TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
In addition to the above reply, I called ACR to find out if there is anything I can get because the car has been sitting so long. They said there is nothing else besides taking the loaner or rental which was alternate choice of transportation and you were given a loaner. I said what about a complimentary oil change, they said that's the dealer's discretion. I call the dealer ask for the SM and he was in a conference call do some lady took over and denied the free oil change when i asked. after I i got off the phone i received and email from the SM with a complimentary oil change after they replace my inflator. So it worked out. I shouldve pushed for the resurfaced rotors but ill take an oil change prolonged engine life. My current oil life is at 50% and the car hasnt been driven in 3 months besides bringing it around the block and changing siedfor street cleaning.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks like on Monday, May 16th we will find out more info on the passenger-side airbag inflators:

In today’s announcement [May 4], NHTSA indicated that Takata will issue the first of five Defect Information Reports (DIR) on May 16, 2016, in which it will declare a defect in non-desiccated front airbag inflators in certain model year vehicles and in certain regions.
Honda Statement Re: NHTSA Recall Expansion Announcement ? 5/4/2016 | Honda Airbag Info
The following users liked this post:
crxb (05-14-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 02:19 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Honda says recalling millions more cars with Takata airbags

Looks like just more of the same info;

AFP 7 hours ago

Tokyo (AFP) - Honda said Friday it would recall millions more cars equipped with airbags made by crisis-hit supplier Takata, in a widening of a scandal that has already led to the biggest auto recall in US history. The announcement came as Honda, Takata's top airbag client, warned its full-year net profit dropped by a third as it wrestles with mounting costs linked to an airbag defect blamed for at least 13 deaths and scores of injuries.

"On top of the 30 million Takata airbags already announced for a recall, we are going to recall an additional 21 million units globally," a Honda spokesman in Tokyo said Friday.
Takata is struggling to deal with a defect that can fire metal and plastic shrapnel from the airbag's inflator canister hurtling toward drivers and passengers when its deployed.

The Tokyo-based auto parts giant has been hit by lawsuits and regulatory probes over claims it hid flaws in its airbags for years. The scandal has affected about a dozen global automaker clients, also including Toyota and Volkswagen.
Investigators increasingly suspect that the chemical used to inflate Takata airbags can be unstable, especially in hot and humid conditions, and cause the inflator canister to rupture.

On Friday, Honda said its net profit in the fiscal year to March was down 32 percent from a year ago to 344.5 billion yen ($3.2 billion), which it blamed mainly on "quality-related costs" linked to the airbag crisis. "We had thought that Honda was turning the corner on the negative impact of the airbag accidents but it appears to be hanging around," said Shigeru Matsumura, analyst at SMBC Friend Research Centre. Takata this week logged an annual net loss of $120 million as US auto safety regulators order a mounting number of recalls to deal with the problem.

Last week, Honda said two people died in Malaysia after Takata-made airbag inflators exploded, raising the global death toll to 13. Most of the fatalities have been in the US, including a Texas teenager who died in March after her 2002 Honda Civic collided with another car, activating a defective Takata airbag. "The science clearly shows that these inflators become unsafe over time, faster when exposed to humidity and variations of temperature," the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said last week.

The first airbags covered in new US recalls will be those in hot and humid climates which would have shorter lifespans -- generally the southern part of the country -- along with the oldest airbags in service in any region.

The Takata case constitutes the largest ever safety recall in US history, the NHTSA said. Last year the agency slapped Takata with a record $200 million fine for providing inadequate and inaccurate information about the problem airbags to regulators.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/honda-say...--finance.html
crxb (05-14-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 03:15 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by lbotez
Looks like on Monday, May 16th we will find out more info on the passenger-side airbag inflators:

