using Voice Recog making Phone Calls - "call Pete" easiest way?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
using Voice Recog making Phone Calls - "call Pete" easiest way?

In the 3G once you had saved ph#s w/ a voice tag. - All I had to do w/ press the phone button on the steering wheel and say for instance "call home" and the car would dial my home #.

I found the voice tag stuff for the 4G - but I cant just press a single button and say 'call or dial Pete'? I have to go to the info screen , then phone screen, then turn the dash button until its over the person's name/# I want to dial from the speed dail section of the phone screen - and then say call Pete?? - I'm I making this too hard or have we gone from 1 step in the 3G to 5 steps in the 4G??

anyone know?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
I think I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 4G SH-AWD--just debating color. However, I'm interested in hearing the response to this question; I cannot imagine they would take such a huge step backward. But, if they did, that might give me pause. I use the bluetooth handsfree all the time; it is one of my favorite features on the car.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Yea, It's Me!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just upgraded to the Blackberry Storm. The phonebook downloaded perfectly. I just need to figure out how not to need 5 steps too.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PGSberg
I just upgraded to the Blackberry Storm. The phonebook downloaded perfectly. I just need to figure out how not to need 5 steps too.
iPhone phone book uploads fine

somebody - help how not to need 5 steps
Old 12-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CR, it works for me so it might be an overlooked step somewhere? Did you set up the voice tag correctly?

For me when I'm listening to XM, I'll hit the voice activation button quickly then let go and say "call Rob home" and the XM switches over to phone mode and bang...? I will go down to the car and retrace my setup as to what I did to make it work for ya... I'll post later.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Okay, so you have your phonebook imported, check.

You have your voice tag setup, check.

So when listening to any audio source and it's time to make a call, hit the left phone button on the steering wheel, then hit speak button just below, then say "call Bmode", and you should be all good.
Old 12-15-2008, 09:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still getting accustomed to this myself. But I think bmode is right: you have to first hit the phone button on the steering wheel, and then hit the talk button on the steering wheel and then say "call (or dial) whoever".

Also have a Blackberry Storm - contacts imported to TL perfectly.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:27 AM
dez
I never post !!!

Originally Posted by crxb
In the 3G once you had saved ph#s w/ a voice tag. - All I had to do w/ press the phone button on the steering wheel and say for instance "call home" and the car would dial my home #.

I found the voice tag stuff for the 4G - but I cant just press a single button and say 'call or dial Pete'? I have to go to the info screen , then phone screen, then turn the dash button until its over the person's name/# I want to dial from the speed dail section of the phone screen - and then say call Pete?? - I'm I making this too hard or have we gone from 1 step in the 3G to 5 steps in the 4G??

anyone know?
I have a 3G with the bluetooth setup and when I say 'call home' it says 'would you like to call (home)' and unless I respond YES, it doesn't do anything ...

Isn't that correct?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 PM
Cruisin'

On my 4GL with a phone number voice tagged, I need to press 2 buttons to dial a number. First, I press the "off hook" button on the steering wheel to get to the HFL page. Then I press the "Talk" steering wheel key and say "dial <voice tag>", and the call is made.

On my old 3G, I could do this with a single button press (the hfl off-hook button).

I think the issue at hand is that the software engineers who designed the nav/HFL system switched to a paradigm where the only voice commands you can ever give are the ones currently displayed on the nav screen, except for climate, audio, and display commands. Or said differently, the HFL (telephone) commands now work like many of the other commands in that you can only "say" the commands highlighted on the screen when you press the "Talk" key. For example, note that when you press the "talk" key, speakable commands are highlighted on the nav screen.

Personally, I wish they would have made the HFL voice commands usable from any mode (or usable regardless of what's displayed on the screen). Hopefully, this can be "fixed" in a subsequent release. I am hoping the SW engineers in question don't look at this new behavior as a "feature", as I certainly look at it as a bug!

But I still love my 4GL SH-AWD!!!

