Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 12:14 PM
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts
go to another dealership. and then another. and then another. And another. They all are not created equally and not connected otherwise. You would be amazed at the differences.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lanechanger
Update-2.5ealership call mid-last week and advised that one of the camshafts needed replacement as the one of the lobes for cylinder 1 was pitted. They submitted a request to Acura to cover the cost as it was likely due to the oil consumption issue. Took them 2 days to approve the repairs saving me $1,700. Affected cylinder head was completed today. Pre-post photos attached. No ETA on when the car will be ready but shouldn't be later than end of the week.

Didn't have any loud ticking noises from the engine but there was a rattle when the engine was cold and accelerating. Won't know if the rattle is related to the damaged camshaft until I get the car back and get some mileage in.

Front Camshaft, Damaged Lobe - Cylinder 1

Reconditioned front cylinder head with new camshaft
Im dying dying dying to know if the rattle went away
Old 04-05-2019, 12:35 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrphilipanderson
go to another dealership. and then another. and then another. And another. They all are not created equally and not connected otherwise. You would be amazed at the differences.
Thank you for the advice. I will do that. Hopefully I can find one willing to help. It's funny they claim there's a rear main seal leak, yet there has never been a drop of oil in my driveway.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:49 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Joe Enerson
Thank you for the advice. I will do that. Hopefully I can find one willing to help. It's funny they claim there's a rear main seal leak, yet there has never been a drop of oil in my driveway.
A few pointers....

• DO NOT go in there spouting off about how you went to the other dealserhip and so on...
This may put them on the defense.
• Simply go in for an oil change and oil consumption test. I say oil change because they are getting something out of the equation and a fresh change gives you leverage if it fails. Also it gives you an opportunity to check it immediately when they bring your car to ensure its NOT overfilled (this is only if they seem less than helpful.)
.Lots of people are going in demanding an oil consumption test.
• They should automatically do a multi-point inspection which would reveal any leaks. If you have real doubts about any leaks they say may exist, ask to speak with a tech that can point them out to you. if they ask why, mention that " it doesn't leak when parked in your drive way."
These are just principles which have worked in my favor in the past.
The following users liked this post:
Dbuck (04-06-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone in the US completed the fix from this recent warranty extension? Just curious to see which parts they are actually replacing.
Old 04-08-2019, 08:39 PM
Intermediate

My Recent Experience

Just wanted to describe my experience from recently taking the oil consumption test. Midwestern deaIership. Made an appointment and brought it in. They filled out the paper and explained I would need to come back in 1000 miles. I would need to put oil in if it got too low, but make note how much I added on the paper. After the oil change, I asked the service guy to come outside and check the oil in front of me. It was overfilled by about 1/4 inch past the upper line. I said this looks overfilled don’t you think, this is not going to be an accurate test. I had him note the level on the test sheet dipstick picture and also sign it. Very disappointing, I feel like they are doing this on purpose. Does anyone think they are really marking the drain bolt somehow? What would it look like if they did? I’ve owned several Honda’s and Acura’s, I don’t like how they are handling this issue at all.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:50 AM
10th Gear

Acura Canada warranty extension - positive experience

Acura Canada completed the repair of the engine due to excessive oil consumption. I'm now into the third week of driving, over 600 km after the repair, still braking the engine in again and there is no detectable change in the oil level. Before the repair, it would have gone through almost one full litre. I always used 5w20 synthetic oil.

Here is my story. My 09 TL SH-AWD was consuming oil at an average rate of 710 km per 1 litre of oil. I did very precise measurements to determine the amount of oil consumption. When Acura started doing the oil consumption test, they said there was a leak that needed to be fixed before continuing the test. The leak caused some oil to be visible on the oil pan, around the drain plug, but it was not enough to drip on the garage floor. In my opinion, the leak could not possibly account for 1 litre of oil to disappear from the engine every 710 km. Nevertheless, I agreed to let them try to fix the leak at my cost by re-sealing the main bearing cap bolt on cylinder 1, which was their diagnostic, and continue with the official oil consumption test. In retrospect, it didn't fix the oil leak very much and just re-sealing the oil pan (which is part of the required job in replacing pistons and rings) would have fixed it. After this, it was very clear to Acura that the oil was being consumed by burning and due to the known problem of building carbon deposits in the oil rings, getting them stuck to the pistons.

