2012 TL Tech - Windshield/Roof Trim(Chrome)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 08:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 TL Tech - Windshield/Roof Trim(Chrome)

Hey all,

Very new to Acura(just bought my first one and I love it) and new to these forums.
I got a black ext and black int 2012 TL Tech package with 97k miles. All is in good condition.
EXCEPT two things.

1. The Chrome trim that goes from the bottom of the windshield, allll the way across the roof to about midway through the rear door(no idea what this is called or how to find the replacement) but its peeling up the rubber sides of it majority of the way through. especially on the windshield portion.
Where can i find the replacement part for these. Its on both sides. and what are they called?! lol
&
2. I've got that "Battery Charge Low" on my MID and nav screens. had the battery checked and the alternator and the battery are pushing proper voltage. So I think I've heard this may be a bug that requires a software update?
How would I get that or is there a way i can fix this error message myself?

Any and all comments would help. I'm very new to this but I've been a huge acura fan for years. So glad I finally got my hands on one.

Thank you all!
Old 11-14-2019, 10:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also have a 2012 TL and have the same rubber peeling issue at the front windshield and rear windshield, so you're not alone, though mine does not sound quite as bad as yours. They were making an annoying flapping sound in the wind when driving around, and when trying to squish it back in didnt stop that, I tied a knot for the extra thickness and stuffed it back in.

They're called windshield dams, and they're supposed to prevent dirt from getting in the crevice where the rubber strip is. Interestingly enough, I noticed that the TLX's don't have these dams.

You're going to have to do some exploring around on some Acura OEM parts websites to find the one's you're looking for, but see the link below for the name of the part at least.
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2012...ont-windshield
Old 11-14-2019, 11:25 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 4gBWP
I also have a 2012 TL and have the same rubber peeling issue at the front windshield and rear windshield, so you're not alone, though mine does not sound quite as bad as yours. They were making an annoying flapping sound in the wind when driving around, and when trying to squish it back in didnt stop that, I tied a knot for the extra thickness and stuffed it back in.

They're called windshield dams, and they're supposed to prevent dirt from getting in the crevice where the rubber strip is. Interestingly enough, I noticed that the TLX's don't have these dams.

You're going to have to do some exploring around on some Acura OEM parts websites to find the one's you're looking for, but see the link below for the name of the part at least.
https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2012...ont-windshield
Hey thanks for your reply, I'm not quite sure if that's the exact part I'm talking about but I think you're close!
I'll attach a photo, and yes, mine is making noise in the wind too, kinda annoying!

it's the same part that goes all the way across the roof on both sides until about mid way through the rear door, then another similar seperate piece continues down the rear windshield.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:40 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
here you go

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-p...cement-980966/
The following 3 users liked this post by dopeboy1:
bluetl04 (11-30-2019), Messiket (11-14-2019), Riboflavin (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:44 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
That's the one!!
Thank you very much!
Y'all acura supporters are fantastic
Old 11-14-2019, 01:45 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by dopeboy1
I hope it comes in chrome!
Old 11-14-2019, 04:57 PM
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts
It does. It's all just one piece, the chrome trim and the rubber underneath.

If you're going to go the OEM replacement route, like I mentioned in the DIY, I'd suggest picking them up from the dealership in person since the boxes ended up so large that the cost of shipping would have been similar to the cost of the parts themselves.

And if they're too expensive for you, some people have just used a tube of black silicone adhesive to fill in the gaps where the old rubber broke away, but I don't know how well that'll hold up in the future (especially if you have to pull the trim back off for a windshield replacement).
Old 11-15-2019, 08:21 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Riboflavin

If you're going to go the OEM replacement route, like I mentioned in the DIY, I'd suggest picking them up from the dealership in person since the boxes ended up so large that the cost of shipping would have been similar to the cost of the parts themselves.

And if they're too expensive for you, some people have just used a tube of black silicone adhesive to fill in the gaps where the old rubber broke away, but I don't know how well that'll hold up in the future (especially if you have to pull the trim back off for a windshield replacement).
You are awesome. Thank you very much!!
Old 11-15-2019, 08:37 AM
10th Gear

In the OEM kit. Is the rubber on that self adhesive or do you know how that works?
Old 11-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Messiket
In the OEM kit. Is the rubber on that self adhesive or do you know how that works?
What do you mean by self adhesive?

If you're referring to the construction of the whole OEM trim piece, the rubber and the chrome trim seem glued/attached together from the factory, and can't be easily pulled apart.

If you're referring to how the whole trim piece mounts to the car, the rubber doesn't adhere to anything. There are plastic and metal clips along the A-pillar and roof that whole the whole trim in place, and the rubber is large enough that it holds in place between all of the gaps to keep water out.
The following users liked this post:
Messiket (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 12:12 PM
10th Gear

What do you mean by self adhesive?

If you're referring to the construction of the whole OEM trim piece, the rubber and the chrome trim seem glued/attached together from the factory, and can't be easily pulled apart.

If you're referring to how the whole trim piece mounts to the car, the rubber doesn't adhere to anything. There are plastic and metal clips along the A-pillar and roof that whole the whole trim in place, and the rubber is large enough that it holds in place between all of the gaps to keep water out.
I guess I'm not too sure how its put together so I dont quite know. If you see the photo I attached earlier in the thread, that loose rubber that disconnected is what I'm trying to avoid having again. Flaps around in the wind and is quite annoying
Old 11-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Your options are to cut it off and ignore it. Or replace it. Dealer will want about $500 (or more) to replace it. It's not trivial and when they replaced mine they broke the glass.

David
Old 11-15-2019, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Messiket
I guess I'm not too sure how its put together so I dont quite know. If you see the photo I attached earlier in the thread, that loose rubber that disconnected is what I'm trying to avoid having again. Flaps around in the wind and is quite annoying
Oh yeah, that's exactly what mine did, flapped in the wind and annoyed the hell out of me. If you want to replace that broken rubber, the OEM replacement includes the long chrome trim piece and the rubber already attached. You can't buy the rubber separately.

Replacement took me about an hour for both sides and wasn't too bad if you have the plastic trim removal tools. Read through the DIY linked above and you could easily do it yourself.
The following users liked this post:
Messiket (11-15-2019)
Old 11-15-2019, 03:27 PM
10th Gear

Oh yeah, that's exactly what mine did, flapped in the wind and annoyed the hell out of me. If you want to replace that broken rubber, the OEM replacement includes the long chrome trim piece and the rubber already attached. You can't buy the rubber separately.

Replacement took me about an hour for both sides and wasn't too bad if you have the plastic trim removal tools. Read through the DIY linked above and you could easily do it yourself.
Absolutely will do, thanks for all your help mate. You're spot on!