Honda Statement Re: NHTSA Recall Expansion Announcement ? 5/4/2016 | Honda Airbag Info
Good news I guess, but at this point I have zero faith in Honda or Takata telling the truth, based on the previous decade of covering this up.
I see no reason why ALL the airbag inflators in our cars are not Takata.
That would be like them putting Michelin tires in the front and goodyear on the back. It just doesnt work that way.
crxb (05-14-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Hey. Long time lurker and thought I'd say hello. I have a 2013 TL SH-AWD Tech that is currently parked in the barn. I am lucky and have a great dealer that I bought a 2013 MDX Tech w/ RES from too so they really went the extra mile. They set me up with a Cadillac XTS through Enterprise until the parts arrive.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It now seems like it might be 2018 in till I get my 2013 acura tl air bag replaced. I think the d.o.t. should stop sale of all new Honda vehicles in til all airbags are replaced. Why build new cars if you can't fix the old ones. Honda has known about this problem since 2004. They even asked Takada to change the design without notifying the D.O.T. This amounts to a coverup. Oh yes, I forgot, Honda owns part of Takada. If they stop building cars they can divert the airbags from them to replace the cars they have already built.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:54 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Got a call from the dealership this morning saying the part is here for my 2012 TL. Scheduled an appointment for next week to get it replaced. I am in Seattle area so I guess parts are coming in!!! I was expecting mid summer since PNW weather is pretty mild! I guess I was wrong... now it's really hard to let go the Nissan Maxima rental... Good luck to you all!
Old 05-13-2016, 10:12 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Spoke with another local individual, the same dealer I am going through told her not to worry about it and keep driving the car....while they gave me a rental. This is getting very fishy sounding the longer it goes on
Old 05-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by johnhyre
It now seems like it might be 2018 in till I get my 2013 acura tl air bag replaced. I think the d.o.t. should stop sale of all new Honda vehicles in til all airbags are replaced. Why build new cars if you can't fix the old ones. Honda has known about this problem since 2004. They even asked Takada to change the design without notifying the D.O.T. This amounts to a coverup. Oh yes, I forgot, Honda owns part of Takada. If they stop building cars they can divert the airbags from them to replace the cars they have already built.
go get a replacement car (rental or loaner) from your Acura dealer. It will get fixed fast enough.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:05 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was offered a rental for my 14 TL up here in the North. I was told by Honda, the quality of rental would go by "how many people sit in the car" vs. "fitments and finishes of your Acura". I might pick up the rental and hopefully push the fix sooner....
Old 05-14-2016, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, I scheduled an appointment for next Saturday to get my rental. I had to ask the service advisor about the free rental, and she was just like, "well........ it's up to the customer's discretion. We can get you a rental if you want...."

Since it sounds very likely that I'll be driving the rental for awhile, how is that going to work with insurance? I've never rented a car before, but I think you usually pay extra for rental insurance, right? The last thing I need is to get in an accident in the rental then be expected to pay out of pocket for it.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:40 PM
Instructor

Insurance has been discussed here before, read the previous posts. For me, my dealership paid for the damage waiver. You can ask your dealership if they offer it. The bill for my rental came up to be $3056 for 60 days. I guess once I have my car repaired, it will be 70 days total!
Old 05-14-2016, 06:51 PM
Instructor

I've had the XTS for about 4,000 miles now. It is a nice car, more modem technology, but every time I take the TL for a spin around the block, I realize just how nice a car it is. It really does strike a great balance between sport and cushy luxury.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:52 PM
Instructor

As for the rental, Enterprise will re-write the contract every 30 days for insurance purposes.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jefflikesbagels
Well, I scheduled an appointment for next Saturday to get my rental. I had to ask the service advisor about the free rental, and she was just like, "well........ it's up to the customer's discretion. We can get you a rental if you want...."

Since it sounds very likely that I'll be driving the rental for awhile, how is that going to work with insurance? I've never rented a car before, but I think you usually pay extra for rental insurance, right? The last thing I need is to get in an accident in the rental then be expected to pay out of pocket for it.
First, they really don't want you to get a rental... so they won't encourage you to get it. But don't listen to them.

As far as the insurance goes; call up your personal car rental insurance and find out if you've covered to drive other cars. Tell them the story. Most people have insurance that covers them to drive any car, but you have to find that out for yourself. Also, you will probably have to go back every 30 days to get a new contract.

If you unlucky like the guy who's rental car got hit by hail, you will have to have your own insurance pay for it (which most likely will involve some kind of deductible). You can take the Enterprise insurance(s); but they are ridiculously expensive.

A few people got their dealer to take on some of the insurance, but I was told, by my dealer, at the beginning that the insurance was on me. Fortunately, my Liberty Mutual insurance covered me to drive other cars.

I had my rental for 35 days, and then the inflator part just showed up at my Acura dealer. Trust me, they probably aren't going to have you drive around in a rental for long, unless they can't get the part you need for your car. People who aren't getting a rental (or a loaner) aren't costing the company anything, so most likely they will be waiting for a long time to get their replacement inflator.

If, on the other hand, you don't get the rental, you probably won't get the part fast either. I was told by my dealer that they didn't want to pay the $1060 per month (plus tax) that it was costing them...

Meanwhile, I am driving my 2013 TL now with a good inflator and no worries (at least for the moment).

I turned my rental car in and cost me nada... But check with your insurance company first. YMMV....

Last edited by lbotez; 05-14-2016 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:26 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by lbotez
First, they really don't want you to get a rental... so they won't encourage you to get it. But don't listen to them.
Not true in all cases. When I called the service department of my local dealer to put my name on the waiting list for the recall (I have a 2013 TL), the first thing the service department manager said to me was "Hold on let me get the information to put you in touch with Enterprise to get a rental." I told him that I was comfortable driving my TL and just wanted to be on the waiting list for the repair. He tried to change my mind, and finally told me to just give the dealer a call if I change my mind.

In all honesty, as I've posted before I'm comfortable driving my TL and the only two reasons I would sign up for the rental would be to save a few miles on my TL and to maybe get moved up on the repair list. Although my hope that the repair list is first come, first serve regardless of whether you asked for a rental unit or not. It will be interesting now that some people are getting their airbags repaired how long it will take for my car.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dordale
Not true in all cases. When I called the service department of my local dealer to put my name on the waiting list for the recall (I have a 2013 TL), the first thing the service department manager said to me was "Hold on let me get the information to put you in touch with Enterprise to get a rental." I told him that I was comfortable driving my TL and just wanted to be on the waiting list for the repair. He tried to change my mind, and finally told me to just give the dealer a call if I change my mind.

In all honesty, as I've posted before I'm comfortable driving my TL and the only two reasons I would sign up for the rental would be to save a few miles on my TL and to maybe get moved up on the repair list. Although my hope that the repair list is first come, first serve regardless of whether you asked for a rental unit or not. It will be interesting now that some people are getting their airbags repaired how long it will take for my car.
I called around the middle of February and sounded concerned about driving my Acura and was told not to worry, but that parts would be coming in during the summer. No rental was mentioned. Just keep on driving, he said. Oh, and when I asked about a waiting list, he said there wasn't one. Just check back in a few months.

Then I called a month later after I saw all these people getting rentals. I asked for a rental, and got one.

Dealers are different. However, I doubt they really want to start paying $1K per month for a rental car for every TL they sold.

However, I got my driver side inflator replaced the other day. And you haven't, probably. I wasn't thrilled driving my 2013 Acura before it got fixed. Now I know more about it. However, I would really like the passenger air bag inflator replaced as soon as possible. I don't like the potential bomb in my car, no matter what they say.

I'd really like my other car, the 2002 TL passenger side inflator replaced first. I won't put anyone in that seat until it's fixed. (assuming it has one of those Takata bags--which more than likely it does).

I suppose because I have two Acura TL's, I'm more agitated about this air bag inflator stuff then most of you. I have had two inflators replaced on the 2002 TL (one in 2010, and another in 2015)-- both being driver side; and now I thought it was almost over but now waiting to hear about the passenger side of the two cars. Am expecting more angst to come.

Last edited by lbotez; 05-15-2016 at 11:59 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:06 PM
Instructor

The other thing to keep in mind is that they aren't really releasing any info about the 100+ injuries that have also occurred. Only the deaths. Many people have had their eye gouged out by shrapnel. I've seen several videos -- different people. And that last death where the woman became a paraplegic (then just recently died). I dunno; maybe you wouldn't die but you might be injured in a terrible way. I'd like a list of those injuries and models/years of those cars.

They are just not telling us everything.

Injury: http://money.cnn.com/2014/11/20/auto...irbag-victims/

The driver in that case, Kristy Williams, barely survived the 2010 accident. Shrapnel tore into her carotid artery. She was able to insert two fingers into the wound to stop the bleeding, and a nearby pedestrian put pressure on the neck wound until help arrived. But she still had several strokes and now suffers from traumatic brain injury, according to her suit.
Executives from Honda, Takata and Fiat Chrysler testified. Also appearing was Air Force Lt. Stephanie Erdman, whose eye was injured by airbag shrapnel.
She had a minor car accident in Destin, Florida, two days before the accident that killed Xu.
"My passenger only had mild scrapes and bruises," she told lawmakers. "I should not have been injured in the shocking and terrifying way that I was."
A jagged piece of metal shot through Erdman's airbag and imbedded itself in her right eye, while also fracturing her right nasal bone. At the hearing Thursday she displayed a graphic photograph of herself with a chunk of metal protruding from her right eye.
"I was instantly blinded on my right side," she said. "I felt blood gushing down my neck. I was terrified. My vision will never be the same. I will never be the same."

Last edited by lbotez; 05-15-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:39 PM
Cruisin'

Still not too worried...As far as I know (and everything I've read) NONE of the airbag incidents either injuries or deaths from faulty airbags have happened in late model Acuras. So, I realize I'm taking a small chance--but I'm willing to do that. I understand perfectly why someone would want to get a rental--and I'm glad that Acura is making them available to people. But, I'm comfortable with my decision not to get a rental--and I drive my car every day on my commute to work and back.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dordale
Still not too worried...As far as I know (and everything I've read) NONE of the airbag incidents either injuries or deaths from faulty airbags have happened in late model Acuras.
The other thing to keep in mind is that they aren't really releasing any info about the 100+ injuries that have also occurred.
That's the thing Dordale. As far as you KNOW. But you only know what Honda chooses to release to the public, and they have tried to cover all of this up for a decade. So "only" 13 or so people died in the cars, but maybe "only" a few hundred drivers lost their vision or maybe a passenger got hit with shrapnel, or a kid in the backseat. You may be comfy with your choice but is everyone who gets in your car with you ? Your call man, but I'm not going to take that chance.

I would bet there's some later model cars affected as well.
They are not giving us full disclosure nor will they as it has and will cost them billions to do so.
I know Honda didn't intend to put in faulty airbags initially, but they continued to do so for the better part of a decade long after this was a known problem. (first incident was 2004)
Old 05-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Racer

inflator

I'm at the service department now to get my inflator installed ....hopefully everything goes smoothly with the process. A member mention that they did a horrible job with the installation where they damage the the steering wheel with scuff marks as well as leaving oIL finger prints on the seat.. I took before pictures of the car just in case anything occurs wish me luck.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:46 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was bringing my car in this morning for the recall. When I started it all the warning lights came on. Vsa, emissions, shawd, hill start assist. Is it the battery? Car was stored for 2 months. I started it every 2 weeks
Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
anyone in GA got the part replaced , i hear hot and humid places will get parts replaced first.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cwh82
I was bringing my car in this morning for the recall. When I started it all the warning lights came on. Vsa, emissions, shawd, hill start assist. Is it the battery? Car was stored for 2 months. I started it every 2 weeks

It could be the battery Ive seen this same error in other threads because of battery failure plus its been sitting for some time now. Ask them if they can give you a new battery since the car has been since the car has been sitting for 2 months. The worst they could say is no.. Ask the SM though not the regular SA.

Originally Posted by boss2k
anyone in GA got the part replaced , i hear hot and humid places will get parts replaced first.

That is what I also read from this thread that they would start south and work their way up.
I also that owners who have rentals and loaners would also be priority. I had a loaner maybe that's why besides i had the loaner since February. Overall the experience was smooth no problem or damage when they return the car and i checked it out. Before i brought it in i had ask the SM for a complimentary oil change and they stayed true and gave me the oil change. multi point inspection i had them do a battery test and everything checked out good. I asked about the passenger side and they said they havent heard anything yet.

Good luck
Old 05-16-2016, 05:15 PM
Advanced

still in the loaner, along with my neighbor too. and i've got an older 2009 TL, shes got a new ILX.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Left work early today to get my inflator installed. I have a 2012 and live in the Baltimore, Maryland area. Priority is definitely given to those people with rentals and loaners, so if you are still waiting I would suggest getting a rental to help speed along the process. I was in the rental for a month and a half. Picking up my TL tomorrow morning once I drop off the rental.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:27 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
That's the thing Dordale. As far as you KNOW. But you only know what Honda chooses to release to the public, and they have tried to cover all of this up for a decade. So "only" 13 or so people died in the cars, but maybe "only" a few hundred drivers lost their vision or maybe a passenger got hit with shrapnel, or a kid in the backseat. You may be comfy with your choice but is everyone who gets in your car with you ? Your call man, but I'm not going to take that chance.

I would bet there's some later model cars affected as well.
They are not giving us full disclosure nor will they as it has and will cost them billions to do so.
I know Honda didn't intend to put in faulty airbags initially, but they continued to do so for the better part of a decade long after this was a known problem. (first incident was 2004)
I also feel that there is a lot that Honda / Acura and other manufacturers aren't disclosing to the public about injuries. I could be wrong but IMO I think only the deaths are being reported. I wouldn't be surprised if there are hundreds of injuries due directly to the inflators breaking apart.

