What is with this stretching tires trend...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts
ill agree that i dont really understand stretching tires onto a 1 pc track wheel. However, my agreement stops there. The TL is not a track car, it is not a performance car, it is not a fast car. It is a luxury car. People's description of luxury and looks varies from person to person, hence why someone in a 90k car will say our car is complete crap, and then someone in a 500k car will say the 90k car is complete crap. I love my TL, i love the way stretched tires look, and no, i dont drive 120 on the freeway.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:46 AM
Unregistered User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I just threw up in my mouth a little.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:46 AM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
honestly, i love staggered wheels, even on the TL, it looks awesome!

but i wouldnt do it, because i am simply about performance, not looks. to me its dumb to do all these bolt on's, even s/c to a car then add 20" wheels... it totally negates it, but i do understand that it will look sick and not every races on the street, which is a good thing.

in short, im all for adding nice oversized wheels, but stretching the tires, im 100% against.

honestly, im probably contradicting myself or not making sense but oh well LOL
Old 04-04-2009, 04:28 AM
Feenin on some 20's

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
this is the diff. between the "go" guys and the "show" guys.

THis is the argument that me and my friends go through all the time. I go for looks more than go. We get into into little conversations about how show outweighs the performance benefit and dadada...

I have honestly almsot given up on the "go" part simply because the TL is just a little too slow, compared to the other cars out there these days. Even if I s/c'd the TL, I will be keeping up with a e46 M3... So therefore, in my perspective, the benefit of modding for "show" outweighs the cost of the "go".. if that makes any sense.

It's like MODDING your car. WHy even mod it when it looks good in stock form?(what my dad says, 52 this year). NOTICE how AGE plays a huge factor in this.

The people that were jocking the PINK TE"s that you are takling about were around my age. THe ones' not liking it, around your age. But it's to each his own. Let's not assume that ALL certain age groups behave the same way, because that's jus ignorant.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by greco9885
honestly, i love staggered wheels, even on the TL, it looks awesome!

but i wouldnt do it, because i am simply about performance, not looks. to me its dumb to do all these bolt on's, even s/c to a car then add 20" wheels... it totally negates it, but i do understand that it will look sick and not every races on the street, which is a good thing.

in short, im all for adding nice oversized wheels, but stretching the tires, im 100% against.

honestly, im probably contradicting myself or not making sense but oh well LOL
I totally agree and I like the staggered look too.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:38 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
this is the diff. between the "go" guys and the "show" guys.

THis is the argument that me and my friends go through all the time. I go for looks more than go. We get into into little conversations about how show outweighs the performance benefit and dadada...

I have honestly almsot given up on the "go" part simply because the TL is just a little too slow, compared to the other cars out there these days. Even if I s/c'd the TL, I will be keeping up with a e46 M3... So therefore, in my perspective, the benefit of modding for "show" outweighs the cost of the "go".. if that makes any sense.

It's like MODDING your car. WHy even mod it when it looks good in stock form?(what my dad says, 52 this year). NOTICE how AGE plays a huge factor in this.

The people that were jocking the PINK TE"s that you are takling about were around my age. THe ones' not liking it, around your age. But it's to each his own. Let's not assume that ALL certain age groups behave the same way, because that's jus ignorant.
I'm not sure if it's the age or the location where you grew up. Living in a redneck town, most of the people around here are into the go while the car may be primered and rusted but run 10s. Personally I like both but I refuse to take away from the go for the show lol. My tastes honestly haven't changed since I was 17. This place is so bad that a couple rednecks in a loud GTA pulled up next to us in my dad's mint low 10 second GN and said "all show" like they hated us. They quickly learned it had some go lol.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Mug
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
The last time I brought up my negative opinions on stretched tires I got flamed. "It's VIP yo!". I'm just here supporting the "old" guys. Oh, and skinny jeans look like shit.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:34 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mug
Oh, and skinny jeans look like shit.
They only look like shit if you happen to not be skinny...
Old 04-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Shyne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^I agree. It also depends on how you pull it off. Some people can pull off certain styles and some people can't. Like all things it depends on how the car can pull it off. Obviously a car trying to go for performance with stretched tires doesn't look right but if you're just going for looks and the rest of your car flows with it then stretched tires can look really good as well.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Super Premium User

Originally Posted by jjashaa
you hate it or you love it i guess...

even them little corrollas are doin it...

jjashaa, is that you in your avatar?
Old 04-06-2009, 01:04 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by HONgDA
How do you guys feel about skinny jeans? It's a trend.
I can't resist since I started this thread... Sorry I'm late, I just saw this.
Being obsessively fashionable is for women first off. Men where suits or khaki's to work (provided it's a white collar job), and jeans/shorts on the weekends.
It's OK to be stylish, but if you're worrying your fashion like folks here worry thier wheels... Well that's just :ghey:
It's just not that important... but there are a lot of metro folks here, I'm sure this will only stoke the flames.

Skinny jeans on men... laughable, yet an amazingly parallel arguement though.

Haven't you guys heard keeping the "ol' boys" couped up is bad for you. It'll make you sterile, which may be an objective for some LOL.
I like the parallel in that yet skinny jeans is another example of a performance compromise (of the junk) many here would make to be trendy. The difference being skinny jeans only hurt the wearer.

LOL, where this thread has gone.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HONgDA
How do you guys feel about skinny jeans? It's a trend.
skinny jeans is homo
Old 04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy

Haven't you guys heard keeping the "ol' boys" couped up is bad for you. It'll make you sterile, which may be an objective for some ....

.... and desirable for others.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:30 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
dang was i the only one to assume we were talking about skinny jeans on women?? :theghey:
Old 04-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by wasupdog
dang was i the only one to assume we were talking about skinny jeans on women?? :theghey:
^^ LMAO. Well, with California setting the fashion trends these days, who knows...
Old 04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Guys wearing skinny jeans are all too common around here - lots of asians
Old 04-06-2009, 03:28 PM
Shyne

Rofl I love how much you guys care about what other people do.....
Old 04-06-2009, 03:40 PM
My baby's ride...

^^ Not really caring. Just stating opinions. Some people love it. Some people think it looks like crap. That's what these boards are for.

Not for nothing but the same people defending the "stretched look" are the first ones to put their opinions out on every single thread people put up of their rides with the comment..."slam that sucka and then it'll look nice". LOL
Old 04-06-2009, 03:45 PM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by luckyAKAhappy
"slam that sucka and then it'll look nice". LOL

I hate that shit so much.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
I like the stretched look, but on my car it'll be about performance.

And skinny jeans, skinny guys (some, not all) can pull it off.

Last edited by alexSU; 04-06-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:34 AM
Advanced

Tire streching has been in the 240sx community for the past 6-7 years now. This is pretty old news. Just another way to fit agressive offset wheels on your car without going to aftermarket fenders or major fender mods.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:47 AM
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CSWBiggs
lol at you guys...

stretched tires are total hotness!!...

i've seen 215/40 17 on a 10" wheel...you could read the sidewalls while staring straight down! hott...

running larger more aggressively offset wheels is merely aesthetics...u know...for ex instead of have the face of the rim rest 1 inch within the wheel arches...and running a 255 tire...which would barely fit within the factory openings...y not run a larger wheel with an offset that will allow the face to sit "frush"...for aesthetics? not to mention...in our examples...235/45 17 on a 17 x 8 +45 wheel...y not run a 18 x 10 +18 wheel in the rear mounting a 245 40 18? guess what it's still streched...it's still wider...and it looks better!!

my car with our track cars wheels
17 x 9.5 + 17 front 235 40 17
18 x 10.0 + 18 rears 245 40 18

low offsets for the win!

-Jason
anymore PICS??, what rims are these?? that shit looks SICK!
Old 04-07-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I actually love the stretched tire, but I would NEVER do it. I'm a practical guy.... I race and drive my car hard in a straight line and in corners so I don't want to do anything that would take away from that since I've always spent money towards improving on those things. I get suspension mods mainly for the performance, looks are just thrown in as an added benefit. Of course its impossible to get any negative camber on my rears but I'm planning to go 315/35/17 with a 17x11 wheel later on... the tire will be sitting straight up and flush with the fender

My favorite is the straight-up tire flush-with-fender look, and while I could care less for Corollas, that Corolla posted earlier is probably the absolute limit that I would actually do. I'd never do that to that poor green S2000

This S4 however is perfect

Name:  S4pics027.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  139.8 KB

Name:  S4pics032.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  120.7 KB

to each his own
Old 04-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Shyne

That B5 S4 is clean!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Considering more and more people will buy a car like a Porsche with an automatic transmission than they will with a manual to drive it properly, does the stretching tire trend really surprise you that much, Kennedy? Performance will almost always take a back seat these days to looks.

Most people who wear skinny jeans should not be allowed in public. Not only does it look ridiculous, but considering most Americans are overweight, it's an eyesore to see that muffin top spilling over the top mixed with a shirt that is already too small for the wearer. This goes for men and women. People need to learn to dress appropriately for their body type.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:26 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
I NEVER understood the stretched look either, bleah! First off, I also think it is a safety issue and performance degrading. Off the bat it just seems illogical to me. I am into aesthetic mods as most people can tell when they see my car. I do like performance too though I don't go overboard on that because I know in reality no matter what I do to my TL, an M3 will spank me. I have nothing to prove. My next car will probably be in the realm of an M3 so that's a platform I would like to build on for performance. My TL does well for a commuter/long-distance cruiser with 28mpg. Maybe my car doesn't have so many mods towards upgrading performance. But at least I don't want to DEGRADE what I already have But that aside, let's talk looks.

I don't understand how it looks good? They look like bubble tires on an ATV. And this is not saying I don't like/don't understand the whole VIP style thing. I don't mind the chrome accents, the widebody look with the curtains etc. (It can be pulled off on the right kind of car like a Q or LS) I kinda like it all EXCPEPT the stretch tire look. Yeah call me part of the old man crew if you want too but I like the tires sitting flush with the rim flange, if not even a couple mm of chunky rubber for rim protection. I like that squared off look, looks like a man's car. Just like that S4 above ^^ Stretched looks cartoonish, can't take it seriously.

Last edited by rockyfeller; 04-07-2009 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
^

I agree completely. The stretched look doesn't look right to me. Not to mention you're going to curb the hell out of your rims sooner or later if your car is a daily driver.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Shyne

^^If you're careful you won't curb your wheels...
Regardless if you suck at parking you'll curb your wheels no matter what.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 PM
2005 TL (7/07-8/29/09)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha sorry for bringing the skinny jeans into this thread. Some people were talking about stretching tires is a trend so I would see how they feel about that since it is a fashion trend. As with stretching tires to an extreme, I don't like skinny jeans. But to each his own.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:55 PM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Name:  gayalarm.gif
Views: 792
Size:  12.6 KB
Old 04-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by rockyfeller
I NEVER understood the stretched look either, bleah! First off, I also think it is a safety issue and performance degrading. Off the bat it just seems illogical to me. I am into aesthetic mods as most people can tell when they see my car. I do like performance too though I don't go overboard on that because I know in reality no matter what I do to my TL, an M3 will spank me. I have nothing to prove. My next car will probably be in the realm of an M3 so that's a platform I would like to build on for performance. My TL does well for a commuter/long-distance cruiser with 28mpg. Maybe my car doesn't have so many mods towards upgrading performance. But at least I don't want to DEGRADE what I already have But that aside, let's talk looks.

I don't understand how it looks good? They look like bubble tires on an ATV. And this is not saying I don't like/don't understand the whole VIP style thing. I don't mind the chrome accents, the widebody look with the curtains etc. (It can be pulled off on the right kind of car like a Q or LS) I kinda like it all EXCPEPT the stretch tire look. Yeah call me part of the old man crew if you want too but I like the tires sitting flush with the rim flange, if not even a couple mm of chunky rubber for rim protection. I like that squared off look, looks like a man's car. Just like that S4 above ^^ Stretched looks cartoonish, can't take it seriously.

yea im not too into the 13" wide rims with 7" lips and tires stretched to the point where they look like abused buttholes on a 1991 car, but i love me some 5" lips with a nice stretch on a 1999 gs
Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TLheaven
Seems like the older crowd doesn't like this style
are you calling me old?

i agree with both parties. on one hand, its dangerous, not worth it, and severely affects performance, but on the other hand, they are the owners of their cars so they are free to do as they will. we cant really tell them what to do and what not to do.

im more towards performance and safety (i know, oxymoron lol) so i wouldnt go with slammed or stretched tires.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:00 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,983 Likes on 1,336 Posts
Kennedy.

You will find that life if much more enjoyable if you just stop bitching about things.

FYI, i'm running a 235/35 on 9.5 TEs. Hopefully my rollcage will save me when my damn inner tire wall detaches from the tread pattern, after the TL flips and travenes into an unforseen object.

Have a nice day!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 PM
tehLEGOman

Some of you want to argue that running stretched tires are expensive due to excessive inner tire wear?

...well so are track days. Very expensive.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 PM
tehLEGOman

What it all comes down to is basically like some have said...

..to each their own, and different strokes for different folks.

Cruising on rodeo drive with stretched tire on your s2000, or driving on 95 north on your non streched 8.5s. 95 is much more dangerous at any given moment.

Maybe some guys have 3 vehicles, and the one with the stretched tire never even makes it onto a highway.

Lots and lots of reasons why people do things.

Just stop bitching. Damn.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 AM
My baby's ride...

Originally Posted by ACCURATEin
Kennedy.

FYI, i'm running a 235/35 on 9.5 TEs. Hopefully my rollcage will save me when my damn inner tire wall detaches from the tread pattern, after the TL flips and travenes into an unforseen object.

Have a nice day!
Yeah...as long as you live while you slam into a car carrying couple kids in the back who are not protected by a rollcage. Nice one.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Osus14
Tire streching has been in the 240sx community for the past 6-7 years now. This is pretty old news. Just another way to fit agressive offset wheels on your car without going to aftermarket fenders or major fender mods.
ding ding ding...we have a winner!!!

the wheels on my car came off of our drift s- chassis...they're work XD-9 for JDM inspired...

and stretched tires do help with handling...similar to tread shaving DOT tires from 9/32 t 2/32's of an inch...those that don't know this helps to reduce treadblock squirm

..it may take away from your contact patch a bit when you stretch...but it will also stiffen up your sidewalls quite a bit...makin the car a bit more responsive interms of steering input...but also makes them predictable...

go against the grain and try it some time...don't knock it until you try it...

if you're lookin for comfort...then stay the fuck away...but seriosuly..don't down play the performance gain just because of size of 10 mm on tread width...

-Jason

also...how do u figure that it shortens the life span of the tire?
Old 04-08-2009, 02:24 PM
Advanced

• Stretched tires not only look stupid but they are also dangerous. Buy some tires that actually fit the wheels you're putting them on. And on a side note skinny jeans suck. I'm tired of going to the mall and seeing all the guys wearing skin tight clothes dressed like Swedish hookers.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Too anyone bitching about safety with any of the following mod's

Aftermarket wheels = Your car was not designed for these wheels and they are in most case's not as strong as your OEM wheels, they could crack and you

could hit sed mini van with kids in it ,lol

Low profile tires = Once again your car was not designed to handle these tires the lack of side wall puts more stress on your wheels and suspension and could cause premature failure and become a safety hazard.

Tinted headlights or taillights = This is not only a hazard to your self (In that it restricts your vision but it is a hazard to others (in than they are less likely to see you)

Aftermarket suspension = In most cases are stiffer putting more stress on other suspension components (tie-rods bushings elect) that could result in premature failure and be a hazard.

C.A.I= In high water it could cause your motor to lock-up and could potentially make you lose control and have an accident (this happen to someone I know)

HID fogs mods Your fog lights lack a piece of metal in them that keep the bright light from blinding other drivers and could cause an accident.

The list goes on and on and on

Moral of the story MOST MODS ARE POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS so shut your hypocritical cunt mouth and realize that you are on a custom car enthusiast site that obviously puts mods before safety for the most part.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by HI OFECR
Too anyone bitching about safety with any of the following mod's

Aftermarket wheels = Your car was not designed for these wheels and they are in most case's not as strong as your OEM wheels, they could crack and you

could hit sed mini van with kids in it ,lol

Low profile tires = Once again your car was not designed to handle these tires the lack of side wall puts more stress on your wheels and suspension and could cause premature failure and become a safety hazard.

Tinted headlights or taillights = This is not only a hazard to your self (In that it restricts your vision but it is a hazard to others (in than they are less likely to see you)

Aftermarket suspension = In most cases are stiffer putting more stress on other suspension components (tie-rods bushings elect) that could result in premature failure and be a hazard.

C.A.I= In high water it could cause your motor to lock-up and could potentially make you lose control and have an accident (this happen to someone I know)

HID fogs mods Your fog lights lack a piece of metal in them that keep the bright light from blinding other drivers and could cause an accident.

The list goes on and on and on

Moral of the story MOST MODS ARE POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS so shut your hypocritical cunt mouth and realize that you are on a custom car enthusiast site that obviously puts mods before safety for the most part.

Classy

Quick Reply: What is with this stretching tires trend...?