What is with this stretching tires trend...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:24 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by rodneyc77
lol...

I can see the owner salivating over how good this looks.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 261 Posts
Even the Europeans are doing this tire stretch stuff....

Old 08-21-2009, 08:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Old thread. And I believe the whole stretched look came from the vdubs anyway, so we got it from them.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Old 08-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ u should talk when u have rims.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:15 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

^^Ohh i'm sorry, i didn't know rims was a prerequisite for posts....:tonguefaw
Old 08-21-2009, 10:43 PM
10th Gear

princelybug i think ur setup is just as clean and much better performance wise. its also very similar to what i want to do to my Tl at some point. but its just another example of how its all your opinion and that's what's great about this culture
Old 08-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by PagnasTL
Do you have aftermarket wheels? Let's see them.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:09 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
this is how a real man stretches tires lol

IMG_0032r.jpg?t=1248836442
Old 08-28-2009, 05:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
wow what's with the attitude? hahaha

poke/stretch all the way yo
Old 08-28-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I'm a fan of VIP but this is way too much

it looks like the rims are doing their best impression of goatse
Old 10-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by wrxyboy
this is how a real man stretches tires lol

might as well throw another tire on that and get twice the traction
Old 10-06-2009, 07:59 PM
10th Gear

I guess it's due to my domestic car background, but I think the stretched tire look is God awful. I truly don't understand the point of wide rims if only 90% of the rim is actually covered in tire. You may as well put a 3 foot tall wing on the back of your TL.

That car in post number 28 is right on the money with the wheel/tire combo.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:42 PM
Nikon Neck Beard Krew

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisUGA
it's due to my domestic car background
Answered your own question. Move on with this, you're only gonna create arguments on this subject....again....and again....and again....and again.

No ones making you run a car this way, so just let it be.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:19 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Audioserf
On a daily-driven car, I think it's retarded for all of the reasons you listed... just like putting staggered wheels on a FWD vehicle.

On a show-car, anything goes, and it can look good.

actually, the fwd staggered look is not limited to just aesthetics, albeit fwd owners do it just for the looks.

Very few realize this (even those that sport this look) but, a great benefit from having wider wheels in the back of fwd cars is that it drastically reduces hydroplaning during the rainy season. The rationale behind this is that the bigger surface area actually gives the rear tires more grip than the front that it prevents the rear from swaying out of control. In fact, a wider rear stance and a more narrow front set up geometrically gives an arrow head dimension to your car that forces it to move forward straight front first rather than in a random spin.

So one could say that even though the staggered FWD may not offer any racing advantages, it surely gives you a safety benefit.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by economods
actually, the fwd staggered look is not limited to just aesthetics, albeit fwd owners do it just for the looks.

Very few realize this (even those that sport this look) but, a great benefit from having wider wheels in the back of fwd cars is that it drastically reduces hydroplaning during the rainy season. The rationale behind this is that the bigger surface area actually gives the rear tires more grip than the front that it prevents the rear from swaying out of control. In fact, a wider rear stance and a more narrow front set up geometrically gives an arrow head dimension to your car that forces it to move forward straight front first rather than in a random spin.

So one could say that even though the staggered FWD may not offer any racing advantages, it surely gives you a safety benefit.
I know you're new here but this is not correct. Wider tires on any car will hydroplane easier. I'm not sure if you're trying to say the wider rear tires will cause the rear to drag the car straight but in reality this does not happen.

Wider tires on a dry surface will give it less understeer or more oversteer depending on the starting condition.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I know you're new here but this is not correct. Wider tires on any car will hydroplane easier. I'm not sure if you're trying to say the wider rear tires will cause the rear to drag the car straight but in reality this does not happen.

Wider tires on a dry surface will give it less understeer or more oversteer depending on the starting condition.
+1 ^^More tire on the road when it is wet with snow or water only means that the water has to travel futher to get away from the tire. The more narrow the tire, the less time water spends under the tire. For mud and sand (obviously on a off road vehicle) you would need a wider tire to displace the weight of the vehicle better so it doesn't "sink" as much...
Old 03-06-2010, 02:35 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by sherker55
+1 ^^More tire on the road when it is wet with snow or water only means that the water has to travel futher to get away from the tire. The more narrow the tire, the less time water spends under the tire. For mud and sand (obviously on a off road vehicle) you would need a wider tire to displace the weight of the vehicle better so it doesn't "sink" as much...
I would agree with you guys because your theory sounds really logical but I've tried it out for myself and the difference that running wider tires in the back makes is really night and day. On even sized tires, when I would punch the gas pulling out of a parking lot I always ended up driving in almost a circle but with the wider tires I would always actually go where I pointed the front tires. I have even tried going 15-25mph on full throttle on an elbow turn on an intersection on a rainy day and it was point and shoot (can you imagine that? pretty stupid huh? Just wanted to do it again to double check the theory). That's the main reason I have kept the staggered set up despite the fact that it is a bummer when it comes to tire rotation.

If it's not the wider surface area that gives this effect then it's probably the arrow head or shuttle cock effect (badminton ball thingy) that does it.

I would say the combination of staggered tires and fwd has a totally different effect in wet conditions than staggered rwd cars...
Old 03-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by economods
I would agree with you guys because your theory sounds really logical but I've tried it out for myself and the difference that running wider tires in the back makes is really night and day. On even sized tires, when I would punch the gas pulling out of a parking lot I always ended up driving in almost a circle but with the wider tires I would always actually go where I pointed the front tires. I have even tried going 15-25mph on full throttle on an elbow turn on an intersection on a rainy day and it was point and shoot (can you imagine that? pretty stupid huh? Just wanted to do it again to double check the theory). That's the main reason I have kept the staggered set up despite the fact that it is a bummer when it comes to tire rotation.

If it's not the wider surface area that gives this effect then it's probably the arrow head or shuttle cock effect (badminton ball thingy) that does it.

I would say the combination of staggered tires and fwd has a totally different effect in wet conditions than staggered rwd cars...
Wider tires are still better in the rain up to the point of hydroplaning. If you saw better results with the wide tires it was due to a different tread/compound or the water wasn't deep enough to cause hydroplaning.

Wider tires will always hydroplane easier.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:52 AM
3rd Gear

Wider tires are still better in the rain up to the point of hydroplaning. If you saw better results with the wide tires it was due to a different tread/compound or the water wasn't deep enough to cause hydroplaning.

Wider tires will always hydroplane easier.

Im sure that's true when all four tires are wide and the same size since it's a moving square rather than a slight triangle.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread=TOooOOo funny.
everyones got an opinion, everyones got there own taste. Its simple. modding a car=not safe in most cases. you turbo your honda civic.. it could blow up and cause potential damage to you or others around you, you put crazy wheels on your lexus.. it could fall off and cause damage to you or other around you? the 1980's VW rabbit driving next to you with no suspension and their lugnuts installed improperly could fall apart and damge you or others around you? f*** get over it.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Too Fast TOO FURIOUS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stretch mark FTW!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:52 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by odishaw
This thread=TOooOOo funny.
everyones got an opinion, everyones got there own taste. Its simple. modding a car=not safe in most cases. you turbo your honda civic.. it could blow up and cause potential damage to you or others around you, you put crazy wheels on your lexus.. it could fall off and cause damage to you or other around you? the 1980's VW rabbit driving next to you with no suspension and their lugnuts installed improperly could fall apart and damge you or others around you? f*** get over it.
There's a difference.

A tire failure is about the most serious failure you can have in terms of safety. Why would you put something that increases the likelyhood of failure?

Adding power is different. You control it with your right foot. You can turn it on and off. It's not going to randomly happen.

Comparing a car with no suspension and improperly torqued lugnuts might be a good comparison to stretched tires except one is caused willingly by the owner while the other is likely due to lack of money.

My car has lots of suspension work, sticky tires, and 13" brakes. It's modded and I consider it safer than stock so modding does not automatically make a car more unsafe, the driver makes the car more unsafe.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sure fair enough, i wont argue your response.. but wheres the proof that putting a setup on your car like discussed in the thread, DOES or HAS made the road a more unsafe place? i wanna see if someones "vip stlye" setup driving down the road as a daily driver has even caused or had a problem? all the photos posted of a wheel where the tire has come off the bead look like drift cars. im not certain since i havnt been on the forum for long, but have any local guys of the forum had it happen? not tying to get myself flammed on the thread or cuase a stink, im slightly interested since i myself has ordered 19x9.5 +22 Ce's all around...
Old 03-07-2010, 05:49 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
I love how almost all of the posts with grammar mistakes are posted by those who favor the stretched tire look.

heh.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:53 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts
Stretched tires and cross drilled brake rotors.
Love the look. Love my life more.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
There's a difference.

A tire failure is about the most serious failure you can have in terms of safety. Why would you put something that increases the likelyhood of failure?

Adding power is different. You control it with your right foot. You can turn it on and off. It's not going to randomly happen.

Comparing a car with no suspension and improperly torqued lugnuts might be a good comparison to stretched tires except one is caused willingly by the owner while the other is likely due to lack of money.

My car has lots of suspension work, sticky tires, and 13" brakes. It's modded and I consider it safer than stock so modding does not automatically make a car more unsafe, the driver makes the car more unsafe.
Well said. IMO, if it reduces the drivability of the car, what's the point?
Old 03-07-2010, 09:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by odishaw
sure fair enough, i wont argue your response.. but wheres the proof that putting a setup on your car like discussed in the thread, DOES or HAS made the road a more unsafe place? i wanna see if someones "vip stlye" setup driving down the road as a daily driver has even caused or had a problem? all the photos posted of a wheel where the tire has come off the bead look like drift cars. im not certain since i havnt been on the forum for long, but have any local guys of the forum had it happen? not tying to get myself flammed on the thread or cuase a stink, im slightly interested since i myself has ordered 19x9.5 +22 Ce's all around...
You're not going to have much of a problem with a sensible stretch. IMO, the TL in stock form looks a little stretched to me but I come from a different crowd. I've seen numerous pictures of stretched tire failures especially in the VW forums but again they tended to really push the envelope.

We have different opinions of what looks good obviously but that's fine as long as they're no safety issues. I'm running a 255 on the stock 8" rims which have a very slight bulge that several members discourage but my experience has shown absolutely no issues under race conditions in many different cars.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by lumyeinjun
I love how almost all of the posts with grammar mistakes are posted by those who favor the stretched tire look.

heh.

its the intranet, who gives a faq
Old 03-08-2010, 12:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

heh.

A pretty useless observation, I must say.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
werd to dat, G!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:37 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts

heh.
lol!

I was just remembering this thread and how I was also a nay-sayer........Now what do I do? I have stretched tires on my car, hehe. It's not an extreme stretch but a light to moderate one.

I must say from personal experience in terms of ride quality the car rides just fine, actually smoother than you'd expect. Handling is not altered during normal driving either. I do NOT do any hard or aggressive turns and I wouldn't try it. That is just stupid and asking for it. You really have to watch the deep potholes too. I hit a couple of them with a BAM! I was scared but found zero damage.

Stretching the tires is just for looks, and it should be installed on a car you'd not want to race. I drive like a grandma on NY streets, there is no choice. I don't mind though. But during evasive maneuvers there didn't seem to be any problem at all.

So bottomline, it is not exactly a sensible mod but it is not truly dangerous in my opinion either. Yes I changed my mind. It goes to prove what I see on this forum again and again; you don't know till you try it.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 AM
boost 3G

heh.
heh. your an idiot

Originally Posted by rockyfeller
lol!

I was just remembering this thread and how I was also a nay-sayer........Now what do I do? I have stretched tires on my car, hehe. It's not an extreme stretch but a light to moderate one.

I must say from personal experience in terms of ride quality the car rides just fine, actually smoother than you'd expect. Handling is not altered during normal driving either. I do NOT do any hard or aggressive turns and I wouldn't try it. That is just stupid and asking for it. You really have to watch the deep potholes too. I hit a couple of them with a BAM! I was scared but found zero damage.

Stretching the tires is just for looks, and it should be installed on a car you'd not want to race. I drive like a grandma on NY streets, there is no choice. I don't mind though. But during evasive maneuvers there didn't seem to be any problem at all.

So bottomline, it is not exactly a sensible mod but it is not truly dangerous in my opinion either. Yes I changed my mind. It goes to prove what I see on this forum again and again; you don't know till you try it.
+1 well put
Old 06-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Racer

i havent read this entire post but i wanted to put my .02 in. i have 18x9s on my tl with 235-40-R18s stretched over them. i agree with most when i see the goofy half inch rim sticking out of a car but i can speak on behalf of my setup. i feel in no way endangered with what i have going. the ride is just as good if not better then the stock 17s ( probably because of the BF Goodrick Sport A/S tires with speed rating 90W**) anyways i have successfully hit 137mph (and dont worry family guys it was a clear highway) and felt no sign of failure. i guess u dont see failure til ur in the ditch upside-down though.

heres my wheels, tell me if yall think this is still too much stretch!

Name:  Acura.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  26.5 KB

Name:  acuraotherside.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  142.0 KB

Name:  acuratire.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  96.3 KB

Name:  acuraback.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  123.7 KB
Old 06-10-2010, 10:21 PM
MAS
Three Wheelin'

Red face

It starts like this:

Which usually evolves into this:

Which can sometimes lead to one or both of these:

Old 06-11-2010, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
NEWFRITO11: what wheels are those and what is the offset. Do they clear big brakes? They look nice on your car and I love the concave look of them. Now you need to drop the car
Old 06-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Thread killer//

Originally Posted by MAS
It starts like this:

OMG i lol'd
Old 06-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by myron
NEWFRITO11: what wheels are those and what is the offset. Do they clear big brakes? They look nice on your car and I love the concave look of them. Now you need to drop the car

im not much to follow the trend of buying from a company that sells to every freakin owner of the same car. therefore i am different. they are infact 2010 gt500 wheels. machined black. 18x9 with 235 40 r18 on them. i believe offset is 40mm but could be wrong. no spacers are needed and they clear base breaks as well as brembos. believe me the front will be lower. as you can tell they have that massive svt cobra stance like it is ready to pounce. the tire size and wheel complement each other very well. i highly recommend them.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Racer

and also thank you for the compliment. i appreciate the fact that my style is enjoyed. heres a picture giving you a visual of the offset in the wheels.

Name:  DSCF3469profile.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  122.6 KB
Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Racer

what size of brakes are you running? as long as the brakes you are running are 15 inches in diameter or smaller you will be fine. the diameter of the inside of wheel is 15.5 inches

here is a shot of the front brakes that are standard size. sorry for bad shot but i took picture upon this question.

Name:  DSCF3486profile.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  55.6 KB

Quick Reply: What is with this stretching tires trend...?