TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 09:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I called my Acura dealer on 04/08/16 to request a rental. The service advisor told me he'd pass along my name to the individual handling the recall and to expect a call soon. On 04/12/16, I still hadn't heard back from them so I called them again. Spoke with a rep who informed me that I would have to bring the car in since Acura requires a visual inspection. The soonest they could book the appointment was for 04/18/16. So next Monday, I have to drive 60 miles one way so they can see my car, (for what reason I'm still not sure), and then I have to drive back to my hometown and will pick up my rental on 04/19/16 from the local Enterprise agency. Apparently, they have no room to keep anymore cars on their lot. I had no option but to keep it at my home, which is what I wanted anyway. Long story short, it's taking 11 days from the day I called to get into a rental.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ITSJESTER
Just got off the phone with the dealer and he told me that Enterpise can get me into something bigger on Wednesday. So I have today and tomorrow with the Fiesta. He was not sure what they would get me into, but sounded pissed they offered me a bug or a spark initially.
Switched out the Fiesta for a 2015 Volkswagen Jetta this AM. It isnt top of the line by any means, but does fall in line with what Acura said they would be supplying me with from the start. It has leather, feels incredibly spacious, and doesn't sound like its going to rattle apart if I take it above 80 mph.

Like other members have said, if the dealer is giving you any resistance at all, switch dealers until you find one that will make you happy. Same goes for insurance. Geico has been great for me ever since I signed up. They cover me fully in the rental for however long I need it, I just need to renew the contract with enterprise every 30 days.

With the schedule for parts delivery, it seems that hopefully I will only need to renew it once.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
I called my Acura dealer on 04/08/16 to request a rental. The service advisor told me he'd pass along my name to the individual handling the recall and to expect a call soon. On 04/12/16, I still hadn't heard back from them so I called them again. Spoke with a rep who informed me that I would have to bring the car in since Acura requires a visual inspection. The soonest they could book the appointment was for 04/18/16. So next Monday, I have to drive 60 miles one way so they can see my car, (for what reason I'm still not sure), and then I have to drive back to my hometown and will pick up my rental on 04/19/16 from the local Enterprise agency. Apparently, they have no room to keep anymore cars on their lot. I had no option but to keep it at my home, which is what I wanted anyway. Long story short, it's taking 11 days from the day I called to get into a rental.

I just picked up my rental this morning. Not too bad- Fusion with 4k miles on it. My dealer did NOT need to inspect
My vehicle. He just asked for photo of milage which i emailed to Him.
PS- Dealer also said that TL's are the last ones in Acura family to receive the fix; not sure how true that is. He said RDX and Ilx are first.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (04-13-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TLbullet
I just picked up my rental this morning. Not too bad- Fusion with 4k miles on it. My dealer did NOT need to inspect
My vehicle. He just asked for photo of milage which i emailed to Him.
PS- Dealer also said that TL's are the last ones in Acura family to receive the fix; not sure how true that is. He said RDX and Ilx are first.
Good thing you got your rental. 85M recalls to come, looks like.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...IL05/160419943

NHTSA said on Wednesday that potentially defective Takata airbags still on the road include 43.4 million passenger side inflators, 26.9 million side airbag inflators and 14.5 million driver side inflators.
JT4 (04-18-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by lbotez
Well, he's right. No ACURA has been involved in fatalities as far a we know. Not sure about the injuries. All the deaths, except one, have been with Honda cars.

