TL Takata Airbag Recall

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 07:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Just a quick update:

I am from Texas. I've been on a rental since April and have not got a call from my advisor. I left him a message but have not heard back. I don't mind driving the rental but kind of miss driving my TL
Rental since Feb here

Honda just this week got the airbag replaced in my daughter's Fit (also had rental since Feb)

Old 06-23-2016, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Ive had my rental since March and finally got the call tonight!!! Getting it towed in AM. Cant wait to get out of my Chevy rental 💩
Old 06-24-2016, 07:30 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Just a quick update:

I am from Texas. I've been on a rental since April and have not got a call from my advisor. I left him a message but have not heard back. I don't mind driving the rental but kind of miss driving my TL
I was put on the "order list" late Feb / March and was in a rental since the beginning of April, so I can relate to you. Last Saturday I finally had the inflator installed . Hopefully your inflator will be in soon..
Old 06-24-2016, 08:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, my service advisor told me that older TL (mines a 2012) were being prioritized because they know that these cars definitely have defective and dangerous airbags. Each replacement is tied to individual car serial numbers.

Newer TL's are pretty well known not to have defective airbags, but they are of the same brand, Takata. Honda/Acura decided that they didnt want the liability and PR downside by having their newer cars still equiped with Takata.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:56 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got the call that my TL airbag is in and is ready to be replaced. Was put into a rental in April the final bill from Enterprise was over $3000. Going to miss the rental a bit, was a new Chevy Tahoe, But will be nice to be back in my car.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Posted on this forum yesterday complaining about the wait. Inflator repaired today!! 3+ months. I did get a new battery without asking but had to pay $10 for the keyfob Battery. Good deal if you ask me. Good luck to all those waiting.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After ~ 2 months of waiting, got the call yesterday that my dealer got the inflator in, and got it replaced this morning.

Just a heads up as well - while my 2010 TL was there, the service advisor let me know that there is a recall that just came out earlier this week for our transmission as well. He said that Acura will be mailing out recall notices for it sometime this week. Had the airbag inflator and this transmission issue done at the same time. According to the service invoice:

"Software update for lock-up clutch function" SB 16-033
There is a judder from the torque converter lock-up clutch felt while driving between 20-45 MPH. To minimize the possibility for the judder to occur, a software update for the transmission is available. Updated the A/T and PGM-FI software and replaced the transmission fluid as per recall.

Anyone else heard of this?
The following users liked this post:
boss2k (06-29-2016)
Old 06-25-2016, 03:48 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by rocketpants
After ~ 2 months of waiting, got the call yesterday that my dealer got the inflator in, and got it replaced this morning.

Just a heads up as well - while my 2010 TL was there, the service advisor let me know that there is a recall that just came out earlier this week for our transmission as well. He said that Acura will be mailing out recall notices for it sometime this week. Had the airbag inflator and this transmission issue done at the same time. According to the service invoice:

There is a judder from the torque converter lock-up clutch felt while driving between 20-45 MPH. To minimize the possibility for the judder to occur, a software update for the transmission is available. Updated the A/T and PGM-FI software and replaced the transmission fluid as per recall.

Thanks for the heads-up. SB 16-033 only applies to the 2009-2011 2WD TLs. See the link to the Service Bulletin inside here: https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...letins-945436/
Old 06-25-2016, 06:58 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Got mine replaced Friday after 2-1/2 months of rental. I put over 5,000 miles on the rental (2016 Ford Taurus Limited) and figured I saved a few hundred in insurance while driving it. In all honesty, I don't think I was inconvenienced much. The Taurus, though not as engaging to drive as my TL, had a lot of tech and interior niceties that made up for it: remote start, cooled seats, auto-retract seat and steering wheel, trajectory backup camera, etc. Had a battery warning when I drove the TL in, so they replaced it. But rather than replacing it under warranty, which would have carried a pro-rated warranty, they billed me for the battery but then gave me a gift card in the amount. So that way I get the full 5-year battery warranty since I "paid" for a new one. Pretty nice of them to do it that way. And since the TL has 103K miles on it, they did the timing belt/water pump service, all in the same day.

I'm pretty satisfied how my dealer handled this and I have no complaints.

It's nice to be back in the TL, though. I missed the SH-AWD on ramps and loops.
Old 06-27-2016, 09:21 PM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
In MN, I have not heard from the dealer yet on the replacement.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:37 AM
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Had mine in this weekend, took just an hour and half to do over here in NJ. Had my rental for about 3 months, went to Canada, Ohio, NC, and Florida on it =) Saved myself a ton of miles on my car, couldn't be happier!
Old 06-28-2016, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RenoTL
Thanks for the heads-up. SB 16-033 only applies to the 2009-2011 2WD TLs. See the link to the Service Bulletin inside here: https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...letins-945436/
Cannot see the details for SB 16-033, will acura be sending a recall letter for this ? I have a 2010 FWD TL , is that impacted?
Old 06-28-2016, 02:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by boss2k
Cannot see the details for SB 16-033, will acura be sending a recall letter for this ? I have a 2010 FWD TL , is that impacted?
If you open the 1st link inside the 2nd post of the thread I linked to you'll see the actual Service Bulletin SB 16-033.
boss2k (06-29-2016)
Old 06-28-2016, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
For those of you who haven't heard from your dealer and have a rental. Contact them, weekly. I got mine supposedly fixed ahead of time by being persistent.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:29 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by rocketpants

ATL area, my kia was replaced with a dodge charger which was nice.

I've got the same recall on the torque converter i believe.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:06 PM
Cruisin'

Seems like this car should be avoided till the Driver, Passenger, and side air bags needs to be done
Old 06-29-2016, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AJW24
Seems like this car should be avoided till the Driver, Passenger, and side air bags needs to be done
I already have one so I can't avoid. But, if I were in the market for a new (used) car, I wouldn't even think about a 4G TL(or any other car that has this issue) until all inflators are fixed.
AJW24 (06-29-2016)
Old 06-29-2016, 08:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I already have one so I can't avoid. But, if I were in the market for a new (used) car, I wouldn't even think about a 4G TL(or any other car that has this issue) until all inflators are fixed.
oh I agree haha. I like the looks and performance reviews with the AWD but after reading this takata situation and oil consumption, it made me want to avoid this vehicle.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:14 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

If you open the 1st link inside the 2nd post of the thread I linked to you'll see the actual Service Bulletin SB 16-033.
IMO the TSB really isn't clear if there is going to be a recall on this. The TSB doesn't mention recall as the airbag TSB does, but it does state that "Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign". At least Acura is going to extend the warranty on the affected cars to 8 yrs / 105K miles from the original purchase date of the vehicle on the related parts and for software updates.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
After almost 3 months got a call this morning that the part for the airbag recall is in, scheduled an appointment at 9:00 AM Friday morning and can't fucking wait to drive my car again.
Old 06-30-2016, 03:13 PM
10th Gear

I drove my car today from the garage to driveway and back. Been in a minivan for 6 weeks. My wife is starting to like the minivan :-(
Old 06-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the oil consumption issue. Search any vehicle, even the OLD tech GM 5.3s and the like and some seem to burn oil. I have 2 3.7s and it hasn't been an issue yet and it isn't something I worry about. You want a real nightmare? Search for threads about Direct Injection technology and the problems the auto makers are having with those. You lay your bet down when you buy any car, especially a used one. Honda/Acura has been a good bet for a long time.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:46 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by WNY PAT
I wouldn't worry about the oil consumption issue. Search any vehicle, even the OLD tech GM 5.3s and the like and some seem to burn oil. I have 2 3.7s and it hasn't been an issue yet and it isn't something I worry about. You want a real nightmare? Search for threads about Direct Injection technology and the problems the auto makers are having with those. You lay your bet down when you buy any car, especially a used one. Honda/Acura has been a good bet for a long time.
Hey, Pat, thanks for sharing. Where about are you in WNY? I'm in East Amherst.

My TL burns oil and it is concerning me but it seems to be steady (2-3 quarts per OCI). One thing that I note is that though many members with the 3.7 have oil consumption issues and a few have had their short/long blocks replaced under warranty, I haven't heard of anyone spinning a rod or frying rings. As long as you are aware of and keep on top of the oil burning, the engine seems to survive, at least in the short term.
Old 07-01-2016, 12:23 PM
Instructor

I'm close to you then. About 10 minutes from the end of the 990. 2-3 quarts per change would bother me but I have to imagine the vast majority of 3.7s like mine are not having the issue. That said, it stinks for you. Did you buy new at Ray Laks? If so, are they doing anything for you?
Old 07-01-2016, 07:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

you may have already seen this

Stop driving your 2001-2003 Honda or Acura, says NHTSA

JUNE 30, 2016
Popular Hondas and Acuras are under recall for airbags that have been found to be even more dangerous than before.
TAKATA AIRBAGS IN THESE VEHICLES ARE EVEN MORE LIKELY TO CAUSE DEATH OR INJURY

An even more dangerous batch of Takata airbags has been uncovered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Certain 2001-2003 Honda and Acura vehicles have shown rupture rates as high as 50 percent when tested, prompting officials to tell owners to stop driving their cars.

“The risk posed by the airbag inflators in these vehicles is grave, and it is critical they be repaired now to avoid more deaths and serious injuries,” the NHTSA said in a statement.

The situation is urgent for these vehicles:
  • 2001-2002 Honda Civic
  • 2001-2002 Honda Accord
  • 2002-2003 Acura TL
  • 2002 Honda CR-V
  • 2002 Honda Odyssey
  • 2003 Acura CL
  • 2003 Honda Pilot

RECALLS

Another death linked to Takata airbags; Honda urges owners to participate in recall

Another death has been linked to recalled Takata airbags. Late last month a 17-year-old driver of a 2002 Honda Civic died from an injury caused by the deployment of an airbag during a rear-end ...

“The air bag inflators in this particular group of vehicles pose a grave danger to drivers and passengers that must be fixed right away,” said NHTSA administrator Dr. Mark Rosekind.

These airbags reportedly contain a manufacturing defect that makes them even more likely to rupture than other Takata airbags, according to the NHTSA.

If you own one of the affected vehicles, you should immediately take it to the dealer to get it fixed at no charge. The risk of airbag rupture increases in areas of high temperature and humidity like Florida or Texas.

Of the 10 deaths already attributed to this Takata airbag defect, eight of them have occurred in one of the Honda or Acura models specified above. 313,000 vehicles with the defective airbag still haven't been fixed, so it's important for owners to heed the recall and take their car in to avoid the potential safety risks. Drivers should visit SaferCar.gov to check whether their vehicle has any outstanding recalls.

link below

Takata airbag recall for Hondas cites grave danger from NHTSA
Old 07-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Honda says Takata airbag ruptured in fatal crash in Malaysia | Reuters

Business | Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:23am EDTHonda says Takata airbag ruptured in fatal crash in Malaysia

A man is reflected on a window at Honda Motor's showroom in Tokyo, Japan, May 13, 2016.
REUTERS/TORU HANAI/FILE PHOTOHonda Motor Co Ltd (7267.T) said the driver-side airbag inflator ruptured during a fatal crash in Malaysia, possibly the third death this year in the Southeast Asian country linked to airbags from supplier Takata Corp (7312.T).

A 44-year-old woman in the driver seat of a Honda City was found with injuries to her chest from an item protruding from the center of the steering wheel, and the driver's front airbag was found ruptured following an accident on Saturday, local daily The Star reported on Monday.

The woman later died at the scene of the accident.