So they proceeded with the repair in mid March. They did a very good job. Then engine sounds great and is noticeably more responsive than before to the touch of the gas pedal. I'm not forcing the engine until at least 1,000 km to break in the new pistons and rings. The exhaust tailpipe used to build up carbon soot all around the opening and even in the surrounding area of the rear bumper. I cleaned it all up after the repair and I'm now expecting to see no more black buildup. I see other 09-12 TLs on the road and some of them have the buildup, others don't. I guess it is a crude way of diagnosing the oil consumption issue. Another symptom of stuck oil rings is premature fouling of spark plugs. In my car, they were in pretty bad shape after only 40,000 km, causing misfire counts of several hundred (read with an OBD reader) per 20-30 km drive cycle. In addition, heavy knocking was heard, especially when re-starting the engine after a short shutdown, like when stopping at a gas station. I imagine this reduced the engine performance as the ECU will automatically retard the ignition timing when knocking is detected by the knock sensor. There is zero misfires now that the spark plugs are new and there is no more oil in the combustion chamber. There is also no more knocking heard under any driving conditions.

The list of parts included in the warranty repair is shown below. It includes a timing belt. But the Acura service advisor recommended replacing the tensioner as well since they said it was leaking oil. I resisted initially because I had changed the timing belt, tensioner and water pump about 60,000 km earlier but then they convinced me and went for it.

Overall, I have to say, for a 9 year old car that runs like new, I'm very happy with Acura quality and support and I'm planning on continuing to use this brand.

Cheers to all.
Teddybear (04-09-2019)
Old 04-09-2019, 09:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by digibrain
Acura Canada completed the repair of the engine due to excessive oil consumption. I'm now into the third week of driving, over 600 km after the repair, still braking the engine in again and there is no detectable change in the oil level. Before the repair, it would have gone through almost one full litre. I always used 5w20 synthetic oil.

Here is my story. My 09 TL SH-AWD was consuming oil at an average rate of 710 km per 1 litre of oil. I did very precise measurements to determine the amount of oil consumption. When Acura started doing the oil consumption test, they said there was a leak that needed to be fixed before continuing the test. The leak caused some oil to be visible on the oil pan, around the drain plug, but it was not enough to drip on the garage floor. In my opinion, the leak could not possibly account for 1 litre of oil to disappear from the engine every 710 km. Nevertheless, I agreed to let them try to fix the leak at my cost by re-sealing the main bearing cap bolt on cylinder 1, which was their diagnostic, and continue with the official oil consumption test. In retrospect, it didn't fix the oil leak very much and just re-sealing the oil pan (which is part of the required job in replacing pistons and rings) would have fixed it. After this, it was very clear to Acura that the oil was being consumed by burning and due to the known problem of building carbon deposits in the oil rings, getting them stuck to the pistons.

So they proceeded with the repair in mid March. They did a very good job. Then engine sounds great and is noticeably more responsive than before to the touch of the gas pedal. I'm not forcing the engine until at least 1,000 km to break in the new pistons and rings. The exhaust tailpipe used to build up carbon soot all around the opening and even in the surrounding area of the rear bumper. I cleaned it all up after the repair and I'm now expecting to see no more black buildup. I see other 09-12 TLs on the road and some of them have the buildup, others don't. I guess it is a crude way of diagnosing the oil consumption issue. Another symptom of stuck oil rings is premature fouling of spark plugs. In my car, they were in pretty bad shape after only 40,000 km, causing misfire counts of several hundred (read with an OBD reader) per 20-30 km drive cycle. In addition, heavy knocking was heard, especially when re-starting the engine after a short shutdown, like when stopping at a gas station. I imagine this reduced the engine performance as the ECU will automatically retard the ignition timing when knocking is detected by the knock sensor. There is zero misfires now that the spark plugs are new and there is no more oil in the combustion chamber. There is also no more knocking heard under any driving conditions.

The list of parts included in the warranty repair is shown below. It includes a timing belt. But the Acura service advisor recommended replacing the tensioner as well since they said it was leaking oil. I resisted initially because I had changed the timing belt, tensioner and water pump about 60,000 km earlier but then they convinced me and went for it.

