Bluetooth Stereo Audio in TL

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bluetooth Stereo Audio in TL

Can anyone tell me, is it possible to use your iphone thru your stereo bluetooth. I know going through the menus you have, aux, HDD and bluetooth, but can you use your phone to stream music? I currently use the audio jack on my iphone to but want to do it wirelessly.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
yep, BT works great - I stream pandora and my amazon cloud without any issues
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by chase101381
Can anyone tell me, is it possible to use your iphone thru your stereo bluetooth. I know going through the menus you have, aux, HDD and bluetooth, but can you use your phone to stream music? I currently use the audio jack on my iphone to but want to do it wirelessly.
When you say stream music, did you mean from your song playlist on your iPhone or from a third party like Pandora? I have an iPhone 4 with AT&T. After doing the initial setup to add my iPhone as a bluetooth device, the TL wil automatically play my mp3s from my iphone when I press the HDD/Bluetooth buttons. If I was in the HDD/Bluetooth mode when I shut off the TL previously, the radio will automatically play my iPhone mp3 after I turn on the car and get past the disclaimer screen for the navigation - no need to have your iPhone in you hand for this to happen.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:30 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
With BT you can stream any audio from your iPhone such as itunes,pandora and iheart radio.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 AM
Mitch-S

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have the iPhone 4s and Siri works as well. Even better than the voice command to make calls and texts.
Old 07-15-2012, 02:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
yup. BT audio works great. would have been nice if it showed song titles. my buddy has the lexus ct200 and it has that feature. not a biggie but still nice to have
Old 07-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by mondster
yup. BT audio works great. would have been nice if it showed song titles. my buddy has the lexus ct200 and it has that feature. not a biggie but still nice to have
FYI, the 2012 model TL does have the song info feature via blue tooth.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:47 AM
2012 TL SH-AWD

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
FYI, the 2012 model TL does have the song info feature via blue tooth.
When you say song info, are you referring on the monitor screen. Mine says Bluetooth on the actual radio.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:53 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
make sure you select right output source from your phone.
If you look to the right of your phone, you will see arrow down or up button (I can't remember correctly) Make sure you select Handsfree Link, not dock connector.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it possible to switch phones on the fly for bluetooth audio? I searched and it seems like you can only switch for HFL and not bluetooth audio.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraw
Is it possible to switch phones on the fly for bluetooth audio?
Not On the Fly. If two phones try to connect via HFL, the system picks the first one it sees. You can disconnect the phone and connect the other using the phone settings. Each phone must support A2DP over BT for music.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
BT works fine but I think that there is a noticeable degradation in sound quality compared to the dock connector.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RIneuron
BT works fine but I think that there is a noticeable degradation in sound quality compared to the dock connector.
Agree with this when I'm playing higher quality files. So, I notice a difference playing my own mp3 files (combination of 320 CBR and v0 VBR). When I'm playing a lower bitrate source, I don't notice any difference between BT and the dock.

And TBH, I'm not 100% sure I really hear the difference, but I know I'm supposed to, so I make myself hear it . One of these days, I'll get someone to help me do a blind A/B test and see what happens.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I notice the volume level on BT strream is lower than the dock connection. Have you guys notice the same?
Old 07-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Yep^ same here.
Tired of technology. Going old school. Anyone here know how to connect my old boombox?
I have a ton of great cassettes that my mom gave me.
How the hell am I going to play those in the car? C'mon, I wanna hear the Celine Dion REALLY BAD!

Last edited by Mr Marco; 07-17-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:14 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3.5mm jack!! LOL

guys, do you guys encounter any dropping of bluetooth during using BT music or call?
Old 07-18-2012, 02:10 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Laws
3.5mm jack!! LOL

guys, do you guys encounter any dropping of bluetooth during using BT music or call?
funny you asked this but it's not the BT dropping off but not connecting at all. Just yesterday, BT didn't connect after starting the car. I've had the car for over a year and have not experience such difficulty with BT connection. I don't think there was an iOS update. weird indeed.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by akiko2012
funny you asked this but it's not the BT dropping off but not connecting at all. Just yesterday, BT didn't connect after starting the car. I've had the car for over a year and have not experience such difficulty with BT connection. I don't think there was an iOS update. weird indeed.
I am able to connect 24/7 except when there is multiple bluetooth phone on the car. I have experience multiple music drop during driving from no reason. I might expect my phone is throwing out weird stuff(it is a 2 yrs old sony arc). I would just want to check have you guys experience this issue as well.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by akiko2012
I have a 2010 TL w/Tech and and an iPhone 4S. I typically have the phone plugged into the USB so it will charge and I get better audio quality from the music I have on it.