Honda said it had confirmed with Malaysian police during an inspection that the Takata single stage driver's airbag inflator had ruptured in the crash, but said the official cause of death had not been determined.

Takata could not immediately be reached for comment outside regular business hours.

The car involved in the crash, a 2005 model of the Honda City, was involved in a recall issued in May 2015 that required the replacement of airbag inflators in the driver and passenger sides, the company said.

Three mailed recall notices were sent to the owner of the car involved in the fatal crash, Honda said, adding its records indicated that the recall repair was never completed.

Last week, Honda issued more recalls in Malaysia, as part of a global recall involving potentially deadly airbags from Takata. The recall included the City, Accord and Civic models, among others.

The inflators, which regulators fear could explode with excessive force after prolonged exposure to heat and humidity, had already been linked to over 100 injuries and 13 deaths.

Honda said in May driver-side inflators supplied by Takata ruptured in two fatal crashes involving Honda cars in Malaysia earlier this year.

A Honda Malaysia spokesman told Reuters last week that local authorities were still investigating the cause of the two deaths.
Old 07-02-2016, 11:13 AM
2011 SH-AWD 6MT

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by WNY PAT
I'm close to you then. About 10 minutes from the end of the 990. 2-3 quarts per change would bother me but I have to imagine the vast majority of 3.7s like mine are not having the issue. That said, it stinks for you. Did you buy new at Ray Laks? If so, are they doing anything for you?
No, bought it from a PA dealer (only 6mt I could find after 5 months of searching). Ray Laks hasn't given consistent info on the consumption test. So next oil change I'm going to request one and make them be clear on how they want me to handle it. Still under factory power train warranty so I'm hopeful I'll get a determination before warranty expires (February of next year). We will see. If no new motor then I'll trade it in after it's paid off.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I was in the wait list for almost exactly 2 months. Had a new airbag installed yesterday, took 45 minutes drive in to drive out.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:04 PM
Instructor

Yes. The 6 MT is the TL to have. I do love the auto for traffic in the AM and PM rush, but will always have clutch envy. In your shoes, I just honestly don't know what I'd replace the TL with. It's a sports sedan in the summer but still makes for a good winter car even around here when we can get pounded at times. Maybe ask to have Acura extend the powertrain out to 120K or something. I'm sure there are no easy fixes, but I'd be messing around with different brand and weight oils a bit. I don't know if you've even had service at Ray Laks but they are typically pretty good as dealer service goes. I do my own fluid changes and PM (oil, filter, tranny, diffs, transfer case, etc) and the parts counter always gives me a discount and also some nice tips about how to access the plugs the first time I changed the fluids out. I bought both my MDX (new) and TL (CPO) from them and both were positive experiences. Not a bunch of back and forth nonsense. They started pretty reasonable, I countered and we ended up meeting in the middle on the TL. I got the MDX for $500 more than Rosenthal offered for their special online price without any haggling at all. I was happy with that to buy local. I'm sure they will treat you well regardless. Best of luck.

Originally Posted by ABDomega
No, bought it from a PA dealer (only 6mt I could find after 5 months of searching). Ray Laks hasn't given consistent info on the consumption test. So next oil change I'm going to request one and make them be clear on how they want me to handle it. Still under factory power train warranty so I'm hopeful I'll get a determination before warranty expires (February of next year). We will see. If no new motor then I'll trade it in after it's paid off.

Last edited by WNY PAT; 07-02-2016 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
IMO the TSB really isn't clear if there is going to be a recall on this. The TSB doesn't mention recall as the airbag TSB does, but it does state that "Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign". At least Acura is going to extend the warranty on the affected cars to 8 yrs / 105K miles from the original purchase date of the vehicle on the related parts and for software updates.
Checked with my dealer and my car is on the recall for this issue but no notification from acura yet. He says if i notice any transmission issue then they can fix it but i dont notice anything. Should i wait for acura to send me a letter?
Old 07-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just got my inflator replaced on my 2010 TL SH-AWD. Took about an hour. Newark, DE. I had been driving their 2016 RDX loaner since February 29. Put about 4,800 miles on it. I will miss the adaptive cruise control - that was pretty cool. While I was there I asked if they would throw in a free map upgrade to "compensate" me for my "inconvenience." They said they couldn't do it for me. That was OK. I asked about the other air bag inflators and they said they had no new information.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:25 AM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,392 Likes on 644 Posts
Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Update 7/8/16
http://www.kaltura.com/index.php/ext...rke/embed/auto
crxb (07-11-2016)
Old 07-09-2016, 02:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EE4Life
Takata Airbag Inflator Recall Update 7/8/16
20160708_BRUCE_AIRBAG_DEALER_7-7-16v4_768Kbps_360p
Thanks for posting these "insider" update messages. It really helps keep us informed of what is going on.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:34 PM
Advanced

I've been experiencing this issue. Acura has in the past "been unable to duplicate" which is my local dealers code for "We did nothing".

Hopefully now I can get something done. Most likely, they just say my VIN isn't affected.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:46 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by lbotez
No rental cars for passenger side airbags then. Apparently we are supposed to leave the passenger seat in the front empty.

It would be nice to know what cars are affected. July?
WTF!!! Drive the car with no one in the front seat? They have got to be kidding!! What am I, a cab driver?!?! And do we start this now, or wait intel the decide to let us in on what cars are effected?! (I'm sure it's ALL of them!)

Damn Honda! I'm still stinging from the rental car fiasco.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:59 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by RKEnnis
WTF!!! Drive the car with no one in the front seat? They have got to be kidding!! What am I, a cab driver?!?! And do we start this now, or wait intel the decide to let us in on what cars are effected?! (I'm sure it's ALL of them!)

Damn Honda! I'm still stinging from the rental car fiasco.
It was good that they offered us rentals until the the drivers side inflators were fixed, especially when other manufacturers weren't and still aren't offering rentals. But I agree it's pretty ridiculous to tell owners to have passengers avoid the front passenger seat in their personal vehicles. I would much prefer if they just disconnected the "freaking" airbags until all these issues are resolved.

IMO it seems more risky to drive around with the airbags active then to drive around without them.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:49 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stepping away from the thread - traded my recalled 2012 Advance in for a new 2016 MDX w/tech on Friday. I joked to the dealer that now that the car is their problem I bet the recalled part gets here faster - he said that it will actually put it at the bottom of the list. Not sure if that's true or not, but ya know.

He did mention in passing they took a Toyota in as trade and then days later it went to stop sale due to the airbag issue. Toyota told them it would be 8-12 months to get the new part. I'm never one to feel bad for thieving dealers, but I really hope they're getting some sort of assistance from Honda to be sitting on all of these cars that need repairs as trade-ins when they can't even sell them.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JT4
It was good that they offered us rentals until the the drivers side inflators were fixed, especially when other manufacturers weren't and still aren't offering rentals. But I agree it's pretty ridiculous to tell owners to have passengers avoid the front passenger seat in their personal vehicles. I would much prefer if they just disconnected the "freaking" airbags until all these issues are resolved.

IMO it seems more risky to drive around with the airbags active then to drive around without them.
Have they actually said don't drive the car with a passenger ? Or are they still going with the "we have no idea if the passenger side bag is affected" guise?
I think the if we had the wonder woman lasso of truth the answer would be " Look we are losing billions of dollars on the driver side recall, were not ready to
lose another 3 billion on the passenger side recall so we are just acting like we have no idea what airbag inflator is in the other airbags"
Old 07-11-2016, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 158 Posts
Supposedly my airbag is coming in around the end of this month. Orders from early April are just getting in now and I called mine in late April.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan
Supposedly my airbag is coming in around the end of this month. Orders from early April are just getting in now and I called mine in late April.
Keep checking frequently muffin. That how I got my fix a tad earlier than expected.

Quick Reply: TL Takata Airbag Recall