Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 04:23 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by PMOliu
Hi All. Am new here. Have a 2012 TL SH-AWD... 130k miles. This forum has been my go to spot for all things Acura. Have had so many issues with the car, that I can't count that high... but at least I understood what was going on when it was going on.

Like all of you I received the notification re the oil consumption test.... and as I have been telling them for the last two years, I was having to add 5-6 quarts between oil changes. So no surprise that they agreed to replace the pistons and seal...... what I was not ready for was that not only did they tell me one camshaft was shot.... but both needed to be replaced because they were in such bad shape. I called Acura to open a case. I could see if one camshaft was shot... not that I would have liked it but ok, I am reasonable. But both??? Waiting to hear back to see if they agree to do anything. From what I have seen from other peoples experiences, I am not terribly hopeful, but I dare to dream. Will post whatever the end result is.

Thanks to all of you for your insights!
In case you didn't see one of my posts above. My dealer replaced my front bank cam shaft under the same warranty job. The tech concluded that oil starvation caused by the consumption, was what damaged my camshaft, so they filed a claim to Honda Canada and replaced it under warranty for me. Hope it works out for you!
Old 07-27-2019, 04:31 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Teddybear
In case you didn't see one of my posts above. My dealer replaced my front bank cam shaft under the same warranty job. The tech concluded that oil starvation caused by the consumption, was what damaged my camshaft, so they filed a claim to Honda Canada and replaced it under warranty for me. Hope it works out for you!
Thanks Teddybear. Hoping .... Praying .....
Old 07-29-2019, 10:43 AM
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts
I just called my dealer to see if they had a date yet, as I have been waiting since April 28th for the call to schedule my repair. They said they have no idea and not to expect anything until at least the end of the summer... They claim that the scheduling is up to Acura Canada and that they have no say in it. Does that seem like a load of BS to anyone else? Sounds to me like they are just pushing off warranty work for normal lucrative work.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:51 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by vertigo2
I just called my dealer to see if they had a date yet, as I have been waiting since April 28th for the call to schedule my repair. They said they have no idea and not to expect anything until at least the end of the summer... They claim that the scheduling is up to Acura Canada and that they have no say in it. Does that seem like a load of BS to anyone else? Sounds to me like they are just pushing off warranty work for normal lucrative work.
Not sure if it is BS or not, as I was approved for the repairs around the same time as you and they gave me a date. I'm waiting till August 26th which is end of summer basically. It seems that they are just waiting on parts.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2010 TL SH is going in tomorrow to start the oil test. From what I have read they should cover the cost of the oil change, assuming they don't find something underneath the car in terms of an oil leak that I am not aware of that would keep them from doing the test.

How do they seal everything up so someone can't mess with it? Just curious what they use to tamper-proof everything.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't see consumption start to occur until 1500-2000 miles into the change, then it picks up from there. Wish I hadn't done frequent oil changes when I bought the car to try and clean up the rings, should have let it go to hell in a handbasket and it might be better for me in pleading my oil consumption case. Haha. The frequent oil changes definitely helped out and it doesn't use near as much as it used to.

Drive it like I stole it in sport mode for the next 1000 miles? Living in Colorado, tremendous mountain driving and the ability to pull many mountain passes in a single drive is a reality. What type of driving will most likely give me the highest consumption? Crap, I can't believe I'm asking this...
Old 07-29-2019, 09:02 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
I'm not the first to suggest this.... You could siphon oil out from the top.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:25 AM
Subsonic

Originally Posted by Bonz
My 2010 TL SH is going in tomorrow to start the oil test. From what I have read they should cover the cost of the oil change, assuming they don't find something underneath the car in terms of an oil leak that I am not aware of that would keep them from doing the test.

How do they seal everything up so someone can't mess with it? Just curious what they use to tamper-proof everything.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't see consumption start to occur until 1500-2000 miles into the change, then it picks up from there. Wish I hadn't done frequent oil changes when I bought the car to try and clean up the rings, should have let it go to hell in a handbasket and it might be better for me in pleading my oil consumption case. Haha. The frequent oil changes definitely helped out and it doesn't use near as much as it used to.

Drive it like I stole it in sport mode for the next 1000 miles? Living in Colorado, tremendous mountain driving and the ability to pull many mountain passes in a single drive is a reality. What type of driving will most likely give me the highest consumption? Crap, I can't believe I'm asking this...
Not sure about the US, but in Canada, you pay for the oil change. My dealer didn't do anything for tamper proofing. I've heard of some marking the drain bolt and oil pan position, or taping the oil cap. But i have a feeling since they may opt not to tape the oil cap in case you really run low and have to add in oil yourself.

My consumption pattern was the same. Fresh oil didn't burn as much. My dealer seemed to expect this as well.

Vtec probably gives highest consumption lol. I honestly had fun driving harder than i normally do.
Old 07-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Intermediate

Well, there is a minor oil leak at the oil pump gasket and they won't run the test. Bummed out and disappointed for sure, but can't afford to have them do that work and no time myself now that summer break is coming to and end and starting back to teaching.

Definitely do believe a cam lobe issue is present in the back bank, #1 or #2. The mechanic was really helpful in checking that out and service manager was nice to let me go to the car in the service bay and look/listen.

I had thought it was an injector, but it is not. Any recourse with Acura?

With that said, I have a warranty on it from buying it used that is still valid.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nev05
Not sure if it is BS or not, as I was approved for the repairs around the same time as you and they gave me a date. I'm waiting till August 26th which is end of summer basically. It seems that they are just waiting on parts.
I reached out to Client Services and they confirmed it is indeed a major parts shortage.

My car consumes a lot more oil when I'm doing a lot of city stop-and-go or bumper to bumper traffic jam driving.

Last edited by vertigo2; 07-30-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:36 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by Teddybear

Vtec probably gives highest consumption lol. I honestly had fun driving harder than i normally do.
Oh yeah so much fun, vtec all day, 5500 rpm from light to light in the city. Funniest part was when I would tell people that I have to drive like that, I have to try to burn as much oil as possible, for the sake of my engines longevity.

I think its all about rpm per distance traveled. The more rpm the more opportunity for the rings to not properly wipe the oil away so it will be burnt up.

I'm also surprised how fast some of us got the fix and how long others are having to wait. Would be very frustrating.

Last edited by dopeboy1; 07-30-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:36 PM
Subsonic

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Oh yeah so much fun, vtec all day, 5500 rpm from light to light in the city. Funniest part was when I would tell people that I have to drive like that, I have to try to burn as much oil as possible, for the sake of my engines longevity.

I think its all about rpm per distance traveled. The more rpm the more opportunity for the rings to not properly wipe the oil away so it will be burnt up.

I'm also surprised how fast some of us got the fix and how long others are having to wait. Would be very frustrating.
I had also just put in my Jpipe when i was doing the oil consumption, so it was extra fun haha

I think they're issuing the repair parts in batches based on demand. We probably got lucky and made the first batch. I was talking to the tech doing my repair and he said that most cases he's seen, the oil burning isn't that bad, and that they haven't come across too many cases that failed yet (back in April). I started the consumption test in Jan.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Waiting on parts

I'm waiting on the parts to come in as well. I'm in the U.S. dealer is saying 1-2 months. My 2010 TL has 50,000 miles. Would it be at all worthwhile to do the timing belt, water pump, tensioner that other's have been doing? The only thing I can think of is the age of the belt might make it worth doing? Is anyone else in the U.S. being told a long wait for the parts?
Thanks!
Old 08-02-2019, 11:59 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
new pistons fixed it....

Originally Posted by 2012tldave
Update: About 2500 miles after the piston job now, does seems to have fixed the oil consumption issue. The 3.7L is running well :-)
More than 5k after the piston change. No issues and no oil added at all. Oil leaks are fixed, no more knocking or valve chatter. Recommend anyone who has opportunity to have the piston replacment - do it along with belts, plugs, water pump etc.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:06 PM
4th Gear

Got my car back from the shop. Along with the piston change, they replaced both camshafts and rocker arms.... which cost me $3500. Also replaced the catalytic converter.

Having said that, best the car has run. My wife commented that it even sounds better than the first day I got it. Probably will drive the car for 1000 mils, change the oil, then go 2000 miles and change it again.

