What is with this stretching tires trend...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
What is with this stretching tires trend...?

It's 2009 the virus has got to a lot of folks. Every new wheels thread has this as the centerpeice.

I don't get it guys... Help me out here.

Why.

That used to be a trend in the Euro crowd, but as Japanese manufacturers begin to converge thier styling towards German design, I can see why the influence is bleeding over... but I didn't understand it then, and I don't understand it now.

1) It's dangerous. the sidewall is designed to absorb energy horizonatally, not at 45 degrees. Thsi is hotly contested on the internet, but it is a fact, and few shops will mount stretched tires for a reason.

2) It's expensive. Raw lips hangin in the breeze. Can you say curb damage?

4) When coupled with these extreme offsets that are danger close to the "rolled" fender, the danger is amplified more, as most of these wide stance cars I've seen are slammed. At 120 mph, slammed, and your stretched tire that close to the fender... get my drift? and that said, most folks are only doing lock to lock steering checks in thier slammed configuration. What happens when you hit a bump with your wheel turned? I'll give you one guess.

3) It's aestetically... awkward. It's interesting to look at as it more cleanly shows the rims, but it looks like something has gone wrong in your tire mounting.

I guess I like to pretend my 300+ WHP car has a performance side to it, and when I choose to engage that side of it, I want my wheels/tire choice to help, not impair the driving style I've elected. I'm not driving a trailer queen 64 impala on hydro's...

I expect a lot of "cuz it looks hawt..." responses, which is acceptable I guess... but 13" Dayton's looked good in 1989, and 30" on Donks looks good to some folks today. To me, the stretched tire trend is counter performance and is in the same category.

Maybe I'm gonna buck the trend and go back to subdued lightweight 17's and beefier wider tires... A real perforamance car look, and real performance to go with the look.

Discuss...
The following 3 users liked this post by Kennedy:
ChristianRE (04-24-2012), fuct (04-06-2016), mcmguti (06-13-2012)
Old 04-02-2009, 03:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree...looks somewhat retarded. And there's no performance benefit, in fact probably a safety liability.

But no accounting for taste....kinda like curtains and Lambo doors.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It is purely aesthetics to me and they stretch tires to fit a larger wheel in the wheel well without the tires rubbing the fenders. Completely agree with you on 1 & 2. Just for looks i guess is all that it really practically is for. I mean i came from a 4door sport sedan and had my fun with the speed and racing factor but wanted to go move to a luxury car but within reason. Thus why i bought an Acura.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:11 PM
boost owns

On a daily-driven car, I think it's retarded for all of the reasons you listed... just like putting staggered wheels on a FWD vehicle.

On a show-car, anything goes, and it can look good.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fender clearance!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:51 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Audioserf
On a daily-driven car, I think it's retarded for all of the reasons you listed... just like putting staggered wheels on a FWD vehicle.

On a show-car, anything goes, and it can look good.
I've belabored that point as well... The staggered thing I've beaten to death, but to each his own. I think it's ridiculous though.

I recognize it's not a race car I drive, but again, no sense reducing the limited performance of a modestly equipped sedan further to make your car look like something crazy. Again, that the same reason people build DONKS.

What I find particulalrly perplexing is I recently saw folks stretching tires on Volk TE's. You'll find no other rim closer to the serious perfromance track crowd. Forged lightweight monoblock design, purposefully built for lightweight strength...
These were mounted in a staggered setup, with stretched tires, and slammed so much you could see the rear camber from the side. Here's what that setup says to a motorhead like me...

"LOOK, I have go fast rims, but I can't go too fast or the excessive undeersteer (from the stagger) may cause the 1/3 of the tire that's on the road (from the camber/slam) to give out and pop a bead on my rim (due to the stretch). Lovely.

But there were 3 pages of HAWT, Drool, and JDM yo sillyness. All he needed to do next was powdercoat them hot pink to achieve victory.

Waste of great performance parts if you ask me. I guess I'm too old to stay hip to the trends... but I like my car to look like and act like it can go fast... and not look like a cartoon.

Rant over, but it was fun.

So I think I've quantified my confusion. The mixing of excellent performance based rims and super sticky tires with stretched tires, excessive drops, and FWD staggering... is well... asinine.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 269 Likes on 229 Posts
no one is bitching about you not liking this so why are you bitching at ppl liking it. Everyone has their own taste so if they wanna put them selves in "danger" (I dont think its dangerous but you obviously do) then let them be.
The following users liked this post:
llllBULLSEYE (08-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2009, 06:16 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by myron
no one is bitching about you not liking this so why are you bitching at ppl liking it. Everyone has their own taste so if they wanna put them selves in "danger" (I dont think its dangerous but you obviously do) then let them be.
Because I can... and clearly you are bitching about me not liking it, so your first statement is incorrect...

... and I'm not bitching about it btw. I'm asking the community thier opinion on the matter, by stating my opinion on the matter. Don't like my opinion? Feel free to post here, welcome... That's what this place is for. Differing opinions is a fact of life. I'm actually searching for an educated response to what is the aestetic draw to this look, and why so many seem to be on the bandwagon all of the sudden this year.

As for safety... You could not be more wrong in your OPINION.
Merely google "stretch tire dangerous".

Sure SOME drift cars have done it for technical reasons. Drift cars don't get on busy freeways with my family on them.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Being an Acha Bacha in

Received 127 Likes on 88 Posts
Why do you always have to stir up a fight .. haha.. You're like one of the protesters at the G20 Summit.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:26 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by Elegant TYPE S
Why do you always have to stir up a fight .. haha.. You're like one of the protesters at the G20 Summit.
LOL... I want my money... !
Old 04-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by myron
no one is bitching about you not liking this so why are you bitching at ppl liking it. Everyone has their own taste so if they wanna put them selves in "danger" .
Trouble is they don't "just" put themselves in danger .. they put everyone on the same road in danger.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Instructor

well if you want to run super aggressive rims u need a very small tire. other wise its not physically possible to make the wheels fit.

I recently put on 19x9.5 rear rims with 225/35/19 tires. opinions were split 50/50. half liked and half hated it.

But i was sick of people putting on standard 18x7.5 with their 45 offsets. IMO that looks ugly and weak.

On 3rd gen tl's i think they look 10x better staggered. 8.5 inch wide wheels sink in on the rear and make the car look like shit.

its all opinion. If you went on a bmw forum and posted that your FWD tl makes 300 whp all them would laugh and talk shit probably. but who cares. its your car. make its yours. make it unique. make it stand out.

This is my first time trying the stretched tire and i like it.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:58 PM
08 TL BAGGED!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i have stretched tires.. it is dangerous.. and my wheels stick outta my fenders.. but i dont speed or do nutin stupid so i dont really need to worry about that.. but stretched is to fit larger rims... and as for curbage i dont worry about that cuz i park decently far from da curb haha!
Old 04-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you posted this Kennedy. Seeing this has been an increasing trend lately around here I wondered the same thing. Specifically, if there was any reason for it beyond the look. Which, personally I don't care for but I respect the fact that everybody has a different opinion on what "looks good".

^^ Saying you're doing it (or anything) to run something super aggressive because it physically won't fit otherwise isn't the reasoning you want to use to defend your point since, in most cases, that fact is reason enough why it shouldn't be done. At least without measures to do "it" safely which in this case there may not be. Again, to each his own. Some of the stretched setups I've seen here look decent to me, some are a little over the top. Most likely I'm just out of the age group that's into it. Regardless, I respect pretty much anything somebody does to their car that they like.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I've never understood decreasing performance to *supposedly* look better.

I don't understand an "aggressive" rim. What's the point of a wider rim when the tire doesn't fit. I guess it's a ricer thing. I remember when it was just the VW fags doing this.

In my world, when a rim and tire combo doesn't fit right, you either go with a smaller set, roll the fender, or notch the frame (or unibody lol). It just looks ghetto like you couldn't afford to have a matched combo. Drift cars excluded.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:41 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slowaccord

its all opinion. If you went on a bmw forum and posted that your FWD tl makes 300 whp all them would laugh and talk shit probably. but who cares. its your car. make its yours. make it unique. make it stand out.
^^in short, this is your answer. the tl is a better looker than it is a performer.

i think this argument could go in 100 different directions but case in point...why do you have 2 piece 19" rims when you could have 17 or 18" forged monoblocks? i know the answer isn't money, because a lot of us have spent thousands modding a fwd car that can't handle upwards of 350whp.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Type- (S)low

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's all about VIP. lol.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jweb12
Glad you posted this Kennedy. Seeing this has been an increasing trend lately around here I wondered the same thing. Specifically, if there was any reason for it beyond the look. Which, personally I don't care for but I respect the fact that everybody has a different opinion on what "looks good".

^^ Saying you're doing it (or anything) to run something super aggressive because it physically won't fit otherwise isn't the reasoning you want to use to defend your point since, in most cases, that fact is reason enough why it shouldn't be done. At least without measures to do "it" safely which in this case there may not be. Again, to each his own. Some of the stretched setups I've seen here look decent to me, some are a little over the top. Most likely I'm just out of the age group that's into it. Regardless, I respect pretty much anything somebody does to their car that they like.
THATS THE ONLY REASON. otherwise the package wont fit. some people just like the stretched look. in other cases that is the only way to get the wheels to fit. some of us went out of our way to get aggressive wheels. its not that we are ghetto and would not afford the "right" wheels IE lame widths/offsets. Why get cookie cutter widths and offsets like 90% of people when you can have something unique?

hahaaha it feels like this is a court room and everyone is being prosecuted for why they are running stretched tires.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
it all depends on your priorities. Looks or performance?

Personally, I'd go with performance. I just hate the feeling of having something that LOOKS like it can do it, but really can't. On the other hand, I want something that doesn't look like it can pull it off, but gives you a pleasant surprise when it CAN.

However, there's a word for people who want the look and not the ability. it's rice.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:58 PM
Instructor

yea rice is the best word. apply it to anything.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
yea rice is the best word. apply it to anything.
Anything that doesn't make sense. stretched tires on Volks? doesn't make sense.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29...tchgonebad.jpg
Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by wasupdog
^^in short, this is your answer. the tl is a better looker than it is a performer.

i think this argument could go in 100 different directions but case in point...why do you have 2 piece 19" rims when you could have 17 or 18" forged monoblocks? i know the answer isn't money, because a lot of us have spent thousands modding a fwd car that can't handle upwards of 350whp.
I here ya...

19" with a 35 series tire is a great balance of of firmness and look without compromising too much. My TL is a daily driver, not a track car either. Volk GT-S's are about 3lbs per heavier wheel than monoblock TE's. That said, I think I have increased performance over stock with a wider tire, stiffer sidewall, and "equivalent to stock" weight... although I could have done slightly better performance wise, I sacrificed a very small amount of increase for a LOT of better aestetics.

I have a set of cheap Ray's 19" NISMO's (lightweight monoblocks) for track days BTW. I wish they were 18s truthfully, 19 is too big, and track tires are too expensive for track performance tires... but for $700 for 19 lb 19s... hey.

and as I stated earlier... I am seriously thinking 17" with beef tires. I wish I could find that picture of Al's car on the 17's and track tires. That's an "aggresive" look. Everything else is poseur.

But thanks for calling a spade a spade.

Edit... Thanks turbonut. Here's what you stretch tire crew get to look forward too:
Name:  stretchgonebad.jpg
Views: 8735
Size:  86.7 KB

Last edited by Kennedy; 04-02-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:46 PM
Pro

THATS THE ONLY REASON. otherwise the package wont fit. some people just like the stretched look. in other cases that is the only way to get the wheels to fit. some of us went out of our way to get aggressive wheels. its not that we are ghetto and would not afford the "right" wheels IE lame widths/offsets. Why get cookie cutter widths and offsets like 90% of people when you can have something unique?

hahaaha it feels like this is a court room and everyone is being prosecuted for why they are running stretched tires.
I hear you. Everybody likes to stand out, just in different ways. I'm not debating it either way really. I don't have a "side" in this. I personally don't like the look of the really stretched setups......looks odd with the lip of the rim extended out like that. But, like I said, I can respect/understand those who do it if it's what they like.

Like UA eluded to, as long as you drive accordingly, doesn't seem too bad. I don't know what the wear and tear under "cautious" driving is like but if you can afford it I'd be lying if I said I wasn't envious.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 PM
My baby's ride...

I agree. It looks just as silly as those cars which are so low that the rear wheels have to be tilted at 45 degree angles to fit inside the fender. Funniest thing is actually watching one of these cars in front of you trying to avoid every single bump or pothole and when they don't the whole car looks as if it will fall apart.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Looks (often perceived, IMHO) v Performance.

That's why I've advocated 18", lightweight wheels. Best balance, IMHO. You get a more wheel, but can still run a fairly wide tire with good sidewall and get the lightweight advantage from the wheels.

I'd kill for a nice set of 16 - 18 pound 18 x 8 or 18 x 8.5 wheels. And they are out there, but it's a limited and/or expensive selection.

Some people don't care about actual performance though; as long as it looks good. And who am I to argue? I could care less.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy

What I find particulalrly perplexing is I recently saw folks stretching tires on Volk TE's. You'll find no other rim closer to the serious perfromance track crowd. Forged lightweight monoblock design, purposefully built for lightweight strength...
These were mounted in a staggered setup, with stretched tires, and slammed so much you could see the rear camber from the side. Here's what that setup says to a motorhead like me...

"LOOK, I have go fast rims, but I can't go too fast or the excessive undeersteer (from the stagger) may cause the 1/3 of the tire that's on the road (from the camber/slam) to give out and pop a bead on my rim (due to the stretch). Lovely.

But there were 3 pages of HAWT, Drool, and JDM yo sillyness. All he needed to do next was powdercoat them hot pink to achieve victory.

Waste of great performance parts if you ask me. I guess I'm too old to stay hip to the trends... but I like my car to look like and act like it can go fast... and not look like a cartoon.

Rant over, but it was fun.

So I think I've quantified my confusion. The mixing of excellent performance based rims and super sticky tires with stretched tires, excessive drops, and FWD staggering... is well... asinine.
yeah, you must be talking about my TL... does it piss you off?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Not only for looks

Name:  IMG_0453.jpg
Views: 1703
Size:  86.4 KB

Please do not condemn all, I painstakingly did the math and ordered the correct offset wheels that took six months to get, so I could run a 19x9.5 wheel, with a Tien Coils on A spec struts, Then carefully rolled rear fenders using a heat gun and purchasing a fender well rolling device rolled my fender wells, I run a 295 30 19 on the rear, In mounting tires I started at 265 and went up mounting and dismounting tires making 3 men sit in the back seat and 3 sitting in trunk until I arrived at the 295 ( I wanted to go to 305 but the margins where to tight) Same occured on the front but running a 18x8.5 front wheel with 255 35 18 tires, I do not rub at all in rear, and lock to lock in the front no rubbing. I have driven the TL all thru the Foothils in Ca, To Las Vegas, up to Tahoe all thru the Coast any one in Cali knows the 101 Pismo to Santa Cruz, I have not noticed any more understeer than I had with my 245 40 18 on the A spec Wheels, It does not ride rough is smooth as glass at high speed anyone who has driven to Vegas from LA knows your are going fly!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Illist

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
hmmm, i run a stretched tire like some others said, strictly for asthetics. To achieve that fender flush look. some hate it some love it. i love it personally. you guys know im also one of the lowest TL's on coilovers on this board too, fit 10inch wide wheels while tucking tire simple as that. why do i it? looks good IMO. though it has its downsides, im on pot hole patrol 247, oh well, the things u sacrifice.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by vipTL
hmmm, i run a stretched tire like some others said, strictly for asthetics. To achieve that fender flush look. some hate it some love it. i love it personally. you guys know im also one of the lowest TL's on coilovers on this board too, fit 10inch wide wheels while tucking tire simple as that. why do i it? looks good IMO. though it has its downsides, im on pot hole patrol 247, oh well, the things u sacrifice.
I just don't get why anyone would care so much about a 10" rim when you only have 7" of rubber on the ground. Are looks important enough to sacrifice performance?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:36 AM
Illist

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I just don't get why anyone would care so much about a 10" rim when you only have 7" of rubber on the ground. Are looks important enough to sacrifice performance?
to answer your question short, Yes looks are way more important. IMO though, i completely agree with you though that has no performance/ safety benefits at all.

this is why we stretch and slam our cars. *puts on flame suit*

google Hellaflush, you wont like what you find.

Last edited by vipTL; 04-03-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Instructor

^^^that car looks hard.

At the end of the day its just nice to have a mixture of things. if everyone did the same stuff, whether you like it or not, you would have a homogenous mixture of modified cars. and that would be no fun.

happy modding!
Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
lulz at this thread.

Just for you stretch tire hating guys <3

Old 04-03-2009, 01:47 AM
08 TL BAGGED!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ballin why u gotta show off for once again! LOL stretched tires FTMFW!!! haha looks is better den performance!
Old 04-03-2009, 01:52 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennedy
I guess I like to pretend my 300+ WHP car has a performance side to it, and when I choose to engage that side of it, I want my wheels/tire choice to help, not impair the driving style I've elected. I'm not driving a trailer queen 64 impala on hydro's...

Maybe I'm gonna buck the trend and go back to subdued lightweight 17's and beefier wider tires... A real performance car look, and real performance to go with the look.
+1. This is the exact reason I changed my setup around.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
http://www.wagenwerks.net/video/nero.html

well.. thats euro..
Old 04-03-2009, 01:59 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

I went from this:

Name:  Untitled-HDR-11.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  343.7 KB

To this:

Name:  IMG_3358.jpg
Views: 1025
Size:  90.8 KB
The following users liked this post:
fuct (04-06-2016)
Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 AM
Avant Garde Wheels

Received 348 Likes on 291 Posts
you hate it or you love it i guess...

even them little corrollas are doin it...

Name:  IMG_4121.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  45.6 KB

Name:  IMG_4124.jpg
Views: 924
Size:  40.7 KB
Old 04-03-2009, 02:03 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

^^^ Yeah...it is DEFINITELY for "the look".
Old 04-03-2009, 02:09 AM
Pro

Looks really good it does, but you wasting money on tires. You will go through them quickly

Quick Reply: What is with this stretching tires trend...?