Amplifier suggestion?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amplifier suggestion?

I want to boost my Premium (8 speakers) sound system by adding an amp and a sub (10inch). Is it possible to use a 5 or 6 channel amp to power all the speakers? I dont want to leave out any speakers with the new set up.
any suggestions on the minimum Watts per channel in order to exceed the stock power?

JL AUDIO G6600 6-Channel Class A/B 600W G-Series AMPLIFIER

JL Audio - 500/5 - Class D Amplifiers
Old 12-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to leave the oem amp in place and use a line leveler/summer like AudioControl LC8, DQL-8 or JL audio Cleansweep cl441DSP. The headunit is digital. Look at JL website for an MDX (els) frequency response. It suxs. L and R channels constantly go in and out of phase.

I am using the LC8 summing sub and front channels to get a decent low range signal to power three 12"subs. Stock speakers running on stock amp give plenty of mids and highs.
On a RTA meter, our cabin gain has a big dip in 50Hz octave. Cleansweep should be able to boost that up to near flat. I have yet to try one. Have heard good and bad things about it.
Basically you need a line level converter. The stock amp has 10 outputs (tech pkg) but about 20 inputs from the head unit. Not sure about Premium. Check out the oem amp in the trunk. How many thin wires(inputs)?

Last edited by My4GTL; 12-16-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SeeVuPlay
I want to boost my Premium (8 speakers) sound system by adding an amp and a sub (10inch). Is it possible to use a 5 or 6 channel amp to power all the speakers? I dont want to leave out any speakers with the new set up.
any suggestions on the minimum Watts per channel in order to exceed the stock power?

JL AUDIO G6600 6-Channel Class A/B 600W G-Series AMPLIFIER

JL Audio - 500/5 - Class D Amplifiers
How much money have you budgeted for your system upgrade? Your OEM speakers are in no way "premium." "Crap" would be a better word choice. You will def want to swap them out or you may not be happy with your end result. Once I get an idea of what you want to spend I will make a recommendation to you of what I would do. I've put a pretty penny into my system and you may not want to spend what I did.

Last edited by Brew0360; 12-17-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the responses...

I have $600 dollars to spend, but I already have a 4 channel amp and a sub to hopefully use and cut down some of that cost. If I must replace the OEM speakers, I would be on board with that too if I have to spend a little more. I like boston acoustics speakers. I would be willing also to spend up to $1000, but I dont want to have to give up features like Blue tooth phone and steering wheel controls in order to upgrade the sound system.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Instructor

oh yeah...haha...I guess I dont have premium anything.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SeeVuPlay
Thanks for the responses...

I have $600 dollars to spend, but I already have a 4 channel amp and a sub to hopefully use and cut down some of that cost. If I must replace the OEM speakers, I would be on board with that too if I have to spend a little more. I like boston acoustics speakers. I would be willing also to spend up to $1000, but I dont want to have to give up features like Blue tooth phone and steering wheel controls in order to upgrade the sound system.
Based on your budget and needing to keep bluetooth and steering wheel controls I recommend that you spend your money and purchase a JBL MS-8. You can connect all of your speakers but I would recommend leaving the center channel connected directly to the MS-8 for your Nav voice and bluetooth. The MS-8 can output 8 channels of which you can map some of your speakers to its internal amp and the others of your choice to the aftermarket amp. Since the price is at your minimum budget adding the MS-8 will allow you to set frequencies, slopes and also 31 band EQ the entire system. You could then replace the speakers when you have additional funds.

Sorry to disappoint you about your premium speakers (system) but I've always been an aftermarket stereo guy and I haven't heard any OEM system that can come close to aftermarket. You will alway see threads where 4G TL owners have complained of speakers cracking and rattling and needing to be replaced. The speaker housing is made entirely of plastic and replacement can be purchased for less than $50. That is why I call them "crap". Just my opinion.

Last edited by Brew0360; 12-19-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crap is the word. I pulled out my rear surrounds and sub from the rear deck to get more pass thru from my 12's yesterday. The rear surrounds are fisher-price plastic. They look toyish. I kinda feel ripped off by the whole els surround experience. lol This car is soooo lucky its a rental (lease). I would have walled it up already with some DC's.

Also this car is lucky that I have kids that have to ride in the back seat or I would have walled it up with DC's even more! j/k

@Brew0360 What do you think of Cleansweep 411-dsp to flatten response from oem headunit? I started a thread named Got SPL? If you would join us and tell us about your system. I am curious as to your setup. I bet it sounds really nice.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by My4GTL
Crap is the word. I pulled out my rear surrounds and sub from the rear deck to get more pass thru from my 12's yesterday. The rear surrounds are fisher-price plastic. They look toyish. I kinda feel ripped off by the whole els surround experience. lol This car is soooo lucky its a rental (lease). I would have walled it up already with some DC's.

Also this car is lucky that I have kids that have to ride in the back seat or I would have walled it up with DC's even more! j/k

@Brew0360 What do you think of Cleansweep 411-dsp to flatten response from oem headunit? I started a thread named Got SPL? If you would join us and tell us about your system. I am curious as to your setup. I bet it sounds really nice.
I would not recommend the cleansweep because you can't adjust the frequency curve after the sweep flattens it other than the bass/treble on the OEM headunit. I would recommend the JBL MS-8 (especially if you have the tech package). I responded to your Got SPL thread and attached my install thread on 9/30/10.