Repeated issues with 2022 MDX Advance

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 08:32 AM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Repeated issues with 2022 MDX Advance

I purchased my fourth Acura (third MDX) this past June and traded in my 2016 for the 2022 Advance. Since I now work from home, I don’t drive it much, but love it when I do. However, 6 months into it, I only have 1,818 miles on it because it’s been back to the dealership twice.

After the first couple of month, the moonroof motor gave out and had to be replaced, and due to supply chain issues they had it for nearly a month. And just over a week ago, I put it in reverse to back it into the garage and it had a nervous breakdown- everything shut down: power steering, all wheel drive, collision mitigation, etc, and had to get to towed back the dealer.

they are no telling me the power steering console shorted and they need to replace it - and ot course they won’t receive the part for another four weeks.

I’ve never had issues like this with any of my other three acuras or two Hondas. I called Acura corporate yesterday to open a case claim and waiting to hear back. But I would expect this for any new car, let alone a $65k one.

is anyone else having issues with their 2022 models?
Old 12-17-2021, 10:01 AM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
MODERATOR NOTE: Moved to model specific forum.
Old 12-17-2021, 10:45 AM
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 98 Posts
Sounds complicated, and not normal, especially with electrical issues.

Given the number of days out of service, you should start a BBB AutoLine claim for lemon law, as it will help speed the process. Days out of service vs. number of times in, that is worth doing.

https://www.auto.bbbnp.org/lemon-law-complaint-form/

Not normal, and vs. just waiting for corporate feedback, and no lawyer needed, start the process with BBB. I did over a decade ago with similar issues on a GM vehicle, and it sped everything along to "final repair attempt" and buyback, quickly.
The following 2 users liked this post by beach109:
Boomer1972O (12-19-2021), ESHBG (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 05:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer1972O
I purchased my fourth Acura (third MDX) this past June and traded in my 2016 for the 2022 Advance. Since I now work from home, I don’t drive it much, but love it when I do. However, 6 months into it, I only have 1,818 miles on it because it’s been back to the dealership twice.

After the first couple of month, the moonroof motor gave out and had to be replaced, and due to supply chain issues they had it for nearly a month. And just over a week ago, I put it in reverse to back it into the garage and it had a nervous breakdown- everything shut down: power steering, all wheel drive, collision mitigation, etc, and had to get to towed back the dealer.

they are no telling me the power steering console shorted and they need to replace it - and ot course they won’t receive the part for another four weeks.

I’ve never had issues like this with any of my other three acuras or two Hondas. I called Acura corporate yesterday to open a case claim and waiting to hear back. But I would expect this for any new car, let alone a $65k one.

You're lucky, my TSX was a nightmare during the first few years of ownership.

I'm sorry to hear this and for this type of money you do expect a lot more and the inconvenience is extremely annoying.
The following users liked this post:
Boomer1972O (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 05:16 AM
Pro

Received 130 Likes on 95 Posts

Geez, that's unnerving and not acceptable. No issues here. Are they giving you an Acura loaner?
Boomer1972O (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 04:30 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, I have an ILX loaner. The dealer sold off all of their MDX loaners. I’m grateful to have the loaner, but a bit of a challenge to go from the space of an MDX to an ILX when you’re married and have two dogs!
Old 12-20-2021, 09:33 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Seems Lomon law can be useful if you qualify in your state.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:05 AM
Pro

Yes, I have an ILX loaner. The dealer sold off all of their MDX loaners. I’m grateful to have the loaner, but a bit of a challenge to go from the space of an MDX to an ILX when you’re married and have two dogs!
They should be able to get you into an RDX. My dealer has RDX loaners.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:18 AM
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Had something similar happen to me. I've posted this in another MDX forum:
Was backing up casually when the steering wheel suddenly locked and a bunch of error messages started appearing. Car towed to the dealership with Acura Roadside Assistance, sat there through the holiday, and today I got a call saying that an 80 amp multifuse blew.

They expect the fuse in tomorrow, then I guess they'll check out all systems.
I'm over it. This, the crap tires and replacements I had to pay out of pocket for, the messed up HUD, and the really, really shitty client support through all this.
(Had steering wheel shake from the start, went back and forth two two dealers, went to an independent wheel shop many dealers here use and they tried to road force balance then force match the tires. They noticed the tires were all out of spec and had uneven/wobbly sidewalls, notable from just spinning the wheels while the car was on the lift! Replaced all tires with Primacy Tour A/S. Another issue: crooked and distorted HUD, which a regional tech noted but ultimately decided that replacing it might not fix it. These issues were acknowledged by the two dealership's own techs, and they, as well as Acura, had the gall to tell me everything was in spec. As if I haven't driven another car before, or bought a new one, or ever had my tires/wheels balanced!)

There were no accessories plugged in, and my phone was in my coat pocket. Seat warmers weren't on, it was surprisingly nice outside.
Dealer said "80" amps. Part was not in stock. They said that everything else checked out. No cause specified.
Imagine if this happened on the highway! I've driven cars without power steering, and I'm sure that aspect would be fine, but I'd have no confidence in the car with all those error messages.
(There are more error messages than what's attached.)

pilozm (10-03-2022)
Old 12-29-2021, 10:03 AM
10th Gear

Update: got off the phone with Acura Client Relations, and a case manager is to get back to me within two weeks regarding return of the car.
Old 12-29-2021, 09:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Repeated issues..

Originally Posted by LP4242
Update: got off the phone with Acura Client Relations, and a case manager is to get back to me within two weeks regarding return of the car.
Wow, sorry to hear about all the issues but glad to hear things maybe working out with a buy-back.

Would you be able to share when you purchased or the build date of the vehicle? Whenever I hear stories like these I can't help but wonder if it was a set of early production issues or tied to a specific timeframe.
Old 12-29-2021, 11:35 PM
10th Gear

I got this at the end of June. Is there an easy way to find out the build date?

As another update, the rep told me that if I don't pick the car up, the dealer may charge storage fees. Towing would be out of pocket.
Nice.
pilozm (10-03-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 05:57 AM
10th Gear

Welp, looks like someone else here had the same problem:
"Update on the power steering failure. The dealership ordered the part which consists of the rack & pinion assembly as well as the electric motor. It was supposed to arrive 2 days ago on 10/20 but that's been pushed out to Nov 5th, so if it's not delayed again I'll have been without the car for 9 weeks, which is more time than I had it. The dealer did give me a loaner MDX which is great, but I got to the point where I said I want either a new car or my money back."

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-mdx-...s-down-995778/
pilozm (10-03-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 07:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

As another update, the rep told me that if I don't pick the car up, the dealer may charge storage fees. Towing would be out of pocket.
Nice.
I thought there was a way to tell via the VIN decoder, but does not appear to show dates - VIN_Decoder
(at least for the VIN I tried)

But end of June is helpful.. considering they are selling pretty quickly it was likely manufactured mid/late May. So three to four months into the models manufacturing, probably right around the time they scale volume...? speculating of course, wonder if others experiencing similar also come from that time frame. You would think Acura would be clamoring to get the vehicle into autopsy.

The treatment you have experienced is inexcusable for a alleged luxury brand.
Old 12-30-2021, 08:33 AM
Pro

Thanks for sharing this! Wow!
Old 12-30-2021, 08:36 AM
Pro

Nice.
Build date should be on the tag in the door frame when you open the driver's door. That's where it is in Canada.
Esym (01-01-2022)
Old 12-30-2021, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Welp, looks like someone else here had the same problem:
"Update on the power steering failure. The dealership ordered the part which consists of the rack & pinion assembly as well as the electric motor. It was supposed to arrive 2 days ago on 10/20 but that's been pushed out to Nov 5th, so if it's not delayed again I'll have been without the car for 9 weeks, which is more time than I had it. The dealer did give me a loaner MDX which is great, but I got to the point where I said I want either a new car or my money back."

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-mdx-...s-down-995778/
I laugh everytime someone on AZ mentions "Acura reliability". This goes way beyond new gen issues, no?
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
Acurafangrl (11-02-2022), ESHBG (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 10:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 350 Posts
I hate seeing things like this, as there is nothing like paying big $ for a vehicle and being excited but that getting quickly dashed by issue after issue. And then getting jerked around by Acura, who sometimes really do seem to go out of their way to make experiences even more painful. Honda is the same way, I have a few horror stories from them and it was shocking to see how little they cared about doing the right thing. Nissan did very well, though, and that was refreshing.

Originally Posted by ELIN
I laugh everytime someone on AZ mentions "Acura reliability". This goes way beyond new gen issues, no?
Yeah my 2nd gen. TSX was a nightmare during the first few years of ownership and a completely different experience than the prior gen. TSX that was in my household, which was painless to own.
ELIN (12-30-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 01:45 PM
10th Gear

To be fair, the other Acuras I've owned had no issues at all, apart from some motor mount issues with an RSX years ago. The last MDX I owned was bulletproof, which was one of the reasons why I got this one.

When I get to my car I'll check the build date in the door jamb.
The following 2 users liked this post by LP4242:
ESHBG (12-31-2021), pilozm (10-03-2022)
Old 09-28-2022, 07:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up my 2023 MDX AWD TECH a month ago and have 800 miles. I have air in my brake lines. Pedal sank almost to the floor. Also my power steering is over boosted, even in sport setting. In comparison to the same model loaner, the steering feel on my car feels like it's connected to nothing. Also having parking sensor issues. This is my 4th MDX. The quality and design has gone down the drain. The rear seat is a horrible design for Acura to cut corners and not offer choice of seating. This will probably be my last Acura.
The following 2 users liked this post by mjkusa:
Acurafangrl (11-02-2022), pilozm (10-03-2022)
Old 09-29-2022, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bro look up lemon laws in your state. Sounds like a lemon to me.