Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 03:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, mine is 2010 with 120k on in now, and they repair was done about a month ago. Cheapos didn't even put a new serpentine belt on!
Old 09-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts
Awesome. Good to know they are being super anal about it. I don't anticipate any issues. I just replaced my tensioner and belt, so no worries there.
Old 09-13-2019, 03:06 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vertigo2
I see you're in Ontario, which dealer are you going to?
Schleuter acura (Kitchener)
Old 09-14-2019, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman77
Anyone have a TL older than 8 years or greater than 125k and the dealer still covered it?
2010 model SH-SWD, 159xxx miles. and they installed new camshafts for free as mine were pitted and started ticking during the oil consumption test..
Old 09-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Racer

Got mine back yesterday. I havent had chance to drive it much and plan on taking it easy for the first bit. The new clutch is super smooth compared to before the repair. Shifting car is so much smoother and it engages at much lower position. I need to take a road trip to break it in lol.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mista
Took my 13 AWD TL today to start the testing, they said they don't see any leaks and didn't need to top off the oil so hoping that's a good thing. Told to come back in 1,000 miles...
Followed up today and was 0.5 qts low so they state "No Problem Found at this time"
Old 09-16-2019, 02:41 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
They are only going to fix it if it burns 1qt every 1000miles. Anything less is a no problem found at this time.
Old 09-16-2019, 03:09 PM
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by gurot1
Schleuter acura (Kitchener)
How were they to deal with?
Old 09-17-2019, 09:17 AM
Pro

My dealer is Karen Radley Acura in Woodbridge VA. I arrived at my appointment yesterday to start my consumption test and the service person told me the bulletin has expired and that I need to contact Acura directly. Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed right now. I called Acura when I got home and explained to them that I received a letter in February and that it says I have until September 1st to take the vehicle in. I remember the letter saying September, but thought I had until the end of September. My fault for not checking I guess. Regardless, I'm hoping they will still cover it since it is a 2011, has 99k miles on it, and I missed the deadline by only 2 weeks. I'm waiting to hear back from a case manager within the next 3 to 5 days. I'm going to be pretty upset if they don't cover it. The purchase date of my car was February 2011, so the extended 8 year warranty was already expired the month I got the letter. Seems a little too coincidental.
Old 09-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Maks
Yes, mine is 2010 with 120k on in now, and they repair was done about a month ago. Cheapos didn't even put a new serpentine belt on!
They likely covered it because you had it taken care of prior to September 1, which was the cutoff to repair vehicles regardless of age or mileage. I missed the cutoff by two weeks. Mine is a 2011, but is 8 years and 7 months old.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just checking if anyone else is waiting for the repair? I was initially scheduled on Sept 16th but called a week before just to be sure my schedule is on track. I was surprised when my SA mentioned he's not aware of anymore Excessive Oil Consumption Repair ... SMH ... I was told he's ordering the parts and have it ready within a few weeks. Called again after few weeks (Sept 30th) and was told parts are not in yet and to call after few weeks. I have '12 TL SHAWD and the Dealer is Hinshaw's Acura in Fife, WA.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:12 PM
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by ekisPinoy
Just checking if anyone else is waiting for the repair? I was initially scheduled on Sept 16th but called a week before just to be sure my schedule is on track. I was surprised when my SA mentioned he's not aware of anymore Excessive Oil Consumption Repair ... SMH ... I was told he's ordering the parts and have it ready within a few weeks. Called again after few weeks (Sept 30th) and was told parts are not in yet and to call after few weeks. I have '12 TL SHAWD and the Dealer is Hinshaw's Acura in Fife, WA.
I was approved for the repair at the end of August i had to call the dealership to check and im waiting until January at the earliest to get it done.
The following users liked this post:
ekisPinoy (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 03:12 PM
Racer

I believe quite a few of us are waiting. It's been just over 5 months for me now.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:19 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, I guess I can't complain for waiting 1 month. 3-5 months of wait time is crazy. Best of luck for those waiting.

I completely resolved all issues with my car with this:

Thank you, Acurazine members, for all the information and help! See you on the other side!
Old 10-02-2019, 04:28 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
Just want to offer some encouragement to anyone waiting for their pistons to be replaced...

The wait is worth it!!!

The car feels amazing afterwards. Its what I imagine it drove like when brand new.