And since my middle son uses the TL 98% of the time (it's basically his now) I am not taking any chances. It will stay parked at home until it's fixed. And to be honest, even after it's fixed, I still don't trust them 100% that there are no other airbag issues.

Sadly after 13 years of owning Acura and Honda products it's hard for me to trust them at this point.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Got the call today that the parts are in to fix my airbag. Will have it repaired in a couple of days. Had the rental car exactly 4 weeks today. Saved about 1800 miles on my TL.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:34 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ITSJESTER
Left work early today to get my inflator installed. I have a 2012 and live in the Baltimore, Maryland area. Priority is definitely given to those people with rentals and loaners, so if you are still waiting I would suggest getting a rental to help speed along the process. I was in the rental for a month and a half. Picking up my TL tomorrow morning once I drop off the rental.
Update: No scratches or anything near the steering wheel. I guess I got lucky after seeing some of the other comments from members about how they were seeing damage after the install.

I asked the dealer about the rest of the airbags in the car and they said that they still haven't heard anything. He did say that supposedly the drivers airbag was the only one made by Takata. Seems fishy to me. Another member posted a good example using tires, why would Acura use different airbag manufacturers for the same car? Possible I guess, but fishy nonetheless. I wont be allowing my girlfriend to drive with me until it is confirmed.

Getting to be on a first name basis with this dealer, heading back in on Saturday so they can look at my chirp/ATF filter/tensioner noise.

Good luck to everyone and I hope your airbags come in sooner than later.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:08 PM
6th Gear

Got my call today - out of town this week so I'll have to wait until next week to get it fixed. Exactly 4 weeks today and close to 2,000 miles on the rental. Really going to miss this Hemi V8 truck.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:16 PM
Cruisin'

Update: I bought the TL I've been waiting on since late February/early March yesterday. I'm pretty stoked I somehow got an airbag! Good luck to those who are still waiting.

In the mean time here's "Thalia"
Old 05-17-2016, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ITSJESTER
Update: No scratches or anything near the steering wheel. I guess I got lucky after seeing some of the other comments from members about how they were seeing damage after the install.

I asked the dealer about the rest of the airbags in the car and they said that they still haven't heard anything. He did say that supposedly the drivers airbag was the only one made by Takata. Seems fishy to me. Another member posted a good example using tires, why would Acura use different airbag manufacturers for the same car? Possible I guess, but fishy nonetheless. I wont be allowing my girlfriend to drive with me until it is confirmed.

Getting to be on a first name basis with this dealer, heading back in on Saturday so they can look at my chirp/ATF filter/tensioner noise.

Good luck to everyone and I hope your airbags come in sooner than later.
The only reason I can see Acura/Honda doing that is suppliers prices, in my industry I split my material orders up if pricing isn't great with any of my vendors.
Old 05-17-2016, 08:20 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I am pretty sick of driving my rental, a beat to hell Ford Focus that torque steers all over the place (good on gas is its only redeeming quality.) Rallye Acura of Roslyn New York told me late June.Can't wait.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts
yep got mine done last week.
Old 05-17-2016, 09:57 PM
Racer

that's a nice one keep it clean. My dealer usually update my car fax every time they do service but they haven't done so yet since they changed the inflator and did the oil change i guess it will take time just in case i plan on trading or selling. I do have the paper work showing they replace the inflator which was $248 for parts and labor charged to Acura . In the mean time i had a 15 TLX they also put on the paperwork that is was a $45 dollar value. Good luck who are still waiting on inflators.
Old 05-18-2016, 05:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016..._20160517_0908

Hawaii lawsuit alleges Takata cover-up
May 16, 2016 @ 12:14 pm
John Irwin

A technician with a recalled Takata airbag inflator after it was removed from a Honda Pilot in Florida. Photo credit: REUTERS FILE PHOTO
The State of Hawaii has sued Takata Corp. over its defective airbag inflators in state court, accusing the beleaguered Japanese supplier of a cover-up.

Hawaii, the first state to sue Takata over the defective inflators linked to 13 deaths and more than 100 injuries worldwide, filed the lawsuit in Hawaii’s 1st Circuit Court on Friday. The suit also named Honda Motor Co., alleging the automaker knew the airbags it was buying from Takata were unsafe and installed them anyway.

Hawaii is seeking $10,000 for each affected vehicle in the state from each company named in the suit. About 70,000 vehicles with Takata airbags were sold in the state, according to the complaint, meaning the case theoretically could lead to a $700 million fine for both Takata and Honda.

