HFL dropping link

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 07:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I've figured it out for those that are continuing to have problems.

So, this has caused me all kinds of headaches with my '13 TL Advance since I bought it; turning off WiFi didn't work and my phone was constantly dropping calls.

Today when looking at my phone and WiFi settings, I noticed that the WiFi toggle would turn itself on and off even if I wasn't touching it. What I realized (remembered) is that Android (not sure about iOS) has a feature where it uses WiFi or Bluetooth to help with location services; so, the phone was turning on the WiFi for a couple of seconds and then turning it back off. Because of this, I thought WiFi was off, but.... it really wasn't.

To fix this in Android, do the following:
- Settings
- Disable "Wi-Fi scanning"

My phone is a Samsung S6 Edge+ running Android 6.0.1, so I do not know if the steps will be the same for you or not.

While on a conference call this morning, my phone disconnected ~10 times in thirty minutes, since doing this earlier today, my phone hasn't disconnected during a call.
Old 12-07-2016, 09:26 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by wlrottge

So, this has caused me all kinds of headaches with my '13 TL Advance since I bought it; turning off WiFi didn't work and my phone was constantly dropping calls.

Today when looking at my phone and WiFi settings, I noticed that the WiFi toggle would turn itself on and off even if I wasn't touching it. What I realized (remembered) is that Android (not sure about iOS) has a feature where it uses WiFi or Bluetooth to help with location services; so, the phone was turning on the WiFi for a couple of seconds and then turning it back off. Because of this, I thought WiFi was off, but.... it really wasn't.

- Settings

My phone is a Samsung S6 Edge+ running Android 6.0.1, so I do not know if the steps will be the same for you or not.

While on a conference call this morning, my phone disconnected ~10 times in thirty minutes, since doing this earlier today, my phone hasn't disconnected during a call.
Going to try this!
Old 12-12-2016, 04:38 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Update the Gracenotes

I was having the same problem with my iPhone 7. It first I thought it was the module that controls the bluetooth because the phone was newer. If you go to the Acura grace notes site and update the firmware it will allow you to connect to bluetooth and play music music from your phone. Also every six months grace notes updates and it would be best to do that so that way if you buy new phone as I do every year you wouldn't have to worry about any of those connectivity problems. The firmware is outdated with the new phones so even though the phone and recognize the car and connect periodically this system moves it out because it doesn't know the difference between the Wi-Fi would've Bluetooth so disabling Wi-Fi only helps temporarily

Last edited by Jamel Laval; 12-12-2016 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Added more information
Old 12-12-2016, 08:12 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jamel Laval
I was having the same problem with my iPhone 7. It first I thought it was the module that controls the bluetooth because the phone was newer. If you go to the Acura grace notes site and update the firmware it will allow you to connect to bluetooth and play music music from your phone. Also every six months grace notes updates and it would be best to do that so that way if you buy new phone as I do every year you wouldn't have to worry about any of those connectivity problems. The firmware is outdated with the new phones so even though the phone and recognize the car and connect periodically this system moves it out because it doesn't know the difference between the Wi-Fi would've Bluetooth so disabling Wi-Fi only helps temporarily
Gracenotes didn't work for me, it actually seemed to make it worse
Old 12-13-2016, 04:52 PM
Cruisin'

Since making the change that I mentioned two weeks ago, the HFL has worked great! Even if I leave WiFi turned on, the connection almost never drops, so the problem seemed to be with the phone attempting to connect to every hotspot that it encountered as part of the location services feature.

Even with WiFi on, I've only disconnected during a call once in two weeks; with it off, I haven't dropped a call yet.

If you still have problems even with WiFi off, your phone is probably still turning the WiFi on as part of it's location service, so you will have to figure out how to turn that feature off and will likely be good to go.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:11 AM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by RedneckCPA
I am running a Samsung S7 on Verizon. Running 6.0.1.

And it worked when I first got the phone but was intermittent. Now it is a total failure. And turning off the Wi-Fi does not help me.

My phone pairs fine with my wife's Odyssey or my aftermarket S2000 radio.
Wow thats is odd. We have used a Samsung S7 edge, S6 and a S2 3 and 7 Note all in my 2013 TL, each one has/had stream music and the phones work perfect
Old 12-22-2016, 04:53 AM
10th Gear

I'd like to thank wrottge for finally solving this problem of disconnected
after going through 3 phones since getting my 2012 TL with the same BLOODY problem it finally seems to work with turning off
Disable "Wi-Fi scanning" on my 3rd week now and seems good
Old 03-07-2017, 01:26 AM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by wlrottge

- Settings

Originally Posted by Jamel Laval
Originally Posted by 6rapporti
I'd like to thank wrottge for finally solving this problem of disconnected
after going through 3 phones since getting my 2012 TL with the same BLOODY problem it finally seems to work with turning off
Disable "Wi-Fi scanning" on my 3rd week now and seems good
My HFL started acting funny just last week after a recent update using a S7 edge btw. Followed what Jamal instructed and still didn't work and it actually did made it worse. So I decided to disconnect my battery and start all over again and repeated the Gracenote process followed wlrottge instructions and Bam!!! All is back to normal. Was going to give up and just order me a replacement for the module thingamajigger but thankful that I didn't have to.
Old 03-12-2017, 09:39 PM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Soal Man
My HFL started acting funny just last week after a recent update using a S7 edge btw. Followed what Jamal instructed and still didn't work and it actually did made it worse. So I decided to disconnect my battery and start all over again and repeated the Gracenote process followed wlrottge instructions and Bam!!! All is back to normal. Was going to give up and just order me a replacement for the module thingamajigger but thankful that I didn't have to.

So gracenote update from acura's website, then you did the Disable "Wi-Fi scanning" option and everything works?
Old 03-12-2017, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Blaze9
So gracenote update from acura's website, then you did the Disable "Wi-Fi scanning" option and everything works?
Did the Gracenote update from Acura's website and it didn't work it actually made it worse. Here's the steps I took that made it work for me Samsung S7 edge
Step 1. Delete your phone(s) that was paired to Bluetooth in your car and make sure you do that on your phone as well and that your Bluetooth is off.
Step 2. Make sure you turn your vehicle completely off. After that's completed unplug your battery. After 2-5 min plug it back in.
Step 3. Start your vehicle. Then dial in your security code for your center console. Once completed start your Gracenote download. This link explains it best on how to download it into your system. I did it with the cd https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-a...cenote-707163/ Note: I didn't put it on accessory mode because downloading the Gracenote took damn near like 17 minutes to complete and didnt wanna drain my battery. During that time I disabled my Wi-Fi scanning etc.
Last step setup your Bluetooth and make sure you enable your phone to share media and contacts and it should work. It's that settings icon display thats on the right side to Hands Free link
Good luck

Last edited by Soal Man; 03-12-2017 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:50 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Soal Man
Did the Gracenote update from Acura's website and it didn't work it actually made it worse. Here's the steps I took that made it work for me Samsung S7 edge
Step 1. Delete your phone(s) that was paired to Bluetooth in your car and make sure you do that on your phone as well and that your Bluetooth is off.
Step 2. Make sure you turn your vehicle completely off. After that's completed unplug your battery. After 2-5 min plug it back in.
Step 3. Start your vehicle. Then dial in your security code for your center console. Once completed start your Gracenote download. This link explains it best on how to download it into your system. I did it with the cd https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-a...cenote-707163/ Note: I didn't put it on accessory mode because downloading the Gracenote took damn near like 17 minutes to complete and didnt wanna drain my battery. During that time I disabled my Wi-Fi scanning etc.
Last step setup your Bluetooth and make sure you enable your phone to share media and contacts and it should work. It's that settings icon display thats on the right side to Hands Free link
Good luck
Awesome, thanks for the instructions. Let's see what this does. I'm on an S6 edge so hopefully similar results should be awesome.
Old 04-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
I have the same problem with 2014 TL SH-AWD and iPhone 6S running the latest OS. Someone recommended to do the following:
Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Call Audio Routing - change it form Automatic to Bluetooth headset.

I just learnt about it, so I didnt have a chance to test it but, I will report back in a week or so if this fixes the problem.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mlody
I have the same problem with 2014 TL SH-AWD and iPhone 6S running the latest OS. Someone recommended to do the following:
Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Call Audio Routing - change it form Automatic to Bluetooth headset.

I just learnt about it, so I didnt have a chance to test it but, I will report back in a week or so if this fixes the problem.
did this fix work for your iphone 7?
Old 05-21-2017, 09:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Newbie03TL-S
did this fix work for your iphone 7?

It seems like this did a trick for me; however, I have iPhone 6S, not 7.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:38 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
On my iPhone 7 Plus turning off the wifi when I enter the car has always worked for me. It's simple and minimally annoying.
Old 10-11-2019, 06:00 AM
1st Gear

HFL Dropping and Static Noise

I have a 2011 TL and my HFL system has slowly deteriorated over the years. It began about 2 or 3 years ago when my bluetooth devices would randomly drop and then reconnect. For a while I thought it was my phone. But after having an Android and several different iPhones having the same issue; I'm confident it's the stereo. Additionally, I started to get loud static noise when first starting the car. It always resolves itself after about 10 minutes of driving - but it really is a nuisance...especially when coupled with the overall connection frequently dropping. The static happens when its cold as well as recently started happening on 70+ degree mornings. Has anyone had any similar issues? Any resolutions?
Old 10-11-2019, 12:34 PM
Keeping TL until 2029

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
I recently replaced the XM antenna and it fixed my reception issues for XM. Maybe try replacing the Bluetooth Antenna?

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-a...solved-889293/