Overall, I have to say, for a 9 year old car that runs like new, I'm very happy with Acura quality and support and I'm planning on continuing to use this brand.

Cheers to all.
you just answered a lot of questions on a whole different subject. The knocking after short turn off then drive again. So it was piston slap....Thank you!
Old 04-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First test after 995 miles revealed that engine lost 1.3 quarts. It was also initially overfilled. Service advisor tried to say, that it has burned less than a quart. I just made a post at the old thread about it. Will update on the progress.

Old 04-09-2019, 11:38 AM
10th Gear

Hi mrphilipanderson, you're welcome. I tried to be detailed in an attempt to help other members. I hope it does.
Regarding your comment, piston slap and knocking are two very different symptoms of engine problems. Knocking (aka detonation, pinging) is due to partial and premature ignition of the fuel mix, causing the rest of the mix in the combustion chamber to super-compress and ignite a bit later in the same compression cycle. The second ignition is more violent and causes the pinging sound, which is like the random pinging of steel balls falling on a hard surface. It damages the pistons as they are like hitting them with a hammer. A severe case of knocking can actually completely destroy a piston. Low grade fuel and fouled spark plugs are the most common causes of knocking. Piston slap, on the other hand, happens when the piston has slack in the cylinder due to excessive wear of the cylinder, piston or both. The engine sound it creates is less random, more regular and less sharp than knocking.
Old 04-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Cheers to all.
thanks for the detailed response and invoice. Interesting they replaced timing belt and spark plugs even though the updated fix/tsb doesn’t include those parts.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Would someone please private message me who has “failed” the test, I have a few questions. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Cheers to all.
How much did they charge for the tensioner? I'm thinking i may ask them to do that, the waterpump and oil pump seal while they're at it.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:35 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Teddybear
How much did they charge for the tensioner? I'm thinking i may ask them to do that, the waterpump and oil pump seal while they're at it.
The tensioner was just over $200 (Canadian dollars) for the part and 0.2 hours of labour. Ask the dealer for a discount on parts. They normally agree to a 10%, sometimes more.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:23 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cwh82
According to the new TSB 19-006, the Timing Belt isn't one of the new parts required for the fix. The Timing Belt was a part stated for TSB 18-009. Are we sure they going to replace the timing belt if your car is eligible for the fix?
According to the dealer, TSB 19-006 is the most updated - Feb 2019. This does not include the Timing Belt. Since I need a timing belt he said they can save me money on labor but parts are not included. The TSB from June 2018 is not longer used, even though that included the timing belt.

My car failed the consumption test today after about 1000 miles. I was told the expected oil consumption is about 1 quart per 3000 miles now from Acura, so anything less is a failure. However, they will have to schedule out for a few months due to the service department being busy. Said he can order the parts but will have to wait for service to have an opening.

I guess I am pleased, but would want the timing belt since it has to be removed anyway. Not sure why they are not replacing it but probably because the dealership can make some money if they have to charge you to replace it.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:42 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Thermoguy
According to the dealer, TSB 19-006 is the most updated - Feb 2019. This does not include the Timing Belt. Since I need a timing belt he said they can save me money on labor but parts are not included. The TSB from June 2018 is not longer used, even though that included the timing belt.

My car failed the consumption test today after about 1000 miles. I was told the expected oil consumption is about 1 quart per 3000 miles now from Acura, so anything less is a failure. However, they will have to schedule out for a few months due to the service department being busy. Said he can order the parts but will have to wait for service to have an opening.

I guess I am pleased, but would want the timing belt since it has to be removed anyway. Not sure why they are not replacing it but probably because the dealership can make some money if they have to charge you to replace it.
The dealer will most likely try to get you with something extra. If it isn't the timing belt, it'll be the tensioner, the water pump, spark plugs and bits of additional labor as applicable. Keep in mind you're saving a lot of money already in parts (pistons, rings, gaskets, etc) and many hours of labour and you will end up with an almost new engine. So, I guess, you have to pick your battles.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:41 PM
Instructor

The dealer will most likely try to get you with something extra. If it isn't the timing belt, it'll be the tensioner, the water pump, spark plugs and bits of additional labor as applicable. Keep in mind you're saving a lot of money already in parts (pistons, rings, gaskets, etc) and many hours of labour and you will end up with an almost new engine. So, I guess, you have to pick your battles.
Does this sound correct to others that have had the Timing Belt Replaced?

Timing Belt Kit (Includes Water Pump) - $530 aprox
Hydraulic Tensioner - $225 aprox
2 hours labor
total - $1031 or so

I didn't write down the prices they quoted me but this is approximate.

I guess that should be on a different thread...

To keep to the point - after my first test, my car consumed 1.8L of oil in about 1200 miles. They had no issue signing me up for a repair which is scheduled for the first week of July - earliest he could get me in. He had a whole book of appointments ahead of me. I did check the oil before leaving the dealership, not that it matters, but it was overfull... Seems to be a habit.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:05 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Does this sound correct to others that have had the Timing Belt Replaced?

Timing Belt Kit (Includes Water Pump) - $530 aprox
Hydraulic Tensioner - $225 aprox
2 hours labor
total - $1031 or so

This is a reason why I can't stand dealers. I was quoted by a local shop that is a Honda specialist, $1,100 parts/labor for the timing belt replacement. That included the water pump. The dealer is asking that same amount when they are going to be there anyways.

Last edited by dinot; 04-12-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:11 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I wouldn't call fixing a defective engine saving a lot of money.. It was their mistake.

The replacement parts do not equal a new engine by any stretch. Even a new shortbloack would not be a new engine. My engine has been woefully low on oil before this issue was discovered. What damage has been caused by that?
The heads are not being replaced or machined..If you got a new shortblock and machined heads, then I'd say you are getting a new engine. But just pistons is not close to a new engine.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:53 AM
10th Gear

Well, I meant saving money compared with paying out of pocket for this engine repair only. In the grand scheme of things, only time will tell whether or not this will have saved me money. The question is what will happen in another 150K or so. Will these rings build up carbon deposits again and cause the oil consumption to start all over? Did the new rings have a design change that prevents these deposits from forming? I read somewhere they modified the design of the oil rings to help prevent this problem. Only time will tell. In my case, I already knew the rest of the parts in the short block, the cylinder heads, rocker arm assembly, valve guides, etc., were all in good shape, as was the rest of the car (no rust, etc). I also think other car makers would not have responded the way Acura did if they had a similar problem (i.e. not safety related) with their products.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:56 AM
10th Gear

You can get after-market parts for just over half the price of the original Acura parts. Sometimes local shops use those parts. Maybe there's nothing wrong with them but, are you willing to risk it?
Old 04-12-2019, 08:02 AM
Subsonic

My dealer said that the timing belt and spark plugs are included in the fix. But if i wanted to change the waterpump and tensioner, i'd have to pay extra on top, and the labour was not covered, or subsidized. He ballparked those 2 items to be around $700 CAD for parts and labour.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:31 AM
Advanced

It's interesting that the fix in Canada includes timing belt and spark plugs and US fix doesn't include those parts. I haven't seen anyone in the US who's completed the fix confirm this but it's certainly looking that way. I asked my SA which parts are being replaced and he didn't even know. All he said was it varies by model and the invoice after completion will detail all parts.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:13 AM
Instructor

This is a link to the Oil Consumption TSB:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-006.PDF

The original TSB included the timing belt as they have to remove it anyway. If someone got theirs completed before February 2019 then it was the older TSB and a different parts list.

I'm not sure if it is different in Canada. Maybe it will change again before my service is done in July.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:14 PM
Cruisin'

This is a link to the Oil Consumption TSB:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-006.PDF

The original TSB included the timing belt as they have to remove it anyway. If someone got theirs completed before February 2019 then it was the older TSB and a different parts list.

I'm not sure if it is different in Canada. Maybe it will change again before my service is done in July.
Did you take your TL to Hinshaw's Acura? I got the recall notice as well and already made an appointment to bring my TL next week for oil consumption test. How was your overall experience dealing with them?

Thanks!
Old 04-12-2019, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ekisPinoy
Did you take your TL to Hinshaw's Acura? I got the recall notice as well and already made an appointment to bring my TL next week for oil consumption test. How was your overall experience dealing with them?

