Nightmare Acura TL experience....*UPDATE pg 7* Superior Acura of Fairfield ROCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with you.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by CleanCL
Actually my first Acura was a 2001 CL which had the notorious transmission problems. When it failed, multiple times, I did not expect Acura to replace my car. I expected them to fix the issue.
Did your trans fail within two-three weeks of ownership? Did you have to pay to have it towed to the dealership? Did it leave you stranded miles from home with no way back?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Given the vague answer and fix they gave me when I had a rear suspension problem immediately after I leased my car, I could easily see how especially after the grave circumstances you were put in you would no longer trust the car. ESPECIALLY with no reasonable explanation and evidence to back up the work they did on the fuel pump. Further you tested the car and still found it to be not up to your standard. I wish you luck in whatever car you choose and hopefully it works out for the best in someway.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
We were in your shoes, but with Toyota back in 2007. We bought a 2007 Camry XLE V6 fully loaded with every option. 500 miles later the transmission blew up, and we almost got into a accident. Toyota had some issues with transmissions on that model year car, and offered us three choices.

1) Replace the transmission and give us a extended warranty
2) Replace the car with a identical one (which had to be ordered 2 month wait)
3) Refund

We decided to give them another chance, and went with option 2. We drove the repaired Camry during that time, and it was fine till the new one came in. We picked it up, and 1500 miles later, exactly the same crap happened after they said they resolved the problems. Transmission blew.

Toyota again offered the same stuff, this time we asked for our Money back. It took a bit, but during that time we owned two cars. We went to Acura and got the 06 RL we had while the Camry sat.

Toyota worked with us very well. But from my experience as I had a few Infiniti/Nissan's, they don't care and you will not get a thing from them if you have a similar problem. Toyota seems to be the only one that actually cared.

Originally Posted by graphicguy
Said it before....I don't care what Acura thinks of me at this point. They can call me a complainer. They can call me a jerk. They can call me anything they want to. Matter of fact, they can kiss me where the sun don't shine.

If they want to act like pricks towards me, I'll gladly return the favor.

Again, don't know that anyone would want to be in my shoes. Obviously some think I'm being irrational. That's OK, too.

Bottom line, my new TL came close to getting me in an accident. I have no faith that they truly fixed the cause of the problem. Further, I won't take my new TL (I know you guys think it's used, but it's now barely a month old....that's new to me) on the highway.

And, as long as it's still in my possession, I'll complain about every little niggly thing I can about it, until it's no longer in my garage.

I'm just reflecting the attitude and treatment as Acura has shown towards me.

I will find a car, a car company, and a dealership who appreciates my business, and is worthy of my money.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
After coming out of this Acura, the fuel pumps in the BMWs have me quite leery. At least those cars go into "limp mode" if their fuel pumps go south, I suppose.

I can probably stomach a few grand to extricate myself from this Acura mess. That pretty much limits me to the Audi A4 or the G37.

Actually if a Fuel Pump died, the car would DIE. It would not go into Limp mode. I know a few who this happened too.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
We were in your shoes, but with Toyota back in 2007. We bought a 2007 Camry XLE V6 fully loaded with every option. 500 miles later the transmission blew up, and we almost got into a accident. Toyota had some issues with transmissions on that model year car, and offered us three choices.

3) Refund

We decided to give them another chance, and went with option 2. We drove the repaired Camry during that time, and it was fine till the new one came in. We picked it up, and 1500 miles later, exactly the same crap happened after they said they resolved the problems. Transmission blew.

Toyota again offered the same stuff, this time we asked for our Money back. It took a bit, but during that time we owned two cars. We went to Acura and got the 06 RL we had while the Camry sat.

Toyota worked with us very well. But from my experience as I had a few Infiniti/Nissan's, they don't care and you will not get a thing from them if you have a similar problem. Toyota seems to be the only one that actually cared.
pimpin....that's the way it's supposed to work.

As much crap as Toyota has taken recently, I'd bet they won't be ignoring customer complaints any more.

As far as my alleged fuel pump issue, even on the repair order it states that there was some sort of electrical problem in something that came before the fuel pump. When I quizzed the dealer's service about that line item, that's when he said Acura would only authorize the replacement of the fuel pump, but none of the other pieces which caused the failure to begin with.

That's why I've said they only fixed the symptoms, not the cause. This will happen again. Of that I have no doubt. The question is, when, and what the circumstances surrounding the failure are (which could be deadly).

I'm also convinced that's why the motor didn't buck, miss, etc when the car shut down. Whatever parts and pieces that caused it to fail, it just shut down.

Either Acura, or the dealer service dept took the cheap route. Not the correct route.

Last edited by graphicguy; 04-13-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3) Refund

Now im sure if graphicguy was offered such options, this thread would be nonexistant. For what its worth, I do not see graphicguy's expectations of a new replacement to be out of line, especially since it happened <1000 miles and in the first 3 weeks of ownership.

1. The dealer offered a way to get him a replacement, but was denied due to an undeserved bonus headed in the direction of the Acura Regional Rep.

2. Other companies, i.e. Toyota, are able to understand and offer reasonable options, Why cant acura? (no, I am not praising Toyota...just using them as an example)

Last edited by ankur914; 04-13-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ankur914
Now im sure if graphicguy was offered such options, this thread would be nonexistant. For what its worth, I do not see graphicguy's expectations of a new replacement to be out of line, especially since it happened <1000 miles and in the first 3 weeks of ownership.

1. The dealer offered a way to get him a replacement, but was denied due to an undeserved bonus headed in the direction of the Acura Regional Rep.

2. Other companies, i.e. Toyota, are able to understand and offer reasonable options, Why cant acura? (no, I am not praising Toyota...just using them as an example)
You just nailed it!!!!!!!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
You have my sympathy regarding your situation. As far as the tow charges, Acura provides the warranty, you do what THEY tell you to do to a tee and not what YOU think is the right thing to do. It's easy as that. $300 lesson learned.

As for the other issues, if I were you, just out of principle the extra $13K you would end up spending by trading it in, I would use that money to retain a lawyer like I said before. You will be surprised how quick they will turn their stance around. No smart company likes to go into litigation especially if it is to smear their reputation. Best of all, if Acura changes their attitude, the lawyer would be paid at Acura's dime. Sticking it to them twice is sweet revenge.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Did your trans fail within two-three weeks of ownership? Did you have to pay to have it towed to the dealership? Did it leave you stranded miles from home with no way back?
Yup, brought it to Acura twice, 2 transmissions later, I got it replaced 2 more times by outside parties. 4 transmissions total. Never got reimbursed for any of my out of pocket expenses.

I thought that was bad until I read about the treatment at BMW dealerships. I went to Audi and their dealership people were horrendous, I couldn't even stomach to try and negotiate buying a car from them. Then I went to Lexus, superb treatment, but their stock has plummeted rapidly. So I got back into an Acura. No matter where you go, everyone has a story. If you think buying a BMW or Audi will keep you out of the service bay, you are sadly mistaken.

Don't even get my started with the American car dealerships. All you can do is cross your fingers and hope you get a car with no problems. But believe me, EVERY car brand has problems like this.

Last edited by CleanCL; 04-13-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks docboy. I guess until someone has experienced the frustration of going through a similar situation as you did with Lexus, and I'm going through with Acura, from the outside it looks like we're whiners and complainers. But, once it happens to you, the frustration, anger and dissatisfaction becomes all too real, to the point when you say "enough is enough". I'm not putting up with any more.

Even looking at how my out of pocket expenses and time starts to add up in dealing with these issues, even throwing out the tow charges. I've probably spent a good 2-3 hours on the phone with different dealership and Acura corporate people. Add another couple of hours going to and from the dealership. Another couple of hours with the dealership's personnel, face-to-face. Waiting over an hour for a tow. Another couple of hours during the tow to the dealership, on a holiday, no less. Add in another couple of hours to walk home from the dealership. This isn't over a long period of time. This has happened over just 4 weeks of ownership. What's all that worth?

Add another $32 to send an overnight letter to Acura corporate outlining my experience.

According to Acura, all that's worth nothing. Matter of fact, I paid for the "privilege" of all of this aggravation by plunking down about $40K large for their car, not including my time, and out of pocket expenses.

Just to get another new car that I feel safe and confident in (something I thought I was getting to begin with), clearly that's going to run me at least a few thousand.

It's definitely not fun being kicked in the 'nads and having the kicker want you to take it and smile about it, as you can attest.

PG, thanks for the heads up on the 5. After thinking about it, I'm trying to minimize the financial sting as much as possible. I'm already in too deep with the TL, after adding everything up, to really add another $10K-$15K more to this disaster. After coming out of this Acura, the fuel pumps in the BMWs have me quite leery. At least those cars go into "limp mode" if their fuel pumps go south, I suppose.

I can probably stomach a few grand to extricate myself from this Acura mess. That pretty much limits me to the Audi A4 or the G37.

Graphic, sorry to hear about your troubles. I hate to be a buzz kill, but no matter what company you go to you'll find this kind of treatment, even the luxury divisions. Their is no such thing as brand or dealership loyalty anymore. I have had Acura's, Infiniti's, and MBs over the years. As soon as you run into trouble, they turn the cheek and will do as a little as possible.

One thing I want to warn you about is this. Infiniti and MB has even worse dealership and corporate customer service then Acura has. Infiniti makes some of the nicest looking and problem free products I ever had but their customer service was ten times worse then Acura. Most of the times, they do not even return your phone calls or letter you send in. They don't even follow-up to see if your problems or issues have been resolved and the dealerships think that they can BS you around because they know that Infiniti corporate will do nothing to help you. Nissan and Infiniti have a terrible regional rep system set up.

You have a problem or issue with your Nissan or Infiniti and you take it in to the dealership and they give you the BS and run around that they can't hear or duplicate the problem, which is an outright lie. They then tell you to call Infiniti consumer affairs who tell you that they can't do anything because the dealership says nothing is wrong and you have to speak to your regional rep. You speak to your regional rep who knows absolutely no technical or technological information about your car, will not even come to your home or local area to meet with you about the car, and tells you that you have to take your problem back to the dealership who knows more then them about the cars. You go back to your local dealer and the cycle repeats and starts again!

