Nightmare Acura TL experience....*UPDATE pg 7* Superior Acura of Fairfield ROCKS!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by NJ SHAWD
There is a political fine line we walk with our dealers. On the one hand it would be easy for me to tell the contractor that we really took care of them, but doing so would make the dealer look bad for lying. No manufacturer wants to risk making the dealer look bad.
I hear ya. I think in this case, the dealer truly didn't know what was wrong with the vehicle and are handling it in-house. It sounds like they did an even swap and are going to drive the original "broken" TL as a dealer demo / sales mgr car. Once the problem is fixed, they can simply sell it as a dealer demo, no harm, no foul.

So in the long run, this decision made the most sense - you have a brand new sale (GGuy's original $40K), a dealer demo sale (dealers carry demo cars anyway, so this is nothing out of the ordinary), and a happy customer.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Type34
It sounds like they did an even swap and are going to drive the original "broken" TL as a dealer demo / sales mgr car. Once the problem is fixed, they can simply sell it as a dealer demo, no harm, no foul.
Actually it has been titled so they will have to sell it as used.

Last edited by TLNV; 04-16-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
^^and dealer demos and service loaners are under a special program from Acura.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:16 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TLNV
^^^^
He sure did whoot!
I assume that was from the dealership and not corporate. Yes?
Old 04-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^ yes.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GG,
Congratulations on your new TL. Enjoy it for many, many years to come.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:14 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by graphicguy
I guess if I really wanted to be prickly about it, I could have demanded a CBP with taupe. But, I was OK with WDP. I've had a bunch of black cars. I like them. This is a nice change of pace for me.
Since you've had a lot of Black cars... you'll find that the lighter the color the less it'll show dirt. You'll get away with washing it less frequently.

D.
Old 04-17-2010, 07:18 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taketwo
do you have an email for superior? It would all be fun if we sent them emails thanking them for doing the right thing.
++1
Old 04-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
I will try to get some pics up. I don't have a separate pic account with any of the hosting services though. I assume you need a pic hosting site to post pics here?

It's breezy today around here. But, was hoping to do a proper Zaino job on it. 60 degrees is marginal, but I'm going to try anyway.

At least scotchguard my carpet today.
Old 04-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can we get sum pic
Old 04-17-2010, 03:10 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

I will try to get some pics up. I don't have a separate pic account with any of the hosting services though. I assume you need a pic hosting site to post pics here?

It's breezy today around here. But, was hoping to do a proper Zaino job on it. 60 degrees is marginal, but I'm going to try anyway.

At least scotchguard my carpet today.
used PHOTOBUCKET ITS EASY
Old 04-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Advanced

Wow, that is great GG! And what a small world - I know that dealer well! GG, I assume they're still up on Rte 4 by Jungle Jim's? I bought a new Acura Integra GSR from them back in 1995 when I was still living in Cincinnati (lived there for 11 years)! I even remember my sales guy's name, though I know he has long since left there to relocate to Seattle. I remember I was shopping that dealer vs Montgomery back in the day and Montgomery could not touch the discounts of Superior. Its nice to hear they came through for you! Tell them John Frentsos (my sales guy at the time) would be proud! I'll actually be driving through that area next week on my biannual trip to the Dragon...lookin forward to my Montgomery Inn Ribs fix!

Once again, glad it all worked out in the end GG!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:32 PM
eg5
user title goes here

wow, ive said it before and ill say it again, if you want anything done in this country, complain your ass off.
im happy you got what you wanted, op.
to all the posters here bashing acura's corporate, well give 'em back, plain and simple turn in those acura keys.
im sure corporate has thousands of "complaints" every day and surely ,gg, you understand its hard to address one area when theres thousands of "problems" that need attention. thats how the business works. lets say you did die or you were actually hurt, not imotional distress b/s, your case would have generated some buzz at their offices.
place yourself in their shoes, guy is ALMOST hurt in a traffic accident, brings car to dealer, THIS HERE IS WHAT IS KNOWN AS AN INTERMITTENT PROBLEM, now customer is unhappy with dealer/car and wants a new one. intermittent problems cannot and usually are not duplicated by techs under their testing periods. sometimes its that special high driveway that causes that all so anoying but familiar rattle.
correct me if im wrong.
plain and simple im sure the corporate guys were laughing in their comfy chairs at your letters phone calls etc.
kudos to the dealership that took you in, make sure and contact the local media to cover this ordeal. well, only good thatll come from this is increased traffic through that dealership.
and to your dealership that took you in the first time, im sure they couldve diagnosed the vehicle a bit better.fuel pump give me a break.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:00 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
I am pretty happy that Acura took care of you, and kept another satisfied customer in a 4G
Old 04-18-2010, 01:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
GG, I'm so glad to hear what the owner did for you. I restores your faith in dealerships and owners!

National Acura Meet-June 6th/Kansas City. Click here for details and to sign up!

Old 04-18-2010, 06:50 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BLACKURA_NY
I am pretty happy that Acura took care of you, and kept another satisfied customer in a 4G
Just a small point. Acura (corporate Acura) did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for this guy. Nothing as in dick squat. Fuckers wouldn't even pony up his tow fee. It was all the dealership. Acura showed itself to be utterly and completely WORTHLESS throughout this entire saga.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by HiroY
Wow, that is great GG! And what a small world - I know that dealer well! GG, I assume they're still up on Rte 4 by Jungle Jim's? I bought a new Acura Integra GSR from them back in 1995 when I was still living in Cincinnati (lived there for 11 years)! I even remember my sales guy's name, though I know he has long since left there to relocate to Seattle. I remember I was shopping that dealer vs Montgomery back in the day and Montgomery could not touch the discounts of Superior. Its nice to hear they came through for you! Tell them John Frentsos (my sales guy at the time) would be proud! I'll actually be driving through that area next week on my biannual trip to the Dragon...lookin forward to my Montgomery Inn Ribs fix!

Once again, glad it all worked out in the end GG!
Same place.

The place on Montgomery Rd is Columbia Acura. I liked them. But, I live in Butler County, which, while not a long drive for me, is about 3x the distance away from me than Superior. Superior is about a 10 minute drive for me. Columbia is a 30 minute drive. They compete HARD with each other as they're the only two Acura dealers in the area.

One of the ways I judge a dealership is by how much turnover they have in their sales staff. Both dealerships have long tenured sales people and management. You don't find that in many dealerships.

During this whole ordeal, I've obviously had the opportunity to spend some time with their people other than my sales person (who's always been great)....the sales manager and the General Manager, who I've spent a lot of time with. Everybody associated with the dealership, from the owner on down are great.

I mentioned my sales person has been there for 10 years. He's one of their top sales people. He's got awards galore. Up until this point, he'd been the only person I'd dealt with in my TL purchases.

I have a newly found understanding on what it means to have a good dealer, other than one who just gives you a good price.

ACS still wants to talk to me (after they said they'd closed my case....which they have reopened). I'll talk to them tomorrow to see what they want.

I'll do business with them again.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Pro

Old 04-18-2010, 08:17 AM
Pro

Old 04-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Pro

Old 04-18-2010, 08:42 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
glad the saga is over
Old 04-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Looks like you have the black chrome grill too, or is it just the light? Looks like they got plates on it really fast too!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Pro

Looks like you have the black chrome grill too, or is it just the light? Looks like they got plates on it really fast too!
NJ.....that's the black chrome grill and tail piece. I like the look.

Probably shouldn't say this, but those tags aren't "legal". They're registered to another car. I need to get them transferred. Trying to save a buck since those tags need to be renewed next month, anyway.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Back From The dead

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
Wait...after everything you went through, your going to risk having your car impounded for driving unregistered with illegal plates? Why wouldn't they give you temp tags on this car?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:43 PM
Pro

Wait...after everything you went through, your going to risk having your car impounded for driving unregistered with illegal plates? Why wouldn't they give you temp tags on this car?
Tags will be taken care of next week. They don't impound around here for wrong tags. They might ticket me. But, usually you get a warning first. Can you tell I've done this before?
Old 04-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Im Broke But Im Ok

congrat........im glad this shit is over with..i was gettin upset an it wasnt even happen to me..lol
Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Gguy- very nice looking WDP. I like that color with the optional grill and trunk piece - saw one at my dealer when I picked mine up. The Taupe is sweet too.

Enjoy it. Glad this is over.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good on ya, OP for sticking it out. However, it's sad that it took this long to get restitution and it would still leave a bad taste in my mouth.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the "sports grill" on our white Tl also. Not sure what "black chrome" means. I've heard it referred that way by others. Does it say that on the Acura site somewhere? The photos never seem to show it the same way it looks in person, but to me it looks like just regular chrome (simulated) and doesn't look darkened in anyway when you are standing in front of it
Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Pro

The "chrome grill" and tail piece matches the emblems. Looks like it came "stock".

When doing the title transfer, talking to the GM, he said that March was the best month for TL sales at the dealership.....EVER! He said that April was shaping up to be even better than Mach for sales of the TL.

I think after the economic malaise of the previous year, and the bad winter, there was a lot of pent up demand. While I was there, a guy was taking delivery who traded in his G35 (don't know what year). Another guy was getting his Benz C class (again, don't know the year) appraised for trade on a TL.

So, at least around here, it looks like the TL is taking hold. And, that people are looking at them coming from other brands that are considered competition to the TL.

I should have asked the GM what the mix was for his sales between the base TL and the SH AWD version.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
I have the "sports grill" on our white Tl also. Not sure what "black chrome" means. I've heard it referred that way by others. Does it say that on the Acura site somewhere? The photos never seem to show it the same way it looks in person, but to me it looks like just regular chrome (simulated) and doesn't look darkened in anyway when you are standing in front of it
I think that it was probably a mistake to list it as "Midnight" [sic] Chrome. People make inferences based on that.

In real life, it might appear to be a little darker than the satin finish stock pieces. But in real life, IMHO, it does not appear quite as dark as it appears in many of the pictures that people are taking.

I can't explain it.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by George Knighton
I think that it was probably a mistake to list it as "Midnight" [sic] Chrome. People make inferences based on that.

In real life, it might appear to be a little darker than the satin finish stock pieces. But in real life, IMHO, it does not appear quite as dark as it appears in many of the pictures that people are taking.

I can't explain it.
George....actually I think you explained it perfectly. Hard to really describe.

Also depends on the angle. Straight on, the grill/tail looks darker than the satin finish. But, from the side, it looks like a perfect match to the other badges.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Congrats! Come back from a weekend business trip and find this RESOLVED. Nice! Oh, be sure the keep sticking it ACS until they get on their knees. Don't forget and lose sight of how they treated you before it was resolved!!!!! Do it for the benefit of us future folks who may have to call ACS.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Pro

ACS called today. Much different demeanor than before. My "case worker" said the VP sent them a copy of my letter (and it was SCATHING....particularly against ACS).

Nothing cut in stone, but he said he was looking into offering me a free extended warranty contract. He won't know until he gets "permission".
Old 04-19-2010, 05:06 PM
Thbbbbbbbbbbbt

ACS called today. Much different demeanor than before. My "case worker" said the VP sent them a copy of my letter
Hey ACS should have :surrender in the first place...

Nothing cut in stone, but he said he was looking into offering me a free extended warranty contract. He won't know until he gets "permission".
I wonder how they can afford to do this when they cant afford to cover a $300 tow bill

should be interesting to see how this turns out. Sometimes it pays to go all of the way to the top with a grievance.
Old 04-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder how they can afford to do this when they cant afford to cover a $300 tow bill

should be interesting to see how this turns out. Sometimes it pays to go all of the way to the top with a grievance.
It really does make you scratch your head doesn't it? By the way, nice use of smilies there.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:56 AM
Pro

I don't know if it's my case worker, or ACS overall, but I scratch my head, too. They suffer from a level of incompetence (maybe incontinence, too) that is just inexplicable.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Grandpa

Oh, he'll get permission. It's not like you're going off half cocked, and it's the vehicle's long term reliability that people will worry about now that your issue is so thoroughly documented online.

It's not going to cost them anything to give you the warranty because, let's face it, even after experiencing the problem you had, it's really rather unlikely the car's going to experience any kind of catastrophic failure like that again.

I'd also presume to speculate that either somebody's on the way to have a close look at your original car, or negotiations are underway to put it back into the hands of the technician-analysts.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 AM
Grandpa

I don't know if it's my case worker, or ACS overall, but I scratch my head, too. They suffer from a level of incompetence (maybe incontinence, too) that is just inexplicable.
They were definitely out of touch with the reality of your situation, that it was legitimate, and that it severely affected how you felt about the brand.

Nobody stopped to think about the fact that you'd gone on a two mile hike until it got to somebody so non-operationally motivated that he was thinking like a customer.

Happens all the time...in all kinds of companies.

That it happens all the time does not excuse it, of course.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by George Knighton
They were definitely out of touch with the reality of your situation, that it was legitimate, and that it severely affected how you felt about the brand.

Nobody stopped to think about the fact that you'd gone on a two mile hike until it got to somebody so non-operationally motivated that he was thinking like a customer.

Happens all the time...in all kinds of companies.

That it happens all the time does not excuse it, of course.
George...I made it a point to ask ACS whether he was talking about an extended warranty on my "old" new TL, or the one I have now. He said it's the one I have now. He even had my new VIN#. So, somewhere down the line, my dealership told them what they did, and provided them with the VIN#.

Dealership's GM said that Acura offered to give them an extra car to sell. I guess that's something. But, to me, that seems a little big light in the compensation dept.

ACS also said they were talking about warranty extension to 10 years/100K miles. I didn't even know Acura had a bumper-to-bumper warranty that went as long as that.

Personally, I'd rather have a service contract that covers my service charges for the duration of the standard warranty. But, I don't know if that's something a dealership offers, or it's something that Acura offers.

ACS is supposed to get back to me, today.

Quick Reply: Nightmare Acura TL experience....*UPDATE pg 7* Superior Acura of Fairfield ROCKS!