Nightmare Acura TL experience....*UPDATE pg 7* Superior Acura of Fairfield ROCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
Or,...

#3....it isn't the fuel pump, but the same thing happens again. Only this time, I'm not so lucky and I do end up in a serious accident, with others.

This isn't just a fuel pump issue. As I think back, there have been times when shifting from P do D that it would take a second for it to go into gear. I'm thinking it's a combination of problems....maybe coincidental....maybe not.
Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I would consider looking into the lemon law documents you received with your car. However, not to set you expectations too high, most Lemon Laws are worded to insure that the company has an opportunity to repair the vehicle before they replace it.

Also, on a side note, I think you are being unrealistic in your expectation of a diagnosis of the issue, it has after all, only been a day. In a situation where things could get litigious, I'm not surprised that your sales consultant might be 'bowing' out of the conversation. This is already 'above his pay grade'
Old 04-05-2010, 07:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Or,...

#3....it isn't the fuel pump, but the same thing happens again. Only this time, I'm not so lucky and I do end up in a serious accident, with others.

But this is exactly my point. It doesn't matter what the part or system is - Fuel Pump, Tranny, Electronics, or any of a dozen others. The logic applies to any part or system.

If there are a LOT of bad parts out there, you might get one REGARDLESS of whether it's a new car or a repair.

If this is a one-off isolated incident, then you'll be fine REGARDLESS of whether it's a new car or a repair.

And that's probably how Acura will see it. The real issue will be whether the dealership/Acura can correctly diagnose and repair the car the FIRST time. This is where your concern should be.

And I agree with the earlier poster, from what you've wrote, you've handled the dealership really well - firm, but professional.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dopes6070
i honestly think at this point you should let them try to fix it, or at least wait till they know what the issue is before saying you want a new car. I know you are upset about the whole situation but chances are once it’s fixed you wont have another issue. Lemon law usually requires having the same problem 3 times within a certain period of time so you won’t get any help there.

just try to be patient while they figure it out.
a+
Old 04-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Man, sorry to hear about this, but glad you're OK. I'd feel sick about it if it were my brand new car. My mileage is about the same as yours right now.

Your situation sounds a lot like the facts described in one of the links posted where a piece of the cam fractured. But the dealer needs to dig into it to find out what it is. These are complicated cars and systems and it may take some time to come to a 100% certain diagnosis. Until then, all you can do is stay on them, make sure they take care of you with a loaner, etc. and whatever else you need. You would think that the computer would have thrown some codes to give them a clue; the ABS thing is very strange.

Good luck. I really hope it all works out well for you. (I wouldn't worry about that $300 towing bill - I'd be astounded if Acura didn't make good on that).
Old 04-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Dopes6070
I honestly think at this point you should let them try to fix it, or at least wait till they know what the issue is before saying you want a new car. I know you are upset about the whole situation but chances are once it’s fixed you wont have another issue. Lemon law usually requires having the same problem 3 times within a certain period of time so you won’t get any help there.

Just try to be patient while they figure it out.
Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
Not that you want to hear it right now, but you need to just take a deep breath. As bad as it seems, you will get it taken care of one way or another. Right now the fear of the unknown is what is making you nuts, and it has to suck. If anyone in the dealership was in the car with you, they would've experienced it like you did, and be just as freaked out by the whole thing...but they weren't. It sounds like you're handling them pretty well, but you have to realize that they can not let it be as big of a deal as you are. If they let on that it is a big deal, you will have control. Stay cool with them, and when someone doesn't give you the answer you want, calmly ask for their supervisor. If their supervisor can't help then ask for his/hers. Don't back down until you get what you want but always show respect. Remember it will just take time.
Sorry man.

I agree. I realize you are frustrated but You need to take a step back, relax and catch your breath. First off you shouldnt be talking to your sales guy. You need to be talking to the service manager. 2nd. Its monday. Its typically a busy day for shops. Tracking down issues isnt always as easy as oh here is the code this is your problem. I know it sucks and you want answers, but sometimes it takes a little time. See how tomorrow goes and see what they come up with. As for wanting a new car because of this, isnt something you should expect nor is it realistic.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 PM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
BTW....as some recommended, I called Acura Customer Care. They're a lot more empathetic.....and frankly, quite shocked about the chain of events, including the response from TLC yesterday. I've got a case # and a case supervisor who's overseeing this. They're going to talk to the service manager tomorrow and are supposed to call me back tomorrow afternoon.

If the service manager tells them the same thing he told me (forgot to mention that he said it could also be the "stall switch (?)" on the trans), I think my request will be more palatable.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:48 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
With the 4th gen. being so new, I wouldn't be surprised to see bugs.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
BTW....as some recommended, I called Acura Customer Care. They're a lot more empathetic.....and frankly, quite shocked about the chain of events, including the response from TLC yesterday. I've got a case # and a case supervisor who's overseeing this. They're going to talk to the service manager tomorrow and are supposed to call me back tomorrow afternoon.