“According to the facts alleged in the complaint, Takata and Honda put their own profits and reputations ahead of honesty and their customers’ safety,” said Stephen Levins, executive director of the Hawaii Office of Consumer Protection, in a statement. “We intend to hold them accountable for their conduct.”

The lawsuit is the latest blow for Takata, which said last week that it is considering restructuring in the face of mounting recall costs. Takata is under investigation by the U.S. Department of Justice and faces a host of claims in court, while the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration this month said up to 40 million additional Takata inflators need replacing on top of the 28.8 million already recalled.

After reviewing three investigations into the root cause of the defect, NHTSA confirmed this month that several years of exposure to moist air and fluctuations between high and lower temperatures degrade the ammonium nitrate propellant. When degraded, the propellant can explode with too much force when an airbag deploys, rupturing its container and spraying vehicle occupants with metal shards.

Hawaii is one of several high-humidity states where recall efforts were originally focused before expanding into the largest recall campaign in the history of the auto industry. The state’s tropical climate puts its residents at a “significantly greater risk of overly aggressive combustion, rupture, and injury and/or death caused by Takata’s unsafe airbags,” Hawaii alleges in the suit.

In addition to the civil penalties it is seeking from Takata and Honda, Hawaii is looking for restitution for affected car owners in the state and for the companies to launch a “robust public education effort” on the dangers of the inflators, according to the lawsuit. About one-third of the vehicles in Hawaii with defective airbags have been fixed, the state said in a news release, citing NHTSA data.

The state said it might add other corporations or individuals to the lawsuit based on future evidence.

A Takata spokesman declined to comment. A Honda spokesman said the company could not yet comment on the suit because the company has not yet been served with the complaint.

A request for comment from the State of Hawaii was not immediately returned.

The Associated Press and The New York Times reported about the lawsuit on Friday.

Ryan Beene contributed to this report.

You can reach John Irwin at jirwin@crain.com
The following 2 users liked this post by crxb:
JT4 (05-19-2016), SilverJ (05-18-2016)
Old 05-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by crxb
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016..._20160517_0908

Hawaii lawsuit alleges Takata cover-up
May 16, 2016 @ 12:14 pm
John Irwin
This is not the only open lawsuit. There are many and I would fully anticipate every state to sue Takata and Honda.
I get that people want to drive their TL's and all, and why not, its an awesome car. But the fact that I won't feel comfortable having anyone in my car but me once I get the driver side inflator fixed takes a lot of the shine off of this car for me.
I am not sure how anyone buys this car with the current recall going on being its very likely all the airbag inflators are takata.
I guess its going to take someones wife, girlfriend or kid to get a metal spike in the face for it to become real. It wont be mine.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Instructor

So you are saying we shouldn't be driving any cars that is made in 2001-2015 time period? The expended recall is going to affect pretty much all the auto makers except Korean... (since they don't get alone well with Japanese and won't use any parts from a Japanese company).
Just look at the models from BMW, Merc, VW they are recalling currently. They just added Tesla, Jag, Land Rover on the list....
Time to trade in my TL for my dream 91 NSX I guess!!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by james21_h
So you are saying we shouldn't be driving any cars that is made in 2001-2015 time period? The expended recall is going to affect pretty much all the auto makers except Korean... (since they don't get alone well with Japanese and won't use any parts from a Japanese company).
Just look at the models from BMW, Merc, VW they are recalling currently. They just added Tesla, Jag, Land Rover on the list....
Time to trade in my TL for my dream 91 NSX I guess!!
Its not every car. Its about 10% of them, but its a LOT of Hondas.
Your call man. Plenty of other cars/choices that are not affected at all. There's 100's of injuries related to this issue and probably 100's more that aren't yet reported, if you feel comfy about throwing someone you know in your passenger side that has a airbag that shoots out metal when deployed, have at it.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:25 PM
Instructor

Well, I am in Seattle area so it doesn't get that hot/humid at all. Unless this global warming thing keep getting worse and Seattle becomes new California . I guess I am ok driving my TL. I would wait until they release the updated list to see what maker is not affected! They were saying 25% cars on the road is affected... that's counting all the old cars that are still on the roads. If 50% of the cars on the road are pre 2000, then 1 out of every 2 newer cars you see on the road is affected!!! WHAT A MESS...
Good thing when we drove our rental in Hawaii for 2 months (2014 Mustang also on recall), we didn't hit anything. That is def a much higher risk... death trap!!

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall