Wish the TL came with more options

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 08:03 AM
2014 MDX Tech / sh-AWD

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think people are missing the point of the thread here. No one is saying Acura should break up their current packages into separate line items. But they can (and should) add additional packages or increase the content of the current ones to match the features that are becoming more common on other cars
Old 09-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bagbklyn
I have a 4gTl so i'm not saying its not the best bang for the buck.
As I said before not disagreeing with you bearcat, but a little more differentiation wouldn't hurt. And in a BMW 3 series to go from stock 17's to the 18's are only $600, yeah they nickel and dime you ever where else but it's on $600. If us FWD guys want to upgrade any wheels from the dealer we have to pay a minimum of $2000. I guess just like the original poster said I wish the TL came with more options.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think everybody agree that more options is always good but we know all buyers will pay the price if we go that way.

So more options = might be "yays"
But it means more cost = "boohs"
Since most of the new stuff is useless to me, the "boohs" win against the non-existent "yays" relating to my particular case.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:44 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I definetly agree that there are some nice/cool thing Acura could add. And some they could remove (cassette deck?).

But if I had to choose Cooled Seats or Adaptive Headlights or Rain Sensing Wipers versus a 6 or 7 Speed AT or DSG, I'll take the mechanicals vs the spiffy gadgets.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 PM
Instructor

The thing that scares me with the mechanicals is Honda's track record, look at the 2g Acura trannies and the honda v6 trannies. It will be interesting to see how the ZDX 6 speed automatic holds up. I guess we won't know until we see a TSB for an oil jet pump or something. But I would definitely take more gears. I guess let the zdx be the guinea pig and then let it trickle down to the TL
Old 09-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
I take it back there ar emore options like $3,000 rims, which is the biggest ripoff if you ask me
If us FWD guys want to upgrade any wheels from the dealer we have to pay a minimum of $2000.
So first it's $3000 and now its $2000 and in fact, factory wheels are $1000. Dealer accessory wheels will vary by dealer so you are free to shop around. As you noted, you can buy good aftermarket wheels if you want or not. Also, if you're in a snow belt, you can use or original wheels for snow tires because you still have them.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colin
So first it's $3000 and now its $2000 and in fact, factory wheels are $1000. Dealer accessory wheels will vary by dealer so you are free to shop around. As you noted, you can buy good aftermarket wheels if you want or not. Also, if you're in a snow belt, you can use or original wheels for snow tires because you still have them.

Sorry I didn't specify for FWD option the dealer want $2500 for 18's and more for the 19's which brings you to the $3000 mark so that is where the 2 different prices came from. In the 2nd post I did specify FWD but after 5 minutes you can't edit your post unless you send a message to the admin which is why it wasn't specified. My fault.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Sorry I didn't specify for FWD option the dealer want $2500 for 18's and more for the 19's which brings you to the $3000 mark so that is where the 2 different prices came from. In the 2nd post I did specify FWD but after 5 minutes you can't edit your post unless you send a message to the admin which is why it wasn't specified. My fault.
They changed it for the 2010 TL. You can now get 18" wheels on the FWD for $1000 from the factory.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Sorry I didn't specify for FWD option the dealer want $2500 for 18's and more for the 19's which brings you to the $3000
Yeah, I see that you're talking about the accessory wheels and not the factory options. The confusion is understandable because the thread is about (assumed) factory options. As I noted, the accessory wheel prices will vary by dealer, so you could always shop around, just as you would with any aftermarket wheel. You can keep or sell your old 17's.

Originally Posted by Haelous
They changed it for the 2010 TL. You can now get 18" wheels on the FWD for $1000 from the factory.
I noted this in an earlier post, but remember that you have to be on the FWD Tech Package to select the +$1000 option.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I see that you're talking about the accessory wheels and not the factory options. The confusion is understandable because the thread is about (assumed) factory options. As I noted, the accessory wheel prices will vary by dealer, so you could always shop around, just as you would with any aftermarket wheel. You can keep or sell your old 17's.

I noted this in an earlier post, but remember that you have to be on the FWD Tech Package to select the +$1000 option.
Son of A, I guess I should have waited for 2010, I Would have got the $1,000, thanx for the kick in the balls acura, time to look aftermarket.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Son of A, I guess I should have waited for 2010, I Would have got the $1,000, thanx for the kick in the balls acura, time to look aftermarket.
Sorry. Didn't intend to make you feel bad...
Old 09-25-2009, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Thumbs up You are correct

The SH-AWD models have interior differences...

Yes power I know it has a telescopic wheel. Although I probally would never need it would be nice to know it's there especially when ever other vehicle in this class has it all about keeping up with the competition. In terms of the DRL and bi-xenon head lights you are right the ZDX probally doesn't share the function but the TL didn't have to either the 07-08 had DRL and bi-xenon they should have made the two components independent of each other, it was a saving measure just like the cheap plastic handle and the hard plastic on the front door map pockets compared to the 3rd generation, other than that I love my car and feel i made a wise decision. The handles will go as soon as a better upgrade is available.

On another note does anyone know if Acura has switched to the ice blue led gauge cluster for lighting on the 2010 model TL's. I was on the website and it appears to be the case, I do not think they should have went with white and let Infiniti steal their signature blue lighting. I believe the ZDX utilizes the ice blue background and ever other Acura san the TL?

The TL does have a telescopic wheel. Do you just mean power telescopic?

Also, I imagine the DRLs on the ZDX are not shared with the high beams.
Yes power I know it has a telescopic wheel. Although I probally would never need it would be nice to know it's there especially when ever other vehicle in this class has it all about keeping up with the competition. In terms of the DRL and bi-xenon head lights you are right the ZDX probally doesn't share the function but the TL didn't have to either the 07-08 had DRL and bi-xenon they should have made the two components independent of each other, it was a saving measure just like the cheap plastic handle and the hard plastic on the front door map pockets compared to the 3rd generation, other than that I love my car and feel i made a wise decision. The handles will go as soon as a better upgrade is available.

On another note does anyone know if Acura has switched to the ice blue led gauge cluster for lighting on the 2010 model TL's. I was on the website and it appears to be the case, I do not think they should have went with white and let Infiniti steal their signature blue lighting. I believe the ZDX utilizes the ice blue background and ever other Acura san the TL?
Old 09-25-2009, 10:27 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I've owned 4 Acuras and it sucks to see adaptive cruise, radar, and cooled seats as options on lesser cars, import and domestic. ow.
U have to spend $50k+ to get that on one Acura, but Buicks offer it.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 123456SPEED
I've owned 4 Acuras and it sucks to see adaptive cruise, radar, and cooled seats as options on lesser cars, import and domestic. ow.
I agree that there should be a TL Tech ACC / CMBS. They're probably refraining from this because of the RL's existence though.

They're biggest problem isn't any of that though.

A G37x with Premium, Navigation, and Technology package is $42,165.

A TL SH-AWD Tech is $42,385.

The TL has better interior quality, better nav and better stereo, but the average person seeing the two next to each other may not see much besides paying more for less with the TL. I don't even know if the TL has the scratch resistant clear coat.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:12 AM
Suzuka Master

That's probably because Buick needs to offer it to offset their lower "brand cache." Just as someone pointed out earlier, BMW lacks a lot of things that the Acura has standard. Why? Because they don't need it because of their higher brand cache. Each manufacturer selects features that they feel their product needs in their market segment. Just as Acura "out features" BMW, Nissan (Maxima) and as you mentioned Buick sometimes "out feature" Acura.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Instructor

The TL has better interior quality, better nav and better stereo, but the average person seeing the two next to each other may not see much besides paying more for less with the TL. I don't even know if the TL has the scratch resistant clear coat.
I ventured over to the infiniti forum before I got the TL and one of the biggest complaints is the paint. They said ever since infiniti stated that self repairing paint crap its seems that the car scratches more easily. But there's oms feature acura has that actually make it look good, one which made me not get the infiniti is the sideview mirror turning signal. Which is another sour note with the infiniti customers and the fact that the maxima has cooled seats and side mirror turning signal and their luxury brand cousins don't. So I guess acura really isn't so bad, at least they don't give honda better options then acura's.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:08 AM
Suzuka Master

I ventured over to the infiniti forum before I got the TL and one of the biggest complaints is the paint. They said ever since infiniti stated that self repairing paint crap its seems that the car scratches more easily.
LOL, I can only wonder if the active ingredient in this paint is snake oil? J/K What forum did you visit? I'd like to poke in there.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
That's probably because Buick needs to offer it to offset their lower "brand cache." Just as someone pointed out earlier, BMW lacks a lot of things that the Acura has standard. Why? Because they don't need it because of their higher brand cache. Each manufacturer selects features that they feel their product needs in their market segment. Just as Acura "out features" BMW, Nissan (Maxima) and as you mentioned Buick sometimes "out feature" Acura.
I do not want to start Acura vs BMW, but the thing is, Acura does offer more in standard build; however, BMW can be optioned what Acura has and even more - yes, BMW will cost more, but BMW will also offer more.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Instructor

I ventured over to the infiniti forum before I got the TL and one of the biggest complaints is the paint. They said ever since infiniti stated that self repairing paint crap its seems that the car scratches more easily. But there's oms feature acura has that actually make it look good, one which made me not get the infiniti is the sideview mirror turning signal. Which is another sour note with the infiniti customers and the fact that the maxima has cooled seats and side mirror turning signal and their luxury brand cousins don't. So I guess acura really isn't so bad, at least they don't give honda better options then acura's.

Haha! No need to feel bad about the paint then.

Yeah, the Maxima has a lot of features for what it is.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you nailed it right there speed. I was browsing the Lacrosse website and it seems like buick gives more tech in that car than the TL, and for comparable price. To me, that's kind of a kick in the balls.

I agree that buick has less brand cache and as one poster put it, buick probably needs to do this in order for ppl to consider their cars. At the end of the day, I can't see myself driving a buick as the TL fits me best. But that doesn't exactly make me feel great when I'm seeing features that I would have liked, show up on a buick or maxima...
Old 09-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mlody
I do not want to start Acura vs BMW, but the thing is, Acura does offer more in standard build
And that is Acura's game plan. It has been like this since their inception back in the mid eighties. IMO, there is nothing to complain about, since everyone had a choice what to buy.

Originally Posted by omnimax
But that doesn't exactly make me feel great when I'm seeing features that I would have liked, show up on a buick or maxima...
Can you imagine how all those BMW drivers feel when they have vinyl seats and halogen lights on their 3 series?
Old 09-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
As a plus, some of the major features that the TL offers are far superior, in many opinions, than what you can get in anything in class, like the navi and stereo. The only thing most would like to see is the 6AT, even though they are one of few who still offer a real 6MT, and it would be nice to add or option adaptive lighting. Given the price point, I don't mind to turn my own headlights and wipers on and adjust them. Those auto features, along with the power adjusting steering wheel, are nice but don't really add anything, the basic functions are still there. Adaptive cruise is worthless IMO, as many don't even use the regular. Even at that they will still be a part of the MMC, right now they still are looking to keep some distinction between the TL and RL. Things like radar and night vision are just beginning to go mainstream and are still at a high premium in most luxury segments anyway, that would add too much cost and goes back to the cache thing.

I do not want to start Acura vs BMW, but the thing is, Acura does offer more in standard build; however, BMW can be optioned what Acura has and even more - yes, BMW will cost more, but BMW will also offer more.
This is true, but to add a bit of perspective, equally equipping a 335xi sedan as close as possible to a TL SH tech hpt will result in a $13k premium in the 3, including destination, based on sticker only, which could be more given sales price. That's without any exclusive or high end options, either. It only has adaptive lighting, headlight washers, and rain sensing wipers over the TL, which in return the TL has 19's and a rearview camera. Those costs off set each other so it still leaves that premium. That extra cost is up to the consumer to decide if worth it, based on other areas, but it has nothing to do with features.

For the same content plus a little more and another $6k one can get a 535xi instead of the 3. What starts out as a $11k difference when unequipped turns into half, reason being the 5 comes with more standard features and charges less to add some and includes some others like special paint, leather, and steptronic, to name a few. Even at that the extra $6k adds the obvious, a larger mid sized sedan more like the TL, but as far as features go only a 10 way seat with power head restraints and a power steering column with memory. And people cry about the distinction of the TSX V6 vs base TL. When they come pre loaded and they cost much less there is going to be an even less price distinction. Again no 19's or back up camera either and that is again just equally equipped, best as possible, no exclusive or high end tech, nothing added that the TL doesn't have, just what's included in the packages. No war and I am not disagreeing just pointing out that the extra cost does include more just not in what many, and not specifically anyone here, assume is added features.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Bleed Honda Blue

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I will option for the "Cooled Seats" but definitely NO on heated steering wheel.

3. Automatic fold-in mirrors and Maybe
4. Adaptive headlights Maybe