If the service manager tells them the same thing he told me (forgot to mention that he said it could also be the "stall switch (?)" on the trans), I think my request will be more palatable.
Acura is very good like that, in fact excellent. It's the dealers and things that are conducted on the dealer level that can give them a bad name. Also TLC is at the mercy of third pary tow companies and local emergency service vehicles. So while it is Acura related, it's not Acura themselves getting a tow or taxi out to you. You did the right thing and will find Acura client services is genuine, persistent and thorough.

What others are saying could be true, you might get a better dealer and service reputation within other brands but try calling their corporate offices to report a problem or issue and see the kind of response you get.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 04-05-2010 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:23 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
it's good to hear this is moving forward.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
off topic but related, I thought I read some where that they would pay for lodging and food if the car was XX miles away from home? Hope things work out for you.

I had a 2004 Acura TL with the crappy bridgestone tauranza EL42's and we had a ton of rain that spring and I happened to hydroplane. Went to the dealer to complain about it and they shrugged me off like it was no big deal. I had never hydroplaned in my life before and when it happened I missed clipping the car in the next lane and I truly feared that it could have been worse. I was having this conversation with a buddy of mine who happened to be a lawyer and he gave me this smirk that he'd take care of it for me. Next day I get a call from Acura and the dealership, both profusely apologizing about the incident and to promptly go to the dealer and pick any tire no matter what the cost and would mount and balance under warranty. All my friend did was send a letter with his letter head that I had retained his services and that I had complained to the dealer that I "feared" this incident would occur again if driven on the same tires and that the dealer had no disregard for my safety or livelihood by shrugging it off as a isolated incident.

When it comes to my well being and my loved ones, even though no harm was done, I don't take it lightly. Neither should you or anybody else. If they tell you that they fixed the problem and say all checks out, tell them to put it IN WRITING that it won't happen again. No company in their right mind would put that in writing and this will also be a leveraging point for you. Good Luck buddy.

Last edited by kingofire; 04-06-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Hapa DC5
it's good to hear this is moving forward.
We're getting there. I understand the dealership's position. IF they just swapped out the car for me, they would take the entire brunt of the financial loss. They didn't build the car. They just service and sell them.

To do what I'm asking would have to come from Acura corporate. If they are as concerned as they're acting, I would think that they'd want this car back to find out what caused such a major breakdown, on what appears to be many parts/systems in the car, simultaneously.

I'm not asking for my money back (although I am being asked to be reimbursed for my out of pocket....which does include meals, tow, and whatever else). I'm convinced, and my dealer's service manager seems to think there's something that caused the total breakdown which is above and beyond what a code reader tells them.

I'm not a mechanic. But, I've worked on enough cars, and have more than just a basic understanding of them, to know this isn't a simple part swap. This isn't something that's a simple tune up, tire swap, or fuel pump replacement (which should be a major job if the fuel pump is in the gas tank, like most are). In addition, this is a new car.

Acura "TLC" knew the lemon laws in my state (OH). They even mentioned it before I did. The question is, is it a safety issue (which I say it is)? IF it is, then they only get one chance to fix it. My contention is, if they aren't sure of the fix, and it happens again, I may not be so lucky....and could suffer an accident, or worse. Then, they'd have a much bigger problem on their hands. It would certainly be cheaper to swap cars with me.

It's not like I don't like the car. Hell, I shopped for months for it. And, was pleased as punch with it before the "incident". I even liked the deal I got on it.

As I mentioned to TLC, they can do a manufacturer buyback. Tear it apart. Find out for sure what happened. GIve me another car, and move on. If not, they can fight with me, alienate a person who's bought 4 Honda products (2 of them Acuras), and lose me as a customer forever.

The Service Manager has already called me this a.m. to tell me that Acura has already been in touch with him (via my call to Customer Relations). All I asked was for him to tell them the same thing he told me. That is, it could be any of a number of issues, and that he wasn't sure what the absolute fix is. And, that in 20 years of servicing Acuras, he'd never seen this issue before.

I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Its monday. Its typically a busy day for shops.
I understand your point, but there is a triage procedure that ought to have pushed this issue onto the service manager's desk. Although we are only hearing one person's point of view about this, I am beginning to suspect that the general manager will get involved and that the dealership will probably regret not handling things slightly differently.

For one thing, it seems to me that in the dealerships with which I am familiar, unless there is a personal relationship involved, the salesman would have collared the sales manager and he'd have got the service manager more involved more quickly.

Any comments like mine should be taken with a grain of salt because all we can do is express ourselves and sympathise, and (with all respect to the original poster) the complainant might have sounded like a raving lunatic on the phone for all we know. :-) Meaning no offence, but sometimes perspective is everything.

I don't think it should matter that it was a Monday, and I don't think it should matter than he originally contacted the salesman. The training module directs the salesman to grab the sales manager so that someone of equal rank can grab the service manager for clarification.

BTW....as some recommended, I called Acura Customer Care. They're a lot more empathetic.....and frankly, quite shocked about the chain of events, including the response from TLC yesterday.
I think that most of us were very surprised and very sorry about the chain of events as you related them, and I hope that things are elevated to a level at which someone will at least be giving you some better answers.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:36 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Good going. I think the Toyota situation may help you in this case. Not that this situation would warrant it at all, but the last thing HMC would want is an irrational response from anyone. You saw what happened with the Toyota bugs, it brought the whackos' out of the wood work...false claims of safety issues to get attention or even to get out of car payments. I think you will get everything taken care of the right way. Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I understand your point, but there is a triage procedure that ought to have pushed this issue onto the service manager's desk. Although we are only hearing one person's point of view about this, I am beginning to suspect that the general manager will get involved and that the dealership will probably regret not handling things slightly differently.

For one thing, it seems to me that in the dealerships with which I am familiar, unless there is a personal relationship involved, the salesman would have collared the sales manager and he'd have got the service manager more involved more quickly.

Any comments like mine should be taken with a grain of salt because all we can do is express ourselves and sympathise, and (with all respect to the original poster) the complainant might have sounded like a raving lunatic on the phone for all we know. :-) Meaning no offence, but sometimes perspective is everything.

I don't think it should matter that it was a Monday, and I don't think it should matter than he originally contacted the salesman. The training module directs the salesman to grab the sales manager so that someone of equal rank can grab the service manager for clarification.

I think that most of us were very surprised and very sorry about the chain of events as you related them, and I hope that things are elevated to a level at which someone will at least be giving you some better answers.
George....raging lunatic? Not quite, but not far off, either. I was pissed, and scared (have settled down quite a bit) when I left voice mails on Easter Sunday. I'm generally pretty affable. It takes a lot to get me mad, or even scared. My incident did both.

I'm not trying to crucify the dealership, their personnel, nor TLC. Personally, whether it's a Sunday, a Monday, Valentine's Day, whatever....TLC touts that they're there for us 24/7/365. While it's nice to have a company who'll help you out if you have a flat tire, or run out of gas. This is the kind of situation when you need them most..... I was stuck in the middle of nowhere, after a very harrowing experience, in a NEW TL with a catastrophic failure. Could TLC have handled it better? Yep. They went part of the way to help me.....they got a tow service (actually, something I could have done myself).

The whole rental car thing I kind of understand. It was Easter Sunday. Even if it wasn't, there's not many rental agencies who will come out to somewhere on the interstate, in the boonies, to rent a car to anyone. However, having a taxi waiting for me at the dealership after the tow would have been nice. Either they couldn't, or wouldn't do that for me, given I called them again after I was left off at the dealership. It was a nice day. It was a long hike home, but I'm no worse for the wear. If it was raining, I probably wouldn't be so cavalier about my 5 mile hike, though.

Plus, I'm still waiting for my tow bill reimbursement. In my mind, the dealership should have cut a check for me yesterday. They have the receipt. I gave it to them personally. I did interrupt my hike home to grab a bite to eat at a restaurant on Easter Sunday (by myself...which is sad). I was near home, so I doubt they'll cover that.

Regarding the dealership's response? They knew I was mad based on my voice mails. You can handle that one of two ways. You can pretend that you "didn't get the messages", which is what they did. That only exacerbated an already bad situation yesterday, making it worse. Or, they could have at least acknowledged my predicament. It would have taken just a 10 minute phone call. Yeah, they would have had to listen to my rant. But, just knowing they were on top of things with a phone call would have gone a long way to making me more amenable.

Further, I'm fortunate that I have a home office. If I had to miss a day of work, or if I had to get to the airport early (since I travel a lot), or if I used my car for work in any way, that would have really been a big issue.

TLC is supposed to get back to me today. My guess is, they're going to tell me they're going to keep the car and try to diagnose the problem and fix it. If they can effectively diagnose the problem (which I don't think the dealership can). They'll feel that since I have a loaner, I should be happy.

I'm hoping they'll surprise me. Tell me they're going to do a car swap because they truly want to know what happened and want the car back to do so.

In either event, I won't be driving that car ever again. It's up to them whether they want to keep me as a customer, or not.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sometimes a betting man and I'm willing to bet it is a fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. Any takers?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know exactly how you feel, and the lack of confidence you have in your car now. When I found out mine had broken welds in the frame, I was dissapointed / angry / annoyed -- You name it. I felt slighted and thought I wasn't going to get anywhere. And that I'd be stuck with a car I didn't trust.

Ultimately, Acura did the right thing and gave me a new 2010 as a replacement for my 2009. For any kind of issue where your personal safety is involved, I would bet 9 times out of 10, you'll end up in a new car. Just have to be patient.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Intermediate

Your experience sounds eerily familiar. I had an issue very similar to your issue last summer with my 09. It was new with only 1000k on it when driving down the highway it stopped running very suddenly and without warning. Left me stranded by the side of the road but could have been deadly if it had happened on a multi lane highway.

Long story short it turned out the problem was a cam pulley that came apart causing the timing belt to slip. The valves then slammed into the pistons and caused further dmage to the engine internals.

I told Acura that I would only be happy with a new car, not one with 1000k's on it that had serious internal repairs. They relented and I got a new TL same as the previous one. No grief with the new one.

Let me know how the diagnosis turns out on your car. With mine they tested the fuel, looked at plugs, wires, coils. The finally got around to timing and the problem was found with the cam pulley.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by BigWopHH
I know exactly how you feel, and the lack of confidence you have in your car now. When I found out mine had broken welds in the frame, I was dissapointed / angry / annoyed -- You name it. I felt slighted and thought I wasn't going to get anywhere. And that I'd be stuck with a car I didn't trust.

Ultimately, Acura did the right thing and gave me a new 2010 as a replacement for my 2009. For any kind of issue where your personal safety is involved, I would bet 9 times out of 10, you'll end up in a new car. Just have to be patient.
Big....I remember your situation. I think you actually filed for lemon law and Acura finally (after a lot of fighting) did the right thing.

AJAX.....your situation sounds almost identical to mine. They're looking in the wrong place. However, as these things go, it's going to have to play out. While it may be rare, there's something that has caused not only my situation, but yours, too.

And, that's only from the folks who post here. Who knows if there are others out there faced with the same problems?

If they don't replace the TL, Acura loses a customer. No future Honda or Acura purchases. No service work. And, poor word of mouth.

As they say, it's easier and cheaper to keep a customer than it is to find new ones. We'll see. I'm going to try to get my tow bill paid for by the dealership/Acura tonight.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:08 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
In the interest of public safety, you aslo have the option of filing a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA). If warrented, they will perform an investigation.

This is not necessarily to help you push Acura toward a resolution you find favorable, but instead a way to provide defect information that may result in saving the lives of others. Given the recent Toyota events, a situation such as yours may be more likely to get attention.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
Old 04-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by btomcik
I'm sometimes a betting man and I'm willing to bet it is a fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter. Any takers?
Anything is possible but i would be surprised if its the fuel pump. Usually when a fuel pump or anything electrical in the timing system etc goes you lose all engine power almost immediately. Listening to the OP it sounds like there was still engine power when he got to the side of the road and then stalled once the RPM range got to low. IMO it sounds like the timing belt slipped and this would also prevent it from starting later. The TL engine isnt a "free running" engine when this happens though. So if it did happen there would be bent valves etc and this would easily be seen by checking the compression........"graphicguy" did they mention anything about checking the compression when doing their tests??

If they don't replace the TL, Acura loses a customer. No future Honda or Acura purchases. No service work. And, poor word of mouth.

As they say, it's easier and cheaper to keep a customer than it is to find new ones. We'll see. I'm going to try to get my tow bill paid for by the dealership/Acura tonight.
If its something major like "Ajax" issue then i could see them replacing your car as most manufactures would consider it. If it is something simple like a fuel pump though etc, i would be very surprised if they did.

Its nice to see that Acura corporate is finally addressing your concerns though. Hopefully they will compensate you for what they should have done in the first place. Its always easier for any company to make ends better after the fact but at least it seems now that they are trying at both levels.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
The TL engine isnt a "free running" engine
pssst... it's called "interference" type engine
Old 04-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad that you are ok and very sorry to hear about your ordeal. Hang in there

Old 04-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I hope that TLC listen carefully to everything you are saying, and that they consider making some tweaks to the system to make things a little smoother for anybody else in the future.

The tip about the taxi waiting for you somewhere is a good one, and in most parts of the USA that would be a definite possibility. I don't understand why nobody's thought of that before.

Sunday + Easter: I would have even less sympathy than you have. Anything to do with service is tough...but people elect to be in service because they love the people (supposedly) enough to serve them.

And speaking as someone who has to keep approximately 450 people working regardless of what holiday it is, what day of the week it is and what weather it is, I think that everybody needs to stop and consider than in the worst case scenario, when the customer needs TLC the very most, it is likely they will be doing the very worst job.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by cp3117
Anything is possible but i would be surprised if its the fuel pump. Usually when a fuel pump or anything electrical in the timing system etc goes you lose all engine power almost immediately. Listening to the OP it sounds like there was still engine power when he got to the side of the road and then stalled once the RPM range got to low. IMO it sounds like the timing belt slipped and this would also prevent it from starting later. The TL engine isnt a "free running" engine when this happens though. So if it did happen there would be bent valves etc and this would easily be seen by checking the compression........"graphicguy" did they mention anything about checking the compression when doing their tests??

If its something major like "Ajax" issue then i could see them replacing your car as most manufactures would consider it. If it is something simple like a fuel pump though etc, i would be very surprised if they did.

Its nice to see that Acura corporate is finally addressing your concerns though. Hopefully they will compensate you for what they should have done in the first place. Its always easier for any company to make ends better after the fact but at least it seems now that they are trying at both levels.

cp....I don't know if they've checked the compression. Good question to ask them, though.

Just came from the dealership. Essentially, they state that the tow bill is between me and Acura TLC and they have no recourse. Customer Service with Acura is still investigating. TLC, I guess I'm dealing with them on the tow charges.

So far, to get reimbursed (if I can get reimbursed) I have to do it through TLC. Dealership service says that the only repair they can do is what they'll get paid for (which right now is for a fuel pump, which the Service Manager says he's never seen a problem with in over 20 years). Don't know if any sort of "other" entity from Acura can authorize more investigation, though.

CP, you're also right, that the motor didn't actually stop until I got to the side berm and RPM dropped to the point where it stalled, unable to restart. I"m thinking timing belt, as you point out. But, that should be a pretty easy diagnosis. Either the service dept is inept. Or, they're not going to do anything that Acura won't authorize them to do via warranty.

In short, no one, with the exception of Customer Service, is actually doing anything. Dealer service is waiting on parts, which may not fix it.

In the meantime, I'm chasing a couple of different Acura entities trying to get reimbursed and get a determination.

Man, am I thinking I've made a huge, and very costly mistake with the 4G. Anybody know the name and address of the Acura North American President?
Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sadly, this is precisely the Acura response to the failed tranny of the 2G TL/CL back in 2004. I was on the phone with Client Services so many times about my 2002 CL-S .. complained to my dealer .. and all I ever heard back was 'there's not report of this type of behavior' or 'this is the first time I've ever heard of this'. Come to find out the problem was ballooning into a huge issue and Acura was trying to keep it all hush hush.

What I learned from that mess, Acura Client Services isn't worth the time on the phone unless you are simply scheduling a service appointment (the case number means nothing). The district manager only knows the corporate line (which means, he knows nothing as far as you are concerned). The service manager will be tight lipped as he must tow the company line in order for the dealership to get reimbursed for any service work. And your dealer will turn into a secretary.

I really hope your problem is an isolated one .. but you'll never know for sure because Acura will stay tight lipped until some newspaper breaks a major failure story.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:20 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Dopes6070
I honestly think at this point you should let them try to fix it, or at least wait till they know what the issue is before saying you want a new car. I know you are upset about the whole situation but chances are once it’s fixed you wont have another issue. Lemon law usually requires having the same problem 3 times within a certain period of time so you won’t get any help there.

Just try to be patient while they figure it out.
I agree
Read the lemon law book that came with the car-They are procedures you have to follow which include giving the dealer 3 times to correct the problem etc. You usually just do not get a new car without doing that
Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 PM
Pro

Well...going from bad to worse. Just spoke with TLC. They WILL NOT reimburse me for the tow since I didn't take it to the nearest Acura dealer. Cost would have been the same. But, it doesn't matter. They nailed me on a technicality.

If I would have had it towed to the nearest Acura dealership, I wouldn't have had anyway home. I guess I could have made them put me up for the night, as they state they will. Just my luck, the tow mileage would have been 99.9 miles (instead of the 100 miles stipulated in the brochure) and I would have had to cover that, too.

Nobody wants to take responsibility for anything except me and my ~$40,000 check to Acura.

This truly is turning into a nightmare.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
Glad you and the other drivers around you avoided an accident.

As others have mentioned, as difficult as it is, your best course of action is to take a deep breath, work with TLC for a reimbursement, and let the dealership diagnose your problem. They're professionals - give them space to diagnose the cause - if Acura-certified technicians can't find the problem, then it's obviously not an easy fix.

You mentioned that Acura provided you a loaner, so you're okay transportation-wise (a TL SH-AWD to boot). So drive on their dime and wait for a proper diagnosis.

And before you swear off Acura, remember every manufacturer has these kinds of cases. Not even bulletproof Toyota is immune.

Just spoke with TLC. They WILL NOT reimburse me for the tow since I didn't take it to the nearest Acura dealer. Cost would have been the same. But, it doesn't matter. They nailed me on a technicality.
Saw this after my post...now this I would raise he!! about...that's ridiculous...

Last edited by Type34; 04-06-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^ Just to clarify, are you using "TLC" and "Acura Client Services" interchangeably? I would seek the tow reimbursement from Acura directly.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
I'd say it's time to call the NHTSA. It appears there are other similar cases and you are quite lucky to have gotten out without a scratch, especially on the freeway.

You can also call a local paper or television station if they report on these types of cases to be on the consumers side. They should be covering your tow and then some.

Goodluck bud.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
2009 TL SH-AWD Tech

OK.....I've gushed about my few week old TL SH AWD. But, have to report the bad with the good. This is going to be kind of lengthy.

I've had my TL for going on 4 weeks. I've got about 900 miles on the odo. Was gentle on it for the first 600 miles. Never took it above 3,500 rpms. But, once I hit 600 miles, I started to open it up a bit. Not harsh. But, did 2-3 short jaunts on the interstate. Started to take it up to about 80 MPH, max, but only for a mile or two. Mostly in town driving where my right foot was sedate.

So, I'm headed to my Sister's for Easter yesterday. She lives about 150 miles from me just west of Indianapolis (I live in SW OH). Hit the interstate. Set the cruise at 70 MPH (first time I used it) speed limit. Get about 100 miles from home, and all of a sudden if feels like somebody threw a boat anchor out of the trunk. RPMs drop to 1,200. My ABS light comes on. I go from about 70 MPH to 20 MPH in a few seconds. No one was tailgating me. But, there was a semi behind me and I hear tires lock up. At first I thought it was me. Glance in the rearview and I see this semi has locked up his brakes and his trailer is starting to weave a bit side to side. He's barreling down headed for my ass end.

I was in the left lane, but slowly start to drift, across 3 lanes of traffic, to the right, as there was no berm on my left. Plus, I wanted to get out of the way of the semi. Cars are swerving, honking, plenty of middle fingers out people's windows.

I pull over and get the TL to stop on the right berm. The semi seems to be following me across lanes of traffic. He finally stops on the right berm about 100 feet in front of me. He jumps out of his cab yelling at me that I almost caused a wreck that could have killed people.

I'm sitting in the driver's seat, catching my breath. Finally get out face-to-face with the semi driver, and meekly tell him what happened. He settles down a bit. He says he didn't see any brake lights. He went on to say he was pacing along, all of a sudden he's coming up on me fast, but my deceleration was so sudden, and with no brake lights, he had no idea what was going on. He said he couldn't go left or right either with traffic wizzing by and no left berm to use. I make sure he's OK. He settles down enough to say he can "CB" someone for help. I tell him I've got a cell phone. He gets back into his semi and motors away, scared but OK.

First thing I'm thinking, did I hit the start button by accident? I try to restart. If feels like it's trying to start, but just keeps whirring the starter motor without catching. I look at the gauges. Filled up before I left. so plenty of gas. No overheating. Can't smell anything amiss. Battery is good. Lift the hood, plug wires are secure. Nothing smells or looks amiss.

Try to start it again......no dice.....the starter button just keeps the starter whirring with no start. I shut everything down.

I dig into the owner's package in the glove box. Find the "Total Acura Care" brochure and call them. Tell them what happened. They go through rudimentary questions...."are you hurt? Do you need 911 service? What's wrong with the car (hell, I don't know what's wrong)?" Finally, they said they'll call a tow service for me. Nearest Acura dealer is in Indy, about 75 miles away. My selling dealer is 100 miles away.

They're supposed to get me a rental car, too. However, it's Easter. I'm in the middle of nowhere. They hook me up with Enterprise, who tells me know way they'll come out to "pick me up" (as their advertisements state). I call Avis, Hertz.....no way any of them are coming to get me.

Call my sister. She says she'll come to get me. But, Acura Care says I must stay with the car to have it towed. I tell my sister not to bother until the tow truck gets there.

90 minutes later, traffic whizzing by, the tow truck shows up. I tell him my predicament. He tries to start the car. No luck. He states that I must accompany the car. OK, my Easter's shot. But, where to take it? 75 miles to Indy? Or, 100 miles to my dealer. How much is covered from Acura. He said it's a $300 tow job either way, and that I'd have to get reimbursed by Acura. I decide to get at least close to home and tell him to take it to my selling dealer. Nice guy. We've got a two hour ride together with my TL flat bedded. He says most of the towing he does isn't on junkers, but with brand new cars.

We get the TL to the dealership. I give him my credit card. He's off back home after unloading the TL.

I'm now stuck at the dealership. All of my friends are home with family for Easter. So, not bothering them, I hoof it back home on foot, about 5 miles away. Thought about calling a taxi, but geez, I'm already in the hole for $300. I just go for a nice, long walk.

OK.....what to do. I have no idea what's wrong with my car. Right now, I'm pretty pissed. It's a few weeks old. I've tinted it and installed a clear bra. So, I'm already out about $1,000 if I raise hell with the dealership to give me another car. That is, if I fight with them to give me a new car. However, the damned car is brand new. And, I almost got crushed by a semi. Plus, Easter with family was ruined (at least for me).

Consensus? How would you fine folks handle this?
There are two things that surprise me for you experience with the roadside assistance.

First, why do you need to pay the towing guy?

The reason I called Acura roadside assistance last time was because I was hit by someone from the rear on the highway (car did not stall, but I have no idea how bad the damage was at that time, so I don't want to take the risk and keep driving)

The lady from the roadside assistance told me Acura would pay the towing fee for me as this is my first time to request a tow. The tow guy also confirmed this and said his company would billed Acura directly.

Second, why would Acura tow your car to the dealership during a long weekend?

When my car was towed, it was a weekend and at late night, all dealers were closed. So the tow guy towed my car to his garage, which Acura agrees. The reason my car was towed to the towing company's garage, according to Acura Roadside assistance, was due to no one was on duty at the dealership, and if my car was stolen at the dealership, no one would be responsible for that.

For your walk back to home, it happened to me as well, the tow guy dropped me off to one of the tim hortons near his garage. I was like at sixty KM away from home (approximately, no idea where the hell I was when I was hit on the high way.) Acura didn't offer me a ride either, and I finally end up calling my friend to pick me up and drive me home (with all the groceries I just got from walmart!!!)

I believe Acura does offer you accommodation and/or transportation if you are certain km away from home, but I couldn't find this info on Acura Canada's website. (better check the guide when I have time later)

Do they have different policy in Canada and in the states?

But please keep us update for your car, so that we all know what went wrong and we could take pre-caution action. Thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 12:04 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Hhmmmm

Sorry about all your troubles. i bought an 06 TL brand new once, and the damn things brakes failed 2 days later... and again 2 years later (nearly killing me)

In my opinion... i am thinking

1) Fuel Pump... cut off fuel to the engine, it slowed down, then wouldnt start

2) "Limp Mode" Acuras go into a "Safe Mode" that will only allow you to go 20-30 mph MAX (i think 2nd/3rd gear tops) and all the lights come on... its designed to at least allow you to drive to the dealership...

However, with Limp Mode, I am pretty sure your car will start again

3) Battery/Alternator . Acuras are beyond notorious for shit batteries.... maybe you had a bad battery, or a bad alternator, that didnt charge the battery on your long drive.... battery went beyond dead, triggered all the systems to shut down (ABS/VSA lights, Check engine, etc...) and then the car wouldnt start again

4) Last, but not least... ECU... but i highly doubt that...
Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 AM
Eli
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Hhmmmm

Sorry about all your troubles. i bought an 06 TL brand new once, and the damn things brakes failed 2 days later... and again 2 years later (nearly killing me)

2) "Limp Mode" Acuras go into a "Safe Mode" that will only allow you to go 20-30 mph MAX (i think 2nd/3rd gear tops) and all the lights come on... its designed to at least allow you to drive to the dealership...

3) Battery/Alternator . Acuras are beyond notorious for shit batteries.... maybe you had a bad battery, or a bad alternator, that didnt charge the battery on your long drive.... battery went beyond dead, triggered all the systems to shut down (ABS/VSA lights, Check engine, etc...) and then the car wouldnt start again

From his story it decelerated really fast almost causing an accident, like slamming on the brakes, it doesn't sound like the engine simply lost power.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Pro

Couple of clarifications......I'm talking to TLC for tow reimbursement, which isn't coming. TLC states they will reimburse for a tow to the nearest Acura dealer if you're 100 miles from home. I was, or at least pretty close. The problem with that, I'm stuck in a different state, in a different city. The issue was, how do I get back home after having my TL dropped off at the nearest dealership? Seeing as this is taking awhile to fix, I don't know if a dealership I'm not familiar with is going to give me a loaner to get home. And, if they did, I could not have secured one until Monday.

Tow service said they got a call from TLC. I was pretty far away from ANY Acura dealership (according to the tow driver).....~75 miles from the closest one, ~100 miles from my selling dealer. He said either way, it was a $300 charge.

Looking at the receipt, he's from Greenwood, IN. I have no idea where that is. Given I was in the middle of nowhere, and that it took 90 minutes for him to reach me, I'll assume he was pretty far away from either dealership. I'm also making an assumption that there were other tow services who may have been closer, one way or the other, who wouldn't agree to the tow because it was Easter Sunday. This statement is from my tow truck driver.

I'm also dealing with Customer Services. Those calls are separate from the ones I've made to TLC. I'm talking to them about my ordeal, and what, if any, agreeable resolutions may or may not happen for me.

In short, at this juncture, no one's doing anything. TLC has already rejected tow reimbursement since the car wasn't towed to the nearest Acura dealer for the reasons I pointed out above.

Acura Client Services are allegedly doing an "investigation" (of what, I'm not sure....they have all sides to the story). I'm also dealing with the dealer service dept, who's only going by what the "service book" tells them to do, and what they're being reimbursed for.

Hope that clears some of this up.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
Hhmmmm

Blackura....could be a fuel pump. But, I'm betting there's more to it than that. My dealer's service manager said in 20 years of being in service with my Acura dealer, he'd NEVER seen a fuel pump go bad in a new Acura. Even if that was the true cause, a bad fuel pump will cause the car to buck, surge, backfire, etc before shutting down. In my case, the car just shut down...no bucking, no surging, no "coughing". It ran at 1,200 RPM until I got it to the berm, where the car totally shut down and wouldn't restart. However, there was no smell of gas, which would be another sign that the fuel pump failed.

I'm thinking timing belt, and/or ECU, maybe even a trans issue as some say it sounds similar.

I think the battery is fine. It cranked the motor when I was trying to restart. Other electricals? No spark? Possibly.

I don't think I was in "limp mode" as the car went from 70 MPH to 20 MPH in the snap of a finger, until it stalled out, and wouldn't restart.

I'm not an ASE mechanic. However, I've worked on enough cars in my lifetime as a shade tree mechanic (I've actually helped rebuild a few engines in my time) to know that this isn't a simple fuel pump failure.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by AcuraElement
I'd say it's time to call the NHTSA. It appears there are other similar cases and you are quite lucky to have gotten out without a scratch, especially on the freeway.

You can also call a local paper or television station if they report on these types of cases to be on the consumers side. They should be covering your tow and then some.

Goodluck bud.
Thanks, man! Good idea about NHTSA or local media contact!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:57 AM
I am a bullet proof tiger

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the receipt, he's from Greenwood, IN. I have no idea where that is. Given I was in the middle of nowhere, and that it took 90 minutes for him to reach me, I'll assume he was pretty far away from either dealership. I'm also making an assumption that there were other tow services who may have been closer, one way or the other, who wouldn't agree to the tow because it was Easter Sunday.
I was actually raised in Greenwood, IN. Its on the southside of Indy and there is an acura dealership there. In fact my dad's neighbor is the GM at that dealership. Bill is his name, not sure if this helps at all. best of luck
Old 04-07-2010, 09:33 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by buckvegas
I was actually raised in Greenwood, IN. Its on the southside of Indy and there is an acura dealership there. In fact my dad's neighbor is the GM at that dealership. Bill is his name, not sure if this helps at all. best of luck

Buck....didn't know that. The tow driver said the nearest Acura dealership was 75 miles away. Maybe he meant that it was 75 miles from the location where my car stopped.

I actually liked the tow driver. We had plenty of time to talk. He said he owned the tow service. He said most tow services wouldn't have let me ride back with him because of liability issues....and that there were plenty of "scammers" out there who call for tow services and then rob the tow driver in the process.

TLC told me that I was REQUIRED to stay with the car waiting for the tow, and during the tow. He said he would have picked it up without me being there, though (as if I had a way to go anywhere).

He went on to tell me that some tow services wouldn't have actually answered the call on a holiday.

A good portion of his business comes from hauling "collectible" and luxury cars since he has flatbeds in his fleet. From talking to him, he also owns a garage of some sort.

Not that it matters, but he stopped to get a couple of sodas for the ride up and back. I popped for them ($4.....I'm such a big spender).

Last edited by graphicguy; 04-07-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
7th Gear

Thumbs up

This thread reads like a great novel. I can't wait to hear how the story ends... and if the hero gets the girl or if the villain dies. In the meantime, I will keep reading this, chapter by chapter. Good luck graphic guy!
Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts

Yep, keep us updated graphicguy...it sounds like you've calmed down a bit (understandably upset though), so that should help your cause...

And guys, seriously, stop trying to figure out the cause of the problem...unless there's an Acura-certified tech on here??

Quick Reply: Nightmare Acura TL experience....*UPDATE pg 7* Superior Acura of Fairfield ROCKS!