Cellphone Holders?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 AM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Cellphone Holders?

i recently got a Samsung Galaxy Note 2, its a giant phone, and no im not compensating for anything.

i was wondering what and where ppl are using a cellphone holder. traditional cellphone holders/clamps and spider clamps.

ideally id like to place my cellphone right here:

all thoughts and suggestions are welcomed.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:13 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
I put my phone in the side out tray in the center console.
On my prior cars, I've always bought the vent mounts.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:21 AM
moabizzi

the phone is too big to fit in the slide out tray, i tried it the other day. i just saw some videos on youtbe, it looks functionally sound, but might be too big for our car. it could also help when driving in someone elses car who doesnt have navigation. so far thats option number 1.... thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 10:26 AM
moabizzi

just saw the pro clip for the TL, has anyone used these?

http://www.proclipusa.com/brodit-veh...244-12995.aspx
The following users liked this post:
Megatron_79 (05-29-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM

Received 1,020 Likes on 792 Posts
you can use pro clips but they are expensive..

i leave mine in the little center pocket on the handrest.. it doesnt fit in there all the way as it kind of is in a slanted position.. but i always have bluetooth on so i really dont pick up my phone physically..

i also have a samsung note 2.. and if your trying to text on that.. good luck.. it takes two hand unless your using the one-hand settings option.. but your not suppose to text and drive anyways
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had good luck with the Kensington Winshield/Vent mount (Model K39210US) with an IPhone. Not sure if it would fit yours. I mounted it on my vent, which is a good position with using navigation apps. Alternatively it has a suction cup dash/window mount.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
I put my iphone 5 on top of the ledge in front of the navigation screen. My case is sticky and it doesn't slide around on turns!
Shellyduchsk8s (01-16-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 01:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
The pockets on either side of the center console near your knee are perfect for holding my phone.
Shellyduchsk8s (01-16-2013)
Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by potmilkz
you can use pro clips but they are expensive..

i leave mine in the little center pocket on the handrest.. it doesnt fit in there all the way as it kind of is in a slanted position.. but i always have bluetooth on so i really dont pick up my phone physically..

i also have a samsung note 2.. and if your trying to text on that.. good luck.. it takes two hand unless your using the one-hand settings option.. but your not suppose to text and drive anyways
i tried driving with it in there, but the way i drive, i feel like id keep hitting it with my elbow or snap off the inside tray.

ive been keeping it on the cup holder cover, but when i have a water bottle/gatorade/coffee it doesnt fit there.

the BT on it sets right up and thats what i usually use, never text and drive, just read em quickly and put the phone back. i set up a swipe response "driving.... call or wait" if its really important.

side note: did you root and flash anything on the SGN2? did u figure out how to set up a VPN to get Acura MSGs on there?

Originally Posted by Packagingpro
I put my iphone 5 on top of the ledge in front of the navigation screen. My case is sticky and it doesn't slide around on turns!
i bought a sticky pad from walmart and through it up there, i have a case and it doesnt slide around with that either. but everytime i get a txt/call/email it give a glare on the navi screen.

Originally Posted by RIneuron
I have had good luck with the Kensington Winshield/Vent mount (Model K39210US) with an IPhone. Not sure if it would fit yours. I mounted it on my vent, which is a good position with using navigation apps. Alternatively it has a suction cup dash/window mount.
i saw vent clips, im leaning towards one, but i dont like the look of em that much. the pro clips would actually look nice too, but potz is right, there really expensive.

i might try to Frankenstein some things together and see if i can make a cheaper alternative to the pro clip. why hasnt anyone in Hong Kong made a cheaper version of these pro clips

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
The pockets on either side of the center console near your knee are perfect for holding my phone.
i keep cologne and a lighter in the pocket near the driver side and i dont wanna lean over to pull the phone out from the other side, dont wanna take my eyes off the road and lean over, might pull the steering wheel that way, maybe when im really sleepy or have my mind someplace else i'll mess up, dont wanna risk it.

in the door "cubby" i keep my manual and a bag of jolly ranchers, love those things.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 01-13-2013 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 01-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts
I had a proclip mount in my maxima. I think it was totally worth the price. Was very sturdy and integrated well.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 289 Likes on 171 Posts
My DIY phone holder. Kind of mickey mouse it. At least it holds my phone. YES, below the phone holder is a portable GPS....and YES I know my TL comes with a GPS...I'm a tester for Magellan GPS.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:43 PM

^^ looks cool but looks very messy imho.. i like a clean car
Old 01-11-2013, 07:58 AM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by KB1Spec
My DIY phone holder. Kind of mickey mouse it. At least it holds my phone. YES, below the phone holder is a portable GPS....and YES I know my TL comes with a GPS...I'm a tester for Magellan GPS.

where did you get that piece which is attaching your trim/molding to the cellphone holder?

i was thinking about using something similar but attaching it further down, around the area where the pro clip attaches (want it close to the charger).

wanted to use a strip of thin metal (any suggestions on the thickness? id think the thinner the better, but has to be strong), which i could hook under the trim and punch a hole, maybe the strip has perforations in it, so i can use a vent mount or any kind of holder to secure on their with a nut/washer/bolt.

i want it to look clean, have it be gun metal or black in color.

anyone ever remove the right panel trim? is there anything i can hook onto down there?
Old 01-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Safety Car

The piece I have was part of some phone kit that I have laying around in my garage. I used to install phone kit, gps and tracking system for cars. So I have some junk laying around in my garage. Bu you can just go to any hardware store and buy a "L" Shape bracket and then a phone holder that holds your phone. You can get it at ebay.

To install the L bracket, I pull out the side trim. I remove the trim that goes along the glove box after that you need to take out the side trim. Its good if you place a flat trim remover between a piece of cloth to pry out the trim. For me, I just slide in the L bracket along the gap of the trim and I didn't have to screw anything in. It just slide right in very tightly. You can see I have put both my phone holder and also my portable GPS. On my set up, the gap are very visible because the thickness of my L Bracket was kind of tight. But yes, a semi thin L bracket should be ok.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:49 PM
moabizzi

The piece I have was part of some phone kit that I have laying around in my garage. I used to install phone kit, gps and tracking system for cars. So I have some junk laying around in my garage. Bu you can just go to any hardware store and buy a "L" Shape bracket and then a phone holder that holds your phone. You can get it at ebay.

To install the L bracket, I pull out the side trim. I remove the trim that goes along the glove box after that you need to take out the side trim. Its good if you place a flat trim remover between a piece of cloth to pry out the trim. For me, I just slide in the L bracket along the gap of the trim and I didn't have to screw anything in. It just slide right in very tightly. You can see I have put both my phone holder and also my portable GPS. On my set up, the gap are very visible because the thickness of my L Bracket was kind of tight. But yes, a semi thin L bracket should be ok.

Thanks for the tips KB, i ordered a gps holder from ebay, once that comes in im gonna stop by homedepot and pick up the metal piece. and i'll take pics of it while i install, and if it works out well and looks nice, i'll make a DIY guide if anyone is interested. wish me luck
Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I also have a note 2 now and need a holder in our car that looks clean. Waiting on more pics!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:23 AM
Safety Car

can get this for the note 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Gala...item2a26926e60

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Gala.../dp/B0094G0Y5C
Old 01-13-2013, 10:46 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Put it in your trunk so you're not using it while driving.
Mr Marco (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 10:53 AM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
I also have a note 2 now and need a holder in our car that looks clean. Waiting on more pics!
Soon.... i ordered the holder already, waiting for it to come in so i can hack away at it with my dremel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Wi...item2a26d783ee

this is the holder i purchased. my reasons for getting this one... US seller so it has fast shipping, didnt wanna wait 30 days to get my stuff from HK.
Cheap, so if i mess it up, no big loss, back to the drawing board.
Dont want to keep taking my case off and on while entering and exiting my car to clip it into those clips. Those clips were the first ones that came to mind, small and clean looking, but taking the cellphone case on and off would annoy the hell outta me.

Originally Posted by UA6
Put it in your trunk so you're not using it while driving.
i employ that tactic with my kids so i dont get distracted
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
What could possibly be worse than a piece of shit sticking out of your dash? An even bigger piece of shit stuck to your windshield.

SAVE YOUR MONEY and keep your eyes on the road.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
What could possibly be worse than a piece of shit sticking out of your dash? An even bigger piece of shit stuck to your windshield.

SAVE YOUR MONEY and keep your eyes on the road.
no ones sticking it on the dash or the windshield, if u read through the whole thread ud realize that its gonna be modded and placed someplace more pleasant to the eyes and functionally in a better location. but ur input is appreciated and we share the same sentiments towards the holder. lets see what becomes of the mod
Mr Marco (01-13-2013)
Old 01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Safety Car

This dock looks like it could work. Mount it on the flat plastic in the NAVI area and have it swing down and hold the phone...What you guys think?

Last edited by pimpin-tl; 01-13-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:09 PM
moabizzi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkgffRvAM2c

This dock looks like it could work. Mount it on the flat plastic in the NAVI area and have it swing down and hold the phone...What you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiuejzHj9y8
in front of the navi screen? wouldnt that just block the view of the navi and the radio head unit? could that be mounted above the passenger side pocket and swivel around towards the gear box?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAbbas
in front of the navi screen? wouldnt that just block the view of the navi and the radio head unit? could that be mounted above the passenger side pocket and swivel around towards the gear box?

Agreed

But who needs navi?
Old 01-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MoAbbas
No it wouldn't. You mount it on the passenger side front corner farthest away from the screen and it won't be in the way of it. And it hands down over the radio.

I would say yes to mounting it on the pocket and swivel around. But will it stay stuck? That area is textured vs flat in front of the NAVI.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been looking for a good way to mount my GS3 if you try this let us know how it works out. Pics would be great!

I was looking at mounts that attach to the DC outlet on the center trim but could not find one that looked good and is high quality. It seems like it is positioned well and a short swivel mount with a DC plug for support would work perfectly. Has anyone already tried this?
Packagingpro (01-19-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 AM

i think the proclip is the best for your needs.. but i think my galaxy note 2 is too big for the proclip..
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM
moabizzi

Proclip has an attachment for the NOTE 2 but it costs $80. waaayyy too much for a holder, rather spend 10 bucks and an hour of my time to making one and donate the rest to a charity than spend it on that.

gonna be getting the holder either tomorrow or wednesday, gonna see what i have to work with regarding the depth of the holder and placement. im gonna figure out a way how to secure a thin strip of metal under the right passenger trim and have it come out to where i can secure attach the case.

anyone have any suggestions on what to use?

so far ive been looking at the pics KB1 posted as a reference to how and what to do.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:29 PM
moabizzi

So i got the holder today, and i went to lowes to buy my "mounting bracket". i went with a 1/16" (thick) x 3/4"(wide) x 3'(legnth) strip of aluminum. i spoke to a worker at lowes, turned out he has a degree in Engineering, so he was the perfect guy to talk to, he said that it should be more than stable enough to hold the weight of the phone and holder. he told me to use JB Weld to attach the plastic holder to the aluminum and it says on the package that it can stand up to 2424psi.

i cut a piece off the strip to go see where i could mount and what, which angle should be good. heres what i came up with.

Going to trip this up, probably up to the point where the pocket starts, maybe a little bit longer, an inch maybe.

thinking about adding another piece of aluminum, using the JB weld, to extended out which the plastic piece (3rd pic in this thread) will be JB welded to aswell.

showing how far its sticking out, needs to do this to clear the side pocket.

plastic piece which will be JB welded to the aluminum strip

Cellphone holder which will connect to the bracket. it has a dial on the back which rotates .

anyone want to add there ???
Old 01-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Safety Car

Hmmm piece of metal looks too flimsy to me. Don't believe what everyone tells you that work at lowes. Lol.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:41 PM
moabizzi

Hmmm piece of metal looks too flimsy from a real engineer. Don't believe what everyone tells you that work at lowes. Lol.
lol, it was on there strong, i was thinking about clipping some plastic out from under the trim to get it in there deeper. but it was on there strong.

any advice or suggestions?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:56 PM
moabizzi

Im going to paint it flat black, and add an NFC tag to the holder to turn on the BT and driving mode and other apps that come to mind... auto text response app is the only thing right now.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:03 AM
Safety Car

drill a hole onto the holder and mount a screw and nut behind the bracket.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:13 PM
moabizzi

Took some scotch tape to hold the two pieces of aluminum together and the bracket to the aluminum.

going to take it to the car soon and attach it to see if i like the placement and if it'll work. i'll put my cellphone case into the holder to get a feel of what it might look like.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:20 PM
moabizzi

drill a hole onto the holder and mount a screw and nut behind the bracket.
i thought about that but the holder,that attaches to the mount which is attached to the aluminum, its pretty much flush to the mount, so a screw wouldnt be flush and the holder wouldnt fit. the plastic piece is a few mm thick, so countersink'ing the screw seems a bit difficult.

im worried about the piece just breaking off or falling off aswell, i thought id drill a few holes into the bracket so the JB weld could come through it and give it some "tooth"

any suggestions?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:20 AM
Safety Car

I think the way you had it mount there is kind of low and I'm afraid the passenger's leg would hit the mount. For me, I like how I mounted my holder because it is somewhat at eye level even though I won't be watching my phone while I driving. At least it doesn't have any obstruction from my passenger. That's my recommendation.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
MoAbbas - Have you had a chance to finish this project yet? I would love to see how the final install came out and your review of how it functions.

I'm still on the lookout for a holder for my Galaxy S3 and will probably try one of the holders on Amazon that plug into the DC outlet in the center dash.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2013, 05:33 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by probmxstyle
What pockets??
Old 01-20-2013, 02:12 AM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by oc48bound
MoAbbas - Have you had a chance to finish this project yet? I would love to see how the final install came out and your review of how it functions.

I'm still on the lookout for a holder for my Galaxy S3 and will probably try one of the holders on Amazon that plug into the DC outlet in th. e center dash.

Thanks!
Sorry for the late response, been running a 103 temp past three days, feeling slightly better today, but nit yet fully recovered.

Close to finishing up, just gonna sand it down and jb weld the parts together tomorrow, and then give it to my cousin whose gonna paint it for me, hes way more skilled than me at it. I added an extra piece of aluminum to the "stem" portion to make it more rigid. I have "dry fit" pics of what i liked and how it looks. I had my little brother, 5'6" 150lb, sit next to it to see if it would effect the way he sat, or if his knee would hit it, i think because the way the bucket seat is, it keeps his knees away from it. Ill post pics tomorrow once i upload em to photo bucket.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:37 AM
moabizzi

Passenger side POV

A shot from Drivers POV

pic of the car in park, i checked if the compartment in front opens and closes, works no problem.

Pic of the car in Drive,

Quick Reply: Cellphone Holders?