2011 TL SH-AWD is a hoot to drive!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Banned

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts
2011 TL SH-AWD is a hoot to drive!!

I have to say that for anyone on the fence about getting the mods I did, GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GET IT DONE!!!! This transformed my car into a real hoot to drive. I'm sure it is even better with the aftermarket exhaust, but what I have paid for is worth every penny. This was $1,500 well spent.

Do not get me wrong, the stock car is no slouch, but with these mods, it takes a great car and makes it even better.

On a side note, does anyone have any recommendations on how to extract the most from the car on the launch and the 1-2 shift to maximize the 0-60? I have tried the shift into sport and paddle shift both at 6k and 6.5k for the 1-2 shift, loading up the brakes, track cont on and off. I have only measured it with trac off and just gunning it in sport letting the car figure out for itself when it should shift. That led to a 5.48 0-60 with the G-Tech.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Torque breaking is a bad idea....
Old 09-19-2011, 09:19 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
I would think the short ram would be hurting it.

at idle it would be sucking warm air, but as you get going cooler air should be circulating.
although, nothing beats a real cold air system.

I wonder how a 6MT would be with your mods.....even quicker!!!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Ditch those cats and you'll feel 3x the gain over what you've currently done once you're above 3k. For reference, my 03 CL-S 6 speed with H/I/E/Test Pipe/Pulleys/CLutch/Flywheel/Port/Polish walked on bolted 07/08 4.6 Liter Mustangs to about 120 from a dig with no issues. Those G-Force meter thnings are pretty unreliable in my experience. The GPS ones have some merit to them, but only in areas where there is REALLY good GPS / Cell phone tower coverage depending on what it's using.

My best times in the CL were 13.8's with 2.1 60' (it's FWD and big on power, you're gonna spin) - but trapping 103, 104 in spite of the brutal 60' launches. Figure the new TL is 300-400lbs heavier than the CL, but also probably +45-50 ft/lbs in the torque department.

Dynojet registered 285 WHP on the ol J32A2. The J37 ought to be about the same fully bolted, with a higher drivetrain loss, but more effective power delivery.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (09-20-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 05:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Torque breaking is a bad idea....
It seems that loading the brakes actually makes the car slower off the line than just getting on it. Doesn't it stress the tq converter and the brakes?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
Ditch those cats and you'll feel 3x the gain over what you've currently done once you're above 3k. For reference, my 03 CL-S 6 speed with H/I/E/Test Pipe/Pulleys/CLutch/Flywheel/Port/Polish walked on bolted 07/08 4.6 Liter Mustangs to about 120 from a dig with no issues. Those G-Force meter thnings are pretty unreliable in my experience. The GPS ones have some merit to them, but only in areas where there is REALLY good GPS / Cell phone tower coverage depending on what it's using.

My best times in the CL were 13.8's with 2.1 60' (it's FWD and big on power, you're gonna spin) - but trapping 103, 104 in spite of the brutal 60' launches. Figure the new TL is 300-400lbs heavier than the CL, but also probably +45-50 ft/lbs in the torque department.

Dynojet registered 285 WHP on the ol J32A2. The J37 ought to be about the same fully bolted, with a higher drivetrain loss, but more effective power delivery.
I don't have an I-Phone. Is there an application for a BlackBerry? Do you think my 0-60 is slower or faster than I am able to record on the G-Tech?
Old 09-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Altegris, I'm really glad you love driving your TL, but you're WAY too young to be saying "a hoot".....
Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Lol, he's nearly your age!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:37 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ ohhhh man , I would take that as a compliment. Do not load the brakes does nothing but mess up your car!
Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Altegris, I'm really glad you love driving your TL, but you're WAY too young to be saying "a hoot".....
Just trying to have some fun. I guess sayig it is a "hoot" is better than saying it is "rad dude".

Originally Posted by Gonzilla
^^ ohhhh man , I would take that as a compliment. Do not load the brakes does nothing but mess up your car!

Please forgive my ignorance, but how does it mess up the car? I can only see the extra real stress being put on the tq converter and trans. Am I wrong? Please clarify. Thanks buddy.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-22-2011 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Altegris
Please forgive my ignorance, but how does it mess up the car? I can only see the extra real stress being put on the tq converter and trans. Am I wrong? Please clarify. Thanks buddy.
^^^

Puesdomaniac & Justnspace, come quick this thread needs you!
Old 09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
Brake torque is not healthy to the tranny.

On one side of the tranny, the engine is spinning hard trying to launch the car fast. But on the other side of the tranny, the brakes are preventing the car from any motion.

