Wish the TL came with more options

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wish the TL came with more options

I think that if the TL had a couple more options then it would make it soo much better. For the money that we spend on the car, a couple more options wouldnt hurt.

For example.....
1. Cooled seats
2. Heated steering wheel
3. Automatic fold-in mirrors and
4. Adaptive headlights

Why doesnt acura add these options for the TL? I think many TL owners would appreciate these options very much.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Ask yourself how many additional cars they would sell with those extras? How many sales could they lose due to the higher price?
Old 09-21-2009, 10:16 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
those should be in the RL
Old 09-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
At least offer the options at an additional cost for the consumer rather than Honda forcing you to take what THEY think you should have.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by cp3117
At least offer the options at an additional cost for the consumer rather than Honda forcing you to take what THEY think you should have.
They have NEVER in their history of building cars done a 'line by line' option list. Asking for this would be like asking for them to merge with Toyota. They have made concessions on this with the number of packages on the TL, do you realize there are now 8 versions of TL? This is before you add in the color combinations. Acura continues to have a price advantage, and this is realized because of domestic production, efficient suppliers, and yes, limiting options.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Colin
Ask yourself how many additional cars they would sell with those extras? How many sales could they lose due to the higher price?
Im saying that they should offer those as options/extras. Sorry for not clarifying. If the buyer doesnt want those options then they dont have to add them. But other people might like to have those options and be willing to spend the extra money. I know i would want those extras and i would definitely be willing to spend the extra money.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
/thread
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
Originally Posted by 2010_TL
Im saying that they should offer those as options/extras. Sorry for not clarifying. If the buyer doesnt want those options then they dont have to add them. But other people might like to have those options and be willing to spend the extra money. I know i would want those extras and i would definitely be willing to spend the extra money.

NO THANKS!!

One of the things I like about Acura is no BS item-by-item option list.

Look at everyone else that does that. You end up with a "wish list" that is NEVER in stock on the lot. If you special order most of your negotiating leverage goes away. So you either compromise what you want or pay more than you should. PITA. You can have it.

Acura's come well equipped and pretty much loaded. And with none of the hassle of adding the "Bluetooth module" that also adds or requires Xenon lights, a roof rack and parking sensors - all for the amazing option price of $4399.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:41 PM
Suzuka Master

I understood what you're saying. But what I was saying is that Acura (tries) to be in the business of mass producing cars. This means that you don't stop the assembly line to build Bob's car with one unique feature. This not only drives the cost of Bob's car up (I know he's willing to pay) but everybody elses' car. The truth of the matter is that if they really passed on the cost of XYZ option, you wouldn't want to pay the 'real price' for it.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1. Cooled seats
2. Heated steering wheel
4. Adaptive headlights
[/.
1. Agreed, but only because I like it COLD in my car, not because I think it's of value to the market.
2. For cold hands? Srsly. Is this a big deal in snow country? I'm lost.
3. Neat nice-to-have, but honestly, if the parking spot or the garage door opening is that narrow, I ain't parkin' there anyway!
4. Agreed! I mean, just seems natural.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:03 AM
User-approved

I have to agree with Colin, and my name is Bob. Acura built the perfect car for me.

To me, those items are esoteric and add nothing to the driving experience of a TL. In fact, I think they are options on other makes as band-aids for the lack of Acura's Advance. If they become available at some point, it will be because of industry trends and not the desire to have the same or more wowie bling than the other brand.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
NO THANKS!!

One of the things I like about Acura is no BS item-by-item option list.

Look at everyone else that does that. You end up with a "wish list" that is NEVER in stock on the lot. If you special order most of your negotiating leverage goes away. So you either compromise what you want or pay more than you should. PITA. You can have it.

Acura's come well equipped and pretty much loaded. And with none of the hassle of adding the "Bluetooth module" that also adds or requires Xenon lights, a roof rack and parking sensors - all for the amazing option price of $4399.
Agreed.

Also, I know the RL has cooled seats and adaptive headlights. I'm surprised the TL doesn't have AFS, since there's the cut-out/marking for an AFS light in with the temperature gauge.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:30 AM
2014 MDX Tech / sh-AWD

Hopefully they'll address some of these by coming out with an Advance package similar to what they have on the ZDX and MDX.

I agree with Colin. I think their packages are ok as far as content. What I struggle with is the color combination (e.g. putting 19" wheels on a car should not impact the exterior or interior colors offered to a customer)

Where I would really like to do is see Acura focus more is on things like folding seats, direct injection and their transmission. They are at least ~4 years behind everybody else with their 6sp AT. Unacceptable for a company trying to claim a luxury title
Old 09-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For example.....
1. Cooled seats
2. Heated steering wheel
4. Adaptive headlights
Man...if Acura put these in the TL, they won't even be able to sell the 7 RL's they sold last year...
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Intermediate

memory steering would be a welcome addition to the tl also
6 spd trans probably makes it at mid cycle change
Old 09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Advanced

I love the fact that Acura does the no-BS tech package that basically includes everything. I also think I got a heck of a lot of car for what I paid. I can't stand Toyota that tries to nickel and dime you to death. That being said, I do see little touches on other cars in this class that I wish my TL had like those listed in this thread that would further add to the already "Advance" experience. To me, it would add to the driving experience because I would really feeling i'm piloting some kind of starship/gundam (thats why I love the styling) :P I'm an engineer so I love the tech. On top of what's already been listed in this thread, my wishlist for the TL would also include the following in the tech package:

1. Full color display in the instrument cluster (09 A4, '10 lacrosse, 10 SRX)
2. 2nd Full color radio/xm/HVAC/clock display on dash (08+ Highlander)
3. Rain-sensing wipers
4. Wrap around cameras (EX35)
5. Add turning guidelines to backup cam (07+ G35/7)
6. Auto rear window sunshade (genesis sedan)
7. Adaptive cruise control (genesis sedan)
8. Power-telescoping steering column (G37)
9. More features in the, and better looking NAV GUI/OS (Nissan's NAV GUI looks a lot better IMO)

Because I see these features in cars within the TL class and if Acura were to add even some of these to the TL, they would really need to overhaul the RL. I fail to see what their strategy is with the RL.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rhn75
They are at least ~4 years behind everybody else with their 6sp AT. Unacceptable for a company trying to claim a luxury title
Well, nobody expected the problems with the 5 AT that came out in 2000. They weren't really sorted out till 2003. If 6AT work were delayed because of this, then it accounts for the ~4 year disadvantage.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want a car exactly your way you should go buy a BMW, Mercedes, or better yet, a Porsche. Porsche will even make your car in any personal custom color you wish! Many manufacturers offer extensive factory installed options. Oh wait, you probably already excluded those brands because of the higher cost for similar features. So what your saying (as many tend to do) is that you want a factory customizable car like the aforementioned brands, but at an Acura price. See the flaw in the logic?

Everything that most usually complains about with Acura is easily obtained across the street; factory options, multiple body and engine variants per model, low demand V8 engines, etc. But for some reason, instead of just going there and buying one of them, people buy Acura's at a cheaper price and then complain they don't offer those choices.

Don't mean to sound too harsh. It's human nature to want it all. But to paraphrase what Colin (and I) are saying; There's no free lunch.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:27 PM
10th Gear

All this options talk, reminds me of my first car purchase. It was a 1983 Honda Prelude. There were 2 options:
1. Color (it came in red, blue or silver)
2. Auto or manual transmission
I purchased a red automatic and was hooked on Hondas and later Acuras ever since
Alan
Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AlanJG1
All this options talk, reminds me of my first car purchase. It was a 1983 Honda Prelude. There were 2 options:
1. Color (it came in red, blue or silver)
2. Auto or manual transmission
I purchased a red automatic and was hooked on Hondas and later Acuras ever since
Alan
LOL, I was just saying the same thing in this thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...5#post11336395\
Jump to my post #58
Old 09-23-2009, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
The problems with options, which is evident with the Germans, it is never a la carte. In order to get HID one has to get a package. Packages typically run in the thousands. Want cooled seats, get the Tech package. Want Adaptive headlights then it's another package.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Not to mention most of the high end options are not even available unless you get the highest available package anyway. No brand allows you to check a box and get only what you want and don't want. The reason for all the options and packages is to keep the initial buying cost down not cater to the customers build options.
Old 09-23-2009, 03:51 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Not to mention most of the high end options are not even available unless you get the highest available package anyway. No brand allows you to check a box and get only what you want and don't want. The reason for all the options and packages is to keep the initial buying cost down not cater to the customers build options.
Yeah, basically, spread the goodies across multiple packages but make them attractive enough so people will check all of them. BMW comes to mind with its executive package for the 335 and M3...
Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JAB00
The problems with options, which is evident with the Germans, it is never a la carte. In order to get HID one has to get a package. Packages typically run in the thousands. Want cooled seats, get the Tech package. Want Adaptive headlights then it's another package.
Yeah I was kinda disgusted by Lexus too for the same reason. It seems like Acura, Hyundai Genesis, and I guess Infiniti too are the best bang for your buck in terms of luxury gadgets.
Old 09-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
U can get those features on a Maxima for crying out loud....Boo Acura
Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
To some it might be really frustrating that even basic options are not present on $40k model car, but are available on lower models; however, I really love pre-owned market when it comes to Honda/Acura. Buying a pre-owned Honda/Acura is a breeze – no need to make multiple calls to dealers to ensure an option is available, while it actually might not be (I know it is a common practice for salesman’s to lie about options just to lure customers inside – there is always an excuse that “we sold that one” lol)
With Acura – it is really easy, since you only get 1 or 2 packages, in some cases auto/manual comes into a play, but that is all. The same goes with Honda – want a model with a sunroof, just shop for EX and you will get the sunroof regardless of the model.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 AM
Instructor

I think sometimes customers want to be different. Like for a TL you have 2 trim levels, so either you have that or you have that. Other automakers give you a little bit more differentiation even infiniti and lexus. Look at the black out roof, something so simple but it adds differentiation in the brand. Acura could have done the same thing to increase it sales and add differentiation I think. People always want to be either above the rest and different. Little subtle cues can make this possible
Old 09-24-2009, 11:14 AM
Advanced

i think the base TL has more than enough options when compared to other similar sedans. i am completly happy with my choice in Acura over others
Old 09-24-2009, 11:21 AM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just want to know if people wanted these options how come they didn't go buy the cars with these options? It is what it is, acura doesn't market their cars this way.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by bagbklyn
Like for a TL you have 2 trim levels, so either you have that or you have that.
What? As someone faced with the number of ways to order the TL from the factory, there are way more than just to versions to order. It is true there are essentially two, but there are 8 versions available for dealers to order; before you get into color combinations.

UA8F2AJW 2010 TL 5AT
UA8F5AKW 2010 TL TECH 5AT
UA8F5AKXW 2010 TL TECH 18" WHEEL 5AT
UA9E5AKW 2010 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT
UA9E5AKXW 2010 TL SH-AWD TECH HPT 6MT
UA9F2AJW 2010 TL SH-AWD 5AT
UA9F5AKW 2010 TL SH-AWD TECH 5AT
UA9F5AKXW 2010 TL SH-AWD TECH HPT 5AT
Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Both points of views (large option list vs low) have their pros and cons.

Sure, my friend's 2008 Hyundai Azera has more options that lack in my new TL but the bottom line for me is that I'm driving a bullet-proof luxury sedan with options that suits my needs.

-travis
Old 09-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Instructor

What? As someone faced with the number of ways to order the TL from the factory, there are way more than just to versions to order. It is true there are essentially two, but there are 8 versions available for dealers to order; before you get into color combinations.

UA8F2AJW 2010 TL 5AT
UA8F5AKW 2010 TL TECH 5AT
UA8F5AKXW 2010 TL TECH 18" WHEEL 5AT
UA9E5AKW 2010 TL SH-AWD TECH 6MT
UA9E5AKXW 2010 TL SH-AWD TECH HPT 6MT
UA9F2AJW 2010 TL SH-AWD 5AT
UA9F5AKW 2010 TL SH-AWD TECH 5AT
UA9F5AKXW 2010 TL SH-AWD TECH HPT 5AT
All of those options are really nice but it really comes down to 2 options, Tech or not tech, that's as far as the interior goes. That's what i'm talking about. Go to infitniti's webpage and build a car and you will see quite a few more options. I have a 4gTl so i'm not saying its not the best bang for the buck. But a little more differentiation wouldn't help. You go into the dealer ship after 2 questions they can tell you what they have in stock which is great but that just goes to show you that there isn't that many options to choose from.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Instructor

All of those options are really nice but it really comes down to 2 options, Tech or not tech, that's as far as the interior goes. That's what i'm talking about. Go to infitniti's webpage and build a car and you will see quite a few more options. I have a 4gTl so i'm not saying its not the best bang for the buck. But a little more differentiation wouldn't hurt. You go into the dealer ship after 2 questions they can tell you what they have in stock which is great but that just goes to show you that there isn't that many options to choose from.
I take it back there ar emore options like $3,000 rims, which is the biggest ripoff if you ask me, they look good but wow for the money acura charges you can get some really nice after market wheels, if they had more options for wheel at a lower cost that would be nice also.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All of those options are really nice but it really comes down to 2 options, Tech or not tech, that's as far as the interior goes. That's what i'm talking about. Go to infitniti's webpage and build a car and you will see quite a few more options. I have a 4gTl so i'm not saying its not the best bang for the buck. But a little more differentiation wouldn't help. You go into the dealer ship after 2 questions they can tell you what they have in stock which is great but that just goes to show you that there isn't that many options to choose from.
See, that's one of the things that ALWAYS keeps me coming back to Acura: The short list of options. You either get a basic set of expected options or a package of tech options.

There's nothing I HATE more than trying to configure the "perfect" car at the dealership. It always ends in "Well, we have one with this, but not this. You can get these, but not this." OR "Well, we'll have to order your car from the factory and that can take forever."

With Acura, it's always been manual/automatic, tech/no-tech, and a color.

Wham, bam, thank you ma'am and you're out the door.

It really does make for a much more positive buying experience.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Suzuka Master

All of those options are really nice but it really comes down to 2 options, Tech or not tech, that's as far as the interior goes.
Ok, didn't I acknowledge that in my post when I said "It is true there are essentially two, but there are 8 versions available"? Your post didn't say you were only talking about interior options.
I take it back there ar emore options like $3,000 rims, which is the biggest ripoff if you ask me, they look good but wow for the money acura charges ...
What are you talking about? A Tech Package TL is 38,835 plus dest, and a Tech Package TL with Factory Optional 18" wheels is 39,835 plus dest. Isn't that a $1000 difference? Someone please check my math.
Old 09-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
If Acura wanted to they would put the adaptive headlights in their vehicles the RL has them, it's obvious they think they are useless since they did not put them in the ZDX which is supposed to be their new flagship. I wish the TL had a telescopic wheel and bi-xenon headlights. The ZDX will have bi-xenon headlights so Acura's poor excuse of the high beam not warming up fast enough when coupled with the DRL is lame.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Instructor

The SH-AWD models have interior differences...

Originally Posted by MIKEYDRED
If Acura wanted to they would put the adaptive headlights in their vehicles the RL has them, it's obvious they think they are useless since they did not put them in the ZDX which is supposed to be their new flagship. I wish the TL had a telescopic wheel and bi-xenon headlights. The ZDX will have bi-xenon headlights so Acura's poor excuse of the high beam not warming up fast enough when coupled with the DRL is lame.
The TL does have a telescopic wheel. Do you just mean power telescopic?

Also, I imagine the DRLs on the ZDX are not shared with the high beams.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Haelous
The SH-AWD models have interior differences...
The interior differences aren't options that you asked for they just happen to come with the SH-AWD. A thicker steering wheel is the only difference interior wise unless there is something else?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:10 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I take it back there ar emore options like $3,000 rims, which is the biggest ripoff if you ask me, they look good but wow for the money acura charges you can get some really nice after market wheels, if they had more options for wheel at a lower cost that would be nice also.

BMW upgrade wheels are a $5k add on (3 series); Leather is $1500; Nav is $2100; AT $1325; Heated Front Seats $500; Moonroof $1100; Power Seats w/memory $1000; Bluetooth $750; Leather Steering Wheel with Paddle Shifters is $100 BUT you have to add the Sport Pkg for another $2000.

IOW, to get something "comaprably equipped" to the TL you have to add ~$13k in options.

If you don't want the $13k that Acura INCLUDES for you, buy an Accord.

If you want to pick and choose, shop elsewhere. You CANNOT beat the value that Acura puts into the TL.

IMHO.
Old 09-25-2009, 06:12 AM
Instructor

The interior differences aren't options that you asked for they just happen to come with the SH-AWD. A thicker steering wheel is the only difference interior wise unless there is something else?
The different color stitching all around, the front seats have different bolstering, and the different color paddle shifters.

The bolstering is noticeable after having a FWD/Tech as a loaner. Obviously the other two are just cosmetic, but they're there.

Quick Reply: Wish the TL came with more options