Recently, when making or receiving callls, the music does not mute, display does not show the incoming call and there is no ringing through the speakers. This really annoy's my wife as I have the music loud and I miss her calls.

Also, when I go to call using the car, you dial as usual using the "joystick" or selcting from a stored number, the display works as normal, but same as above, the music does not mute, no ringing in the speakers and when the call connects, I have to unplug the phone and use it as I normally would when not in my car.

Not sure why this started happneing and it is one of my most favorite tech features of the car.

Is it just a "setting" that I have changed without knowing it?

The display just above the center stack shows the phone is connected via USB and BT, so I am not sure what is different from before.

Any thoughts on how to fix it would be appreciated.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bugfam4
I have a 2010 TL w/Tech and and an iPhone 4S. I typically have the phone plugged into the USB so it will charge and I get better audio quality from the music I have on it.

Recently, when making or receiving callls, the music does not mute, display does not show the incoming call and there is no ringing through the speakers. This really annoy's my wife as I have the music loud and I miss her calls.

Also, when I go to call using the car, you dial as usual using the "joystick" or selcting from a stored number, the display works as normal, but same as above, the music does not mute, no ringing in the speakers and when the call connects, I have to unplug the phone and use it as I normally would when not in my car.

Not sure why this started happneing and it is one of my most favorite tech features of the car.

Is it just a "setting" that I have changed without knowing it?

The display just above the center stack shows the phone is connected via USB and BT, so I am not sure what is different from before.

Any thoughts on how to fix it would be appreciated.
The way I understand your situation is caused by a program conflict from your phone and your vehicle. USB connected to your phone so your phone is running a media player. BT is connected to your phone and is running the phone module. When there is an incoming call, the phone is not response fast enough to switch between the transition(may be too many program running in the same time). This is my though but I cannot confirm for you. Hope someone who has the technical knowledge can really break it down for you.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Advanced

Thank you for the comments and that is an interesting point, however, I generally listen to the music stored on the HDD and not on the iphone.

When I first purchased the car it worked great, no problems.

I feel it is a setting on either the phone or the car (most likely the car) that I (or the wife) somehow changed and that is th reason it does not work now.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Zelaya
When you say song info, are you referring on the monitor screen. Mine says Bluetooth on the actual radio.
I have Bluetooth audio working on my 2012 Acura TL, but I'm not seeing any song info when using an iPhone 4S. Is there something special I need to does the iPhone 4S not support this?
Old 07-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by macguitar
I have Bluetooth audio working on my 2012 Acura TL, but I'm not seeing any song info when using an iPhone 4S. Is there something special I need to does the iPhone 4S not support this?
It should as mine will display the song info on the nav screen when in the audio mode and I have a 4s as well.

Even if you don't have nav, I believe the screen should show it as well.

I am not sure what setting it is, but check the manual as I am sure it is in the setup.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bugfam4
It should as mine will display the song info on the nav screen when in the audio mode and I have a 4s as well.

Even if you don't have nav, I believe the screen should show it as well.

I am not sure what setting it is, but check the manual as I am sure it is in the setup.
You have a 2010, which I don't believe had Bluetooth Audio. When I connect via Bluetooth Audio, I don't see the song's title/artist info. All I see is "Bluetooth Audio" and I've been trying to unpair/repair, etc. I really wish I could get this to work. When it's plugged in via the dock cable, it shows the title info, but not via Bluetooth Audio.

Any input or tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by macguitar; 07-23-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone have issues with Android connections? I just got the car and haven't synced my phone on bluetooth
Old 08-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the HTC one X. The blutooth works great but the music saved in the cars HDD is the clearest IMO
Old 11-23-2012, 02:10 PM
Racer

Yep. Using the USB plug for the iPhone when streaming audio from Spotify has a better quality than going through Bluetooth. It still is link through Bluetooth when plugged in via USB and the song mutes for phone calls and NAV info.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Irish_Viking

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it go against your data usage to stream Pandora or any internet radio through BT? I would assume it would...
Old 11-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Livestrong_TL
Does it go against your data usage to stream Pandora or any internet radio through BT? I would assume it would...
It depends. With Premium Spotify, the songs you like are available offline when you activate the playlist and it won't use data. Spotify uses very little GB. I listen to it all day at work and when I am in the car and my data usage each month is under 3 GB and I end up with 2 GB that I didn't use typically. I'm not sure about Pandora but I think the Sirious XM App uses a ton of data because they give you a warning screen before listening but I want to try it in the car to see if the sound quality is better than through the car stereo.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Irish_Viking

I only have 500MB of data so I think I'd go over my usage for sure using it for BT radio....
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Racer

I only have 500MB of data so I think I'd go over my usage for sure using it for BT radio....
I agree...500MB is not enough but with Spotify you can pre download what you want to listen to over Wifi at home and play it in the car in offline mode. Spotify has a large selection of songs and albums that can be pre downloaded. I pre download sets off of podcasts as well. There is ways to get around listening to the music you want without it eating up all of your data.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 AM
Irish_Viking

Originally Posted by AnyaBoo
I agree...500MB is not enough but with Spotify you can pre download what you want to listen to over Wifi at home and play it in the car in offline mode. Spotify has a large selection of songs and albums that can be pre downloaded. I pre download sets off of podcasts as well. There is ways to get around listening to the music you want without it eating up all of your data.
I'm going to check out Spotify and see what is has to offer, thanks for the heads up! I download pod casts as well, just started this week to be honest, I always thought you had to pay for them!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:42 AM
Racer

Smile

I'm going to check out Spotify and see what is has to offer, thanks for the heads up! I download pod casts as well, just started this week to be honest, I always thought you had to pay for them!
Haha! Me too! They nickel and dime you for everything else on iTunes/iBookstore, I thought the podcasts were the same way too! I pay $9.99/month for Spotify premium because being able to download any full album or search for any song I want to listen is worth it. Especially is nice if I heard it off of XM Radio. The premium I think is free for up to 30 days but the regular Spotify still offers a large selection of high quality music.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:44 AM
Irish_Viking

Haha! Me too! They nickel and dime you for everything else on iTunes/iBookstore, I thought the podcasts were the same way too! I pay $9.99/month for Spotify premium because being able to download any full album or search for any song I want to listen is worth it. Especially is nice if I heard it off of XM Radio. The premium I think is free for up to 30 days but the regular Spotify still offers a large selection of high quality music.
What's the quality like? I'll take a look at it later, I"m at work right now and not sure if the site would be blocked or not!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Racer

What's the quality like? I'll take a look at it later, I"m at work right now and not sure if the site would be blocked or not!
The quality is very good! There are options within the phone app to change your quality settings but normal quality sounds great! That was what I loved about spotify at first...there CD quality music. You can listen to your same set of music that you have on your phone at work via computer. Your music sits on a external hard drive, and therefore, won't take it up space on your phone. This makes the download speed quick and minimizes the amount of data transfer required.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:30 AM
Irish_Viking

The quality is very good! There are options within the phone app to change your quality settings but normal quality sounds great! That was what I loved about spotify at first...there CD quality music. You can listen to your same set of music that you have on your phone at work via computer. Your music sits on a external hard drive, and therefore, won't take it up space on your phone. This makes the download speed quick and minimizes the amount of data transfer required.
You say the music sits on an external drive. Do you mean your own personal drive or are you meaning an external drive within the site/program? It's late here, I'm tired haha
Old 11-25-2012, 11:33 AM
Racer

You say the music sits on an external drive. Do you mean your own personal drive or are you meaning an external drive within the site/program? It's late here, I'm tired haha
I fell asleep myself...was up late last night. The music is loaded on their site external hard drive in your own personal area within the site. No external hard drive required.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Irish_Viking

That's pretty neat, and for $10 a month, not too bad either
Old 11-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Irish_Viking

Can't get the app in Canada.......awesome
Old 11-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Racer

Can't get the app in Canada.......awesome
No way! Are you serious?!? Did you try to sign in via Facebook?

Quick Reply: Bluetooth Stereo Audio in TL