At least with Acura, they at least try to help and respond back, though, as you find out, in the end, ACS gets nothing accomplished. To be honest, in regards to the luxury divisions, Lexus, Acura, and BMW are rated the highest for customer service. Here is a great link from JD Power and Assoc about 2010 customer service rankings. Scroll all the way to the bottom and you'll see that Infiniti and Nissan are near the bottom of the industry for customer service and I found out the hard way a few weeks ago. I got a phone call from Nissan Consumer Affairs, the first time they ever had, after contacting them about a problem with my 2010 Maxima. I suggested some improvments to be made so that future model years don't have this problem and the bitch from NCA's says to me that it's against their policy to accept or pass along customer suggestions for product improvement to their design and engineering departments. Can you believe that BS??? That will be the last time I ever get a Nissan or Infiniti when they treat a customer like that and basically say over the phone that they don't believe me that their is a problem.

As you have found out, even the top companies treat you like dirt. Once you give them the money, they want nothing to do with you and will do as little as possible to help you out when things go bad. Its an unfortunate truth about the car industry that they really don't care, and unless there is a TSB or recall on something, they will not admit or will do as little as possible to fix the problem and just send you on your way.

Just a quick FYI. I have a 2008 TL. At 10k miles, I was having a power steering fluid leak because when I turned the car on you would hear like a chainsaw like noise coming from the engine component. I kept loosing fluid and brought it into my two local Acura dealers and they said they couldn't find a leak and kept refilling my fluid and sending me on my way knowning I was leaking fluid somewhere. It took until the fifth visit into a second local Acura dealer, and two letters/phone calls to ACS that I got ACS to pressure the Acura dealer to keep my car and fully examine the damn thing. They finally found the leak after 4 days in the steering gear box. It had to be replaced and suffice it to say that a year later I have had no problem with the power steering fluid anymore.

Luckily for me, my problem was more straight forward then yours, and I had a V6 TSX/Nav loaner each time the car was in. But the incompetence of both my local Acura dealer service advisors, technicians, and managers was astounding considering they could not find a leak yet, as I said to them, my power steering fluid just doesn't magicially disappaer. But it wasn't unitl I got ACS involved and threatened legal action that they got their act together. If I were you, I would threaten legal action to anyone from Acura you speak with.

Luckily for me, I'm leasing this 08 TL, but after the leak and problems with rattles I don't know if I'm going to keep the car, despite the fact that I really love it and how it drives/looks, but I don't even know if I'll stay with Acura. I'm still disappointed about how my local Acura dealers treated me like I was making it up and sent me on my way with leaking power steering fluid. Isn't that a serious safety concern? I'm lucky I didn't have the steering cut out and die!

I had the power steering cut out on a old Chevy I had back in the early 90's and it was not pleasant of fun. Luckily I was only doing about 10-15mph when it happen and I was able to drift off the road and crash into the curb. Any faster and I would have been dead.

Sorry for the long rant, but I understand where you are coming from with safety concerns and the frustration and disappointment that a top company like Acura gives to customers who have a problem with one of their products!

Also, I've found that many Acura service department personel, and some from ACS are so arrogant and dishonest about Acura products, that because they are rated so highly as a company with reliability, that if any of their cars have a problem when practically brand new, like you and I did, they find it very hard to believe and I think feel that we the customer are making it up. Trust me, you and I have better things to do with our time then make stuff like this up.

Best of Luck to You Graphic!

P.S.- Though Infiniti's customer service sucks, their products are really nice and the G37 Sedan is a great handling car, far better than the current TL! The BMW 3 and 5 series are great as well, along with the Audi A4 sedan!! If you get a German car though, don't get a lot of expensive technology and navigation with them, since most of the reliability problems with them stem from those expensive tech stuff that goes out at 5-6 years old!

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2010021
Old 04-13-2010, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

3) Refund

Unfortunately, and you found out the hard way, their was a tremendous amount of problems with the transmissions on the 2007 and 2008 Camry's, especially the ones with the V6 engine!

You are right on the money with Nissan and Infiniti. I have a 2005 FX35 and 2010 Maxima SV, and while I really like their styling and luxury features, Nissan and Infiniti definitely has the worst customer service of all the Japanese companies. Graphic has no idea how bad they are compared to Acura. If he thinks Acura was bad he would have blown a gasket with Infiniti if the same thing happened. Half the time, I don't even get a return phone call or letter when I leave a message with ICA or NCA, whereas, with Acura, if I had a problem, I couldn't even get them off my back. They constantly called to see how things were going and if they needed to call the local dealer and get things moving. I never ever had that with Infiniti and especially not Nissan. They sit back just basically saying that there is no problem with the car according to the dealership and they are not going to do anything and their regional reps never come out to see anything.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

In case any of you missed it, here again is the link you all should check out from JD Power about the 2010 Customer Service results for the entire luxury and mainstream car industry!!!

http://businesscenter.jdpower.com/ne...spx?ID=2010021
Old 04-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

You just nailed it!!!!!!!
Graphic, something I forgot to ask you. The dealer offered to give you a replacement but the regional rep, who did not know you were listening, basically said F you to you because he wanted to get his bonus from Acura and would not agree to the replacement.

I think that this is totally unacceptable. Did you at any time speak to ACS, at least a supervisor at ACS about what this a#$hole regional rep said as to the reason why he would not agree to the replacement? Also, did you ever see if the GM at the dealership would call ACS and report this regional rep for what I feel is inappropriate behavior to a customer?

