Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by acupower
And yes, it does the quarter mile in 4.9
Meant to say it does 0-60 in 4.9s.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
This, right here...pure trollery. In the same way OP shouldn't be expected to "prove" he owns the cars he has (how did we even start down that road), he certainly can't expect others to prove to him that his choice was not the best one (an impossible task), and then dismiss and diminish the viewpoints of others when they fail to convince him.

This thread is exhausting.[/QUOTE]
This has nothing to do with trolling, this thread did go off topic, but if kept in context the and relative to cars in the same/similar class the last group of cars simply don't belong. They are all smaller, none are consider luxury except for the BMW. If you're just gonna throw out 2 door coupes that are two wheel drive, then I guess we can throw in a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette and anything else I guess.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Brock79
...but if kept in context the and relative to cars in the same/similar class the last group of cars simply don't belong. They are all smaller, none are consider luxury except for the BMW. If you're just gonna throw out 2 door coupes that are two wheel drive, then I guess we can throw in a Mustang, Camaro, Corvette and anything else I guess.

That's the point...it's your opinion. There are many that would deny that the SHO belongs in the "luxury" (I prefer "upscale") class with Acura. You want luxury, then trade up to a Lincoln. That's why they created (or at least, developed) that division.

But even this you will deny...because almost every post you've made in this thread has been entirely dismissive of anything you disagree with. However, in this thread, you're not alone in this.

For this reason, I reiterate, this thread has lost it's value. Nobody is going to convince anyone else that their opinion is wrong. And why would you try?

Unsubscribe.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
My moms VW Jetta TDI has a double clutch gearbox. Pretty cool, it rev matches... that's all I have to say lol.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by andrewcjduong
My moms VW Jetta TDI has a double clutch gearbox. Pretty cool, it rev matches... that's all I have to say lol.
Great technology. And from what I hear it is very reliable. No clutch replacements are needed for the lifetime of the car.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
That's the point...it's your opinion. There are many that would deny that the SHO belongs in the "luxury" (I prefer "upscale") class with Acura. You want luxury, then trade up to a Lincoln. That's why they created (or at least, developed) that division.

But even this you will deny...because almost every post you've made in this thread has been entirely dismissive of anything you disagree with. However, in this thread, you're not alone in this.

For this reason, I reiterate, this thread has lost it's value. Nobody is going to convince anyone else that their opinion is wrong. And why would you try?

Unsubscribe.
If you read an earlier post I did mention the Lincoln MKS, and acknowledged it's the sister car of the SHO. I also mentioned that in normal comparisons between the ford and it's lincoln counterpart, the Lincoln is normally far superior. The SHO is the only exception that Ford/Lincoln has made. The reason for this? I have no idea, but there is literally not a difference between the two except a slight style change on the outside. As before mentioned I have also owned Lincoln's in the past and feel the SHO could very easily have a Lincoln badge on it.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Great technology. And from what I hear it is very reliable. No clutch replacements are needed for the lifetime of the car.
Clutch packs yes, mechatronics units not so much. I read golfmk6.com a lot and it's usually the mechatronics unit in DSGs that cause issues, and usually the whole unit has to be replaced. It's a fantastic transmission though... if I didn't want AWD and a sedan, I'd be looking at a GTI with DSG. The MK7 should be arriving in the U.S. this summer.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, I looked at both these cars recently at the local car show....here's a couple noteworthy (to me anyway) things about the SHO that some people shopping for a new car may care about...

- adjustable pedals - 3" of travel so a 5ft tall wife doesn't have to sit on top of the steering wheel in order for her feet to reach the pedals.
- heated/cooled front seats (which TL also has on the Advance?)
- heated rear seats
- heated steering wheel
- power rear sunshade
- multi contour front seats
- hidden keypad to get you in locked car
- many of the current safety nannies - adaptive cruise, blind spot, lane warning, etc.
- park assist
- twin turbo (very easily tunable for way more power)
- ingress/egress - very easy to get in and out of the car, front or back seat
- stealth factor (if you like that kind of thing)
- trunk - huge, also makes the car look huge tho.
- sync - don't know...heard many bad things but dash is clean.
- value - the features for the "street" price could be compelling...some of these features are not avail on cars costing more.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hell no it's not reliable. The mechatronics cost 3-4k and they love to puke right after the warranty runs out. A quick search will show you all of the info you need.

They are also TERRIBLE to daily drive. I quickly dumped my GTI because it was miserable to sit in traffic and drive. Texas heat + AC means the GTI is gutless and gets horrid gas mileage.

There is a reason that Honda is putting a torque convertor on their DSG for the TLX. It's all about the daily driving experience.
Old 03-28-2014, 03:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Here are some stats:
Acura TL: 0-60 5.2s Quarter Mile 13.7s.
This is a magazine time & spec racing with magazine numbers is not a good plan.

In real life I have never seen a stock TL make it into the 13's. The ones that have are running FBO + supercharger.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Acura--TL-Drag-Racing.html

The SHO's on the other hand do pretty well at the strip. On the SHO list my 335 which is a pretty quick car, would only place 4th.

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford--Taurus-Drag-Racing.html

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-28-2014 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Instructor

This is a magazine time & spec racing with magazine numbers is not a good plan.
I disagree with you. This time has been posted everywhere not just this one magazine. Also, the Golf R DSG has been around in Europe for some time now so it's not a new car.

In real life I have never seen a stock TL make it into the 13's. The ones that have are running FBO + supercharger.
ONLY 3 of the cars in that list are SH-AWD. If we are making a fair comparison let's at least focus on the car in question. Also, all 3 cars with SH-AWD on that list are stock 2009 model. It is unclear (at least to me) if they are MT or AT.

The SHO's on the other hand do pretty well at the strip. On the SHO list my 335 which is a pretty quick car, would only place 4th.
I went and read the info on a few of the SHO's in your list. They all had some type of a tune. Some of them had a stock chip with an aftermarket software. The SHO's are easily tunable like most Turbo cars. So I wouldn't be surprised if all people interested in drag racing/quarter mile laps flash their chips first.

Therefore, again, you are not making a fair comparison there. And since we are on the subject of 335i and comparing it to tuned SHOs. A simple JB4 install will add you about a 100hp at the crank and make your 335 run circles around the SHO.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Hell no it's not reliable. The mechatronics cost 3-4k and they love to puke right after the warranty runs out. A quick search will show you all of the info you need.
You are correct here. I am reading a lot of complaint about these mechatronics.

They are also TERRIBLE to daily drive.
It comes down to personal preference. I rather like the punch of a DSG gearbox. However, I would be interested to test drive the honda's that have DSG + Torque converter when they come out.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Mazda is working on a similar setup. A torque converter box handles reverse, first, and second gear, and a DSG handles gears 3-8. It might be 1-3 with torque converter, and 4-8 with a DSG; I'm not sure. I can't figure out what the mechanism is for shifting between 2 and 3, so it'll be interesting to see how they and Acura make it work.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:09 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think i would take less power from a Honda than more power from Ford. Ford has cheap material. Not quite as cheap as Dodge (plastics cheaper than Chinese knockoffs), but cheaper than Acura. The Honda will also be reliable. The Honda will also retain its value after a few years. The Acura is probably more American made than the Ford, too. lol. If power and gadgets were all that mattered, a Ford Mustang would be the only car worth buying for 35k for a 420hp car. Regardless, this is my opinion and that is yours. When you post that a Ford is better than an Acura in an Acura forum, you won't get much agreement.