As I mentioned I opened a case with Acura Customer Service. They case manager called me to get details. Supposed to hear back next week and will post any updates.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:10 PM
Racer

Why would you agree to pay $3500 up front for them to replace that stuff when those parts are clearly damaged as a direct result of the faulty piston rings?
Old 08-02-2019, 02:14 PM
4th Gear

Why would you agree to pay $3500 up front for them to replace that stuff when those parts are clearly damaged as a direct result of the faulty piston rings?
Well, they refused to admit that it was the result of the faulty piston rings. And I pressed the dealership. Its what led me to call Acura in the first place.
Old 08-02-2019, 02:23 PM
Racer

That's unreal. I wish you the best of luck, I really hope you get reimbursed for that. The cams and rocker arms would not have been damaged had they not been starved of oil thanks to Honda's poor engine design.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:25 PM
Intermediate

Oh my gosh, there looks to be so much cause and effect with relation to the cams that you should fight that and get your money back.

My 2010 3.7 TL has made a ticking noise from the rear cylinder bank for a while now. Took it in on Tuesday to start the oil consumption test but they couldn't because there was a leak around the oil pump gasket.

It was ready for an oil change so I changed the oil today, lots of metal whiskers on the magnetic drain plug. Based on talking with the mechanic on Tuesday and listening to the engine with a stethoscope with him, I know I have a cam or rocker or both issue.

What has me feeling alright is I have the warranty from when I bought the car used, that covers all internal engine issues. It still has 5,000 miles to go before it expires.

Talked with the warranty company (from Car Max) and then the dealer today. I feel very confident that I have a cam issue and once the dealer gets into it they will be able to verify.

I will fight tooth and nail for them to replace the oil pump as well. I do not like the idea of pumping metallic whiskers throughout the engine to be filtered out or stick to the magnetic drain plug. Oil pumps are not meant to do that.

When they replace the oil pump, it will be full circle and the source of the oil leak will be eliminated. Then I should be able to do the oil consumption test.

This is all a best case scenario, howeverI do feel I have things in my favor.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:33 PM
7th Gear

Hello all. Lurker here, but with an issue, or two.

So maybe 2months ago, I took my 2012 SHAWD with 130k miles to the dealers for the oil consumption recall. They checked the level and told me to come back after 1k miles. They checked the car and noticed there was a leak from the rear main seal. Told me I'd have to get that fixed before they could properly diagnose it.
I figured it was time for timing belt, water pump, etc, so I had a local mechanic do the work. Replaced all seals, including a leaking tranny seal. $3000 later, car is running smoothly. 1,500 miles later, while on a driveway with a slight grade, oil level warning came on. Level is low. I'm guestimating the oil consumption issue is still there.

Now, I've been reading about it and saw that the warranty extension covers up to 120k miles. If I go to a different dealer, will they still do the recall, or would I just be wasting my time?
The 1st dealer told me, once I get the leaks fixed, they would charge me $185 to diagnose the oil consumption.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Frustrated SoCal AWDer
Old 08-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

The oil consumption test should be free. That should be a non-issue. tell them that's part of their responsibility to Acura for carrying their name and backing the faulty engine they sold regardless of what they think.

With that said, I was part way through my oil change and if they had done the test, they simply would have topped it off and started the test from that point. Which would have been fine by me because the further along in the oil change, the more oil it starts to use.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Just thought I would note, I've had my vehicle back for almost 1 month now - about 500 miles. Oil level is full and clean. I did check it after the repair and the oil level was full, not over full. So, basically no change in the oil level.

On a side note, when I went to pick it up, I looked over the engine before driving off. There was small puddles of oil on the top of the engine and dirty, etc. I had them clean it up before taking it home. It is still clean, so they just did a bad job of cleaning up after the service.

Lastly, the car drives great - but it always drove great so no changes there. I never had the engine oil light come on as I started checking the oil years ago when I heard about this issue.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:30 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
All,
After $59.99 oil change and 1,200 miles, dealer confirmed that my car burnt 1.5 quart of oils and schedule to have it fix in September.
There are a few things I've noticed during the conversation with the service adviser :
  • The oil level was top off after the oil change and the car burnt 1.5 quarts of oil but the technician said he did top off with two (2) quarts of oil.. If the car only burnt 1.5 quarts of oil, it should only need 1.5 quarts instead of 2 quarts.
  • Dealer from my area said they typically do 2 cars every week and approximately 9 cars every month.. This means a lot of 4G 3.7 engines out there to be fixed. They do the fix based on customer relationship.. If you come in their dealer to do service, obviously you will get priority over the new guy..
  • Try to do the oil consumption test as soon as possible, if the 1st try didn't fail.. try again.. Acura knows the problem, they just don't have enough parts to do the fix. They just buy some time. Get Corporate Acura involve if you have to.. Some dealers will work with you just try to be nice and not too demanding..
  • I talk to the service adviser and they actually like our 4G over the new TLX... our 4G TL is more "mechanical" feeling driving than the "electronic" feeling of the TLX... This does not mean 4G is superior than TLX ... it's only personal opinion....Some people prefer the driving feeling while other just let the car does everything...
These are the observations I had when bring my car in.. Again, everybody has different scenario but be nice and I believe dealership is willing to work with you.. it's just their schedule is full... keep trying and they will do it..
Old 08-12-2019, 10:59 AM
7th Gear

The oil consumption test should be free. That should be a non-issue. tell them that's part of their responsibility to Acura for carrying their name and backing the faulty engine they sold regardless of what they think.

With that said, I was part way through my oil change and if they had done the test, they simply would have topped it off and started the test from that point. Which would have been fine by me because the further along in the oil change, the more oil it starts to use.
I'm glad I went to get it checked again.

Went to a different dealer, the dealer where I bought my car. Since I had just done an oil change and had the paperwork showing date and mileage, service tech went off of that and they took my car in, confirming oil consumption.

I was afraid that since my car was over 120k miles for the warranty extension, that Acura wouldn't cover it. But I was told that it was a good thing I brought it in before September because it'll be a lot more difficult (case-by-case) to get oil consumption warranty work done.

They gave me a 2019 TLX Adv. Not impressed, coming from the AWD. I miss my car...
Old 08-20-2019, 11:31 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
I was scheduled to take my car in next Monday, after waiting 3 months, and they just called me today saying that they need to reschedule as the parts are not in yet. They said it will most likely be next month. Very frustrating
Old 08-20-2019, 03:42 PM
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Nev05
I was scheduled to take my car in next Monday, after waiting 3 months, and they just called me today saying that they need to reschedule as the parts are not in yet. They said it will most likely be next month. Very frustrating
I feel your pain. But look at it this way: “ better late than never “ many won’t even make it I before the sept deadline. These parts have been newly manufactured with different materials and measurements. Acura has to gather enough demand then process manufacturing then deliver to dealers. It’s the same for iPhones and such. They simply don’t want to our supply the demand.
Old 08-21-2019, 06:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got my 2010 TL back (117k miles). Took dealership 1 week to complete the job. Service tech drove it over the weekend. Oil consumption test started on April 9th. It burned 1.3 qts in 995 miles. Second check up it burned less then a quart, but I was told that Acura will approve after first check up. On May 7th I was told it would be a month before they could get me in. They got me in on August 12th,
Throttle response feels more immediate and transmission feels smoother. They had to replace one connecting rod due to worm bearing. I will baby it for 1k miles to break it in. MPG seems to be up by 1-2 mpg.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:17 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Maks
Just got my 2010 TL back (117k miles). Took dealership 1 week to complete the job. Service tech drove it over the weekend. Oil consumption test started on April 9th. It burned 1.3 qts in 995 miles. Second check up it burned less then a quart, but I was told that Acura will approve after first check up. On May 7th I was told it would be a month before they could get me in. They got me in on August 12th,
Throttle response feels more immediate and transmission feels smoother. They had to replace one connecting rod due to worm bearing. I will baby it for 1k miles to break it in. MPG seems to be up by 1-2 mpg.

I have never seen a main bearing that was so worn that it took our a connecting rod, not also take the crank journal with it. I suppose it could happen, just not in my experience.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Cruisin'

2013 TL-SHAWD-Elite 64,000km (40kmiles) Car runs great aside from oil consumption
Oil consumption warranty approved, booked two months from now due to parts back ordered

Trying to collect my thoughts here, was hoping for some advice on anything else i should replace to take advantage of labour savings. The goal is too keep the car long term...even if the 2021 type S TLX has me drooling a bit...

Here is the TSB as everyone reading this thread well knows
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-052.PDF

In addition, the dealership has verbally told me they would replace as part of the service;

- Timing Belt
- Spark Plugs

Also, they are recommending to replace;
- Timing belt tensioner
- Water Pump
- Oil pump (if leaking)

Assuming the above, what else should I have done? Car is coming due for minder Sub code #4 (plugs/timing belt/inspect water pump/valve clearance) and Sub Code #5 (coolant) It appears timing is on my side here.

- Oil pump, should i just do it regardless?
- all timing belt pulleys? (water/idler)?
- check and adjust valve clearance? Is that going to be done anyways? or do i need to ask for it?
- rod bearings? these will be replaced if worn, but if not should i just pay for new ones?

Anything else anyone would recommend would be appreciated, trying to take advantage of the service for maximum efficiency.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:03 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
I feel your pain. But look at it this way: “ better late than never “ many won’t even make it I before the sept deadline. These parts have been newly manufactured with different materials and measurements. Acura has to gather enough demand then process manufacturing then deliver to dealers. It’s the same for iPhones and such. They simply don’t want to our supply the demand.
3 weeks after dropping off my car, parts are still on backorder. They have 5 cars sitting there, waiting for new pistons. They have no idea when parts are coming in. This is frustrating.

I'll be selling/trading this car the day I get it out of the dealer.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by S2KON2
3 weeks after dropping off my car, parts are still on backorder. They have 5 cars sitting there, waiting for new pistons. They have no idea when parts are coming in. This is frustrating.

I'll be selling/trading this car the day I get it out of the dealer.
I can't believe they let you leave the car with them without having the parts to do the job... Did they give you a loaner in the meantime?
Old 09-04-2019, 10:38 AM
7th Gear

I can't believe they let you leave the car with them without having the parts to do the job... Did they give you a loaner in the meantime?
Yeah, they gave me a 2019 TLX with 800 miles, but FWD. Makes me miss my AWD all that much more.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My car just went in yesterday for the engine work. Hopefully it will be done by Friday.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:06 AM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by gurot1
My car just went in yesterday for the engine work. Hopefully it will be done by Friday.
Did they have parts in stock? If they do, you're a lucky sob...
Old 09-11-2019, 07:32 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I am still waiting at nearly 4 months since Acura approved me. This is my third and most likely my last Acura. This ordeal has sucked.

- Acura initially denying that there was any issue,
- I was ripped off by the dealer on the oil change. I was told $89 and when I went to pick it up, it was $110 (I was later told that the $89 did not cover shop fees...what a load)
- After that $110 oil change I noticed that they had overfilled my car by 1 qt (and they didn't reset the MID)
- At my 2nd oil reading they said I was only 1/2 qt low. I checked at the dealer and the oil level was still below the low level on the dipstick. Service advisor had to add 1 qt to get it to normal. So he had to update the notes
- Hearing how some dealers are absolutely ripping people off on the timing belt service (on this thread and on other threads). There should be no labor charge to swap the belt. They need to take it off anyways. There should only be a parts charge.

Lastly, Acura knew about my specific car having been low on oil. After I bought it (pre-owned) and was going through the messages on the NAV screen, I noticed a low oil message that the previous owner had experienced. Checking the Carfax showed me that the very next day the car was taken into an Acura dealership for an oil change. No mention of course about why the car came in.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by gurot1
I see you're in Ontario, which dealer are you going to?
Old 09-12-2019, 09:58 AM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
I just realized the oil consumption TSB says 8 years "from date of purchase". I was thinking it said 8 years old (meaning 2011 would be the oldest they would cover). Mine is a 2011 model and I have no idea when it was purchased. I'm guessing it has been more like 8-1/2 years. The car only has 99,500 on it, but the letter clearly states "whichever comes first". Am I screwed? Has anyone had the dealer refuse to cover the cost if they are over this time limit by only a few months? I'm hoping they'll make an exception.

Also, I apologize if this has been discussed already, but I don't have the time or desire to read though 19 pages of posts...the TSB states that the oil consumption is caused by carbon clogging the control rings and inhibiting the rings' ability to return oil to the crank, but what exactly is causing the excessive carbon buildup to begin with?

Last edited by mossman77; 09-12-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:01 AM
Racer

Call your dealer ASAP and check eligibility with your VIN.
Old 09-12-2019, 10:02 AM
Pro

I called them this morning and scheduled an appointment for Monday to begin my oil consumption test. They didn't ask for a VIN, but they have my vehicle in the system. Hopefully they would have said something if it wasn't going to be covered.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:23 AM
7th Gear

A month and 3 days later, the piston set has finally arrived. Advisor said it should be done in 3 days
Old 09-12-2019, 11:25 AM
Pro

Anyone have a TL older than 8 years or greater than 125k and the dealer still covered it?

Quick Reply: Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption