SOLVED: Acura 4G Tech Package Carplay DIY Installation with Android Tablet (Diagram)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 07:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
SOLVED: Acura 4G Tech Package Carplay DIY Installation with Android Tablet (Diagram)

TLDR: My mission was to install Carplay 3 to my 4G Acura TL without replacing head units or adding the expensive Navistool module. I was unsatisfied with all of the available options for completing this so I completed a DIY project utilizing an Android tablet.
Required Equipment:Optional Equipment:Configuration:
  • Flash Timus Kernel https://www.reddit.com/r/timurskernel/ to the Nexus Tablet
    • This enables Deep Sleep Mode when car has been turned off preserving battery life
    • This allows OTG Charging and Data at the same time (without the Kernel you cannot charge the tablet while having the Module connected)
    • This installs PowerEventManager which enables a welcome and exit screen
    • Many other features listed on the subreddit for using the Tablet as a Dash
  • Make sure to run a full backup of the Tablet before installing and disabling future updates. Timus’s instructions must be followed to the tee.
  • Install MacroDroid
  • Set up Macros for taking a picture when the car is started
  • Sometimes when connecting to Bluetooth the Media Volume on the tablet is reduced, create a Macro to override this
  • Macro can be created to launch Carplay App once power is turned on with the tablet
  • Install Android EQ App of your Choice (makes a hell of a difference over the stock options)
  • Disable lock screen in Developer Options
  • Change wallpaper in PowerEventManager and in the system settings to allow an always on display when connected to power
  • In the AutoKit App change the Settings from Speed to Compatibility for Carplay (You can always use this app to Mirror the iPhone with speed Mode)
  • In the Autokit App change the car logo icon to the Acura logo
Installation:
  • Install the Bluetooth Receiver with the magnetic mount or adhesive by the Parking Brake with both Power and the 3.5 MM AUX input. This enables Forward/Back and Play/Pause once connected to the Tablet via Bluetooth.
  • Take off the housing as shown in the pictures and fish the Micro USB 10-15ft Female to Male from the back of the vents and route to Center Console through the side housing or through the center console housing.
  • Once all connections are placed launch the Carplay App and Lighting Cable to the Module and add the car to the approved Carplay list.
  • Install Matte Screen Protector on Tablet (a must for polarized sunglasses)
  • Turn off wallpaper settings in Acura TL Factory HU
  • Mount Tablet with optional mounting pad above vents. Secure by slightly pushing back.
  • Connect Bluetooth Receiver to Tablet
  • Test AUX Input and configure EQ Settings
  • (Optional) Install Aftermarket Rear View Camera on existing rear view mirror or a separate screen behind dash
  • (Optional) Install OB2 WIFI Dongle and configure on Android App
Sequence of Operation when Car is started:
  • Tablet awakes from Deep Sleep Mode
  • Tablet takes a picture of the occupants of the car
  • Tablet presents the Acura logo for 5 seconds
  • Tablet connects to Bluetooth with a confirmation beep
  • Tablet launches AutoKit Application
  • Once iPhone is connected to Lighting Cord AutoKit App automatically enables Carplay to start
  • Any incoming calls or Siri commands will be routed through the Tablet’s microphone
Sequence of Operation when Car is turned off:
  • ·Tablet shows Acura logo for 5 seconds
  • Tablet enter Deep Sleep Mode with Wifi/Bluetooth turned off
Cons and Fixes:
  • Backup camera no longer visible. Either moving the tablet whenever backing up or installing an aftermarket backup camera. A necessary evil.
  • With the Module the iPhone battery is not charging fast but is also not losing battery life. Option 1 is to buy an iPhone Y Splitter that enables outputs for data and inputs for charging. Option 2 (if applicable with iPhone or charging case is purchased) is to add a Wireless Charging Pad to the car and retain the Lighting Data Input.
  • If there are frequent disconnections confirm the OTG adapter is securely attached to the Micro USB Cable. I experienced big bumps on the road disconnecting before securing cables.
  • If you are obsessed with the finished look consider purchasing a 90 degree micro usb adapter. The connection will not be invisible but less intrusive.
  • If you are an Audiophile consider using an AUX cable to connect the Tablet to the AUX input as an alternate to Bluetooth Adapter. You will still retain the microphone on the tablet to the best of my knowledge.
Lessons Learned/Conclusion:
  • · I have tested this out for over a month with little to no issues even on the new Carplay version.
  • The end results looks very clean in my opinion and is the only way I have found to keep all the factory equipment and add carplay
  • Carplay is a dream especially with Carplay 2. Losing the backup camera is okay in my books because of all the tickets I have saved with Waze.
  • It is possible to use another tablet (like the Fire) for this to work but because of Timus’s Kernel and the exact size of the Nexus I believe this is the best route to go. The Nexus 7 is still a fine tablet by 2019 standards and I found it very snappy.
  • When relaxing in the car parked I have utilized the Mirror Mode to watch Netflix or Youtube. This is a feature that many high end aftermarket radios do not even have.
  • Even when I end up selling the car all of the equipment can be repurposed (eg. A nice desktop accessory for work or the home office for cleanly displaying iPhone)
  • I will continue testing and report any new conclusions I have. Future plans include utilizing an OBD2 sensor and possible installing a mirror mounted backup camera.
  • I honestly do not miss the Factory screen with the outdated UI and Maps.
  • Make sure all of the items you buy when possible have Free or even Paid Returns. There was plenty of trial and error and without returns I would be a few hundred dollars deep.
  • This build has been a dream come true for myself and makes my commute exponentially more enjoyable. Message me with any specific issues and I will try my best to answer.

Bootup and Android Homescreen

Bluetooth Controls

Wiring Micro USB Cable

Wiring Micro USB Cable

Schematic

Acura Wallpaper
The following 5 users liked this post by joelmag:
bigwavedave25 (01-15-2020), cgardner1054 (09-17-2020), CyanideDN (07-23-2020), jtech316 (12-13-2019), Myumi Nguyen (05-24-2020)
Old 10-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, this is some process with lots in depth tech knowledge. I would love to have carplay/android auto in my TL, but this is way beyond my patience.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:23 PM
Cruisin'

I learned most of it while doing this. It wasn't too bad if you have a basic technical skillet. IMO it beats the other solutions out there (includes the Navistool) and Carplay makes this car feel brand new (In fact the Carplay OS is what brand new cars come with)
The following users liked this post:
BigDTL (11-23-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 08:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow this is actually fireeee. Now I would assume you lose the ability to see the backup camera.. Still dope as hell
Old 12-13-2019, 09:57 PM
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts
great work man!!! looks like that nexus fits in that place perfectly. I may snag one and do this as well.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is great work and you've got me thinking, that's for sure. I could never bring myself to pay for yearly map updates, nor pay over $500 for one of the other solutions which each have shortcomings.

Forgive me for asking but I am confused about one thing. Why do we need the bluetooth module at all? Couldn't we hook the headphone jack in the tablet (assuming it has one) to the car's aux port via cable? Pairing the phone with the car's bluetooth lets me keep the in-car microphone. But can the phone do wired Carplay and bluetooth at the same time? Maybe that's the part I'm missing. Does your setup work ok using the tablet's microphone?

I was also trying to figure a different mounting spot in order not to block the backup camera screen. Something like
this this
makes some sense to me, although I didn't check compatibility with the Nexus 7 or whether this will work near the shifter.

Do you remove the tablet when you park?
Old 04-21-2020, 10:43 AM
Cruisin'

Why do we need the bluetooth module at all?
In addition to one less cord running through the car the module allows Pause, Next Track and Previous Track at the convenient location shown. Without this I would have to unlock my phone or reach to the screen whenever switching.

Couldn't we hook the headphone jack in the tablet (assuming it has one) to the car's aux port via cable?
This Nexus Tablet does have an AUX. Sound quality is better which the 3.5MM but for the reasons mentioned before I decided to use the Module.
Pairing the phone with the car's bluetooth lets me keep the in-car microphone. But can the phone do wired Carplay and bluetooth at the same time? Maybe that's the part I'm missing.
When you receive a car with the Carplay Module it routes the call the Tablet. I have disconnected the Bluetooth from the car so that there is no issue with which device takes control of the call.

Does your setup work ok using the tablet's microphone?
The tablet's microphone is acceptable but not great. If this is very important Carlinkit sells a Carplay box with a microphone in it that you can can use instead of the tablet. In the UI you can switch between Microphone preference. You can also increase/decrease DB for the microphone in the app.

I was also trying to figure a different mounting spot in order not to block the backup camera screen. Something like
this this
this this

makes some sense to me, although I didn't check compatibility with the Nexus 7 or whether this will work near the shifter.
If the backup camera is very important there are 'WIFI Backup Cameras' that you can buy and use an App on the Nexus to show. IMO having a tablet stick out cupholder looks very tacky and leaving it there in the sun may cause issues as opposed to tucked into the navi screen. Also the Navi screen is direct in your line of vision and is tucked away enabling the brightness to look brighter.

Do you remove the tablet when you park?
I occasionally push the tablet down if I am going to reverse in a tight spot but I never remove it. I have had it running since the time of this post and have only charged it half a dozen times. I am in the Midwest so our summers are not extreme but the navi screen area is shaded.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:04 PM
10th Gear

Thanks, it all makes sense now. With respect to removal of the tablet, I was thinking more about theft, but you made good points about glare/heat/cold. Back when I first got this car I had an old school iPod (wheel) with a 120G hard drive inside. I left it inside the little drawer in the center console connected to the factory stereo by cable, but in cold weather the thing took 5-10 minutes to start working correctly.. It didn't take long for me to lose my patience with that setup.
Old 04-22-2020, 02:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would this work with a kindle fire hdx? I have one of these laying around that would save some money. I’m not too stressed about the power management just want the ability to use carplay
Old 10-22-2020, 03:53 PM
7th Gear

i think this mount would be great
Amazon Amazon
Old 01-24-2021, 12:46 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by 2010ua9
Would this work with a kindle fire hdx? I have one of these laying around that would save some money. I’m not too stressed about the power management just want the ability to use carplay
Yes, I had no problem using a Fire 7 tablet with this. The concern was the battery drain. I'd have to turn it off whenever parking. There may be additional ways to conserve battery life that I have not looked into.