Wanna be the first? It's low odds, but I'd rather not take a chance.
Another death linked to exploding Takata air bag - CBS News

this article mentions a 2002 Acura TL

Other deaths linked to Takata's air bags:

- May 27, 2009: Ashley Parham, 18, of Midwest City, Oklahoma, 2001 Honda Accord
- Dec. 24, 2009: Gurjit Rathore, 33, of Richmond, Virginia, 2001 Honda Accord
- Sept. 13, 2013: Hai Ming Xu, of Alhambra, California, 2002 Acura TL
- July 27, 2014: Law Suk Leh of Sibu, Malaysia, 2003 Honda City
- Sept. 7, 2014: Jewel Brangman, 26, of California, 2001 Honda Civic
- Sept. 29, 2014: Hien Thi Tran, 51, of Orlando, Florida, 2001 Honda Accord
- Jan. 18, 2015: Carlos Solis, 35, of Spring, Texas, 2002 Honda Accord
- April 15, 2015: Kylan Langlinais, 23, of Lafayette, Louisiana, 2005 Honda Accord
- July 22, 2015: Unidentified 13-year-old boy, Mercer County, Pennsylvania, 2001 Honda Accord
- Dec. 22, 2015: Joel Knight, 52, of Kershaw, South Carolina, 2006 Ford Ranger
Old 04-14-2016, 05:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by crxb
Other deaths linked to Takata's air bags:

- May 27, 2009: Ashley Parham, 18, of Midwest City, Oklahoma, 2001 Honda Accord
- Dec. 24, 2009: Gurjit Rathore, 33, of Richmond, Virginia, 2001 Honda Accord
- Sept. 13, 2013: Hai Ming Xu, of Alhambra, California, 2002 Acura TL
- July 27, 2014: Law Suk Leh of Sibu, Malaysia, 2003 Honda City
- Sept. 7, 2014: Jewel Brangman, 26, of California, 2001 Honda Civic
- Sept. 29, 2014: Hien Thi Tran, 51, of Orlando, Florida, 2001 Honda Accord
- Jan. 18, 2015: Carlos Solis, 35, of Spring, Texas, 2002 Honda Accord
- April 15, 2015: Kylan Langlinais, 23, of Lafayette, Louisiana, 2005 Honda Accord
- July 22, 2015: Unidentified 13-year-old boy, Mercer County, Pennsylvania, 2001 Honda Accord
- Dec. 22, 2015: Joel Knight, 52, of Kershaw, South Carolina, 2006 Ford Ranger
two more deaths to add:

- March 31, 2016: Huma Hanif, 17, of Richmond, Texas, 2002 Honda Civic
- April 11, 2016: Patricia Mincey, 77, Jacksonville, Florida, 2001 Honda Civic

Wow! There is an Acura TL on the list. 2002. We have that car. Inflator has been replaced, twice though.

Last edited by lbotez; 04-14-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Called the dealership today, they responded well & informed me of another recall on my vehicle that the dealership I bought it from didn't. I'll be dropping by tomorrow for paperwork and was informed by Enterprise that I would be put in a car of equal status so time shall tell.

Inform others, another lady that lives in my complex was just told they'd contact her when the parts came in....she didn't know the full status of recall.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
That list is terrifying, I can't believe that since the first accident/incident back in 2009 they decided to recall the inflators in 2016 after 6 years and 12 fatalities! It seems like Honda/Acura knew about this problem for a long time. If they had recalled this vehicles earlier, the list would be a lot shorter.
musty hustla (04-27-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 07:20 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I guess i'll contribute and tell you all a bit about my situation. I don't currently own a TL but hopefully some day soon i'll get a phone call from Frank Leta Acura up here in St. Louis telling me i can come test-drive and start talking financing for my CPO 2013 Acura TL. Here's a bit of a timeline behind my story:

Early 2016: I start eyeballing the market to see what TL's are going for regular retail online comparing to Infiniti G37, Q50, Lexus IS, Audi A4, bmw and the others. Anyways i find a Black CPO 2013 TL at a dealership near me and figure I had to go at least look at it.

2/27/16: I walk into the dealership and they pair me up with a sales person and we talk about my needs and wants in a car.... the typical sales pitch on how i should think about leasing a TLX instead. I say no i want to own the vehicle. We go out to see the car (they kept it off the main lot because it was under a stop sale I later learned) anyways this is pretty late in the day so I tell the salesman I’ll come back on the following monday with a family member to check it out more in-depth and hopefully be able to test drive or whatever.

2/29/16: I show up to test drive the car and hopefully take it for a 24 hour test drive to see how i really like it. I find out I can't do that but I can drive it around the parking lot due to the stop sale. I give it a once over at the auxiliary lot and then the salesman drives me to the main lot to look at it more and give me the feel of the car without actually being able to drive it. After this spirited driving period i fall in love with the car. We go in to talk about how the stop sale affects me getting the car and I decide to put a deposit down on the car to make sure i will have first dibs on the car after the recall is taken care of. Little did i know this was going to be a possible six month waiting period. So i go home and patiently wait for the “come pick your car up” call.

3/14/16: I get a call from the dealership thinking “Finally, it's time to pick the car up” WRONG!!!!! The salesman still hasn't deposited my check for the deposit to hold the car. So now i ask how long will this take. At this point i'm very frustrated because earlier on i was under the impression that this wouldn't be a long term hold. I threaten to take my deposit back things escalate and i got a 3 year basic maintenance package out of the deal i wasn't really going to back out so i figured i'd put some pressure on and hopefully get some cash knocked off the sale price or something.

4/14/16: here I sit almost 2 months later wondering if i should just write the 500 bucks off as a loss and look else where or take them up on the TLX offer....

Here she is:

Old 04-14-2016, 08:29 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nomocars23 - not adding anything to your conversation other than to say I lived in STL for 15 years and bought 5 Acuras from Leta. Prior to that I bought 2 at Mungenast...never again at Mungenast!

I moved to Richmond, VA two years ago and there is a single dealer here...makes me miss Leta big time. The service and sales here at my local dealer are horrible. I'd gladly buy a new Acura at Leta and drive it back here before I give my local dealer a dime!

Also, my latest car, a CPO 2012 TL Advance was bought at Leta before I moved here. Great transaction. (Actually looks exactly like your pic...CBP with ebony interior). It is now under the airbag recall and I'm wishing it was them taking care of the repair/rental/etc instead of this craptastic dealer I have now.

Last edited by ckiggins; 04-14-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:42 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
nomocars23- I also live in St. Louis and have bought multiple cars from Mungenast and Frank Leta. Both are great dealerships to work with. I've bought my last few Acuras from Mungenast since I know my salesman there and they've been awesome. Those special edition wheels make the FWD look so much better. That is such a good looking TL..don't pass it up! The wait will be well worth it. Dealers have already gotten airbags, so maybe you can tell Leta that you want this TL to be one of the first to get one otherwise you have to walk since you need a car ASAP?

ckiggins- If I may ask, what happened at Mungenast Acura that made you decide to stay away? Just curious as they've always been great to me.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:04 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
ckiggins- If I may ask, what happened at Mungenast Acura that made you decide to stay away? Just curious as they've always been great to me.
I just felt like they were not very upfront with pricing, pulled a lot of the "I have to go ask my manager" typical car sales BS. I feel like Leta is very straighforward.

That aside, the breaking point was that when I was in the market for a new RDX back in '08, I couldn't get anyone there to respond to emails, internet requests or phone calls for pricing, etc. Leta responded right away each time. They're tone deaf to customer service in my opinion.

Mungenast then sent me a letter like 2 years after I bought the RDX at Leta and said "happy birthday to your TSX that you bought from us!" I wrote them back and told them I haven't owned that car in years and if they had responded to my communication they would have known I was buying a car to replace that one two years ago!

The kicker? I got a letter from someone named Karsten something from Mungenast LAST MONTH (mind you, I live in Virginia now) saying "happy 10th birthday to my 2006 TSX" - and would I like to come in and look at new cars? Seriously? I've owned like 4 cars since that one and have told them multiple times (a). I don't even own that car, nor have I had it in my possession for 8 years and (b). I would rather shoot myself in the face than buy a car from you again.

Tone deaf.

Last edited by ckiggins; 04-15-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Good news, my wife's 2010 RDX is having the airbag replaced today. Acura is starting with RDX and ILX first i believe.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTL
Good news, my wife's 2010 RDX is having the airbag replaced today. Acura is starting with RDX and ILX first i believe.
A couple of people in the ILX board said they were getting theirs fixed. Good to hear.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Honda motors has known about this faulty airbag issue FOR YEARS. We used to own a CRV and have been getting recall letters on it for like 4 years.
Maybe 10 fatalities and Acura finally starts recalling, who knows. But this has been a problem for a LONG time. Sad.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
Honda motors has known about this faulty airbag issue FOR YEARS. We used to own a CRV and have been getting recall letters on it for like 4 years.
Maybe 10 fatalities and Acura finally starts recalling, who knows. But this has been a problem for a LONG time. Sad.
this article is from 2014:

Report: Honda and Takata Knew of Deaths from Recalled Airbags for Years ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

this 2nd article is kept updated:

Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

3rd article from 2014:

Report: Takata Discovered Airbag Problems in 2004, Destroyed Data

Airbag Maker Knew of Shrapnel Issue in 2004, Destroyed Data ? News ? Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Takata Corporation, the Japanese airbag manufacturer at the center of a 17-million-vehicle worldwide recall for airbags that may shoot deadly metal debris in an accident, has always maintained that it first discovered the problem in 2008. But a New York Times report published late Thursday says the company knew about the defective airbags all the way back in 2004—and allegedly ordered employees to destroy test data confirming the issue.

The Times spoke with two former Takata employees on the condition of anonymity. The sources state that Takata was alerted to an airbag that fired metal debris at a driver in an accident in Alabama in 2004. In response, the informants claim, Takata conducted secret tests on 50 airbags obtained from junkyards, discovering cracked steel inflators in two of the airbags, a condition that can lead to the release of metal shrapnel when the airbags deploy in an accident. Engineers were so startled by the results that they began planning fixes to prepare for a recall. But the sources report that Takata executives ordered lab technicians to delete the testing data, erase video footage, and dispose of the airbag components used in the testing.

“All the testing was hush-hush,” one of the former employees told the Times. “Then one day, it was ‘pack it all up, shut the whole thing down.’ It was not standard procedure.” It wasn’t until four years later that Takata officially told regulators it had begun testing for problems with its airbags. The tests led to the first recall for the problem in November 2008.

Automotive News reports that lawmakers on Capitol Hill responded to the Times report by calling for a criminal investigation. In a joint statement, Senators Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., and Edward Markey, D-Mass., say Takata “must be held accountable for the horrific deaths and injuries that its wrongdoing caused.” Senator Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., and U.S. Representative Fred Upton, R-Mich., also called for action by the Justice Department and safety regulators.

The problem has to do with the inflator module, a steel canister containing a chemical propellant that rapidly inflates the airbag in a collision. Structural weaknesses in the inflators can cause the steel casing to rupture when the airbag deploys, sending metallic pieces exploding toward a driver or passengers. The problem is blamed for at least four deaths and 139 injuries, 37 of which involve airbags that shot metal or chemicals at passengers, the Times reports.

Massive Takata Airbag Recall: Everything You Need to Know
Takata Recall Update: Airbags Being Disabled and Labeled “Do Not Sit Here”
Honda and Takata Allegedly Knew About Exploding Airbags Years Before Recall
A Takata spokesperson declined to comment to the Times on the issue.

The most recent death involving a Takata airbag occurred in Los Angeles last year, when the driver of a 2002 Acura TL was injured so badly by metallic shrapnel that investigators originally thought the death was a homicide.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Our RDX was fixed yesterday

Hi,

As I mentioned in the RDX forum, our 2013 RDX had its airbag inflator replaced yesterday. The battery was low, so they replaced that as well, which may have partly been due to it sitting for 2 months.

Supposedly the RDX and ILX are the first to be fixed, with the TL coming later (they said within the next month).

Gregg
JT4 (04-18-2016)
Old 04-16-2016, 07:03 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ressling
Wow... giving priority to cars that sit on a lot unsold versus those that are on the streets... yeah that makes sense...
I saw this coming from a mile away...
Old 04-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by RKEnnis
I saw this coming from a mile away...
Yes, our dealer said that they repaired some of their own vehicles first.

However, as long as they had enough left over to fix our car, I was glad to have them "practice" on a few of their own before working on ours.

Gregg
Old 04-16-2016, 07:10 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=nomocars23;15727470]

:: SNIP! ::

4/14/16: here I sit almost 2 months later wondering if i should just write the 500 bucks off as a loss and look else where or take them up on the TLX offer....

Why would you lose $500 if they can't sell you the car you made a deal on when you need it? This seems to me to be a case where they can't keep your deposit!
Old 04-16-2016, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

Why would you lose $500 if they can't sell you the car you made a deal on when you need it? This seems to me to be a case where they can't keep your deposit!
I mean I could walk away at this point, but with vehicles being repaired I haven't lost any money yet. This has just been a pain because I don't have my future car yet.

I guess I wont be "writing the 500 bucks off" but you get the point.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:08 PM
1st Gear

TL Takata Recall - Dealership Incentives?

I apologize if this is not the correct place to insert this, I am searching for information on airbag recall for my 2012 TL. I am looking to trade in my car for a 2015 TLX and want to know what others have experienced with their Acura dealer. A buddy of mine traded in his Takata recalled BMW last week and was told that Takata is giving $2,000 per car for trade-ins. Can anyone comment on what Acura is doing on trade-ins?

I have been told by my Houston Acura dealership that they are paying above market on trades and knocking several thousand dollars off MSRP on new vehicles. Another dealer told me that the later model TLs are at the end of the line for replacement. At $35 per day for a rental, they will pay $6,000 for my rental. They ought to be pretty incentivized to offer a good deal to trade in.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:51 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins
I apologize if this is not the correct place to insert this, I am searching for information on airbag recall for my 2012 TL. I am looking to trade in my car for a 2015 TLX and want to know what others have experienced with their Acura dealer. A buddy of mine traded in his Takata recalled BMW last week and was told that Takata is giving $2,000 per car for trade-ins. Can anyone comment on what Acura is doing on trade-ins?

I have been told by my Houston Acura dealership that they are paying above market on trades and knocking several thousand dollars off MSRP on new vehicles. Another dealer told me that the later model TLs are at the end of the line for replacement. At $35 per day for a rental, they will pay $6,000 for my rental. They ought to be pretty incentivized to offer a good deal to trade in.
You'd think they would want to make a deal with us to buy a brand new, Takata-free car, wouldn't you? The only problem being they don't make the TL anymore. And the TLX seemed to be pretty problematic when I was checking that car out. Plus it's a lot smaller than the TL.

My guess is they are planning on getting reimbursed for these rental cars somehow. Maybe through insurance, and/or some kind of legal action towards the Takata company.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jeff Higgins

Yeah, this is a great question! I'd also like to know how this is affecting the value of these cars.

On the one hand, they would be buying a car that they would have to let sit until the parts come in, but on the other hand they would be saving money on the rental...
Old 04-17-2016, 02:14 PM
Advanced

You'd think they would want to make a deal with us to buy a brand new, Takata-free car, wouldn't you? The only problem being they don't make the TL anymore. And the TLX seemed to be pretty problematic when I was checking that car out. Plus it's a lot smaller than the TL.

My guess is they are planning on getting reimbursed for these rental cars somehow. Maybe through insurance, and/or some kind of legal action towards the Takata company.
I've been resisting the urge to test drive the TLX. I though it was smaller though from seeing them on the streets. For me, it being smaller would be a plus since I don't need this large of a car anymore.

What were the problems with the TLX you heard about?
Old 04-17-2016, 03:18 PM
Instructor

I've been resisting the urge to test drive the TLX. I though it was smaller though from seeing them on the streets. For me, it being smaller would be a plus since I don't need this large of a car anymore.

Our 2002 TL had started to have transmission problems. It's slipping every so often (but not too bad). The car has only 75K miles on it. We decided to get a new car (we had the 2002 TL for 12 years); so we looked at the 2013 TL and a 2015 TLX. The TL seemed to have way fewer problems when I checked online (and was less money too). We kept our old 2002 TL, to drive around locally. I may get it fixed (but it seemed to be a $5K repair).

The 2015 TLX was a new design. Whenever you buy a new model, it's probably best not to get the first year model. I did some research on both cars and came to the conclusion that the 2013 TL was pretty much a "no problem" model and from what I recall the TLX seems to have some "new Model" issues that I didn't want to have to deal with.

2015 Acura TLX Problems, Defects & Complaints

Also I was paying for Consumer Reports at the time and (as I recall) they seemed to agree with me.

Even though the cars were both Certified Acura cars, and came with an extended warranty, I just thought the TL was the best choice for us. Our 2002 TL has a small back seat, and is more or less the same size as the TLX, but the 2013 TL is quite a bit more roomy.

But the clincher was that our sales person told us to get the TL if I didn't want any problems.

Here's the complaints on the Acura TL over the years: http://www.carcomplaints.com/Acura/TL/

I figure I'd let the TLX get the kinks out of it first before buying one. Nice car though.

I didn't know about this site at the time we purchased the TL. Little did I know I'd be driving a rental car in less than two months later...

Last edited by lbotez; 04-17-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:12 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

The 2015 on here is known to have some transmission issues with the 9 speed V6 including a jerk between 2nd and 3rd gear. I have a 2015 TLX and can attest to this issue. But I don't let it ruin the vehicle for me, overall it's an awesome car. So much technology in it, and it's just a solid vehicle. You should definitely test drive one sometime.

Apparently the 2016 is totally different with the 9spd transmission and the rough shift is nonexistent. I wouldn't really recommend the car if you frequently put taller passengers in the back seat though, as rear legroom is very poor.
Old 04-17-2016, 10:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by atl7
The 2015 on here is known to have some transmission issues with the 9 speed V6 including a jerk between 2nd and 3rd gear. I have a 2015 TLX and can attest to this issue. But I don't let it ruin the vehicle for me, overall it's an awesome car. So much technology in it, and it's just a solid vehicle. You should definitely test drive one sometime.

Apparently the 2016 is totally different with the 9spd transmission and the rough shift is nonexistent. I wouldn't really recommend the car if you frequently put taller passengers in the back seat though, as rear legroom is very poor.
We never purchase brand new cars, since there is such a mark up on them; but in a few years, perhaps. Glad to hear Acura fixed the transmission problem on the 2016 TLX. I don't think I could handle another car with a crappy transmission.

Last edited by lbotez; 04-17-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:19 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by vbgregg
Hi,

As I mentioned in the RDX forum, our 2013 RDX had its airbag inflator replaced yesterday. The battery was low, so they replaced that as well, which may have partly been due to it sitting for 2 months.

Supposedly the RDX and ILX are the first to be fixed, with the TL coming later (they said within the next month).

Gregg
Great news... I'm happy to hear that parts are starting to come in and vehicles are being repaired.

If (I know a big IF) the parts for the TL's start arriving next month, that will be two months ahead of my dealers original "best case scenario" for parts to start arriving.. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:00 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
This is what bothers me, because it's not just Honda/Acura that drag their feet but other manufacturers do it too and it's ridiculous.

But with a problem as serious as a defect with airbags that are killing people, I don't understand how these companies not only continue to drag their feet in regards to issuing a recall, but continue to knowingly put defective parts in their vehicles and sell them to the public.

IMO this is even worse than dragging their feet issuing a recall, because by continuing to allow the installation of these parts, they are knowingly installing defective parts in their vehicles that they know have already killed people.

I understand that when a problem is brought to their attention they have to investigate, and there are major costs involved when they issue a recall. But after numerous years and loss of life, all of them will still do whatever possible to sweep the problems under the rug..

These companies need to start putting lives ahead of their bottom line, and sadly I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:01 AM
3rd Gear

See everyone talking about what car they got, I have a recalled leased ILX and after some complaints to Enterprise and the dealer I am now in a Chevy Tahoe with a ton of options.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:37 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ACURA2121
See everyone talking about what car they got, I have a recalled leased ILX and after some complaints to Enterprise and the dealer I am now in a Chevy Tahoe with a ton of options.

What complaints did you make to get the Tahoe? Dropped my TL off and was told I would at least be placed into a full size sedan. I was given a Corolla. Very Disappointed.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by acura_atl
What complaints did you make to get the Tahoe? Dropped my TL off and was told I would at least be placed into a full size sedan. I was given a Corolla. Very Disappointed.
Stress the point that you need navigation for work , something along those lines ..If you are able to get a car with navigation it's going to be a nice one
Old 04-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by PinotGrigio
Stress the point that you need navigation for work , something along those lines ..If you are able to get a car with navigation it's going to be a nice one
I think it's just a matter of luck what you end up with. I have an SUV. However, I knew they were bringing in some cars the night before and I went in early in the morning to get first dibs. Enterprise told me I could change my car later, but I like mine. The only thing I'm not sure about is what the daily limit is; seems to be different at every place, from what people have said. On my contract is says $36.99 a day. I was never told anything about a price limit, the Enterprise guy just told me I had two choices.

Last edited by lbotez; 04-18-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:02 PM
3rd Gear

I think it's just a matter of luck what you end up with. I have an SUV. However, I knew they were bringing in some cars the night before and I went in early in the morning to get first dibs. Enterprise told me I could change my car later, but I like mine. The only thing I'm not sure about is what the daily limit is; seems to be different at every place, from what people have said. On my contract is says $36.99 a day. I was never told anything about a price limit, the Enterprise guy just told me I had two choices.
Ya I was told $35 a day. Enterprise said this was my car.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:29 PM
6th Gear

I've been following this thread pretty closely, expecting the worst. My dealer has been saying the right things - we'll see tomorrow when I pick up my rental.

The dealer has said nothing smaller than standard and as comparable as possible to the "luxuries" of my TL. They also said that I can tell Enterprise what I want and they've been instructed to make it happen, though the limit is $45/day.

Like I said, I have an appointment in the morning to sign paperwork and then they'll shuttle me over to Enterprise. When push comes to shove we'll see how Enterprise really handles this.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
I pick up my rental in the morning. Curious to know what it will be. The lady at the Acura dealer said it would be comparable to my TL. My expectations are low. Hopefully, I'll be surprised.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by a35tl
I pick up my rental in the morning. Curious to know what it will be. The lady at the Acura dealer said it would be comparable to my TL. My expectations are low. Hopefully, I'll be surprised.
Good luck. I picked mine up last friday.....i got a Kia Soul that smells like a hampsters cage. Tomorrow will be fun for that branch manager...
Old 04-18-2016, 07:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Traded my Chrysler 300 for a Dodge Ram with the hemi. Man does this drink gas, hopefully I can take this back after moving some items around the house. Hopefully they have a maxima available. Would I be able to go to another enterprise or the one I got the rental from. The enterprise I've been dealing with are some asses.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
This is what bothers me, because it's not just Honda/Acura that drag their feet but other manufacturers do it too and it's ridiculous.

But with a problem as serious as a defect with airbags that are killing people, I don't understand how these companies not only continue to drag their feet in regards to issuing a recall, but continue to knowingly put defective parts in their vehicles and sell them to the public.

IMO this is even worse than dragging their feet issuing a recall, because by continuing to allow the installation of these parts, they are knowingly installing defective parts in their vehicles that they know have already killed people.

I understand that when a problem is brought to their attention they have to investigate, and there are major costs involved when they issue a recall. But after numerous years and loss of life, all of them will still do whatever possible to sweep the problems under the rug..

These companies need to start putting lives ahead of their bottom line, and sadly I don't see it happening anytime soon.
You have to remember it was the Federal Government that issued the recalls - not the car manufactures. The car makers must have made a cost/benefit analysis and decided to wait for the Feds before taking action. Seems so harsh and unbelievable that a few deaths can be "accepted" in this analysis.

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall