Proper way to adjust height on F&F Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Proper way to adjust height on F&F Coilover

hey guys i'm getting my driver rear end link fixed sometime this week and was wondering what's the proper way to adjusting these coils?

they are already put on the car. i've seen some videos but kinda confused. here's a picture so maybe you guys can help me out

to adjust the ride height, which portion do i loosen?

i took my car to a friend today to help raise my rear a bit and he was adjusting the top part circled in blue. we kept spinning the blue portion up, not by much maybe 5-7MM. i couldn't tell if it made the car raise up or what...

from some videos i been watching they said the top portion is to adjust the spring rates. well if that's the case, than DAMN i just fucked up the spring rates on my rear because of this idiot!

so are you supposed to adjust ride height by adjusting the rings i circled in yellow? and if so, how do you adjust it with the coils on the car? i seen videos of people loosening the ring at the bottom and spun it around so it would actually raise or lower, but my coils are attached to the car, i won't be able to spin it after i loosen the golden ring!
Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
loosen the bottom spanner nut...the top two should be tight and locked together...after the bottom nut is loose, use the larger wrench to spin the middle spanner nut...this should make the whole damper body spin...if you are looking at it from the top, clockwise is lowering, counterclockwise is raising. hope this helps...
Old 06-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Racer

btw, it can take a while (or what seems like a while)...the knuckle kinda makes it a PITA in the front, and its a pretty fine threaded damper body..you will get it though..
Old 06-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Only the yellow ring should be adjusted. I am yet to figure out a way to do this without removing the wheel tho, if possible at all.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
yes, NOT suppose to adjust blue.. (that will change spring rate)

-loosen yellow (you can knock it loose by using hammer and screwdriver method)
-once its loose, spin the ENTIRE shock (the gold part thats threaded)

-spin right = raise
-spin left = lower
The following users liked this post:
vietxquangstah (06-20-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 11:01 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by TLDude876
Only the yellow ring should be adjusted. I am yet to figure out a way to do this without removing the wheel tho, if possible at all.
Can u squeeze ur arms to reach the coils after the car is lifted? you can, it'll just be a tight squeeze and you'll forearms will be dirty afterwards
Old 06-20-2011, 11:03 PM
Safety Car

well that's great to hear.... my rear spring rates are out of spec now thanks to my un-educated ass.

does anyone know how i can possible re-adjust the spring rates back to stock somehow? got a feeling that's not possible.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:12 PM
Racer

to my understanding the top two spanner nuts should be "locked" together. by using the middle nut, you spin the whole body...as long as they're locked. I believe you only change the spring rates, if you spin the top collar, which does not happen if they are locked...I actually called marcus on this today.... how else could you spin the whole body?
Old 06-20-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
easy to re-adjust the spring preload. you should set it to zero preload, meaning there is no load on the spring when there is no weight on it. what you do is jack up the car and take off the wheel. now that theres no weight on the suspension, adjust the rings below the spring so that the spring sits slightly snug, not too loose or tight, you should be able to rotate the springs by hand. do the same for all sides, and double check by measuring the distance of the spring with a tape measure
vietxquangstah (06-21-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
well that's great to hear.... my rear spring rates are out of spec now thanks to my un-educated ass.

does anyone know how i can possible re-adjust the spring rates back to stock somehow? got a feeling that's not possible.
The length of the spring (from bottom of tophat to top of locking collar) shouldn't be any longer than a certain length, forgot what the number is ... I think its in the thread when the htspec was still in production

Originally Posted by Dino81
to my understanding the top two spanner nuts should be "locked" together. by using the middle nut, you spin the whole body...as long as they're locked. I believe you only change the spring rates, if you spin the top collar, which does not happen if they are locked...I actually called marcus on this today.... how else could you spin the whole body?
? to adjust height, just loosen the "yellow" part highlighted above ... then grab the entire shock and spin it

It should spin easily unless theres little rocks or sand in the thread blocking it
Old 06-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Safety Car

i thank you two VERY much...

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
easy to re-adjust the spring preload. you should set it to zero preload, meaning there is no load on the spring when there is no weight on it. what you do is jack up the car and take off the wheel. now that theres no weight on the suspension, adjust the rings below the spring so that the spring sits slightly snug, not too loose or tight, you should be able to rotate the springs by hand. do the same for all sides, and double check by measuring the distance of the spring with a tape measure
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
The length of the spring (from bottom of tophat to top of locking collar) shouldn't be any longer than a certain length, forgot what the number is ... I think its in the thread when the htspec was still in production

? to adjust height, just loosen the "yellow" part highlighted above ... then grab the entire shock and spin it

It should spin easily unless theres little rocks or sand in the thread blocking it
Old 06-21-2011, 01:25 AM
06 ThugLuv

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You can adjust them by the top two rings under the spring but healtoe sends them to you is already adjusted to the spring rates that are perfect. and if you do that you will avoid the warranty. thats why you adjust it with the with the yellow ring.

unfortunately i didn't know that and adjusted my front coils. i don't remember how much i adjusted them so to get them back to where they where im going to contact healtoe to get the measurement from the bottom end of the coil (with the red sleeve that sits in the fork, screwed off) to the bottom of the lower red ring.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 AM
Drifting

Here you go guys, did some fishing:

Originally Posted by sac2006TL
... I did call Preston again today and he told me that the distance between the bottom of the top hat and the top of the lower rubber mount on the spring should be in the 220mm - 215mm range for the proper pre-load. He said it should be NO MORE than 215mm. I am going to measure when I get time.
found on post #210 of HT spec tuning...: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=spec&page=6
The following 2 users liked this post by jwr0ng626:
CaliWowie (06-21-2011), vietxquangstah (06-21-2011)
Old 06-21-2011, 06:08 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Can u squeeze ur arms to reach the coils after the car is lifted? you can, it'll just be a tight squeeze and you'll forearms will be dirty afterwards
I can get to it but I cant move it by hand
Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Racer

I think u guys are missing my point, when the top spring perch collars are locked together, the spring rates won't change. You use the bottom top spanner to turn the whole body with the wrench. At least that's what marcus and the instructions say...I guess u could turn it by hand...but why? When they provide u with a wrench, for that specific reason.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:53 PM
06 ThugLuv

I think u guys are missing my point, when the top spring perch collars are locked together, the spring rates won't change. You use the bottom top spanner to turn the whole body with the wrench. At least that's what marcus and the instructions say...I guess u could turn it by hand...but why? When they provide u with a wrench, for that specific reason.

yeah ur right. i actually loosend the bottom locking ring and adjusted the top ring..then re tightend the locking ring so my spring rates are off.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Safety Car

Here you go guys, did some fishing:

found on post #210 of HT spec tuning...: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ht=spec&page=6
awesome
Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
Drifting

AHH ok I see what u mean. I'll try this method next time
Old 06-21-2011, 05:17 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Sorry if I confused you but my response was directed at jwong regarding adjusting the coils without removing the wheel.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:51 PM
Drifting

^sounds like a tight squeeze.. ur best bet is prob taking off the wheel (its what I do... but on my stockies i'm able to adjust it w/ wheels on w/ no problem lol)
Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 AM
Safety Car

distance between the bottom of the top hat and the top of the lower rubber mount on the spring should be in the 220mm - 215mm range for the proper pre-load. He said it should be NO MORE than 215mm.

ok im a bit confused and have 2 questions.

1. where is the "lower rubber mount"? i'm trying to figure out so i know where exactly i'm supposed to measure. in the picture i posted above, which way is the correct way to measure the spring to get 215mm? i see a little black thing located right under the top hats and i'm assuming those are the "lower rubber mounts"?
2. does the "215mm-220mm" apply to both the fronts and the rear?
Old 06-22-2011, 01:48 AM
Drifting

did u measure both? what were ur numbers?
^I measured the yellow
Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Safety Car

did u measure both? what were ur numbers?
^I measured the yellow
no i haven't measured anything yet. the picture that i linked was of a card that was included with my coilover kit. those aren't really my coilovers, but just a picture on a card that i took a picture of for reference.

i think i will get to measuring my fronts today to see what number i get.

when you measured the yellow, what number did you get?

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 06-22-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 PM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
Shit im confused on this part as well. I Loosened the Bottom nut and adjusted the two top nuts above to raise my car by raising the Thread instead of adjusting the spring because when I installed the Coilovers I left the adjustment the way they came in the box and my car was so low i couldn't even move it back or forward so it basically at on the Tires. So I raised it and it went up so much I tightened the bottom nut to make sure the thread didn't come out the sleeve and loosened the two top ones to compress the spring and try and raise the car that way. My car is still Low as SHIT and im not sure if I raise it any more from the Bottom Nut that the Thread will come off the sleeve. If I don't make sense let me know and ill take pics and try to explain more. Also does anyone know how tall the thread is from top to bottom so that i know how much more thread i have to raise the car from the bottom Nut
Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

alright so i got around to raising my car today and i just got done doing the driver front.

while doing so, i took a picture so you can see what i measured for the springs.

this first picture is me measuring the spring length starting from directly under the tophat. just like the picture i linked earlier and i highlighted it with yellow.

this second picture is me measuring the same coil, but this time i started under the little black thing that i'm assuming is the "lower rubber mount"

i have no clue if my original installer tampered with my front coil spring rates at all, so these readings are not 100% stock from right out the box. i wish someone who hasn't touched their spring rates at all would give us a measurement with pictures...
Old 06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
05 AM TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My fronts and rears measure differently. From the Top hat: 209mm (front) 228mm (rear)
Old 06-22-2011, 03:09 PM
06 ThugLuv

i really wish healtoe would jump on this thread to clear this all up
Old 06-22-2011, 03:28 PM
06 ThugLuv

Originally Posted by Mafyoso
Shit im confused on this part as well. I Loosened the Bottom nut and adjusted the two top nuts above to raise my car by raising the Thread instead of adjusting the spring because when I installed the Coilovers I left the adjustment the way they came in the box and my car was so low i couldn't even move it back or forward so it basically at on the Tires. So I raised it and it went up so much I tightened the bottom nut to make sure the thread didn't come out the sleeve and loosened the two top ones to compress the spring and try and raise the car that way. My car is still Low as SHIT and im not sure if I raise it any more from the Bottom Nut that the Thread will come off the sleeve. If I don't make sense let me know and ill take pics and try to explain more. Also does anyone know how tall the thread is from top to bottom so that i know how much more thread i have to raise the car from the bottom Nut
the fork the red sleeve fits in is hallow. see if you can put you finger through the bottom and feel where the gold thread shaft ends in the red sleeve. you sould be able to raise it. to where you dont have that problem.

so did you loosen the top two red locking rings like apart from each other and raise the top red locking ring to raise your car?
Mafyoso (06-22-2011)
Old 06-22-2011, 03:40 PM
06 ThugLuv

I have an idea but my gov. computer blocks the healtoe site. can somebody go to the healtoe site and email them this link, explain the issue we have, and request them to post the correct measurments on this thread. A answer from them will be the end all to this madness.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

WOW WHAT FUCKING LUCK I HAVE? ok so i adjusted the front driver, put the tire on, lowered the car. liked the new raised height. went over to the passenger front. raised it, took tire off, adjusted the coil just like the other side.

tried to put the tire back on, but the car was still too low so i had to raise the car just a tad bit more. as i was raising the car using the spare tire jack (the black jack that comes with the car) out of no where the car slips and BAM fucking hits the ground.

end result =

the jack was wedged between my front right sideskirt. i managed to wiggle it loose only to find out that it's been bent from the weight of the car sitting on it. NOW IM FUCKED

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 06-22-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Drifting

OMFG, NO WAY, that sucks so bad

damnnnnn sry man..

were u able to get the car up and the wheel back on?
Old 06-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Balling in the...

Originally Posted by CaliWowie
the fork the red sleeve fits in is hallow. see if you can put you finger through the bottom and feel where the gold thread shaft ends in the red sleeve. you sould be able to raise it. to where you dont have that problem.

so did you loosen the top two red locking rings like apart from each other and raise the top red locking ring to raise your car?
Yea I lossen the top two red locking rings to raise up the car cause I was scared of going to far up from the bottom Ring. I will check the Red sleeve to see where the Gold Threads shaft is at. I didnt think of that. Good Looks

WOW WHAT FUCKING LUCK I HAVE? ok so i adjusted the front driver, put the tire on, lowered the car. liked the new raised height. went over to the passenger front. raised it, took tire off, adjusted the coil just like the other side.

tried to put the tire back on, but the car was still too low so i had to raise the car just a tad bit more. as i was raising the car using the spare tire jack (the black jack that comes with the car) out of no where the car slips and BAM fucking hits the ground.

end result =

the jack was wedged between my front right sideskirt. i managed to wiggle it loose only to find out that it's been bent from the weight of the car sitting on it. NOW IM FUCKED

Dam Bro that shit sucks, Them Jacks are really only to change a spare tire. I never us them shit for that same reason. Also did you have the Ebrake up? That my have been ur problem. But yeah Word of Advise... Buy a check 40 dollar Jack from Walmart that is better than the one that comes with the car.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:19 PM
Balling in the...

I have an idea but my gov. computer blocks the healtoe site. can somebody go to the healtoe site and email them this link, explain the issue we have, and request them to post the correct measurments on this thread. A answer from them will be the end all to this madness.
I Submitted a Ticket on Healtoes Website with the link of this thread to see if they can clear up any of our questions.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Drifting

here was my type 1 install with 3/4" threaded on the bottom... too bad i didnt get an entire thread measurement

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-tires-wheels-suspension-97/ht-spec-type-1-coilovers-794792/

I BELIEVE the entire threaded portion measures 8 inches
Old 06-22-2011, 04:35 PM
06 ThugLuv

F.UR.L!!!

But props to you for posting your problems on here w/ pics. This info will help others not make this mistake. Your going to get this fixed though. I fucked up my car, not like this but its frusturating. my fix will cost me 226.00 from the dealer. Live and learn homie.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:41 PM
Drifting

..this first picture is me measuring the spring length starting from directly under the tophat. just like the picture i linked earlier and i highlighted it with yellow...
Your first measurement is right.. start from bottom of tophat. 215-220 mm = 8.4-8.6 inches
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM
06 ThugLuv

I Submitted a Ticket on Healtoes Website with the link of this thread to see if they can clear up any of our questions.

You are a thug. Thanks man. So now we wait...

Yeah when I put my coils on I screwed the red sleeve on all the way then took my car off the lift. The tires were holding up my car! The hobby shop I was at was going to close so I raised it by the springs. Then after two weeks my coils settled in and I was dragging my front everywhere. So I adjusted them the correct way. Now I want to lower my springs to where they were, then raise it the correct way to keep the height I’m at.

But yeah man we fuxed up, voided warranty and have off spring rates...o well, we'll figure this sheezy out
Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 PM
Safety Car

OMFG, NO WAY, that sucks so bad

damnnnnn sry man..

were u able to get the car up and the wheel back on?
still trying to get raise it up and get the wheel back on right now. i have a jack, but it's either my lack of knowledge or the jack is messed up, but when i pump the handle up and down the jack doesn't move at all.

maybe someone that knows how to operate a jack can show me? never thought i'd be online asking this question. here's a pic of the jack i have.

i see the part where you can spin the handle clockwise and the nipple will lock it into place to the point where you can't pull the stick out. well i turned it clockwise and than proceeded to do a pumping action, all the way up and down. the jack doesn't budge at all.

than i tried moving the nipple to where it doesn't lock in place (you can slide the rod in or out, it's not locked in place) and also proceeded to do a pumping motion and the jack still doesn't move.

am i missing something here?? if i could just get this jack to work, i'm pretty sure i'll have my tire back on in no time. but because i don't have a jack to raise my car, i have to wait another hour and a half until my friend gets here with her low-profile jack.

Dam Bro that shit sucks, Them Jacks are really only to change a spare tire. I never us them shit for that same reason. Also did you have the Ebrake up? That my have been ur problem. But yeah Word of Advise... Buy a check 40 dollar Jack from Walmart that is better than the one that comes with the car.
yeah i had my e-brake pulled way the fuck up. as in to where it doesn't even click anymore when you pull it. now i know not to use these shitty jacks anymore...

F.UR.L!!!

But props to you for posting your problems on here w/ pics. This info will help others not make this mistake. Your going to get this fixed though. I fucked up my car, not like this but its frusturating. my fix will cost me 226.00 from the dealer. Live and learn homie.
yeah hopefully others see my mistakes and are smart enough to not go the same route as i did. what happened to me hurt so bad..... i would hate to see this happen to another person.

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 06-22-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Balling in the...

Oh Dam messing with the spring rate voids the warranty? Well lucky I purchased them without the Eibach Springs LMAO
Old 06-22-2011, 04:53 PM
Drifting

yo vietquang, you see that little thing protruding out of the jack like underneath where u pump?

stick the end of the jack handle into it, TIGHTEN it (turn it clockwise)

then try pumping it again

Quick Reply: Proper way to adjust height on F&F Coilover