Therefore, the tranny is under extreme stress, with one side trying to spin it, and with the other side prevent it from spinning. The engine has generated lots of hp and torque. Where do they all go ? They are simply dissipated inside the tranny, creating destructive heat and stress which will hurt the tranny in the long term.
Old 09-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
"Originally Posted by Altegris
Please forgive my ignorance, but how does it mess up the car? I can only see the extra real stress being put on the tq converter and trans. Am I wrong? Please clarify. Thanks buddy."

Simulation in layman's terms:

Take a 4000lb car...say a 4G TL, and put it in neutral on flat ground. Get out, get behind it, and push it. You might need a grunt or two to get it moving, but you can get it rolling pretty quickly.

Liken this to taking the car from idle, and pressing the accelerator. There's no load on the transmission or drivetrain before you initiate motion, and when you let off the brake and give it gas, it gets rolling pretty easy.

Now, take the same 4000LB car (let's use the 4G TL again). Put it at the top of a 5000ft hill (or call it a mile, whatever). Put the car in neutral, let it roll down the hill backwards, and have someone standing at the bottom of the hill to catch the car and try to push it forward rapidly. What do you think might happen?

Liken this to revving your car to 5000RPM, with the car stopped solid, and slamming all that power down onto the drivetrain immediately. Sure, you might get an absolute bitchin' launch or two out of it before you discover if the weak spot is the trans, the gear, the diff, the axles, the pinion gear, the ring gear, the flywheel, the crankshaft, the CV joint, etc. etc.

Neutral dropping or pre-loading your trans (slipping the clutch on a mnaual) is definitely the ticket to optimal 60' times. It's also the optimal ticket to discovering the tolerances of your drivetrain in a hurry.

What's your VIN number? I want to make sure I don't pick that one up used in the future.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pseudomaniac
"Originally Posted by Altegris
Please forgive my ignorance, but how does it mess up the car? I can only see the extra real stress being put on the tq converter and trans. Am I wrong? Please clarify. Thanks buddy."

Simulation in layman's terms:

Take a 4000lb car...say a 4G TL, and put it in neutral on flat ground. Get out, get behind it, and push it. You might need a grunt or two to get it moving, but you can get it rolling pretty quickly.

Liken this to taking the car from idle, and pressing the accelerator. There's no load on the transmission or drivetrain before you initiate motion, and when you let off the brake and give it gas, it gets rolling pretty easy.

Now, take the same 4000LB car (let's use the 4G TL again). Put it at the top of a 5000ft hill (or call it a mile, whatever). Put the car in neutral, let it roll down the hill backwards, and have someone standing at the bottom of the hill to catch the car and try to push it forward rapidly. What do you think might happen?

Liken this to revving your car to 5000RPM, with the car stopped solid, and slamming all that power down onto the drivetrain immediately. Sure, you might get an absolute bitchin' launch or two out of it before you discover if the weak spot is the trans, the gear, the diff, the axles, the pinion gear, the ring gear, the flywheel, the crankshaft, the CV joint, etc. etc.

Neutral dropping or pre-loading your trans (slipping the clutch on a mnaual) is definitely the ticket to optimal 60' times. It's also the optimal ticket to discovering the tolerances of your drivetrain in a hurry.

What's your VIN number? I want to make sure I don't pick that one up used in the future.
I appreciate your comments. I have NOT loaded the brakes for a launch. I am not going to post my vin number as that is private. I assume you were kidding on that last point. Anyway I just wanted to understand what if any extra or undue stress one would put on the car by utilizing that technique for launching the car. This is not a race car, so I am imagining that there is very little difference in any launching methodology. Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
Brake torque is not healthy to the tranny.

On one side of the tranny, the engine is spinning hard trying to launch the car fast. But on the other side of the tranny, the brakes are preventing the car from any motion.

Therefore, the tranny is under extreme stress, with one side trying to spin it, and with the other side prevent it from spinning. The engine has generated lots of hp and torque. Where do they all go ? They are simply dissipated inside the tranny, creating destructive heat and stress which will hurt the tranny in the long term.

Thank you too for your comments. I appreciate it.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 09-22-2011 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Lol, he's nearly your age!
No way-he's nearly 20 years younger!

Originally Posted by Altegris
Just trying to have some fun. I guess sayig it is a "hoot" is better than saying it is "rad dude".

Hey, if it's a "hoot", it's a hoot!

Altegris, in the lower right hand corner of each post, the middle icon is a multiple quote button. This allows you to answer more than one person in one post!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Drifting

No way-he's nearly 20 years younger

Old 09-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Banned

No way-he's nearly 20 years younger!

Altegris, in the lower right hand corner of each post, the middle icon is a multiple quote button. This allows you to answer more than one person in one post!

I did not see that. Sorry I am a rookie still. Many thanks.