Edmunds Comparison: Infiniti G37 Journey vs. Acura TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Maybe it's a definition of terms. The preview wasn't biased. It was controlled. The journalists were free offer their own opinions and draw their own conclusions. They offered up the best from the competition that was available at the time and what more could they do? I'm sure that BMW or Infiniti wouldn't give Acura a pre-production prototype of the 2010 car right?
I dont know how you cant see this test as bias but to each there own i guess.

There is know debating that the journalists where free to give their opinions. Even Jeff at TOV prefered the Infiniti over the group.

I will agree with you that it was controlled....very controlled.

When you select cars that are at the end of a model run and one isnt even being built in 2009 (Audi) and Honda avoids the G37 which would have been released a couple months later.
Then put them up against a pre-production car that isnt even available to the public yet, and put them out for one specific test on a track thats going to be a huge benifit for the pre-production car (short track), then once you know that your pre-production car will have the best time for this one test you invite a bunch of credible auto Journalists out to drive the cars but they cant bring their own testing gear and perform other tests......

Ya there is nothing bias about this at all.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:27 PM
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
What? WHAT? The whole point of the track day (it was not a test) was to show the upcoming car! If that was your stated goal what would be the point of showing the automatic?

People here whine and complain when Honda or Acura hides their future plans. Now we complain when they show their future plans. Are you suggesting that they should have kept the 6-MT a secret and not shown anything?

If you were in charge, (and you wanted to show the MT) what would you have done?
What the rest of the auto industry does and release cars to the professional journalists for what they refer to as "First drives" or "First Looks".

Everyone is saying here that the only reason why Honda did this test was to showcase the 6MT because they had no other way of doing it.

Perfect example is the 2010 Audi S4.

Its not available till spring 09 for Europe and fall of 09 for NA. Audi has no S4 available for the 2009 model year. So how do they let the market know that they have something available in the future? They release the new S4 for the journalists to see and drive 1.5 years ahead of schedule (just like the TL 6MT).
They dont hold some comparo against older/outdated competitors models at their testing facility. This test makes Honda look rather bad and that their reaching for something. I hope the other manufacturers dont follow suit and continue this bad precedent.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
...a bunch of credible auto Journalists out to drive the cars but they cant bring their own testing gear and perform other tests......
Journalist are never allowed to test with their own instruments at a long lead intro. Auto mag testing has to wait for production versions once the assembly line is set up. It's always been like this for as long as I've read car magazines so I don't see why people cry 'foul'
Old 12-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by cp3117
They dont hold some comparo against older/outdated competitors models at their testing facility. This test makes Honda look rather bad and that their reaching for something. I hope the other manufacturers dont follow suit and continue this bad precedent.
And if they had a long lead preview with only the TL there, people would whine that there was nothing to compare it to? You get what I'm saying right? They are 'damned if they do and damned if they don't'
Old 12-07-2008, 08:43 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 835 Likes on 519 Posts
Exactly. If they simply put out a press release with some lap times and pics, nobody will believe. And you will have people complaining, "na, it's still heavy, it's still under-powered, there's no way it will be faster than any cars on the track even with SH-AWD, nothing can save it."

I mean, if you simply have a press release with your lap time, it's going to be like the GTR. Nissan claimed that the GTR with Dunlop tires can lap the N'ring in 7:29. But when other professional drivers go out and test it, it's not even close. You see, either way (press release or a track day event), you will get a lot of discussion. For example, did the GTR in that test have Dunlops, or R tires? Did Nissan turn up the boost just for that run? Did they modify the suspension somewhat? Did they remove extra weight that we are unaware of?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was planning to go with the TL SH-AWD new w incentives and a trade of an 03 SE Maxima but I just can not get around the rear of the TL. Granted I own an 07 RDX I was not that big on its overall design but now I actually like it or don't really care what the arse end looks like because the driving and handling of it are just excellent. Gas mileage well that could be better lol but I get it reimbursed

Today I am going to write up a deal on an 08 G35X premium or a 07 G35X Navi both have the same km of arround 24k which is nothing but the longer warranty on the 08 has me leaning towards the premium vs Navi package plus it is a model year newer. Odds are I will go 08 route, even with the discounts/incentives the 09's are more than I want to spend for the extra hp 3.7 motor and 7 speed tranny.

I figure darn the G35x is still sweet and it is costing me less and I gotta draw the budget line somewhere....
Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 PM
User-approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny thing, I had issues with the TL beak, fewer with the butt-end, but overall I found it was impossible to see either from behind the wheel, my personal preferred viewing and driving position.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but what is up with the performance numbers listed in that article? They have the TL-AWD listed with a 0-60 time of 6.7 seconds. Isn't that number closer to 5.7? I've seen reviews with numbers ranging from 5.5 to 6.3--so which really is it?

Having owned my TL for a few months now, and having modded it a bit, I'm of the feeling the 0-60 time in my car is closer to the 5 second mark. Thoughts?
Old 11-24-2009, 10:39 PM
User-approved

Track results

If anyone thinks that 200cc, maybe some extra boost and suspension tweaks would overcome as much as a 2 sec per lap lead on a Mid-Ohio road course (which is NOT a short track) in a PASSENGER car, the person who accomplished that would be a GOD in the F1 world.

Acura put the metal hurt on those others. Have a rematch with the updated rides and let the bullshit stop when the green flag drops.
Old 11-25-2009, 05:45 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny, for almost every TL picture, the comment was bashing on the TL, for every G37 picture, it was complimenting the G37.....
Old 11-25-2009, 05:57 PM
ShellZV6

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
u know i have to say i rented a g37 sedan for the weekend and have to say although it is pretty fast i hate the interior i think it looks cheap and ugly id rather the interior on the new TL then on the infiniti ive yet to drive a SH-AWD TL but im sure the 6mt tl holds its own..just my two sense..lol
Old 11-28-2009, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Notice how Infinity, like many others, eliminates the 6MT option once AWD is made available. Why? Simple economics, AWD systems need very well designed relatively expensive transmissions.

So comparing a Lacrosse, G37, or SHO to a SHAWD 6MT is like apples and oranges for the enthusiast drivers.

What we need is B8 Audi S4, Volvo S60R (R models happen late in model life), or SAAB Turbo X (if GM doesn't liquidate, now that the Koenigsegg deal fell through), about the only AWD 6MT sedans out there, shame innit? STi and Evo GSR are there too if you can swallow the naked wires in the engine bay, and utilitarian looks, BTW Evo beats STi any day.

Last edited by Kandiru; 11-28-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:33 PM
OG Member

Originally Posted by Kandiru
Notice how Infinity, like many others, eliminates the 6MT option once AWD is made available. Why? Simple economics, AWD systems need very well designed relatively expensive transmissions.
Simple economics, yes, but your reasoning is incorrect. 6MT uptake for the G sedan is about 7%. Federalizing a 6MT AWD car would make no economic sense at all. Most people who buy 6MT G's want the driving experience only a pure RWD car can provide.

People asked for a M45x, they brought it, people asked for a G37x Coupe, they brought it, not many people are asking for a 6MT AWD. The M56x is going to have about 420hp/400lb.ft so JATCO (Nissan's transmission subsidiary) must know a thing or two about building transmissions hooked up to high power.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Oy!

If Nissan knows so much about transmissions, why oh why did they put that abortion CVT in their "4-Door Sports Car" Maxima?

I have rented them many times. I cannot stand driving those things with the mashed-potato drive. Same for the Murano.

PS: This thread belongs in Car Talk. Since we cannot move it, let's not keep this one going here. If you want to continue with this topic, please start a new thread in Car Talk. This one will be closed soon unless it just dies on the vine.

Last edited by Xpditor; 11-28-2009 at 11:22 PM.