Thanks!
Yes - in Fife

They were fine to deal with. They did the oil change and told me to come back in 1000 miles. I was actually at about 1200 miles and there was very little oil on the dipstick. They easily scheduled the repair, but it's not until July due to how busy they are. I thought they would make me come back 2 or 3 times but they were easy. He actually said that Acura says anything less than 1 quart per 3000 miles is excessive.

ekisPinoy (04-15-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally Posted by Teddybear
My dealer said that the timing belt and spark plugs are included in the fix. But if i wanted to change the waterpump and tensioner, i'd have to pay extra on top, and the labour was not covered, or subsidized. He ballparked those 2 items to be around $700 CAD for parts and labour.
Watch from 39 seconds

Last edited by altair47; 04-12-2019 at 09:56 PM. Reason: 1
Old 04-13-2019, 10:18 AM
Instructor

^ - Great Video and very accurate!!

I was going try to look up the parts that are included in Acura's Timing Belt kit. Outside of the timing belt, water pump, I'm not sure what else is included. Does anyone know? I see you can buy an Acura Timing belt for about $80 from some dealers.

If the engine is already taken apart and the timing belt is already removed, there should be no labor to put a new one on. But, is the tensioner removed? Is the water pump removed? A couple hours labor seems excessive if these parts are already removed. It seems like an honest service department would only charge you for parts, but then you have to take into account that they have a huge mark up on parts. It would be great is someone had the Acura part numbers for these items. There is a couple places online to get parts at a discount. I have always purchased my air filters from Bernardi since they charge about half the price as the local dealer for the exact same part.

The service adviser did mention that coolant and some other fluids would be replaced as part of the engine repair so they would not charge me for that. But $1000 for this service seems high when the bulk of it is done. I'm starting to think that the prices he quoted me were the standard prices for the timing belt replacement, parts and labor.

Does anyone have any facts or part numbers I can research the actual part prices?

Thanks - don't want to sound cheap but hate getting ripped off by a dealer. It's not like they are doing the service for free, Acura is paying them to replace the engine parts as part of the recall...
Old 04-13-2019, 08:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I was going try to look up the parts that are included in Acura's Timing Belt kit. Outside of the timing belt, water pump, I'm not sure what else is included. Does anyone know? I see you can buy an Acura Timing belt for about $80 from some dealers.

If the engine is already taken apart and the timing belt is already removed, there should be no labor to put a new one on. But, is the tensioner removed? Is the water pump removed? A couple hours labor seems excessive if these parts are already removed. It seems like an honest service department would only charge you for parts, but then you have to take into account that they have a huge mark up on parts. It would be great is someone had the Acura part numbers for these items. There is a couple places online to get parts at a discount. I have always purchased my air filters from Bernardi since they charge about half the price as the local dealer for the exact same part.

The service adviser did mention that coolant and some other fluids would be replaced as part of the engine repair so they would not charge me for that. But $1000 for this service seems high when the bulk of it is done. I'm starting to think that the prices he quoted me were the standard prices for the timing belt replacement, parts and labor.

Does anyone have any facts or part numbers I can research the actual part prices?

Thanks - don't want to sound cheap but hate getting ripped off by a dealer. It's not like they are doing the service for free, Acura is paying them to replace the engine parts as part of the recall...
I love Honda because it's like a Lego, you can always go to the web site and find any nut and bolt separately. This is not Toyota where you need to call the dealer only. For search parts i use https://acura.bernardiparts.com/, it is very convenient enter the year, model, pakage, engine parts

Last edited by altair47; 04-13-2019 at 08:47 PM. Reason: ,
Old 04-14-2019, 02:27 PM
Pro

its time to have a conversation with the service dept manager. Explain to them your plight and ask why your being charged for labor that’s non existent.
if you’re nice about but assertive he or she should understand and charge for parts only. Or at least a significantly reduced price. Call and directly ask to speak with a service a manger.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:37 PM
10th Gear

The oil consumption repair requires the removal of the timing belt but not the tensioner or water pump. So it's unfair for the dealer to charge labour to change the timing belt if you decide to put a new one. However it is not unfair for them to quote additional labour to replace the tensioner and the water pump. I have personally replaced the timing belt in the past, including tensioner and water pump, so I have an idea how much labour is involved in each. A couple of hours of additional labor for tensioner and water pump sounds excessive to me. I would fight it.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:25 PM
8th Gear

Hi all, I'm new here, have read the thread and am looking for some guidance. I bought a one owner 2014 SHAWD 6MT in December with 24k. The previous owner changed oil regularly at the dealer and did not report any excessive consumption, but he also was not aware of the issue. I have put 1.5k on it since then. It does not appear to be burning much oil if any. My question is how to go about this? I need to contact Acura to make sure I am registered as the new owner. Do I wait for a letter before finding a good dealer in MN or can I just bring in the TSB? It is not due yet for a change. Should I bring it in anyway to get the ball rolling? I don't plan on driving it much so it may take a while to get to the 3k to finish the test. From what I understand, they will fix all cars until September of this year. Since mine is a 2014, I still have a couple years right? Just wondering what sort of urgency I should put on this. Any advice would be helpful, thanks!
Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

What do you mean regularly? If the previous owner changed the oil every 5 thousand and it was a good oil, then you probably have no problem of consumption.Here are the people who changed the oil on the indicator oil life (7000-10000mile)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 AM
Subsonic

Originally Posted by altair47
Watch from 39 seconds https://youtu.be/660dJbO076k?t=39
Don't get me wrong, i totally know the stealership is trying to charge me extra when the time comes. I'll push back for sure when my car fails.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Chris Carman
Hi all, I'm new here, have read the thread and am looking for some guidance. I bought a one owner 2014 SHAWD 6MT in December with 24k. The previous owner changed oil regularly at the dealer and did not report any excessive consumption, but he also was not aware of the issue. I have put 1.5k on it since then. It does not appear to be burning much oil if any. My question is how to go about this? I need to contact Acura to make sure I am registered as the new owner. Do I wait for a letter before finding a good dealer in MN or can I just bring in the TSB? It is not due yet for a change. Should I bring it in anyway to get the ball rolling? I don't plan on driving it much so it may take a while to get to the 3k to finish the test. From what I understand, they will fix all cars until September of this year. Since mine is a 2014, I still have a couple years right? Just wondering what sort of urgency I should put on this. Any advice would be helpful, thanks!
My car did not start using oil until about 80K miles. The dealer never suggested that the car was using oil or that I ever came in with low oil - they don't check the oil before draining it. Also, at some point when I noticed the car was using oil and they told me 1 quart per 1000 miles was normal they also told me not to use the MID for oil changes and that the oil should be changed every 3500 miles. At that point I was very consistent to have the oil changed every 3500 miles or there about. People going 7000 miles is way more than the dealership would recommend. I would recommend to everyone that they check the oil every time they get fuel. Just good practice.

Something else I have been curious about, how many people religiously use premium gas in their cars? I have been using premium since day 1. The manual suggests 91 octane gas, but I am guessing as these cars get older and people are buying used TL's, they stop using premium. Obviously this has noting to do with the car using oil, just curious as I read threads where people have complaints about engine issues.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:28 AM
6th Gear

Thermoguy, for what it's worth, I've always put premium in my Acuras, all of which except a 2003 CL Type-S I've bought used.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 AM
6th Gear

Acura may be working their way up to your 2014. I owned a 2012 TL SW-AWD 6MT and got a letter in February, although I never experienced the oil consumption issue.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM
8th Gear

Talked to Acura today and they said I have until September 2021 or 125k so I should just monitor it until I see excessive consumption. Thanks for the replies!
Old 04-16-2019, 01:50 PM
Advanced

I was originally scheduled to bring my car in for fix yesterday but the SA called and said the car before mine still hasn't completed yet and now one of the parts won't be here until mid May. I guess it's comforting to know mine isn't the first one this dealership has done the fix. Anybody here get the fix done at Springfield Acura in NJ?
Old 04-17-2019, 07:53 AM
Subsonic

My TL officially failed the test. Service Manager did my last check. I asked him if they would charge the full set labour on top of the warranty repair if I opted for the tensioner and water pump, he said no. They would only charge the additional hour or so. He suspects the parts will take a week or so to come in.
digibrain (04-17-2019)

Quick Reply: Acura's Response to Excessive Oil Consumption