Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 10:46 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
I would speak directly to the GENERAL manager of the dealership and let him know what happen and ask HIM or HER to allow for an Oil consumption test.I would also let him or her know that the Service Manager there at the dealership told you to go to honda without explaining that the test would not be valid. So he wasted your time and your money.Tell him you value your car, and the acura brand and you hope that This deaserhip would give you an opportunity to do the oil consumption test. Schedule an appointment.
​​​​​​​ thank you so much seriously really helped because I didn't know what to do from here on out I was going to just keep adding oil to it as needed but it really should be fixed properly thank you for your information that really seriously helped
Old 03-01-2022, 10:52 AM
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts
Dealerships have a way of making you feel powerless. But As long as you are respectful but stand your ground they can be helpful.
The following users liked this post:
Steven Maslauskas jr (03-01-2022)
Old 03-01-2022, 10:56 AM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
Dealerships have a way of making you feel powerless. But As long as you are respectful but stand your ground they can be helpful.
seriously thank you I just need to speak up for myself I have a very very hard time speaking up for myself and standing my ground like you explained in your message and that is something I most certainly got to do in this situation because I love my Acura but cannot stand the oil consumption
Old 03-01-2022, 03:23 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wouldn't the deadline for a 2012 have been 2020?
Old 03-01-2022, 10:42 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
Yes, unless it sat on a dealer lot for a year + and it hasn't yet been 8 years since first sold.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:47 PM
10th Gear

Angry

I noticed that my oil was low between changes, to the point I was adding 3/4 to a Quart every 1500 miles. I took it through the oil consumption test at my Acura Dealership. They confirmed the issue for oil consumption, but my 2013 is now out of the extended warranty period. I have 72k miles. They are offering to pay 40% of the repair, but I don't think that's enough. It's still a pretty new engine by Acura's standards - 72k miles.

Any thoughts on how to get them to honor this warranty 100%? This is seriously about to turn me off of Acura - this is the second time they've had to open my engine - the first time was due to pitted cams which cost a ton to fix as well. I've never had to get an engine rebuilt at this low mileage, and have the dealership tell me I'm responsible for paying, even when they know it's from their defect in manufacturing... I currently own 3 Acuras that I take to this dealership and have owned 3 additional in the past.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 298 Posts
Originally Posted by blackphenomenon
I noticed that my oil was low between changes, to the point I was adding 3/4 to a Quart every 1500 miles. I took it through the oil consumption test at my Acura Dealership. They confirmed the issue for oil consumption, but my 2013 is now out of the extended warranty period. I have 72k miles. They are offering to pay 40% of the repair, but I don't think that's enough. It's still a pretty new engine by Acura's standards - 72k miles.

Any thoughts on how to get them to honor this warranty 100%? This is seriously about to turn me off of Acura - this is the second time they've had to open my engine - the first time was due to pitted cams which cost a ton to fix as well. I've never had to get an engine rebuilt at this low mileage, and have the dealership tell me I'm responsible for paying, even when they know it's from their defect in manufacturing... I currently own 3 Acuras that I take to this dealership and have owned 3 additional in the past.
This problem is solved by the usual flushing cycle, you just need to follow the instructions and the consumption will go away.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts
Forgive me if this was lost in the previous #967 messages. What exactly is the flushing cycle?
Old 10-15-2023, 04:56 PM
3rd Gear

Everyone is missing the real issue.

Originally Posted by acurakid_slc
As many of us who own a 4G TL (also RL, MDX, ZDX and some Honda's) there is a known issue with the J37A engine that causes excessive oil consumption. Everyone is frustrated with this issue and ACURA (American Honda Motor Co. (AHM)), is failing to acknowledge there is an issue. Many customers are getting no where because many dealerships aren't aware because no TSB has been issued. Others are able to get to the next step which is an Oil Consumption Test (I suggest everyone demand that their dealership put them on one)! Depending on the results and the dealership pushing ACURA (AHM) you maybe lucky enough to get to the next stage, having the small blocked replaced. I was one of the lucky ones or so I thought until my "new" (2nd) engine continued consuming excessive oil.

Well I had enough of Acura (AHM) denying there is a defect, after my 3rd Oil consumption test and now on my 3rd "new" engine. I have been fighting ACURA (AHM) since May demanding they fix my TL or repurchase/replace my car. October 23, Acura (AHM) finally responded to me with the most inadequate and disappointing response.

I am paraphrasing from Acura's letters (which I've included); "While we do not feel that an unreasonable number of attempts or time out of service have been incurred to correct a substantial defect with your vehicle, we do agree that you have been inconvenienced and we would like to regain your faith in our product. AHM has agreed to provide you with a onetime cash settlement offer of $3,000 and a 5 year/120,000 Vehicle Service Contract (which I've previously purchased from my dealership when I purchased the car) in good faith and in the interest of customer satisfaction".

They then attached a 2nd page "Release Form". Again I'm paraphrasing "Consumer agrees to accept this amount in full settlement and compromise of any and all claims ... this release is not an admission of fault. This Release may be pleased as a full and complete defense to, and may be used as the basis for an injunction against any action, suit or other proceeding which may be instituted prosecuted or attempted in breach of this Release".

I love how they want a full release from any action or suit if I agree to the cash settlement, yet they acknowledge "a substantial defect with your vehicle".

Is there anyone else out there who has been offered a settlement by Acura?

Also, I am very interested in not only pursuing a personal lawsuit against Acura (AHM), but also would like to see how many other people would join a class action lawsuit against Acura. I have reached out to the attorney's who filed and won a similar class action against Honda for excessive oil.

Everyone is missing the real issue here. Yes they replace pistons and rings, but guess what they are putting the same ones back in there. Yes the part numbers are different but all they did was change to part numbers. I got new pistons and rings that I ordered because my car had been totaled and did not qualify for the TSB only to find out that the new Pistons and piston rings were identical to the ones I took out of my engine. So that is why people keep still having the same issues because they really didn't change anything. They put the same exact Pistons and piston rings back in only to have the same issue come up again. And yes they have different part numbers but they are exactly the same no change whatsoever.

Old 10-16-2023, 12:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 378 Likes on 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Bprice
Everyone is missing the real issue here. Yes they replace pistons and rings, but guess what they are putting the same ones back in there. Yes the part numbers are different but all they did was change to part numbers. I got new pistons and rings that I ordered because my car had been totaled and did not qualify for the TSB only to find out that the new Pistons and piston rings were identical to the ones I took out of my engine. So that is why people keep still having the same issues because they really didn't change anything. They put the same exact Pistons and piston rings back in only to have the same issue come up again. And yes they have different part numbers but they are exactly the same no change whatsoever.

The secret is absolutely simple, change the oil at 30-40% of the Oil's life and you will never have problems with oil consumption.
vertigo2 (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
As disappointing as this might be, at least Acura still treats us better than Toyota and honors the issue outside the warranty period. My daughter has 2013 Prius with about 100k miles and since she clocked 85-90k her car consumes a quart of oil every gas fill up To add insult to the injury, this car was in our family since brand new. I understand if this was a used car with a questionable service history, but all oil changes were done at a local Toyota dealer following the recommendation and yet we are dealing with the issues. Toyota only covers this issue during the warranty period, so in our case, since the issue developed outside the warranty period we are hosed up. The priuschat forum members are outraged by this crap. So much for Toyota reliability.
altair47 (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 11:59 AM
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by mlody
As disappointing as this might be, at least Acura still treats us better than Toyota and honors the issue outside the warranty period. My daughter has 2013 Prius with about 100k miles and since she clocked 85-90k her car consumes a quart of oil every gas fill up To add insult to the injury, this car was in our family since brand new. I understand if this was a used car with a questionable service history, but all oil changes were done at a local Toyota dealer following the recommendation and yet we are dealing with the issues. Toyota only covers this issue during the warranty period, so in our case, since the issue developed outside the warranty period we are hosed up. The priuschat forum members are outraged by this crap. So much for Toyota reliability.
I believe the reason is due to the high number of affected cars, I'm sure I read somewhere that about 40% of the 3.7s were expected to develop this issue. I can't imagine that anywhere near that percentage of Priuses (Prii?) have that kind of failure.