Not a fan of EPS

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not a fan of EPS

I test drove the TL this weekend (had not driven it before - just went to look at it several times) and I must say that I am not at all impressed by the EPS. The lack of road feel is kind of scary. At slow speeds, it feels almost like playing a video game. I'll admit that it firmed up nicely once the vehicle got moving but even then it was numb.

After I drove the TL, I went next door to the Lexus dealer and took an RX350 around the block. Even that road boad had steering that was more connected than the TL.

I personally think EPS is the way of the future, and it is probably only a matter of time before Acura perfects it. Heck, I saw a big improvement just from the TSX to the TL. But, in the meantime, yuck.

Oh, one other observation is that the dealer had hoards of 3rd generation TLs on his lot and was pushing them out at ridiculous prices. Since those cars are still better than anything in the class, looks like some nice bargains can be had.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:46 AM
i like it dark

i didnt like the EPS either...my father's infiniti m35x has the same type of steering and i hate it...on the highway it constantly feels like im drifting in the lane, then jerking (no homo) when i try to correct the drift...i like my 3g TL's tight feel for the road
Old 10-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
I test drove the TL this weekend (had not driven it before - just went to look at it several times) and I must say that I am not at all impressed by the EPS. The lack of road feel is kind of scary. At slow speeds, it feels almost like playing a video game. I'll admit that it firmed up nicely once the vehicle got moving but even then it was numb.

After I drove the TL, I went next door to the Lexus dealer and took an RX350 around the block. Even that road boad had steering that was more connected than the TL.

I personally think EPS is the way of the future, and it is probably only a matter of time before Acura perfects it. Heck, I saw a big improvement just from the TSX to the TL. But, in the meantime, yuck.

Oh, one other observation is that the dealer had hoards of 3rd generation TLs on his lot and was pushing them out at ridiculous prices. Since those cars are still better than anything in the class, looks like some nice bargains can be had.
While many hated the heavy feel of the 3G steering I love it, great road feel and feedback!!
Old 10-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Wild Child

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I personally like being able to do one-finger turns in the TL but it does take some gettnig used to, especially if you dont drive the car everyday. I never liked torque-steer either so the EPS is like the lesser of two evils. lol
Old 10-21-2008, 05:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 09 doesn't have as much feel as my 04 did. You're right--it is kinda numb and like playing a video game. I also don't like the way it sounds if you saw the wheel while stopped (like straightening the angle for pulling into or out of a parking space). It's got a gravelly, plastic-rubbing-against-plastic sound that's kinda weird.

To its credit, though, it does have a better range than the 04. The low-speed assist is Lincoln Town Car light while the at-speed assist feels firmer than my 04. My 04 didn't have this much range. However, the 09 feels somewhat "dead" and needs better on-center feel to avoid the drifting that the OP mentioned. It does seem to require more of my attention than my 04 to hold it straight and steady.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wildchild_8635
I personally like being able to do one-finger turns in the TL but it does take some gettnig used to, especially if you dont drive the car everyday. I never liked torque-steer either so the EPS is like the lesser of two evils. lol
I agree with you. I like it. Its better at high speeds but I like it in the parking lot. The person who says it drifts and he has to overcorrect needs to pay more attention to the road. I have noticed nothing even remotely close. I think this TL drives better than any of my previous (3) 3G TLs.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:39 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
the EPS on the new TL is ok. I've taken a short drive with it and its not that great like the old hydraulic system, but the MPG saving are nice. I find that the road feel is non-existent in the TSX, but somewhat existent in the 4G TL. The TSX feels very fake, the TL feels a bit more realistic. Granted both are ok, I appreciate the extra MPG from it. In conclusion:

The EPS is great for those who don't really push their cars, like your average joe owner who buys the car. But EPS is ok for those of us like us, enthusiasts.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose EPS means Electronic Power Steering and not Earnings Per Share. For a non tech guy like me, I wish someone would have clarified the acronym.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by csmeance
the EPS on the new TL is ok. I've taken a short drive with it and its not that great like the old hydraulic system, but the MPG saving are nice. I find that the road feel is non-existent in the TSX, but somewhat existent in the 4G TL. The TSX feels very fake, the TL feels a bit more realistic. Granted both are ok, I appreciate the extra MPG from it. In conclusion:

The EPS is great for those who don't really push their cars, like your average joe owner who buys the car. But EPS is ok for those of us like us, enthusiasts.
I appreciate the MPG savings too - and that is part of the reason why I see this as the way of the future. And, as they always do, I am sure Acura will perfect this new feature. But, right now, I feel it just ruins the TSX and at least detracts from the TL.

Totally agree with you that the TL is an improvement over the TSX.