One more thing, if after the repair you get an intermittent low oil light but the oil level is full, then you need a new oil pressure switch. Aperently its a common issue afterwards which happened to me also. You just need these two parts, they can be ordered for $40 at the Honda dealership!

Shout out to '4GTL-CBP' for this image
ekisPinoy (10-03-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 09:16 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by PMOliu
Got my car back from the shop. Along with the piston change, they replaced both camshafts and rocker arms.... which cost me $3500. Also replaced the catalytic converter.

Having said that, best the car has run. My wife commented that it even sounds better than the first day I got it. Probably will drive the car for 1000 mils, change the oil, then go 2000 miles and change it again.

As I mentioned I opened a case with Acura Customer Service. They case manager called me to get details. Supposed to hear back next week and will post any updates.
Bumping this.... so my TL had a tick the day i got it back after the rebuild. They only replaced my front camshaft. The dealer kept writing off the tick as "normal valve noise", but adjusted my valves for me for free. I did a full break procedure as if the car was new. The noise kept getting louder. I brought it back a 2nd time, and the tech insisted it was normal. I didnt buy it, so i had my own mechanic give it a listen. He did a 2nd valve adjustment, low and behold the valves were still off. After he did the adjustment, the tick was still there. I opened a case with head office and brought the car back in. They took the rear head off and now notice that the rear bank cam shaft is pitted. Now I'm waiting for Honda/Acura Canada to determine if they'll goodwill this....

Can you see rocker damage without removing the camshaft?
Old 10-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Racer

Oh man that's brutal. Keep us updated. Also it almost sounds like your "free valve adjustment" was a wall job by the dealer.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Subsonic

Oh man that's brutal. Keep us updated. Also it almost sounds like your "free valve adjustment" was a wall job by the dealer.
Yep, that's what I was thinking too, but they didn't charge... so *shrug*
It got slightly quieter, but since i was doing a break in oil change, it got louder right after i flushed the gunk out from the piston job at 1000 km.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman77
My dealer is Karen Radley Acura in Woodbridge VA. I arrived at my appointment yesterday to start my consumption test and the service person told me the bulletin has expired and that I need to contact Acura directly. Needless to say, I'm pretty pissed right now. I called Acura when I got home and explained to them that I received a letter in February and that it says I have until September 1st to take the vehicle in. I remember the letter saying September, but thought I had until the end of September. My fault for not checking I guess. Regardless, I'm hoping they will still cover it since it is a 2011, has 99k miles on it, and I missed the deadline by only 2 weeks. I'm waiting to hear back from a case manager within the next 3 to 5 days. I'm going to be pretty upset if they don't cover it. The purchase date of my car was February 2011, so the extended 8 year warranty was already expired the month I got the letter. Seems a little too coincidental.
Please keep us posted on your situation mossman77. I, too, have a case open with Acura Client Relations as I called in August and was told twice that the warranty expired 8 years from original date of purchase, which was 04/11/2011 for me. I kept trying to tell them I think I was extended until September, but they insisted I was incorrect and my car was no longer under this warranty. I heard back from the Case Manager who instructed me to get the test done, but of course made no promises. I went and had the test started on Friday.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dopeboy1
Just want to offer some encouragement to anyone waiting for their pistons to be replaced...

The wait is worth it!!!

The car feels amazing afterwards. Its what I imagine it drove like when brand new.

One more thing, if after the repair you get an intermittent low oil light but the oil level is full, then you need a new oil pressure switch. Apparently its a common issue afterwards which happened to me also. You just need these two parts, they can be ordered for $40 at the Honda dealership!

Shout out to '4GTL-CBP' for this image

No worries man! Thanks for the shout out!

I went ahead and asked my dealership to do the oil pressure switch for me, since he waived off the labor and just charged me for parts. I could have done it cheaper, but it was already up in the air and I was ok with spending an additional $30 for them to do it correctly.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Finally I got a call from the dealership to bring my car in. I will be dropping it off tomorrow.
ekisPinoy (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 10:45 AM
Cruisin'

Update: I just dropped my '12 TL SHAWD to the dealer this morning and was given a '19 TLX as a loaner. SA told me they usually keep the car for week. I was so excited this morning that I wasn't able to ask them how much the Timing Belt Replacement cost.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:48 AM
Intermediate

Update: I just dropped my '12 TL SHAWD to the dealer this morning and was given a '19 TLX as a loaner. SA told me they usually keep the car for week. I was so excited this morning that I wasn't able to ask them how much the Timing Belt Replacement cost.
Thats interesting, It only took my dealership 1 working day to do the job. I was so excited about my new loaner (2020 RDX) with only 24 miles, that I kept it for another 2 days. Lol
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 PM
Instructor

I dropped my car off today at the dealership and got the 2020 TLX A-Spec as a loaner. Man does it look nice but performance wise it was a let-down comparing to my 6MT. Anyways, they called me to come back after work since I work close by and they were recommending that I do the water pump, timing belt tensioner, idler and tensioner pulleys, and drive belt. They also said my oil pump was leaking as well so that would need to be replaced. In total they quoted me $1319 plus tax. I'm just wondering how many of you got this done and if I should just get this done now or hold off. My car is currently sitting at 185,000 km.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:06 PM
Subsonic

Originally Posted by Nev05
I dropped my car off today at the dealership and got the 2020 TLX A-Spec as a loaner. Man does it look nice but performance wise it was a let-down comparing to my 6MT. Anyways, they called me to come back after work since I work close by and they were recommending that I do the water pump, timing belt tensioner, idler and tensioner pulleys, and drive belt. They also said my oil pump was leaking as well so that would need to be replaced. In total they quoted me $1319 plus tax. I'm just wondering how many of you got this done and if I should just get this done now or hold off. My car is currently sitting at 185,000 km.
If you've never got those things done, just do it now. My oil pump seal was leaking too, i was worried they were going to blame the consumption on that, but thankfully they didn't. I also had all that stuff done, and paid about the same as that price +hst.
Nev05 (10-28-2019)
Old 10-25-2019, 06:15 PM
Cruisin'

Same thing happen to me. I dropped my '12 TL last Monday for Oil Consumption Fix and received a call from SA yesterday afternoon asking me If I have done the timing belt service (98K miles) and was told the Oil Pump is leaking. I was quoted $1100 + tax ( Labor/Parts) to do the timing belt and re-sealing of the oil pump. I tried to negotiate to bring the price down but was unsuccessful. SA told me they're giving me a "HUGE" discount since it's usually $2600 for these two services. Even the coupon "$250 off Timing Belt Replacement" that I got from the mail didn't work I eventually went ahead after a 10% discount ...

Old 10-25-2019, 11:55 PM
Intermediate

Same thing happen to me. I dropped my '12 TL last Monday for Oil Consumption Fix and received a call from SA yesterday afternoon asking me If I have done the timing belt service (98K miles) and was told the Oil Pump is leaking. I was quoted $1100 + tax ( Labor/Parts) to do the timing belt and re-sealing of the oil pump. I tried to negotiate to bring the price down but was unsuccessful. SA told me they're giving me a "HUGE" discount since it's usually $2600 for these two services. Even the coupon "$250 off Timing Belt Replacement" that I got from the mail didn't work I eventually went ahead after a 10% discount ...
$1100 for the oil pump re-seal and the timing belt is a STEAL of a price in my opinion!! If you think about the labor with it being about 5+ hours for the timing belt at $160 shop rate you come up to $800 and then the supplies / hondabond / gaskets / fresh oil change. Then $1100 isn't too bad at all. Typical timing belt job is around $1000 ish anyway.

I had my consumption job completed about 4k ago. My SA was so nice about it that he didn't even think twice about hitting me with the oil pump re-seal. (I guess it wasn't that bad at the time)
4k miles later, I smelt a faint burning smell. Later that evening I check down my oil pan, and then up the side of the block and noticed that the oil pump had a slight leak and has been hitting the rear exhaust j-pipe.
So I took it to Acura and paid $844 for the job. 4.8 labor rate and $100 in parts, and that's with him giving me the parts at cost. I would have went somewhere else but the job requires you to pull off the timing belt to access the oil pump and I didn't trust some odd Joe at an independent shop.