-- Dave
Old 12-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

I don't see this as a problem that they need to fix but rather us TL loyalist just adapt two. It's too buttons, and a voice prompt. By the way after hitting the phone "off hook" button I just say "call bmode" and don't say anything about voice tags, and it works fine. I also noticed that I only have 20 speed dials? Now this is a serious limitation, as the old TL had about 50? What's the deal with that, or am I missing something here?
Old 12-15-2008, 09:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

got it now

Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf
I think I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 4G SH-AWD--just debating color. However, I'm interested in hearing the response to this question; I cannot imagine they would take such a huge step backward. But, if they did, that might give me pause. I use the bluetooth handsfree all the time; it is one of my favorite features on the car.

It's ok MikeElmendorf w/ the help of TLorNotTL and cds-tl I have it down to their 2 buttons or steps

like they said once you have voice tags step up:
1: don't worry where the screen is
2: press phone button
(brings system to phone screen)
3: press talk button and say 'dial Pete'

thanks guys!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

So now that we got that step down, how do we dial a voice activated phone number? We used to be able to simply hit the phone button which muted the music, and say "dial 555-1212". I couldn't figure that one out today on the way home from work?
Old 12-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Cruisin'

Bmode:

Three things. In my post, the syntax "<voice tag>" was meant to imply that at that point, you would say whatever your voicetag was (in your example, it would have been "bmode"). You don't have to say the string "voice tag"!! Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Relative to dialing a number, here's what I've found:

1) press the "off-hook" button to get to the HFL page
2) press the "talk" button and say "dial"
3) press the "talk" button again and say the number
4) press the "talk" button again and say "ok", or press down on the joy-dial

My third point is that although I do love my new TL, I do consider these regressions in the simplicity of the 3GL HFL voice commands to be a bug!! Acura (actually, the navi/hfl vendor) made some common things much harder than they were on the 3GL. When I pay +43K for a car, I don't want to adapt to the car, I want the car to adapt to me

Now again, I love the car, but relative to HFL voice command support, the 4GL is a step backwards, in some respects.

By the way, if you press the off-hook button twice, HFL will automatically call your first speed dial number! I found this out by accident, much to my wife's annoyance, as I learned the car while she was in a mtg

-- Dave
Old 12-16-2008, 03:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ah good stuff, I read that in the manual but it didn't make sense, but now I see the light. That's funny regarding your wife, at least she can't say "you never call me".
Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by cds-tl
I do consider these regressions in the simplicity of the 3GL HFL voice commands to be a bug!! Acura (actually, the navi/hfl vendor)
Judging by the way it works, I think they may have changed HFL vendors. I suspect that the original system was Motorola or Johnson Controls. My guess is that Alpine is doing it now by the way it is so tightly integrated into the navi system.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by bmode
Ah good stuff, I read that in the manual but it didn't make sense, but now I see the light. That's funny regarding your wife, at least she can't say "you never call me".
Yeah, she kinda got a little upset the sixth time it happened
Old 12-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by PGSberg
The Blackberry Storm has the best bluetooth, I have used. Synched great! Much better than the Razer or Q..
Old 12-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Hey Hugh, it's good to hear that the Storm bluetooth works well! I had the Razor and Curve in my old TL, and the both were unstable. My Q is does the storm work with AcuraLink?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
What is worse here is my cell phone does nto support importing the phone book and there is no way to manually enter phone book entries without have call histroy liek there was on the 3G. Boy Acura "ADVANCE" my ass, the HFL in the 4G is astep backwards..
Old 02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KeithL
What is worse here is my cell phone does nto support importing the phone book and there is no way to manually enter phone book entries without have call histroy liek there was on the 3G. Boy Acura "ADVANCE" my ass, the HFL in the 4G is astep backwards..
Trade-in time?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by S2000 Driver
Trade-in time?
Not yet, but boy between the HFL and the way it sorts files on USB drive seems like Acura engineers or whoever they OEM this tech from have there heads in their ass, where was the usability testing....
Old 02-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, the bluetooth phone functionality on the 09 is a significant disappointment.