If anything, I would at least report the shitty regional reps attitude and explantion to consumer reports or your consumer affairs department in Indiana, better business bureau, or some other consumer regulatory agency.

I mean it be different if he gave a legitamte reason why he wouldn't go along with the replacment, because it seems like the GM at your local dealership was willing to help you out and work with you, which is half the battle, but just could not get Acura to go along with it. But the explanation given by the regional rep just seem extremely inappropriate and quite frankly poor customer service.
Old 04-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts
I will find a car, a car company, and a dealership who appreciates my business, and is worthy of my money.
YAY FORD!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Outnumbered at home

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup, brought it to Acura twice, 2 transmissions later, I got it replaced 2 more times by outside parties. 4 transmissions total. Never got reimbursed for any of my out of pocket expenses.
Wow surprising, I thought most of the transmission problems happened later in the cars life. Mine started acting up with 50k or so on the dial.

In your case, as in Graphics, I would have wanted a new car if by brand new 30k purchase (in your case) didn't work as advertised and could be considered unsafe.

Not unreasonable.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by smarty666
Graphic, something I forgot to ask you. The dealer offered to give you a replacement but the regional rep, who did not know you were listening, basically said F you to you because he wanted to get his bonus from Acura and would not agree to the replacement.

I think that this is totally unacceptable. Did you at any time speak to ACS, at least a supervisor at ACS about what this a#$hole regional rep said as to the reason why he would not agree to the replacement? Also, did you ever see if the GM at the dealership would call ACS and report this regional rep for what I feel is inappropriate behavior to a customer?

If anything, I would at least report the shitty regional reps attitude and explantion to consumer reports or your consumer affairs department in Indiana, better business bureau, or some other consumer regulatory agency.

I mean it be different if he gave a legitamte reason why he wouldn't go along with the replacment, because it seems like the GM at your local dealership was willing to help you out and work with you, which is half the battle, but just could not get Acura to go along with it. But the explanation given by the regional rep just seem extremely inappropriate and quite frankly poor customer service.
smarty....essentially yes. The dealership's General Manager said he thought I (or we) should just do a car swap. Matter of fact, he actually went so far as to look through his inventory to see what else I'd be willing to accept since I got his last (and only) CBP with Taupe interior. Barring that combo, I was willing to accept CBP w/umber. He had a WDP with Taupe I would have accepted, too.

That search came to a screeching halt when the Acura Regional Rep basically said, as you put it, "fudge you".

I really don't have a huge beef with my dealer. Short of taking in the shorts (as I am now), he was willing to go to bat for me. I guess the thing that irritated me was the fact that everybody said the right words at the dealership. But, in the end, no one did anything about my situation.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

smarty....essentially yes. The dealership's General Manager said he thought I (or we) should just do a car swap. Matter of fact, he actually went so far as to look through his inventory to see what else I'd be willing to accept since I got his last (and only) CBP with Taupe interior. Barring that combo, I was willing to accept CBP w/umber. He had a WDP with Taupe I would have accepted, too.

That search came to a screeching halt when the Acura Regional Rep basically said, as you put it, "fudge you".

I really don't have a huge beef with my dealer. Short of taking in the shorts (as I am now), he was willing to go to bat for me. I guess the thing that irritated me was the fact that everybody said the right words at the dealership. But, in the end, no one did anything about my situation.
It is just such a shame that had a GM that was going to work with you and then came upon a a@#hole regional rep who put up a brick wall. What a shame.

Just remember what I said about Nissan/Infiniti. Great products, but terrible customer service. You think you had it bad with Acura, you don't even want to see how those scumbags will treat you if you have a problem! They'll most likely ignore you, pretend you don't have a problem, or will just not return your phone calls at all, even after consistent nagging!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by smarty666
It is just such a shame that had a GM that was going to work with you and then came upon a a@#hole regional rep who put up a brick wall. What a shame.

Just remember what I said about Nissan/Infiniti. Great products, but terrible customer service. You think you had it bad with Acura, you don't even want to see how those scumbags will treat you if you have a problem! They'll most likely ignore you, pretend you don't have a problem, or will just not return your phone calls at all, even after consistent nagging!
Thanks, smarty. At this point, I'm not asking for much....just a car that I have confidence in. I can't even take it to another dealership's service dept, as I'm going to get the same Acura answers.

If I can get something like a G that is problem free, I'd be happy. As long as I don't have to interface with Infiniti over these types of issues, I'd be ecstatic.

Clearly Acura isn't going to be that car right now. Still, the G was my 2nd choice when I was shopping. To have to pay more for the privilege of just getting a new car I can trust really doesn't sit well with me. But, it would be worth it. Just a shame I'm the one who has to take it in the shorts to get that.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:56 PM
Pro

I was also thinking last night, my TL has been in the shop for a week already. Being in the shop 30 days triggers lemon law. So, we've all got little things that aren't quite up to snuff. Just off the top of my head, I could take in back for each of these maladies, one at a time to trigger lemon law...
I like your thinking on this...but I'm pretty sure in most states the car has to be out of service for 30 days for the same issue - not a variety of issues. Either that, or 3 attempts to fix one problem. I had an Audi A4 that was out for a total of 3 months due to failed coil packs. I tried my best to lemon it, but lost because each time it was a different coil that failed - not the same coil.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:37 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BG74
I like your thinking on this...but I'm pretty sure in most states the car has to be out of service for 30 days for the same issue - not a variety of issues. Either that, or 3 attempts to fix one problem. I had an Audi A4 that was out for a total of 3 months due to failed coil packs. I tried my best to lemon it, but lost because each time it was a different coil that failed - not the same coil.
Yeah....unless I can prove it's a safety issue (which it certainly was for me), then they get one shot. It fails for a safety issue again (which could lead to an accident, injury, or worse), it's considered a Lemon....at least in my state.

Funny, I was just thinking earlier, when I bought the car, I got no less than 3 phone calls from different people at the dealership wanting to make sure I was happy. When they were trying to sell the car, I got phone calls every day (from the sales person) wanting to know what they could do to make me happy enough to make a deal.

Once they found out I was unhappy, those phone calls trying to find out if they could make my happy, or if I was happy, became non-existent, or at least as rare as a hetero priest (I'm Catholic....I'm allowed to say that).
Old 04-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Instructor

I sure would enjoy hearing Acura's side of this story. Being the owner of two 2010 Acura's it would be nice to know how they stand. I buy new cars every 2 to 3 years and if this is the new attitude they have I really may not want to be a owner of their brand.

With that said I was once a loyal Chevrolet owner. I had a couple of bad cars in a row that Chevrolet could have cared less about so I took my money to a company I thought was much better than them. I had one car that leaked oil so bad that you had to put a pan under the car to catch the oil. This went on for a year until the Mechanic told me to drive it until it blew up so he could get it fixed and get it off his rack. For some funny reason after being turned down over and over again for a replacement engine the car went out for a test drive after a mechanic fixed it and the engine happened to blow up. All the oil had leaked out during the test drive. I wonder how that happened? GM then had to replace the engine and the car was perfect after that. The bottom line here is GM could have cared less about me. They put me through 12 months of hell and I put up with it. If I had it to do over again I would have traded that piece of crap in and gone on with my life with a lesson learned and after the next car was a piece of crap I made a vow to never buy a GM again and that has been about 12 cars ago. So people really do move on after they have enough with a dealer or brand.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Cruisin'

Chairman and
Representative DirectorPresident and
Representative DirectorExecutive Vice President and
Representative Director Satoshi AokiTakanobu ItoKoichi Kondoback row: Senior Managing DirectorAkio HamadaMikio YoshimiAtsuyoshi HyogoShigeru TakagiTetsuo IwamuraChairman and
Representative DirectorPresident and
Representative DirectorExecutive Vice President and
Representative Director Satoshi AokiTakanobu ItoKoichi Kondoback row: Senior Managing DirectorAkio HamadaMikio YoshimiAtsuyoshi HyogoShigeru TakagiTetsuo Iwamuragraphicguy,

My dad taught me to go to the top when you are dissatisfied. I was always amazed at the reaction he received when he would pen a letter to the CEO of major companies. He is an everyday joe that would respectfully complain to the head honcho, which sometimes resulted in some pretty cool responses. Try to google american honda board of directors, and you will find all sorts of names to become penpals with!

I just watched the honda dreams video where they talk of failure being the key to success. if they were living this notion, they would take your car back to the engineers to learn from their failure to make sure it did not happen again. OR they shoudl take your experience and recognize it as a faulure of customer service to learn how to never do that again to build the most loyal customer on earth.

good luck!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:20 PM
eg5
user title goes here

is that all your dealer pointed out, possible fuel pump failure?
Old 04-14-2010, 12:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
GraphicGuy,

I don't know if this will make a difference or even help you, but I own a 2007 Type S that had only 600 miles on it because the original owner bought the car and turned it back in to Acura 2 months later.....because he didn't like the paint job! Now, how he made Acura "eat the car", I don't know.

I do know that he turned around and bought a 2008 Type S and paid the difference. But if he got Acura to take a car back for something so trivial as a paint job, it makes no sense to me why they won't work with you more about one of their cars that almost caused you to have a very bad accident.

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City. Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 04-14-2010, 01:11 AM
2009 TL SH-AWD Tech

Seriously, I believe you should consult a lawyer with your case and let a lawyer to handle this. Especially when most lawyer won't charge you until you case is settled and they just take a portion off from what you claimed from Acura.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:58 AM
Advanced

Ya know GG? I've never had anywhere near the experience you have.

FWIW, I'm behind you 100%.

Maybe the answer lies somewhere in between what you want and what Acura is willing to do, but that would require them being open and honest with you and they obviously haven't nearly gotten there. I somehow think, reading your messages, that had they at least done that, you might be willing to at least consider something in the middle (although I'm not sure you need to).

The upshot is that it's sill on them. They still have the car and while I know it appears it isn't going to work... I do think you owe it to yourself to give it a bit more time. They have your car and you've told them it's still not right after their repair. You have a little time before the lemon law kicks in (a few weeks).

Hang in there... I still have faith that something will work out, but I can understand your position, and frankly *I* wouldn't take that car back either.

D.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:55 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
sounds like what happened to me a few years ago-not an acura-brand new car- less than 100 miles-transmission locked in 2nd (automatic transmission) We drove it slowly to the dealer (50 mile drive). Long story shortened=had the transmission replaced.
additional info: The car was a 2003 Hyundai Sonata-We were a bit more lucky-we were only going about 30MPH when the transmission locked up-we were told if we were driving highway speeds and the transmission locked up-the engine would most likely cease. Thanks to modern technology, the service tech plugs your car into a computer which shows error codes. They then replace that part. Our car would be fine for a short time and the same thing would happen again.(total of 5 times) We got Hyundai corporation involved-they sent a representive to the dealer. The transmission was then replaced
I have to say the dealer was excellent=they did go out there way to try to solve the problem-If fact we have since bought numerous cars from them including my 06 tsx.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:35 AM
Pro

Believe me, I appreciate the support and letting me rant to the AZ community.

Steven....the point I made to the dealership GM during one of our conversations, I wasn't expecting a new car because I didn't like the seats, or the color, or something trivial. It's a safety issue (which the service people have argued, it really isn't....it's a part failure...no more, no less).

Getting a new car because of color? Man, that's one hell of a good dealership. While, as I pointed out, the dealership is coming across has being on my side, I'm not so certain that they care all that much about this, regardless of what they say.

They say they wouldn't put their own family in the car, but that's been lip service so far. They also claim they're at the mercy of Acura. Really? If my car is worth $34K as it sits as a trade-in, let's say it's worth $36K if they fixed it for good and put it on the lot. Let's even say it "only" sells for $35K.

Invoice is $40,159, less the holdback of about $800, less the $2250 Acura cash=$37,109. Add in about $300+ I've spent out of pocket, and that's a $2,500 spread (maybe less) to put me in a new car to replace my new TL. On their end, it's not worth $2,100 to make me a happy customer? Then, instead of having me frustrated and fighting with Acura, they can go after them for that money.

To me, that makes sense. But, they've only talked, with nothing in the way of actions. Short of a phone call or two to the jerkoff Regional Rep, that's all that they've done.

To answer another question.....yes, the service manager said it was "only" a fuel pump that was replaced. However, on the service order, it shows that he tested something regarding the electronics, which also failed. It's shows part codes, but I don't know what those mean. But, it jives with what he told me originally. He'd never seen a fuel pump fail on a new Acura in the 20 years he'd worked for the dealership. And, that they only replaced the part (fuel pump) that Acura authorized.

To my knowledge, the Acura Regional Rep has never seen, nor driven my new TL. Further, there are somethings the dealership personnel said that don't add up. The dealership said they had test driven my new TL extensively after the new fuel pump went in. Yet, the odo had the same mileage on it as it did when it was dropped off from the tow company.

In short, they didn't test it. They slapped in the new part, got it running again, and washed their hands of it.

Dealership says they're only a sales and service agent for Acura. As I told them, they're the only face, name, and voice who represents Acura. As such, they have to bear some responsibility instead of just talking the talk without walking the walk.

The financial hit is too much for me to stomach to go to another brand. I've decided to continue this fight.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Suzuka Master

So what was wrong? The fuel pump failed? Do you have the car back? What's the status on the car itself?
Old 04-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Instructor

The good thing is that eventually it will get taken care of one way or another... Unfortunately your just going to have to deal with Acura's & the dealers BS in the meantime.

It is defiantly in your best interest to wait it out and see if you can lemon law it as that will be the cheapest route for you.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by kingofire
...retain a lawyer like I said before.
Although I am an Acura fan who really enjoys his TL, I have to say that if I were the original poster, I would probably go ahead and talk to a lawyer.

We have to be careful because we are only hearing graphicguy's side of the story, and while nobody's thinking for an instant that he's not relating things accurately, it would be interesting to hear from the two other sides involved (Acura dealer and Acura corporate rep.).

If I were graphicguy, I would go ahead and approach a lawyer and see if he is interested in taking up this case since an adequate communication seems to be a problem.

I have to say, too, that if I were the general manager of the dealership involved, I might be tempted to call the Acura regional again and say that I really felt that under the circumstances that an outright exchange of vehicles would be warranted. If they're so sure that they have fixed the problem with the original car, then they should have no problem unloading it in the $32K - $34K range and substantially mitigating the costs involved.

I do not understand any of this. It doesn't make any sense to me.

I picked up my own car at a time that I should not have done it. I was on somebody else's dime and I didn't really have the time to listen to the salesman or the sales manager, and I was blatantly hurrying them along and hurrying along the finance manager. (Luckily we had the financing straight already.)

I didn't have time to listen, and no time to look at any manuals at all.

I arrived someplace I was supposed to be, and to this day I have no idea what I did wrong, but somehow or another I managed to leave the car with the HID still on, and I don't know what setting I tripped while I was playing with it but the lights stayed on while I went into a building to work for an extended period.

I come out around 9:00PM and the battery is dead. I don't know that it is my fault because I've walked away from the car with the headlights on, thinking that they're going to go off on their own.

Around this time, the poor salesman calls me to see if everything's okay.

Well, it's not. LOL....

He hangs up and I hear from the sales manager, who verifies what is wrong.

He hangs up and despite the fact that by now it's nigh on 9:30PM, I hear from the service manager who instructs my people on the scene to make sure they know how to safely jump the vehicle, and he makes sure that I'm going to be on a drive long enough to charge a discharged battery.

When the car goes in for its first service appointment, the sales manager goes out of his way to make sure the problem never reoccurred, and the service manager asks about it to make sure it's not something weird like a bad battery.

When somebody else experiences this kind of above-and-beyond service, I have to believe that there's just something very wrong with what is happening with graphicguy.

There's got to be some kind of monumental miscommunication and they're just not getting through to Regional that this is a problem that is affecting a long time customer's appreciation of the marque.

It's time for them to get off their hind parts and behave a little more seriously before this becomes an Internet phenomenon that touches on the reputation of the marque generally.

Something's just wrong.

Somebody needs to tell the dealership that it is time to throw their full weight behind the recommendation for a replacement, or they need to provide absolutely definitive information that would lead a reasonable person to believe that they have found and corrected the problem.

Some of the personalities posting in this thread are people not entirely unknown to AHM, and graphicguy might want to take the time to point the dealership and Regional to this thread before the thread comes to the attention of the only real contact that we have, which is an Executive Vice President.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Pro

So what was wrong? The fuel pump failed? Do you have the car back? What's the status on the car itself?
While the service ticket doesn't tell what caused the failure (except that it says "crank, no start"), it does say they replaced what seems to be the fuel pump. Tested but inoperative according to the ticket were a 39794-SDA-A03 and a 17045-TK5-A10. Both failed whatever test they did on whatever parts those are. One is listed cryptically as a "power relay assmbly". The other failed part is even more cryptic called a "fuel pump mod". While I don't know exactly what those items are, I have to assume they are pieces/parts that somehow affect the fuel pump itself, but not replaced.

In short, they only replaced one part according to the ticket...a 170-TK5-A10, which I'll assume is a fuel pump.

So, they addressed the symptom, but not the cause. No mention of it shutting down from highway speeds. No mention of the lack of "idiot lights" lighting up during the failure.

No matter. I'm way beyond the cause/fix part of this whole fiasco. Also on the ticket was a handwritten note stating "called PB". I'm also assuming that "PB" is the regional rep. I know his first name is "Paul".

So, even the service manager was looking to do something that he needed authorization from the Acura Regional Rep.

I'm feeling like Sherlock Holmes. Trying to piece things together. There are definitely some gaps that either the Servcice Dept, and/or Acura aren't willing to share.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Suzuka Master

17045-TK5-A10 is the fuel pump, and 39794-SDA-A03 is a relay. That relay is actually used all over the car for various items. The relay not working could be a result of the fuel pump not working. It may have not needed to be replaced.

In short, they replaced your fuel pump.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
(Oops, CleanCL snuck in there. )

Maybe post a copy of your workorder here (with the personal info blanked out) as there are a lot of knowledgeable people who may be able to decipher their cryptic messages and what they did?
Old 04-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

just for general knowledge. It does sound as if the GM at least tried to do the right thing. As for your service dept, not so much.

I too am following this closely. As you all can see I have two 2010's worth some $90k+ with Acura.

To show how your dealership should have been handling this situation for you let me tell you all my story.

1st case***
In just under two weeks of ownership of the 10' TL, I started experiencing a low frequency vibration (I drive 600 miles per week). I continued to drive it, documenting everything from speed, to temperature, tire pressure etc. Finally at 1600 miles I took it into my dealership and showed them the data I had and went on a test drive with both the Svc Mgr and Tech. (Note* I always write down my mileage when I hand the keys over) Both were able to feel and hear the vibration. I was immediately put into a brand new TL SH-AWD Tech loaner and sent on my way. During the next 8 days (included weekend) that they had the vehicle I received no less than 2 updates per day from the Svc Mgr and at least 2 per day from the Tech.
Needless to say I never felt as though I was being taken advantage of. I was kept in the loop until the final diagnosis and resulting multiple test drives showed that the problem was solved by replacing the entire drive shaft (propeller shaft). I was called and told to come and get my car. Upon arrival the car had been detailed and the tech insisted on going for another test drive with me to be sure that he had resolved the issue. NOTE** they had put over 120 miles on the car in resolving the issue and they had topped off the gas so that I was not out the fuel***

2nd case***
ZDX for the wife also purchased brand new. After just 6 days of driving an airbag system fault showed up. Took it into my dealer and received the exact same treatment as I had for my TL. She was immediately put into a brand new 10' MDX Tech and sent on her way. After being in the shop for 9 days (including weekend) with at minimum one phone call per day from the Svc Mgr keeping me abreast of the situation, the problem was finally resolved by replacing the entire drivers side airbag system from front to rear, which of course as you all know meant tearing the interior apart. Once again the Svc Mgr and Tech went above and beyond to successfully resolve this issue with me.

Fast forward two weeks later. Battery mgmt system starts throwing a code. Take it back in, again same treatment, new MDX as a loaner and Svc Mgr and Tech bending over backwards to resolve issue as quick as possible. 6 days (including the weekend) in the shop with multiple calls to Acura Tech by the Tech, (as the codes would come back after about 4hrs), it was found to be a faulty battery which was shown to me. Codes were cleared as per Acura Tech line.

Second time and another 5 days (including the weekend) in the shop with multiple calls to Acura Tech line, he was told to diagnose in other areas, bla bla bla. No issues were found per Tech line and the vehicle was returned.

Third time and yet another 8 days (including the weekend) in the shop with multiple calls to Acura Tech line, he was told that it was a sensor causing the issue and to replace the sensor. Picked the ZDX up last friday and took it back in yesterday for the 4th time as the system fault returned Monday morning.

So I am now on the fourth time in the shop for the same issue with no resolution. Will hopefully get it resolved for good this time. The ZDX will now have spent the better part of 4 weeks in the shop in only 8 weeks of ownership. I am beyond disappointed by this.

However, the moral of this rather long story is that with all of the issues experienced on two expensive brand new vehicles within the first three weeks of ownership, my dealerships Owner, GM, Svc Mgr, Svc Writer and Tech have been nothing short of AMAZING in their handling of the situations with their concern and willingness to go the extra mile (coming out to her work with the loaner in order to pick up the ZDX) etc.
They are in constant contact with me daily with at min one phone call each from the Svc Mgr and Tech. The GM also stays in contact with me making sure that his dealership is doing all that they can do to make this unfortunate experience as pleasant as possible. I also receive at least two follow up calls a few days later to see how the repair is holding up......WOW

In short Graphic...... Put the screws to them as I personally feel that you are being treated rather unfairly by this whole mess. FWIW, I asked my dealership how they would handle a hypothetical situation (read yours). They without hesitation said they would do what ever it took to make sure that I was reimbursed for the $300 tow. This is the true mark of a dealership that cares about its customers and the image that they project to the community.

nuff said... good luck with your vehicle... Please see this through to the end.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:04 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
As I've followed this saga, I keep wondering if this thread is providing a disservice to GGuy.

If Acura officials do indeed have this URL and happen to be reading (or at least know of its existence), they know that this story has reached hundreds, if not thousands of Acura enthusiasts (at 5,639 views as of this writing).

So power in the people, right? Bad taste for Acura, no?

Well, the opposite of that can be true as well...in other words, at this point, they have to remain strong otherwise it sets the precedent that if a "part" malfunctions on a vehicle, then they'll give in and replace the vehicle (which no company can afford to set such a precedent).

I understand GGuy's circumstance and I agree with his frustrations and disgust with the product/brand, but it does set the precedent, "Hey I gotta problem with my brand-new TL. Answer - Well GraphicGuy got his replaced, maybe you can too."

I dunno, maybe not...but the logic is there and obviously nothing can be done about this thread at this point...
Old 04-14-2010, 11:15 AM
Pro

17045-TK5-A10 is the fuel pump, and 39794-SDA-A03 is a relay. That relay is actually used all over the car for various items. The relay not working could be a result of the fuel pump not working. It may have not needed to be replaced.

In short, they replaced your fuel pump.
CleanCL....maybe yes, maybe no. But, it did say that the "relay" test failed. And, that they didn't replace it. Sounds like an expensive part if it controls more than just the fuel pump. And, also makes me believe even more strongly that they addressed the symptom, but didn't fix the cause.

Again, I'm past what could, or couldn't be the cause. They need to talke this car back and totally test everything. I'm not their guinea pig. Nor am I a tester for them to see if something fails again. (as they've stated they want me to do).

Last edited by graphicguy; 04-14-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:30 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Complicated situation. In wanting a new car it's a constant struggle of dealer against corporate. The person who could authorize it is a jerk and was probably pissed off over the phone conversation thing so a slim chance went to none. Acura could help it along with the money and costs but the dealer could also eat it alone and probably still make money, worse case not lose.

Someone mentioned a swap from a paint issue and believe it or not that probably can warrant one over this being that this is actually only a faulty part replacement and there was no harm done so no foul. It probably comes down to what holds up better in court or a judges ruling. It sounds messed up but it might have been better if it caused an accident and you could prove it. I am not saying it's fair but it is what it is.

With a paint defect or something of that nature the vehicle is in sense defective, in most cases requires respray or at least is already devalued because of the issue so when you require dollar compensation it can be applied to a dealer swap and it makes financial sense to all parties, unfortunately Acura believes the car is fixed and functional and even if the rep came to check it out that would be in his report so it doesn't warrant a swap or buy back, going by the book. It would take what they call a good will gesture and is something they might be pressured into with a hungry lawyer on your side as other have suggested.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 04-14-2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:32 AM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

^^^You might actually have a point there....

Graphic, what I failed to say in my extremely long post above is that while I agree that you NEED to be reimbursed for the tow etc, I do feel that you should just keep taking it back to them for the problem at hand until it is fixed to your satisfaction. While I personally do not think it warrants a replacement vehicle at this point, they do need to be given the opportunity to fix it right (even though it would appear that they are either unwilling to fully diagnose the problem correctly or are just incompetent). As long as they keep you in a loaner, let them keep it.

Your situation definitely sucks and you were lucky to escape uninjured and we here are all glad that you did. However, your dealership and Acura's handling of your situation is very suspect as evidenced by my story above and the huge difference in how we are being treated by our dealerships.

Let them continue to work on and "fix" your TL until it is done to your satisfaction, in the meantime, continue to drive their loaner and put the miles on it and not yours. Although you are making payments on a car you are not able to drive right now, you are able to drive a "like" vehicle in the meantime with no added miles or wear and tear to your own

Good luck in whichever direction you decide to go (staying with Acura or moving on) and know that ultimately the only thing that matters is your own piece of mind and what you are willing to spend in order to have it

Last edited by TLNV; 04-14-2010 at 11:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Nightmare Acura TL experience....*UPDATE pg 7* Superior Acura of Fairfield ROCKS!