Moral of the story, just do it. Lol
Old 10-28-2019, 09:27 AM
Instructor

I ended up going ahead and doing it, less headaches down the road. I am surprised to say the car is ready and I will be picking it up today!
Old 10-29-2019, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Update: I picked up the car yesterday and it's driving nice and smoooth. I can't say I have been babying it as I missed driving stick lol, but I'm going to monitor the oil levels and see how it goes. If anyone wants pics of the Acura service record, let me know and I'll post it up. It's pretty detailed as to what was replaced and why it was replaced.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:38 PM
7th Gear

Update: I picked up the car yesterday and it's driving nice and smoooth. I can't say I have been babying it as I missed driving stick lol, but I'm going to monitor the oil levels and see how it goes. If anyone wants pics of the Acura service record, let me know and I'll post it up. It's pretty detailed as to what was replaced and why it was replaced.
I'm in GTA too, which dealership did you go to? The one I'm going seems sketchy (exorbitant maintenance/repair service charge compare to other dealerships, overfilling engine oil to start the consumption test), I have a hunch they will rig this test to dishonour extended warranty, I'm due soon for the first 1000km.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:05 AM
Racer

Please post the service record!
Old 10-30-2019, 11:10 PM
Instructor

I went to Acura Downtown. Here is the service record, hope this helps anyone.

vertigo2 (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 08:30 AM
Racer

Thank you sir, much appreciated. Great info. I wonder why it is they cover the timing belt in Canada but not the USA.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:48 AM
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts
im about 5500k miles into my repair and now it seems the high is gone. hearing a few strange noises like the diesel gargle/rattle sound is inching its way back into the enging sounds....not a good sign.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:13 AM
Racer

Probably best to just dump these cars after the repair is done, not worth any potential future headaches. I'm thinking this is my first and last Acura. My wife's next car would be her 3rd Acura, but after this gong show that probably won't happen.
Old 10-31-2019, 11:29 AM
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts
Probably best to just dump these cars after the repair is done, not worth any potential future headaches. I'm thinking this is my first and last Acura. My wife's next car would be her 3rd Acura, but after this gong show that probably won't happen.
im starting to feel the exact same way. No wonder we dont see many of these on the road.
aleo12 (02-01-2020)
Old 10-31-2019, 04:45 PM
Cruisin'

Here's mine from Hinshaw's Acura in Fife, WA

vertigo2 (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 05:00 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
im about 5500k miles into my repair and now it seems the high is gone. hearing a few strange noises like the diesel gargle/rattle sound is inching its way back into the enging sounds....not a good sign.
Oh boy...that rattling noise is back again?! smh
Old 11-01-2019, 07:48 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello Acuraziners! I have an Acura TL 2010 AWD Tech manual almost 140k miles, second owner. I have been following this for a while and haven't had to chance to make an account on Acurazine, but now I did. Long story short. I live in California. Took my car in to Neilo Acura in Roseville, CA 5/2019 and i my TL was burning at least 1 quart per 1k miles. I was told that I had to wait until 4/2020 for repairs to be done. Yes that is right 4/2020 for repairs. I didn't really care at the time as I had other form of transportation and was hoping they would call before 4/2020. I waited until 8/2019 and called the dealership. Told them that I was not going to keep on driving my car around until 4/2020 and I also mentioned to them that it was my DD. The woman that was on the phone stated that they are still short on parts and will put me on a "SPECIAL LIST". Low and behold, I got a phone call around 10/2019 and got a call from the rep. She stated that they had a sport for me. Took my car in on 10/29/2019. The mechanic that spoke w/ me asked me if anything else was wrong w/ the car. I stated that the car makes a very loud ticking sound (pitted cams). Mechanic stated that it is pretty common due to the oil starvation and should be covered also. I left my car and got a call the same day in the afternoon. Mechanic stated that the cams were pitted and oil seal was leaking a little. He recommended that I do their full tune up and the oil seal. He also stated that the driver side mount needs to be replaced. He gave me quotes on the prices w/ the exception that we get certiain benefits from the motor being taken apart already. INow keep in mind that I also use to work on cars and know how long certain repairs take. I told him to do the timing belt, motor mount and the oil pump seal along w/ what is stated in the TSB. Today 11/1/2019 I got a call from the mechanic again. He stated that they went ahead and replaced all said parts and also replaced the rocker arms free of charge.

My TL did have a very loud obnoxious ticking sound prior to the repairs. Thankfully the mechanic said that the ticking sound has been eliminated.

My total out of pocket was $650 for all the maintenance repairs. I am going to pick up my car tomorrow and will update as I go through the break in period.

And again, thanks to all that are on here for updating on this situation.

Sincerely, lonely TL in CALI lol
SammyZ (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 10:12 PM
Racer

How were they to deal with?
Sorry for getting to this message late. Schleuter Acura was great to deal with. Everything went smoothly. Car is smoother as well but I think the clutch repair was more of the difference.

Quick Reply: Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption