TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 04:49 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Thanks, but in truth, I am pretty well educated already. What you've posted today is a Statement of Claim, containing nothing but unproven allegations. If it goes to trial, perhaps some or all of those allegations will be proven, but until then, it's nothing more than an unfounded claim. Calling them "court documents" to try and give them an air of authority is technically accurate, but disingenuous nonetheless.

I've drafted many myself. I have some idea of what I'm talking about.

And I understand wanting to have a safe vehicle. That makes sense. But in my view, your criticisms of Acura are a bit extreme. They've done a recall. For many, they've offered rentals. What more do you want? Faster recall service? Sorry, but Acura doesn't make airbags, so their hands are somewhat tied. What else can they do for you? A footrub and a two-for-one coupon at Bonanza? Write a letter and see what you can get, I suppose. But again, from my perspective, the response is appropriate.

Perhaps my perspective is a bit lax, and I'd be more concerned in some place like Florida, where the climate is more likely to degrade an inflator. But here in drier, cooler climes, I'm just not that concerned (even though I really don't want metal shards in my face...that's my moneymaker).
I'm not sure what your talking about when you say "unproven allegations". There's a lot of stone cold facts in those documents if you bothered reading them. You may not be concerned about you or your passengers, and that's your prerogative, but I would guess the 100's of people injured and 13 people dead weren't concerned either.

As far as what I am looking for from Acura ? Fixing all of the defective parts in my car instead of waiting for them to blow up would be nice. No one released specific info on the 100's of injuries that have happened as a result of the airbags and what year those cars are and where they are from etc. I would rather not find out the hard way.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:39 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
It's really absurd that even after two years, congress getting involved, and most importantly and sadly numerous deaths, some manufacturers continue to install these defective inflators during the manufacturing process. And then without conscience sell them to a unknowing consumer who could be injured or killed.

Think about it, how many of us looking to purchase a brand new (not used) vehicle today would think for one moment that the vehicle may be recalled due to the manufacturer knowingly installing a defective potentially deadly item in it..

For now on any time I buy a brand new vehicle I guess I'll run the vin through the safecar.gov website to make sure it's safe... How crazy does that sound...

Last edited by JT4; 06-03-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JT4
It's really absurd that even after two years, congress getting involved, and most importantly and sadly numerous deaths, some manufacturers continue to install these defective inflators during the manufacturing process. And then without conscience sell them to a unknowing consumer who could be injured or killed.

Think about it, how many of us looking to purchase a brand new (not used) vehicle today would think for one moment that the vehicle may be recalled due to the manufacturer knowingly installing a defective potentially deadly item in it..

For now on any time I buy a brand new vehicle I guess I'll run the vin through the safecar.gov website to make sure it's safe... How crazy does that sound...
Very crazy. Whats worse is, Honda (and all the other manufacturers) KNOW what airbag inflators are in the passenger and side airbags, and yet wont fix them under warranty RIGHT NOW, while the car is brought in for repair of the driver side inflator. They try to go thru the charade that they dont know which inflator is in the car, which is BS.
Instead they will go thru this whole mess again whenever they are FORCED to do it by the government. Of course this will come at the expense of the people who have passengers in their car as you know there will be accidents and possibly fatalities before they all get fixed.
Sad.
The following users liked this post:
JT4 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-03-2016, 06:58 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Update 6/3/16
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...nxu/embed/auto
The following 2 users liked this post by EE4Life:
crxb (06-03-2016), JT4 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am still waiting on my part, anyone got it fixed in Georgia area ?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
I recently got my driver's side inflator replaced at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA. I came in on a Tuesday afternoon and took a V6 TLX base model as a loaner. Car was done on Friday morning after special ordering the inflator. The TLX was subpar compared to my 4G. Car was constantly hunting through gears, very irritating. Interior materials seemed cheap in comparison. Overall, I would not "trade up" to a TLX at this point in the model lineup.

While there, I also had my rear deck rattle addressed because of the subwoofer. The technician installed some foam tape to reinforce the area surrounding the sub and all is sounding perfect now. Everything was covered under warranty and took only 3 days. Very happy. Helps that I'm a former employee of Pohanka Acura I suppose.

-greg
Old 06-07-2016, 09:33 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by '99-6SIC6
I recently got my driver's side inflator replaced at Pohanka Acura in Chantilly, VA. I came in on a Tuesday afternoon and took a V6 TLX base model as a loaner. Car was done on Friday morning after special ordering the inflator. The TLX was subpar compared to my 4G. Car was constantly hunting through gears, very irritating. Interior materials seemed cheap in comparison. Overall, I would not "trade up" to a TLX at this point in the model lineup.

While there, I also had my rear deck rattle addressed because of the subwoofer. The technician installed some foam tape to reinforce the area surrounding the sub and all is sounding perfect now. Everything was covered under warranty and took only 3 days. Very happy. Helps that I'm a former employee of Pohanka Acura I suppose.

-greg
It sounds like you went in for the first time on a Tuesday and Pohanka ordered/installed it by Friday? Will have to remember to bring it up when my car is due for service in the next week or two.

I've driven all of Acura's 2015+ lineup as loaners (except RLX, which doesn't count ) thanks to my ILX Hybrid having constant (unresolved) issues and Pohanka's generous loaner policy, and I will say that while I didn't like the TLX V6 at first, it really grew on me by about the 3rd or 4th TLX V6 I had (and maybe 14th day I was driving one) it's just having to get used to the feeling that the TLX is slower compared to the TL (I suppose bc of the gears and whatnot?) but it really is an "acquired taste" unlike the TL, which I fell in love with in the driving through the parking lot. Haven't driven a 2016, but the 2015 TLX and 2016 ILX really suffered in aggressive rush hour driving in DC with gear hunting. The issue did not surface in the couple days I have a 2016 MDX with 9sp, so I'm thinking it was mostly software issues with the TLX..
Old 06-07-2016, 02:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 6SpeedTL
My dealer told me basis the latest data received from Acura there hasn't been one case of a faulty airbag in an Acura worldwide as of March 28,2016.

So the odds are extremely low.

Google Hai Ming Xu, or read this story: Takata airbag victims looked like they had been shot or stabbed - Nov. 20, 2014

Take it for what it's worth, the car was a 2002 TL, however that statement is false based on someone not doing any research. I would always suggest people do their own and never listen to just what someone says especially at a dealership. Likely some data is yet to be known because according to that news story the assumption could be that the driver is stabbed or shot when the police initially investigated. It takes an autopsy to determine the exact cause of death and I wonder if the news updates that information once it is known.

With that said I find it odd for anyone to just use this source to learn about this issue. Sure, it's a great way to become informed but do your research. If you don't then either your own ignorance or slothfulness will be to blame for what you spread.

Obviously there is just way to much information to read through but here are a few sources that seem to be reputable.

NHTSA | Recalls Spotlight: Takata Air Bags Recalls

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/28/yo...call.html?_r=0

I took my 09 TL to the dealer yesterday morning to get a rental. Unlike most people I am with a "basic transportation vehicle" (2016 Jeep Patriot), but knowing that I don't have the possibility of getting injured severely in an accident is worth it to me. I'm not out to get the most luxurious rental, I just don't want my life to end over an accident that it shouldn't have been (like a simple rear end collision that killed a 17 year old in an 2002 Accord in Texas). I based my information on the fact that the older the model the more at risk you are. Had I been in something newer, 2011-2012 and up, I may not have even bothered to worry about a rental at all. However, my life is more important that HMC saving money.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:05 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

-greg
You really lucked out to get your inflator replaced in 3 days because most of us have been waiting months.

I have been on a parts list since end of Feb / March and have had a rental now for over two months. The only reason I didn't get a rental from the beginning is because at the time my dealer wasn't allowing customers to keep their TL's home and there was no way I was leaving it at the dealer for several months. As soon as they told me I could get a rental and keep the TL at home I signed up.

Last week my SA told me that he is hoping my parts come in within the next two weeks but no promises.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 AM
Drifting

My car is in the shop getting the part replaced. I asked that they do the passenger side airbag as well which they would if they had the part, which they don't. Dealership is very nice, I'll update when I get my car back. I won't be having anyone else ride in my passenger side until its fixed. My car is going on 5 years old, no telling if/what/when would cause the airbag inflator to malfunction. I doubt heavily that they have an exact science for knowing when the inflator will malfunction.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JT4
You really lucked out to get your inflator replaced in 3 days because most of us have been waiting months.

I have been on a parts list since end of Feb / March and have had a rental now for over two months. The only reason I didn't get a rental from the beginning is because at the time my dealer wasn't allowing customers to keep their TL's home and there was no way I was leaving it at the dealer for several months. As soon as they told me I could get a rental and keep the TL at home I signed up.

Last week my SA told me that he is hoping my parts come in within the next two weeks but no promises.
I'm curious about this as well. I believe the letter I received stated parts were not expected to be available until September 2016. When I view the CarFax online it shows "Remedy Not Yet Available" for the recall. According to Safecar.gov that means the manufacturer is not ready to do any of the recall work, parts are not available. So are they installing "new" airbags or "newer" airbags that will require replacement at a later time?

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owne...consumers-tips
Old 06-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ReyesMX
I'm curious about this as well. I believe the letter I received stated parts were not expected to be available until September 2016. When I view the CarFax online it shows "Remedy Not Yet Available" for the recall. According to Safecar.gov that means the manufacturer is not ready to do any of the recall work, parts are not available. So are they installing "new" airbags or "newer" airbags that will require replacement at a later time?
First, it's only the inflator (a part of the airbag) that's being replaced, not the entire airbag.

Second, you probably won't have to wait that long since Acura is paying for a rental car for you. I only had the rental for a little over a month. They don't want to keep paying. So you probably will get fixed soon.

Also, read this (from another thread on acurazine):

Originally Posted by pjhalifax
Had to go in to the dealer to open a service ticket on Friday so they could order the replacement part(s) for my 08. I guess there was a miscommunication - thought they'd done that already. Anyone left waiting like I was might want to check on that...if I hadn't called a few times (kept getting different answers from different service advisors) I wouldn't have known that nothing was happening.

Anyway, the dealership is in Savannah and the service manager said they had about 400 people on the list and they'd fixed about 40 of those cars so far. Apparently they're getting replacements a little faster now so they hope to pick up the pace a bit this month.

Last edited by lbotez; 06-08-2016 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4

http://www.safercar.gov/Vehicle+Owne...consumers-tips
Originally Posted by lbotez
First, it's only the inflator (a part of the airbag) that's being replaced, not the entire airbag.

Second, you probably won't have to wait that long since Acura is paying for a rental car for you. I only had the rental for a little over a month. They don't want to keep paying. So you probably will get fixed soon.

EVERYONE PLEASE BE ADVISED...The only reason my vehicle was able to be repaired so quickly is because I worked at Pohanka Acura for 8 years prior to coming to Honda. I'm on very good terms with almost everyone there in every department so with that being said, of course I was given the priority for repairs. If I was Joe-Shmoe (no offense to anyone) then of course I would be waiting for an inflator just like everyone else. Keep in mind, every one of these new inflators is being ordered on a VIN specific basis. That means the dealer CANNOT use someone else's inflator to repair your vehicle. That's the reason why people have been and will continue to be waiting. I was simply put on critical status because of my history with Pohanka...

When we began replacing the airbag inflators for our Honda lineup back in 2014, the process was exactly the same. No inflator could be used on a vehicle that it wasn't ordered for specifically. However, once Honda began getting more and more available parts to send us, we were able to begin swapping out inflators to meet client demand. I'm sure once Honda begins getting inflators at a more consistent rate from their new suppliers, the process will be the same and people can get their vehicles repaired in a more timely fashion. Honda is doing all they can, talk all the shit you want. Yes, they screwed up royally by continuing to use Takata for their inflators after they knew what could and did happen, but they are working diligently on trying to rectify their mistake. Not an excuse, just some insight from the dealer prospective.

-greg
Honda of Chantilly
Old 06-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

First, blame who ever started the thread, it's titled "TL Takata Airbag Recall".

Honestly I think most of us know it's the inflator, but we don't care we just want our car fixed. It's not that serious. I'll remember that next time though cause I'd hate to confuse everyone.

Second, you literally lowered my faith in HMC doing the right thing. You're in Wisconsin and you already got your car fixed? It's a 2013 and I'm in an older model and I'm on a waiting list behind 100s of others? Are you SHI*ING me? I'm in the southeast and my car was put into service in Florida and was there until 2013, been on NC ever since then. I am more at risk than you and your car is fixed. All you can do is brag and be concerned about how long I'll be in a rental? dude, you're lucky...

Can you confirm that the 2008 TL was recalled for the airbag? Link or anything? I was at Chick-Fil-A talking to a woman about my car and the recall last week. She knew nothing about it so she didn't think her 2008 was affected. I ask pretty much everyone with an Acura that I run into if they got the letter. So I find it odd if she didn't get a letter and that person from a different thread is saying they did. Can't find any recall on websites for that model year.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:58 PM
Intermediate

EVERYONE PLEASE BE ADVISED...The only reason my vehicle was able to be repaired so quickly is because I worked at Pohanka Acura for 8 years prior to coming to Honda. I'm on very good terms with almost everyone there in every department so with that being said, of course I was given the priority for repairs. If I was Joe-Shmoe (no offense to anyone) then of course I would be waiting for an inflator just like everyone else. Keep in mind, every one of these new inflators is being ordered on a VIN specific basis. That means the dealer CANNOT use someone else's inflator to repair your vehicle. That's the reason why people have been and will continue to be waiting. I was simply put on critical status because of my history with Pohanka...

When we began replacing the airbag inflators for our Honda lineup back in 2014, the process was exactly the same. No inflator could be used on a vehicle that it wasn't ordered for specifically. However, once Honda began getting more and more available parts to send us, we were able to begin swapping out inflators to meet client demand. I'm sure once Honda begins getting inflators at a more consistent rate from their new suppliers, the process will be the same and people can get their vehicles repaired in a more timely fashion. Honda is doing all they can, talk all the shit you want. Yes, they screwed up royally by continuing to use Takata for their inflators after they knew what could and did happen, but they are working diligently on trying to rectify their mistake. Not an excuse, just some insight from the dealer prospective.

-greg
Honda of Chantilly

Well see Greg, there is this thing most companies have called a Code of Ethics (sometimes referred to as a Code of Conduct). I believe it may actually be required by law if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not an expert by a long shot. I just know the company I work for makes me take an hour long class on it every year then asks me about 20 questions regarding how I conduct business within the company and with suppliers to my company. I guess HMC doesn't roll that expectation down to their dealers, I know the company I work for does, but we are heavy equipment. Basically what you just said goes against all our Code of Ethics.

I'm sure you're a great guy, no offense intended to you, but you really didn't make me any more confident in HMC with your insight. I think most people understand that when you work for a company you will get certain "fringe" benefits, but when it comes to something like this I know the company I work for would not preference employees over anyone else. I've seen it first hand, and everyone gets put in a priority based on a scoring tool that I don't understand, I just know it's fair and puts a priority on making the customer experience the least amount of pain from any quality issue. I can agree this is a massive undertaking, and I can understand parts not being available, but obviously someone isn't doing any type of prioritizing regarding repairs.
The following 2 users liked this post by ReyesMX:
AJW24 (06-09-2016), Hud (06-15-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 11:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
First, blame who ever started the thread, it's titled "TL Takata Airbag Recall".

Honestly I think most of us know it's the inflator, but we don't care we just want our car fixed. It's not that serious. I'll remember that next time though cause I'd hate to confuse everyone.

Second, you literally lowered my faith in HMC doing the right thing. You're in Wisconsin and you already got your car fixed? It's a 2013 and I'm in an older model and I'm on a waiting list behind 100s of others? Are you SHI*ING me? I'm in the southeast and my car was put into service in Florida and was there until 2013, been on NC ever since then. I am more at risk than you and your car is fixed. All you can do is brag and be concerned about how long I'll be in a rental? dude, you're lucky...

Can you confirm that the 2008 TL was recalled for the airbag? Link or anything? I was at Chick-Fil-A talking to a woman about my car and the recall last week. She knew nothing about it so she didn't think her 2008 was affected. I ask pretty much everyone with an Acura that I run into if they got the letter. So I find it odd if she didn't get a letter and that person from a different thread is saying they did. Can't find any recall on websites for that model year.
1. I didn't read his post as "bragging"...he was simply explaining why his car got in first. Nothing more.

2. Sorry that his post has shaken your world view, but if this is the first time you're hearing that some get preferential treatment, then you should be thanking him for opening your eyes. Welcome to the real world. I imagine the guy who has bought several cars from a particular dealer, or manages a fleet account, will get similar treatment. Doesn't seem fair? Again, welcome to earth.

3. The fact that a woman in a "Chick-Fil-A" says she didn't receive a recall notice doesn't mean that said women actually did not receive a notice. The envelops look much the same as the ones that contain tire promotions, etc., and I suspect many throw away or disregard. As well, did you confirm with her that she's actually registered with Acura? Perhaps she bought used, and never once contacted Acura? Possible? It's easy to pick and choose the "facts" upon which we rely, and which seem important to us.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

only said it was the inflator only because a lot of people think it's the airbag; it's confusing.

I had nothing to do with getting my inflator repaired. I'm assuming that the fact that I got a rental car probably had something to do with it. I am thinking that Honda probably allotted a certain amount of replacement inflators to each Acura dealer. They are VIN-connected. The dealer can't swap out one inflator for another car, it has to go to the VIN that Honda says it must go to... I have no idea why they picked mine. I would have been fine with my rental for a few more months (they originally told me September would be the date I would probably get my car back). I certainly wasn't bragging. It's just that's how it worked out. Maybe your dealer had 3X as many customers needing recalls than ours in Wisconsin.

There are also at least 5 different types of inflators in this recall; have no idea if all years of Acura TL's are the same ones.

If you didn't receive a recall notice, you should go online and type in your vin number at: Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

and double check at acura's site: Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Acura Owners Site

It's possible your car didn't get the type of Takata inflators that are being recalled (there are desiccated and non-desiccated ones; from what I understand it's only the non-dessicated inflators that are being recalled at the moment) ... I have a 2002 TL and a 2013 TL and they both had the recalled inflators, but you never know.

I'm also assuming that the passenger-side airbag inflators on my two cars are probably going to be replaced in the future.... more concerned about the 2002 TL since it's older. Just not taking front seat passengers in that car (the driver inflator was replaced last year).

Last edited by lbotez; 06-09-2016 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:18 PM
Drifting

Well see Greg, there is this thing most companies have called a Code of Ethics (sometimes referred to as a Code of Conduct). I believe it may actually be required by law if I'm not mistaken, but I'm not an expert by a long shot. I just know the company I work for makes me take an hour long class on it every year then asks me about 20 questions regarding how I conduct business within the company and with suppliers to my company. I guess HMC doesn't roll that expectation down to their dealers, I know the company I work for does, but we are heavy equipment. Basically what you just said goes against all our Code of Ethics.

I'm sure you're a great guy, no offense intended to you, but you really didn't make me any more confident in HMC with your insight. I think most people understand that when you work for a company you will get certain "fringe" benefits, but when it comes to something like this I know the company I work for would not preference employees over anyone else. I've seen it first hand, and everyone gets put in a priority based on a scoring tool that I don't understand, I just know it's fair and puts a priority on making the customer experience the least amount of pain from any quality issue. I can agree this is a massive undertaking, and I can understand parts not being available, but obviously someone isn't doing any type of prioritizing regarding repairs.
If you don't think the company you work for has some type of preferential treatment going on at some level then your sadly mistaken.
That's life on planet earth. It's not fair, but it happens in all aspects of life.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:21 PM
Drifting

I received my car back yesterday. I am happy to have it back, I missed it greatly. (although the 2016 Maxima's are really nice IMO.)
Hopefully we will have info on the passenger side and side airbag recalls soon. My dealer said they had parts on neither.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:52 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

-greg
Honda of Chantilly
Got it, now it makes sense why it was fixed so fast...Thanks for letting us know.

On another note, renewed my rental contract this past Sat and yesterday I rec'd a call from the Branch Manager asking me if I could exchange the rental. Seems that there is a software recall on the 15 Altima I've had for the past 2 1/2 months... Since it's not serious I'll exchange it when I have a chance.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverJ
If you don't think the company you work for has some type of preferential treatment going on at some level then your sadly mistaken.
That's life on planet earth. It's not fair, but it happens in all aspects of life.
It is "you're" as in "you are".

Sure there is preferential treatment, everywhere. Like when I was a teen and friends of mine worked at a fast food joint and I got free food, or I knew someone who got me into the movies for free, or how some people get jobs, or discounts, etc. because they know someone. Usually you don't go tell everyone because of the slippery slope it can create for you and the others you implicate in your dealings.

However, none of those situations involve the government and a safety recall in which the government agency gave a directive to a company on which cars to repair first.

Straight from NHTSA website "If you’re concerned that your vehicle or piece of motor vehicle equipment has a safety defect, or if you feel that your dealer or manufacturer isn’t fulfilling its obligations to fix a problem, report the issue to NHTSA. "

Point being, somethings you can talk about and somethings you just keep to yourself.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sockpuppet
1. I didn't read his post as "bragging"...he was simply explaining why his car got in first. Nothing more.

2. Sorry that his post has shaken your world view, but if this is the first time you're hearing that some get preferential treatment, then you should be thanking him for opening your eyes. Welcome to the real world. I imagine the guy who has bought several cars from a particular dealer, or manages a fleet account, will get similar treatment. Doesn't seem fair? Again, welcome to earth.

3. The fact that a woman in a "Chick-Fil-A" says she didn't receive a recall notice doesn't mean that said women actually did not receive a notice. The envelops look much the same as the ones that contain tire promotions, etc., and I suspect many throw away or disregard. As well, did you confirm with her that she's actually registered with Acura? Perhaps she bought used, and never once contacted Acura? Possible? It's easy to pick and choose the "facts" upon which we rely, and which seem important to us.
1, Read through his 120 other post. Maybe I am wrong, people interpret things differently, but I would say mentioning the same thing multiple times again and again is bragging. Thanks for responding for them though, that's very kind of you.

2. Read my other reply, again - everyone has their own opinion.

3. Look up 2008 Acura TL at www.Safecar.gov - It was never recalled for the airbag inflator. (at least not yet) Researching before responding. I didn't buy my car through Acura and never registered it with them. I'm assuming the dealership I purchased it from must have since I did get a recall notice.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

only said it was the inflator only because a lot of people think it's the airbag; it's confusing.

I had nothing to do with getting my inflator repaired. I'm assuming that the fact that I got a rental car probably had something to do with it. I am thinking that Honda probably allotted a certain amount of replacement inflators to each Acura dealer. They are VIN-connected. The dealer can't swap out one inflator for another car, it has to go to the VIN that Honda says it must go to... I have no idea why they picked mine. I would have been fine with my rental for a few more months (they originally told me September would be the date I would probably get my car back). I certainly wasn't bragging. It's just that's how it worked out. Maybe your dealer had 3X as many customers needing recalls than ours in Wisconsin.

There are also at least 5 different types of inflators in this recall; have no idea if all years of Acura TL's are the same ones.

If you didn't receive a recall notice, you should go online and type in your vin number at: Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

and double check at acura's site: Recall Information for Safety & Defects | Acura Owners Site

It's possible your car didn't get the type of Takata inflators that are being recalled (there are desiccated and non-desiccated ones; from what I understand it's only the non-dessicated inflators that are being recalled at the moment) ... I have a 2002 TL and a 2013 TL and they both had the recalled inflators, but you never know.

I'm also assuming that the passenger-side airbag inflators on my two cars are probably going to be replaced in the future.... more concerned about the 2002 TL since it's older. Just not taking front seat passengers in that car (the driver inflator was replaced last year).

It's OK...we can move on from this like adults....
Old 06-09-2016, 03:31 PM
But I just got here

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
My dealer has the new inflator in stock right now so I'm dropping the car off tomorrow morning to get it done
Old 06-09-2016, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
1, Read through his 120 other post. Maybe I am wrong, people interpret things differently, but I would say mentioning the same thing multiple times again and again is bragging. Thanks for responding for them though, that's very kind of you.

2. Read my other reply, again - everyone has their own opinion.

3. Look up 2008 Acura TL at www.Safecar.gov - It was never recalled for the airbag inflator. (at least not yet) Researching before responding. I didn't buy my car through Acura and never registered it with them. I'm assuming the dealership I purchased it from must have since I did get a recall notice.
1) Just go get a rental through Acura... you will get your inflator sooner.
2) Now you are whining...
3) You asked the question first....
I first knew my car was affected by reading this thread back in Feb. It was before the letter was sent out. So I was able to call the dealership and get on the waiting list right the way. I am really glad that people are sharing their information and their experience here and that help me greatly. If you are just here to complain.... I think you are better off to do something about it.... trade it in for a BMW or Merc... oh wait, they are affected too. My buddy's Lexus is affected as well and Lexus is not doing anything about it. They just told him to wait until they have parts in....
Old 06-09-2016, 05:58 PM
Drifting

Ok

It is "you're" as in "you are".

Sure there is preferential treatment, everywhere. Like when I was a teen and friends of mine worked at a fast food joint and I got free food, or I knew someone who got me into the movies for free, or how some people get jobs, or discounts, etc. because they know someone. Usually you don't go tell everyone because of the slippery slope it can create for you and the others you implicate in your dealings.

However, none of those situations involve the government and a safety recall in which the government agency gave a directive to a company on which cars to repair first.

Straight from NHTSA website "If you’re concerned that your vehicle or piece of motor vehicle equipment has a safety defect, or if you feel that your dealer or manufacturer isn’t fulfilling its obligations to fix a problem, report the issue to NHTSA. "

Point being, somethings you can talk about and somethings you just keep to yourself.
Its lazy internet type on my behalf but yes still grammatically incorrect. So...good catch ?
I tend to be Ralph Nader'ish about things like this myself, but I think he was just being honest about why his car got fixed first. I don't think he requested special treatment and I don't think he was bragging. But then again, I don't read all of his posts either. Having said that, my car got fixed because whoever was scheduled next could not get into the dealership anytime soon, so they fixed my car (after me spending 2 months in a rental) before theirs. I kept on top of the dealer too, calling frequently, so who knows if that influenced them.

Last edited by SilverJ; 06-09-2016 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
my dealer told me - owners with out a loan car - get priority
Old 06-10-2016, 01:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My experience...called my dealer in early May to put my name on the waiting list for the replacement part. Turned down the dealer's offer of a rental--told them I was comfortable driving my TL while waiting for the replacement. Got a call just before Memorial Day that the part was in for my car. Took the car in and now have a fixed car. So, even though I was late in getting on the list and I didn't opt for the rental car, my replacement part arrived relatively quickly.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:28 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dordale
My experience...called my dealer in early May to put my name on the waiting list for the replacement part. Turned down the dealer's offer of a rental--told them I was comfortable driving my TL while waiting for the replacement. Got a call just before Memorial Day that the part was in for my car. Took the car in and now have a fixed car. So, even though I was late in getting on the list and I didn't opt for the rental car, my replacement part arrived relatively quickly.
As with anyone getting their car fixed, it's good to hear. However, still disappointing based on the information being provided by the HMC and the NHTSA. Don't take this as anything against you, I'm just laying out some facts here.

This makes sense that your car was repaired so quickly - direct from Honda's website "*Honda’s HAH zone is broader than the area originally identified by NHTSA and includes: Florida; Hawaii; Georgia; Alabama; Louisiana; Mississippi; Texas; South Carolina; California; North Carolina; Arkansas; Saipan; American Samoa; the U.S. Virgin Islands; and Puerto Rico."

North Carolina was added after a 2007 Ford Mustand injury, story here: Ford: Mustang driver injured by air bag fragment in North Carolina crash | Reuters

I totally understand that Honda voluntarily added NC, note red text, but to me that means priority for the replacement inflator shipments should be these states first. Honda posts a 47% completion rate in the HAH zone and 47.7 nationally in the US, with a "unprecedented 20,000 inflators being replaced daily". I don't see any sense of urgency if people outside of the HAH Zone are being replaced first. Call it whining, bitching or whatever you want, but Honda clearly stated in their February 3rd press release on how the repair priority would be handled. North Carolina was added after this press release, so maybe someone dropped the ball on this.

Statement by American Honda Regarding Nationwide Recall of Certain Takata PSDI-5 Driver Front Airbag Inflators - Recalls - Honda News

"Honda plans to replace all of these recalled inflators with new parts from an alternative supplier at no cost to owners of Honda and Acura vehicles. Due to the large volume of new inflators needed to repair vehicles, the necessary replacement parts will not become available until Summer 2016. As a result, owners of affected vehicles will be informed of the recall in an initial notification letter within 60 days. Once replacement parts become available, Honda will send a second notification letter to owners with instructions to pursue repair at their local authorized dealer. The second round of notifications will prioritize older model year vehicles located in certain High Absolute Humidity regions1 and will expand to other areas of the country as more replacement parts become available."

So, did anyone on this forum actually receive a second notice that parts were available?
Old 06-10-2016, 06:47 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by crxb
Makes sense since the people still driving their vehicles are at more risk of getting injured and suing. It also makes sense for them to replace the inflators in cars before selling them since it will be a lower warranty repair bill and selling cars is how they make money, warranty repairs are all a loss. (based on info from another post I read on here) When a dealer repairs a car on the lot under warranty there is a specified cost associated with it, while for those with cars sold to someone already have the cost for the rental (if applicable) and then the repair cost added onto it.

Anyone notice that the idemnification agreement stated that you could have HMC pay for your car to be towed home when picking up a rental? Also that you can request for them to tow it to the dealership? This would just be more warranty cost on that repair. I have not heard anyone use this option, so can anyone comment if they have?
Old 06-10-2016, 07:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverJ
Its lazy internet type on my behalf but yes still grammatically incorrect. So...good catch ?
I tend to be Ralph Nader'ish about things like this myself, but I think he was just being honest about why his car got fixed first. I don't think he requested special treatment and I don't think he was bragging. But then again, I don't read all of his posts either. Having said that, my car got fixed because whoever was scheduled next could not get into the dealership anytime soon, so they fixed my car (after me spending 2 months in a rental) before theirs. I kept on top of the dealer too, calling frequently, so who knows if that influenced them.
No one is perfect, it's water under the bridge. I am probably more frustrated because HMC is saying one thing, but from looking on here they are doing something completely different. Although most people don't mind a loaner/rental, I honestly don't pay to have my car sit in my garage. Most of us probably took that 5-Star safety reporting into account when purchasing, but now we are told our cars can kill or maim us. The news clearly shows us what can happen but dealers might tell people "No injury or death was ever in an Acura", which some know is not true and it doesn't make me feel safer.

We probably feel no differently than those who had a Toyota that could have a stuck gas pedal due to the floor mat. A simple issue covered up resulting the loss of life. Remember this: Toyota to Pay $1.2B for Hiding Deadly ‘Unintended Acceleration’ - ABC News
Old 06-10-2016, 07:12 AM
Intermediate

One of the first news articles that came up for me today. Interesting reading, for those who would like to. I'm obviously Googling "Takata" too much.

The Takata Airbag Recall Is Now a Full-Blown Crisis - Fortune
Old 06-10-2016, 11:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
why don't the registration departments of the states, insurance companies, and NHTSA work together to share VIN# information - to help track down the current owners of cars involved in the recalls ?

Old 06-11-2016, 06:16 PM
Drifting

No one is perfect, it's water under the bridge. I am probably more frustrated because HMC is saying one thing, but from looking on here they are doing something completely different. Although most people don't mind a loaner/rental, I honestly don't pay to have my car sit in my garage. Most of us probably took that 5-Star safety reporting into account when purchasing, but now we are told our cars can kill or maim us. The news clearly shows us what can happen but dealers might tell people "No injury or death was ever in an Acura", which some know is not true and it doesn't make me feel safer.

We probably feel no differently than those who had a Toyota that could have a stuck gas pedal due to the floor mat. A simple issue covered up resulting the loss of life. Remember this: Toyota to Pay $1.2B for Hiding Deadly ‘Unintended Acceleration’ - ABC News
Your preaching to the choir bro. Read my previous posts.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
As others have said, this is water under the bridge. We bought the cars and they probably all that Takata inflators all around. That leaves us with our own choices: 1. Live with it and have the inflators replaced if/when our VINs show up for the passenger and side air bags. 2. Trade in our cars and grab something that doesn't have the Takata inflator of 3. Just keep driving it and take our chances. I really like my TL. It's a great car to drive, perfect balance of sport and luxury. I'd hate to get rid of it. The MDX, my wife loves that too. We looked at a bunch of other SUVs, and she just doesn't like any of them as much as our 2013.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:15 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by james21_h
I first knew my car was affected by reading this thread back in Feb. It was before the letter was sent out. So I was able to call the dealership and get on the waiting list right the way. I am really glad that people are sharing their information and their experience here and that help me greatly. If you are just here to complain.... I think you are better off to do something about it.... trade it in for a BMW or Merc... oh wait, they are affected too. My buddy's Lexus is affected as well and Lexus is not doing anything about it. They just told him to wait until they have parts in....
I agree, the information I read on this forum was very useful in working with my dealer and even speaking to my insurance company. When I first contacted my dealer back in Feb they asked me to forward them the information I read here since they weren't aware of it at the time. Especially the forms explaining that owners were being allowed to get a rental a keep their cars at home.

Originally Posted by crxb
And my dealer told me the opposite, that owners who take a loaner or rental get first priority since Acura wants to stop paying for the loaner, and especially for a rental ASAP. Who really knows for sure..
Old 06-14-2016, 12:44 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Takata Non-Desiccated Front Passenger Airbag Inflator Recall Update 6/14/16
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...hjk/embed/auto
The following 3 users liked this post by EE4Life:
crxb (06-15-2016), hadokenuh (06-15-2016), JT4 (06-15-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by EE4Life
Takata Non-Desiccated Front Passenger Airbag Inflator Recall Update 6/14/16
20160614_BRUCE_AIRBAG_6-9-16v2_768Kbps_360p
Did I hear that right.........

Customer has to contact American Honda and request for loaner vehicle but not everyone will get a loaner. I do understand the risk but what if this is the only vehicle you have and you have to go on a family trip.
Old 06-14-2016, 04:55 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
both my RDX and TL are getting repaired this saturday. i did call the dealership and request for 2 rental vehicles which help speed up the process.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
I recently traded in my 09 TL FWD Tech for a 2012 TL SH-AWD Advance , I got a really good offer/deal I couldn't resist. My 09 had the inflator replaced the last day of April but the '12 was still carrying the defective part, I bought it anyways knowing I will be provided with a loaner or rental from any Acura dealer. After a couple days I called my local Acura dealer in MD which is Rosenthal in Gaithersburg, they had the part in stock so I drove by, got an RDX loaner and after 1 hour my car was all set. The experience and service provided at Rosenthal is excellent, and even that I got free oil changes for 4 years from the VA Acura dealer with the recent car purchase I will keep going to Rosenthal Acura for all my service needs.

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall