09 TL Techie Details

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 11:01 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
09 TL Techie Details

Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but thus far all of the threads in here are mixed facts and tons of pictures, and tons of people saying it's ugly.

So I figured it wouldn't hurt to start a "techie" thread for the new TL, and as we find out about new features or tech changes we can add them here.

Gathered notes/facts/changes:

- Nav screen is now high resolution
- FULL iPod integration via USB
- Play audio files from a flash drive [assumption since the TSX can do it]
- Audio system will rip CDs to the built in 13GB HDD*
- Nav system is no longer DVD based, much faster boot time - stored on built in HDD*
- Upload custom wall papers via USB flash drive
- Nav system is preloaded with 'scenic drive routes'
- XM NavTraffic w/ rerouting and weather information
- Dopplar radar maps will show weather info [scrollable to see the coverage] on the map and the nav will try to route you around snow/thunderstorms, etc.

*HDD: I'm going to assume this is actually a 30GB HDD; 13GB for personal storage, probably 10GB for Navigation/maps, and ____ amount for the OS/software?

My questions:

- Does the HFL unit support multiple ACTIVE links? I have a BB 8830 and an iPhone, it would be awesome for them both to be linked at the same time, so you can accept a call from either phone.. something like.. "You have an incoming call on [phone name]". THAT would be super handy.

- Does the iPOD integration allow you to play video through the screen?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:04 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
great thread! I'd like to know how this SH-AWD functions in the TL, like what changes have they made specifically for the system in the TL?
Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by iforyou
great thread! I'd like to know how this SH-AWD functions in the TL, like what changes have they made specifically for the system in the TL?
"Torque steer, the TL knows not thy name: The 3.7-liter mill feeds a new SH-AWD model, with a variant of the torque-vectoring, yaw-controlling Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive system previously seen in the likes of the RDX and RL."

I don't know if the system had any major changes made for it to go into the TL; perhaps some changes in the amount it favors fwd/rwd. If I remember correctly, the SH-AWD system is still FWD biased - pretty high like 70% or 80% I think? It will channel the power to the rear wheels and then right/left side as needed but the majority of power is still directed to the front wheels during normal driving.

Just found this blurb from another thread [2004]:

SH-AWD : FWD bias during regular driving. 70/30 front rear power split. Capable of 30/70 split under certain conditions and capable of actively sending all of the power in the rear to either wheel during hard cornering.

Ok so another question if someone knows this - will the TL display the SH-AWD power vectoring in the MID like the RL does ?
Old 08-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fleshy
Ok so another question if someone knows this - will the TL display the SH-AWD power vectoring in the MID like the RL does ?
The MDX, RDX and RL all provide SH-AWD power detail by wheel so my guess is that the new TL will follow suit.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
yaw-controlling Super-Handling All-Wheel-Drive system previously seen in the likes of the RDX and RL."

Just found this blurb from another thread [2004]:

SH-AWD : FWD bias during regular driving. 70/30 front rear power split. Capable of 30/70 split under certain conditions and capable of actively sending all of the power in the rear to either wheel during hard cornering.
There are two flavors of SH-AWD. The RL is the most sophisticated. As noted, the car can vary torque from front to back in a 30/70 to 70/30 split. Of the 70% power sent to the rear, the system can send all (available) power to either rear wheel. The RL uses a carbon fiber drive shaft and a planetary gearset to accelerate the selected rear wheel by as much as 5%.

In the MDX SH-AWD system, the driveshaft is steel, and there is no planetary gear to provide variable wheel overspeed. The overspeed is fixed at 1.7%. Interestingly the MDX is the only one that benefits from Cooperative VSA. This system anticipates instability and tries to use the AWD system to stabilize the car first by shifting torque around. If this fails, it will begin modulating throttle position and applying the brakes as needed. On the track it yields a huge advantages because instead of slowing the car down it helps to maintain speed. It also keeps the brakes cooler since they intervene less.

The RDX is the simplest system. It is essentially the MDX setup minus the Cooperative VSA.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
There are two flavors of SH-AWD. The RL is the most sophisticated. As noted, the car can vary torque from front to back in a 30/70 to 70/30 split. Of the 70% power sent to the rear, the system can send all (available) power to either rear wheel. The RL uses a carbon fiber drive shaft and a planetary gearset to accelerate the selected rear wheel by as much as 5%.

The RDX is the simplest system. It is essentially the MDX setup minus the Cooperative VSA.
Сolin if I lived in the States, I would buy Acura cars ONLY from you...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:46 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

In the MDX SH-AWD system, the driveshaft is steel, and there is no planetary gear to provide variable wheel overspeed. The overspeed is fixed at 1.7%. Interestingly the MDX is the only one that benefits from Cooperative VSA. This system anticipates instability and tries to use the AWD system to stabilize the car first by shifting torque around. If this fails, it will begin modulating throttle position and applying the brakes as needed. On the track it yields a huge advantages because instead of slowing the car down it helps to maintain speed. It also keeps the brakes cooler since they intervene less.

Sounds like the MDX system is different to help with roll over issues since it's an SUV; so you think the TL will get the RL"ish" SH-AWD ?
Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Sounds like the MDX system is different to help with roll over issues since it's an SUV; so you think the TL will get the RL"ish" SH-AWD ?
My guess is that it will get the MDX system. Steel driveshaft, fixed wheel acceleration, but cooperative VSA.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm also curious about pairing two phones to the Buetooth system at the same time. Unfortunately I'm always carrying both a work phone and personal phone. Can the current Acuras do this?
Old 08-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Suzuka Master

No, currently, you cannot pair two phones simultaneously. You can have up to 5-6 devices in the system and the car will pair first with the phone used most often in the car. You are supposed to be able to switch to a second paired phone by saying "next" but I doubt you could do this quick enough if Phone A is paired and Phone B is ringing.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Originally Posted by krio
Сolin if I lived in the States, I would buy Acura cars ONLY from you...
You'd have to live in Hawai'i, though, krio. I'd buy from Colin, too. Actually, I'm waiting for the next in his series of Acura videos when the new TL is officially released.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Yanks in '08!

Any word if the new TL will have adaptive headlights?
Old 08-13-2008, 01:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
You'd have to live in Hawai'i, though, krio. I'd buy from Colin, too. Actually, I'm waiting for the next in his series of Acura videos when the new TL is officially released.
Hawaii?? Even better Bob...
Old 08-13-2008, 04:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by alextclam
Any word if the new TL will have adaptive headlights?
In this case, no word on it probably mean "no" I'd think that it would be worth a mention in at least one of the leaked "First Drive" reviews.

Krio, Bob, thanks for the kind words. - Aloha
Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I swear the Video review from Edmunds(?) with the Chief Eng mentioned it would have the RL system
Old 08-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by Pocus
I swear the Video review from Edmunds(?) with the Chief Eng mentioned it would have the RL system
Its actually the KBB video.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Well... If someone told you that all Acuras have 4 valves per cylinder and the revolutionary VTEC technology like our NSX sports car you would say, 'wait a minute!'

As an educated Honda/Acura enthusiast, you know there are 4 valves/cylinder with SOHC and DOHC, there is intake only VTEC, there is VTEC-E, there is i-VTEC, there is intake only i-VTEC... ok, you get the point. The guy being interviewed, does not want to get his message mixed up or confused so he says, "the new TL has SH-AWD just like our top of the line RL"

I don't know it might get the fancy system, but until they release the technical papers we'll have to wait to find out, but my guess is no.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Well... If someone told you that all Acuras have 4 valves per cylinder and the revolutionary VTEC technology like our NSX sports car you would say, 'wait a minute!'

As an educated Honda/Acura enthusiast, you know there are 4 valves/cylinder with SOHC and DOHC, there is intake only VTEC, there is VTEC-E, there is i-VTEC, there is intake only i-VTEC... ok, you get the point. The guy being interviewed, does not want to get his message mixed up or confused so he says, "the new TL has SH-AWD just like our top of the line RL"

I don't know it might get the fancy system, but until they release the technical papers we'll have to wait to find out, but my guess is no.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Racer

Wonder where the Navi system gets the weather radar data from? XM? Do you have to pay a monthly fee for it? It it included in Nav Traffic that I think you will have to pay for after a period? OR can it pull this data from a cell tower or thru your cell phone too (again, probably for fee) or your home Wi-Fi connection?

Actually, the '09 TL if off my list of cars to buy (for several reasons) but I am liking some of the features of the Navigation Computer (and audio system). And I would not mind paying a >small< monthly fee for the weather radar....but if they want $15 or $20 a month for info I can pull up on my computer before leaving the house or on my cell phone I would not buy it.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JeffNY
Wonder where the Navi system gets the weather radar data from? XM? Do you have to pay a monthly fee for it? It it included in Nav Traffic that I think you will have to pay for after a period? OR can it pull this data from a cell tower or thru your cell phone too (again, probably for fee) or your home Wi-Fi connection?
Its XM NavWeather
Old 08-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Racer

Ok, thanks. Do you know how many months you get "free" with the car? And if you can purchase it separate from NavTraffic? Actually where I live my new car can do without the NavTraffic. Don't get me wrong, they are both great features to have in a car now. But, for me anyway, they need to be priced "reasonably"...I won't waste money on something I won't use.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:40 PM
Team Nighthawk member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My guess is that you'll get 3 months free XM. That's what I got when I purchased back in 2005.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Racer

Ok, thanks. Do you know how many months you get "free" with the car? And if you can purchase it separate from NavTraffic? Actually where I live my new car can do without the NavTraffic. Don't get me wrong, they are both great features to have in a car now. But, for me anyway, they need to be priced "reasonably"...I won't waste money on something I won't use.
Just looked on the XM website, looks like there's are the plans

XM Radio Only $12.95 monthly
XM Radio + XM NavWeather $16.94 monthly
XM Radio + XM NavWeather + XM NavTraffic $19.95 monthly
XM NavWeather Only $9.95 monthly
Old 08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
Racer

Ok, now that Sirius and XM merged, and I'll be able to get Howard Stern on XM, then the $3.99 upcharge for XM NavWeather is "reasonable" I think. Anything beyond $4.00 bucks a month though and I would probably balk. The NavTraffic may be nice too, but as I say, where I live traffic is really not an issue. But if I lived in metro Boston, NY or LA $3.00 would be a reasonable amount to keep you aware of trouble spots (and save you time). It's nice they give you the option to the weather and traffic separate. If they stick to that pricing plan I think it sounds good.

The only gray area here is that I would be a current Sirius subscriber and if I wanted to add Howard Stern (and, say the Elvis Channel, one of my fav channels) to a XM subscription I am not sure if XM would charge extra for that. I am not Sirius XM are sure yet what they will do there. But, again, it's sound like they are being reasonable in their pricing so....

I do like that the sound system will be able to MP3 directly from a USB flashdrive (and full iPod support). I actually have a computer setup to record Howard every day to a MP3 file so I listen to the whole show as my schedule permits. It sounds they listened to people as to what features users wanted in the audio system. If the system could record shows from the XM receiver on a regular schedule that'd be cool too. But that could wear the cars battery down...and if you park in a garage the XM receiver may not be able to get the the satellite signal so....

But all in all the Nav and audio system features and pricing are looking pretty nice for future TL owners.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Jeff, usually Acura gives you 90 days free to test it out. You can purchase NAVTraffic separately.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Ok, now that Sirius and XM merged, and I'll be able to get Howard Stern on XM, then the $3.99 upcharge for XM NavWeather is "reasonable" I think. Anything beyond $4.00 bucks a month though and I would probably balk. The NavTraffic may be nice too, but as I say, where I live traffic is really not an issue. But if I lived in metro Boston, NY or LA $3.00 would be a reasonable amount to keep you aware of trouble spots (and save you time). It's nice they give you the option to the weather and traffic separate. If they stick to that pricing plan I think it sounds good.

The only gray area here is that I would be a current Sirius subscriber and if I wanted to add Howard Stern (and, say the Elvis Channel, one of my fav channels) to a XM subscription I am not sure if XM would charge extra for that. I am not Sirius XM are sure yet what they will do there. But, again, it's sound like they are being reasonable in their pricing so....

I do like that the sound system will be able to MP3 directly from a USB flashdrive (and full iPod support). I actually have a computer setup to record Howard every day to a MP3 file so I listen to the whole show as my schedule permits. It sounds they listened to people as to what features users wanted in the audio system. If the system could record shows from the XM receiver on a regular schedule that'd be cool too. But that could wear the cars battery down...and if you park in a garage the XM receiver may not be able to get the the satellite signal so....

But all in all the Nav and audio system features and pricing are looking pretty nice for future TL owners.
I think people are going to be dissapointed in the XM-Sirus offerings, you will not be abel to a la carte individual channles. If you are XM you'll get an option to get a Best of Sirrus add on that will have bundled channels for sme fee, I expect that to add $4-$6 a month, and the reverse for Sirus users. I have not read anyting about being able to pick a bundle of channels. I think there was a rumour abotu picking some set of channels for a fee, but my guess is they won;t have that for ages, they only owe the cross platform bundles this year I beleive to satisfy the merger requirements.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
I think people are going to be dissapointed in the XM-Sirus offerings, you will not be abel to a la carte individual channles. If you are XM you'll get an option to get a Best of Sirrus add on that will have bundled channels for sme fee, I expect that to add $4-$6 a month, and the reverse for Sirus users. I have not read anyting about being able to pick a bundle of channels. I think there was a rumour abotu picking some set of channels for a fee, but my guess is they won;t have that for ages, they only owe the cross platform bundles this year I beleive to satisfy the merger requirements.
Actually, since the signals are not compatible, the latest I've read is that current XM customers will not get any Sirius content and vice-versa.

At some point in the future, dual-tuner receivers will be produced, and the programming from both sources will be available. In the meantime, if you have XM, you will have only XM and if you have Sirius, you will have only Sirius.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:42 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts

, good info. I knew about the carbon fiber driveshaft and torque % numbers but the other details I did not know. I presume the simplier systems like the Honda Pilot and CRV have no planetary gears and rely on the electronic controlled clutch pack for slippage for taking turns or allow wheel slip/hop?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:41 PM
Racer

>>I think people are going to be dissapointed in the XM-Sirus offerings, you will not be abel to a la carte individual channles.<<

>>Actually, since the signals are not compatible, the latest I've read is that current XM customers will not get any Sirius content and vice-versa.<<

Just to clarify a couple points; The new corporate name is "Sirius XM Radio, Inc." and "Sirius XM" is the new marketing name (XM Canada and Sirius Canada remain separate companies).

Also CEO Mel Karmazin was on Howard Stern July 25th right after the merger announcement (I have a recording of the show) to say they WOULD be offering Howard Stern to XM subscribers. It also sounds like they want to offer the best content on both systems to both subscriber sets. So no, you will not be able to "a la carte" channels (I never said you would) but it's clear Howard will be offered as will most likely sports packages and some other special content (like, hopefully, the Elvis Channel) in some kind of package. I actually think the Sirius 70's channel SUCKS, with that idiotic "Juke Box From Hell".....only radio channel I ever heard that craps on the music it plays. Un-Real. I think I'd pay $3 a month just for the XM 70's channel

But it's clear Sirius XM wants to offer the best content from both systems TO both systems so all their subscribers have a good experience (not just to meet "merger requirements").

Jeff
=======
http://www.marksfriggin.com/news08/7-28.htm
then scroll down to "Mel Karmazin Talks About The New SIRIUS XM Radio. 07/30/08. 7:05am"

"Mel said he was down at XM yesterday and he will be there tomorrow. He said that they're working on getting the call centers set up to offer the best of both products on both receivers. He said that all of the receivers will be able to get Howard's show. This may not happen until September or October. They will extend the SIRIUS content to XM subscribers by that time.

Howard said that nothing changes yet but they will be able to add stuff. Mel said that for four bucks a month they will be able to upgrade to get Howard's show by that time. Mel said that they're going to have XM available to SIRIUS subscribers too but nothing is changing if you don't want it to. "

http://howardstern.com/
.....look up July 30th '08 show:
"Mel noted that the new company has deals with every major car company - and promised that “all XM radios out there” will be able to tune into Howard's show as early as this coming September."
Old 09-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
I presume the simplier systems like the Honda Pilot and CRV have no planetary gears and rely on the electronic controlled clutch pack for slippage for taking turns or allow wheel slip/hop?
Actually, don't Pilots still use VTM-4? This is the precursor to SH and still uses electronic clutch packs, but cannot vary torque across the rear axle. Do CR-Vs even get VTM-4 or are they still using "Realtime 4WD?"
Old 09-10-2008, 01:40 PM
8th Gear

Here is the latest on the Sirius situation.....

Announced yesterday, there will be a best of Sirius on XM and vice versa. Will be $4 per month.

The channels are not surprising outside of MLB was not on the list of XM Best Of channels. Might be a contract issue given the timing of the season, one would think it would be offered next year.

See link for more info on channels to be offered.

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/be...ctobe-6th.html
Old 09-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Racer

"Oprah & Friends", "Public Radio featuring Bob Edwards" AND the "PGA Network" now available to my Sirius radio!!! WhooHoooo!!! Awesome!!

Sorry.....couldn't resist. But that and "The Virus" are the "Best of XM"? No wonder they had to merge with Sirius! I mean compare that to Howard, NASCAR and the Playboy channel.....hehehe

But seriously thanks for posting that chidude.....good info.

It does say "A La Carte radios will be in stores and services will be launched on October 6th." so maybe the '10's Acura models will have the "a la carte" radios and you WILL be able to buy channels "a la carte"....that'd be cool.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Actually, don't Pilots still use VTM-4? This is the precursor to SH and still uses electronic clutch packs, but cannot vary torque across the rear axle. Do CR-Vs even get VTM-4 or are they still using "Realtime 4WD?"
You are correct, the CR-V still has the RealTime 4WD and the Pilot (even the 2G) has the VTM-4. I've only changed the VTM-4 fluid in my wife's 2003 Pilot. Curiously there are two clutch packs on the side (one for each drive shaft), I presume they are operated electronically in parallel but I'll have to look at the service manual for more details.

Note to self, never play Honda/Acura Techical Trivia Pursuit with Colin!
Old 09-11-2008, 10:15 AM
8th Gear

I agree Jeff!!

One of the reasons I followed the XM-Sirius merger is that I really want to get Howard in my car and now I feel much more likely to buy an Acura. An yes, I realize you can get Sirius through aftermarket installs and that this should not be that important to me. But, it is and I am very happy that I can listen to Howard in any Honda product starting Oct 6/
Old 09-11-2008, 12:07 PM
Advanced

Hdd

BTW, the hard drive is 40gig, with 13 dedicated to music.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I am particularly interested in the 3.7's "High-silicon aluminum cylinder sleeves cast directly into the cylinder block" vs. the cast iron sleeves on other J-series engines. I know that S2000, NSX and older Prelude used the carbon fiber reinforced sleeve design, and I'm wondering if this is the next evolution? At first this was simply Nikasil but this seems to be totally different.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spearsoft
BTW, the hard drive is 40gig, with 13 dedicated to music.
where do you find a 40gig harddrive these days?
Old 09-11-2008, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by berite100
where do you find a 40gig harddrive these days?
Good question. I wonder if this is some sort of ultra durable HD and has a lower capacity as a result? The automotive environment has to be hard on a magnetic drive afterall, how close is the read/write head to the platter?
Old 09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Not to answer my own question, but a quick search shows that the head distance is measured in millionths of an inch

Old 09-12-2008, 07:41 PM
Racer

I know the audio system has a MP3 player jack, iPod support, hard dive for MP3's and the CD player can play MP3's..........but I am curious why still no MP3 support on DVD's? Just curious. I actually thought the 3rd Gen TL should have been able to play MP3's from DVD's but that never happened. Just seems like such an easy feature to add. And since most home computers have been able to burn DVD's for several years now........??? 900 songs on a DVD, with a 6 disk changer that would have been nice.

Also no AAC support? That's not a biggie I guess, but that also seems like it'd be an easy feature to add.

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4676

Quick Reply: 09 TL Techie Details