Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010 | 01:18 AM
Instructor

Tire wear

I've got the car last summer. Just as i got it, i threw new tires on it. about 5-6 k later i see that i got some camber wear on the rears, the fronts are even wear. Is this normal. Btw i did an alignment right after installation. The car is not lowered.
Old 02-20-2010 | 06:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Any unusual tire wear is not normal. Take it to another shop for alignment, or if you want, return to the shop that did the work and show them, but the standing reply will be that you did damage to the suspension after they aligned the vehicle.
Do you still have the printout from the shop that did the alignment?
Old 02-20-2010 | 10:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

agreed with turbonut, I went almost 4k miles with a mis-alignment on my cars causing really bad uneven wear on my front serenity's!! the tire place did an all-wheel alignment and found that it was really off!

the biggest hint is, when your driving down a flat straight part of the highway doing 50-60mph, let go of the wheel and see if the car immediately pulls to the left or right! mine was pulling almost immediately to the right so I knew it was an alignment

word to the wise, the guy at the tire shop, who you know is reputable place because they use hunter roadforce for everything, said that the Acura TL, Nissan Maxima, BMW 3-Series, and Infiniti G37 Sedan/Coupe are the most common cars they see for all-wheel alignments in their business due to their sport sedan profiles and characteristics!
Old 02-20-2010 | 10:31 AM
Race Director

First, I'm assuming you have zero suspension mods and are running stock size tires and wheels?

Are you sure the wear is due to camber? I don't believe the rear is adjustable for camber unless you install a camber kit. The toe is adjustable.

Unfortunately, uneven rear tire wear is not uncommon in 04TLs. You need to have them recheck the rear toe. There also was a TSB for replacing the bumps stops on 04TLs. Do you have a lot of weight in the trunk or back seat? That seems to contribute to the wear. I had severe wear/cupping on my rear tires that went away after an alignment.

It's interesting to note that the toe specifications changed between 04 and 05:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/new-discovery-factory-specs-way-off-rear-suspension-583530/
Old 02-20-2010 | 10:43 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
First, I'm assuming you have zero suspension mods and are running stock size tires and wheels?

Are you sure the wear is due to camber? I don't believe the rear is adjustable for camber unless you install a camber kit. The toe is adjustable.

Unfortunately, uneven rear tire wear is not uncommon in 04TLs. You need to have them recheck the rear toe. There also was a TSB for replacing the bumps stops on 04TLs. Do you have a lot of weight in the trunk or back seat? That seems to contribute to the wear. I had severe wear/cupping on my rear tires that went away after an alignment.

It's interesting to note that the toe specifications changed between 04 and 05:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583530

Well the wear is is more on the inner tire then the outer. the guy that did the alignment set the toe at specifications. I know that camber is not adjustable, so thats why i'm asking if its normal to have more wear on the inner side of tire. I rarely have weight in back, i usually drive alone. Whats the bumps you talking about? maybe i should just redo my alignment.
Old 02-21-2010 | 01:32 AM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by vovka2007
Whats the bumps you talking about? maybe i should just redo my alignment.
See https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/too-many-04-05-owners-unaware-critical-tsb-have-done-601284/ -- the TSB is 05-050, and the 3G Garage has links to all the TSBs.
Old 02-22-2010 | 02:14 AM
Instructor

So you guys think its TOE wear instead of camber? Looking at my print out, the toe is withing specification, while the camber is 1 degree off, which is also within specifications. shall i just throw a camber kit in the rear or what?
Old 02-22-2010 | 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vovka2007
So you guys think its TOE wear instead of camber? Looking at my print out, the toe is withing specification, while the camber is 1 degree off, which is also within specifications. shall i just throw a camber kit in the rear or what?
If the toe and camber are within specs and the tires are wearing uneven, only one answer, the equipment isn't calibrated properly. Toe will certainly chew up the tires and leave a feathered edge while camber usually wears one edge down but not feathered. With incorrect toe, the tire is being dragged across the surface, hence the feathered edge.
Take it to another shop.
Old 11-01-2010 | 02:34 PM
Advanced

Hello guys, sorry to beat on an old ( but definitely NOT dead horse ) here,

I was just in a pretty severe car accident last week due to the unreliability of this car and its rear tires.

My car spun off and I lost complete control of the car, going 45-50 MPH on the Turnpike while it was raining.

This is the second time this has happened to me with this car, first time I managed to dodge everything. I complained to the dealer, they obviously didn't care much, I finally gave up and decided to be more careful, I don't know how much more careful I can be? I align my car as much as possible. Now my car is totaled.

These rear tires are getting bald from the inside, at an uncontrollable / unpredictable rate. This needs to be addressed to Acura, a recall or something must be done.

If anyone would like to join me and provide me ANY information that would guide me and help me with how and who I can take this up with, I would greatly appreciate it.

Honda/Acura should not walk off on this one. Not from me and shouldn't from you. This is complete crap.

Anyways please PM me with any information, I'm sorry I'm not a mechanic or a super knowledgeable car guy, if anyone can please chime in with what exactly is the problem and what exactly I can do about this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
Old 11-01-2010 | 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Zero523

I was just in a pretty severe car accident last week due to the unreliability of this car and its rear tires.

My car spun off and I lost complete control of the car, going 45-50 MPH on the Turnpike while it was raining.

This is the second time this has happened to me with this car, first time I managed to dodge everything. I complained to the dealer, they obviously didn't care much, I finally gave up and decided to be more careful, I don't know how much more careful I can be? I align my car as much as possible. Now my car is totaled.

These rear tires are getting bald from the inside, at an uncontrollable / unpredictable rate. This needs to be addressed to Acura, a recall or something must be done.

If anyone would like to join me and provide me ANY information that would guide me and help me with how and who I can take this up with, I would greatly appreciate it.

Honda/Acura should not walk off on this one. Not from me and shouldn't from you. This is complete crap.

Anyways please PM me with any information, I'm sorry I'm not a mechanic or a super knowledgeable car guy, if anyone can please chime in with what exactly is the problem and what exactly I can do about this? I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
You do realize that the car is 7 years old and how many miles? Probably something wrong with the rear suspension components/alignment. I have an '04 with perfect wear on all 4 corners, in fact, the Yokohama S.4's have just turned 30,000 and show minimal wear overall.
Old 11-01-2010 | 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

dont the rear wheels generally tend to get a little bit more camber wear then the front wheels? ... i thought this was normal because they do sit at a slight angle compared to the front wheels. but my dealer has never mentioned anything to me, and i never feel like my car is unsafe. if u rotate every 5k or so they wear should be even on all four
Old 11-01-2010 | 05:34 PM
Drifting

sry to hear..glad you're ok - but how did ur car spin out? did u run over something and ur tire blew? how old are the tires? have they been rotated/inflated properly?
Old 11-01-2010 | 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

I think he is lowered too
Old 11-02-2010 | 08:03 AM
Advanced

These tires go bald from the inside, and look fine from the outside. The average person wouldn't notice this sort of wear and also tend to focus more on the front tires. Considering I am not the only one with these issues, I'm surprised not many people have reported accidents due to this. Look around at some of the pictures people have posted in regards to this. Those tires are less than 6 months old. For those tires to be extremely bald like that is ridiculous and extremely dangerous.

Despite the car being 7 years old, as I said before this happened to me about 4 years ago also. I have been very careful since. But it seems as soon as you go back to your regular life style, this is the sort of stuff we would need to watch out for? That's great.

The car spun while it was raining, I was crossing a mini bridge where the cement is much smoother, due to the lack of grip I began spinning. I have never slid so easily, I felt like Cinderella dancing on ice.

I must've looked.... Glorious....
Old 11-02-2010 | 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

These tires go bald from the inside, and look fine from the outside. The average person wouldn't notice this sort of wear and also tend to focus more on the front tires. Considering I am not the only one with these issues, I'm surprised not many people have reported accidents due to this. Look around at some of the pictures people have posted in regards to this. Those tires are less than 6 months old. For those tires to be extremely bald like that is ridiculous and extremely dangerous.

Despite the car being 7 years old, as I said before this happened to me about 4 years ago also. I have been very careful since. But it seems as soon as you go back to your regular life style, this is the sort of stuff we would need to watch out for? That's great.

The car spun while it was raining, I was crossing a mini bridge where the cement is much smoother, due to the lack of grip I began spinning. I have never slid so easily, I felt like Cinderella dancing on ice.

I must've looked.... Glorious....
How is your alignment after you lowered the car?
Old 11-02-2010 | 09:17 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
How is your alignment after you lowered the car?
I've aligned my car many times after the lowering, that was the first thing I did, actually.

However the first time I slid was prior to me changing my springs, I changed my springs about 1.5 years ago. I had the A-Spec lowering for 5 years, just recently I upgraded due to wear and tear. Again, I still aligned even after the new upgrade.

I can only go by what the Tire place shows me, I see the reports and there is nothing in the red. I pay, then leave. I always align when I get new tires put on, as I mentioned those tires are not that old. I get free alignments. I don't think they're doing it improperly, because I would be able to notice if the car was unaligned.

To my knowledge, I was doing everything and beyond to keep this car fresh and healthy. It looked and felt brand new, especially for a car 6+ years old with 70k miles. I just always noticed a tire issue. It is a bit difficult to determine the average longevity of my tires prior to my first sliding, because the problem was I wasn't always here. I was away for 4 years, leaving my car home. However, the second sliding, aka the accident, is definitely something NOT normal.

I won't lie, I did enjoy the car, very much so. Hence why I kept it for so long, because there's nothing as good looking and quick in that price range, even after 6 years, it's by far the nicest looking car in the 30k price range.
Old 11-02-2010 | 09:49 AM
Advanced

I have an 04 that has gone through two sets of pirelli's due to inside wear. I really dont know if its the front that is causing it or the rear because I rotate the tires frequently. That makes it hard to tell whats going on. I went through two sets of el42's. Don't remember exactly how long those held out but somewhere around 15k miles/7.5k a piece from two sets of tires and acura of course said it was our fault. I need to check to see if they replaced the bumpstops. I doubt it. Gonna go check my alignment specs now.

Good luck figuring out whats up.