McGard lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:39 PM
WDP Group!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
McGard lug nuts

Hey everyone quick question, does anyone run a set of Mcgard lug nuts with lock nut?

u go on there site and it says only for use with aftermarket wheels,

but I've used Mcgard kits for every car I've ever owned,

is the TL different?

http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/comp...a&ymm_model=TL

look on the bottom in notes
Old 04-30-2014, 03:47 PM
TLX-S

Received 225 Likes on 172 Posts
OEM wheels require Ball Seat lug nuts/wheel locks.

Those are Cone Seat and its not recommended on OEM wheels, but others run them with no problems.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:00 PM
WDP Group!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
thanks for the quick reply
Old 05-01-2014, 09:46 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Don't use cone/acorn seat nuts on your stock wheels. Although some have used them without problems, you still run the risk of having catastrophic failure. You see, instead of the entire seat of the lugnut taking the pressure of the torque on the wheel, there is only a circle taking that same torque. You might use them for 10 years and never have a problem, or you might use them for 10 days and lose a wheel at speed.

Have a read of this thread. In it, Titanium2K2 actually measures the difference between ball and cone seats (51 degrees and 60 degrees respectively.) 9 degrees difference from an engineering standpoint is quite a bit.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ght=wheel+lock
Old 05-02-2014, 11:22 PM
2008 WDP Base TL

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wtffffff so then why do they come with the TL? (I'm assuming they do in the 07-08)
Old 05-03-2014, 12:43 AM
TLX-S

Originally Posted by kev08wdp
Wtffffff so then why do they come with the TL? (I'm assuming they do in the 07-08)
The ones that come with the TL are ball seat and made specifically for Honda/Acura by McGard
The following users liked this post:
kev08wdp (05-04-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by wilzrsx
The ones that come with the TL are ball seat and made specifically for Honda/Acura by McGard
Ok, here's my dilemma:

I was out doing some work on my car a few minutes ago and found that my wheel lock key is nowhere to be found...it turns out that the place I took my TL to for a rotation and balance just last week never put the key back into my vehicle, and after calling them, they don't know where it is either.

So then I have two options:

1) Try to get a replacement key from McGard. Problem: I didn't get an ID card, since I bought the wheel lock key set directly from the dealer back in 2010. It sounds fishy, I know, but to make a long story short, they had a hard time removing my wheels for service once so they had to break off the lug nuts, and so the mechanic offered me a new set of Honda (aka McGard)-branded wheel locks to make up for it. It was clearly an older set (unused), but it has served me well.

I know in the past their replacement key policy was to, in extreme cases, to just take a picture of the wheel lug nut and they could determine the replacement, but it looks like that policy is a not in effect anymore.

2) Just buy a new set of wheel locks. $20 isn't bad, so I'm ok with this option, especially since it will bring an ID card for the future. The problem I see is that because our TLs are ball-seat (as you mentioned), that means that I can't find that specific type anywhere. The results on the McGard website are all cone seat-style, and since I have OEM wheels, it says "see dealer". Really?

If anyone has some guidance on that direction, that would be great...obviously I want this to be figured out ASAP because if I end up getting a flat or something as I drive, I would be absolutely SCREWED. And I want to avoid that from happening.

Thanks guys!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:16 PM
TLX-S

Originally Posted by DuoDSG
Ok, here's my dilemma:

I was out doing some work on my car a few minutes ago and found that my wheel lock key is nowhere to be found...it turns out that the place I took my TL to for a rotation and balance just last week never put the key back into my vehicle, and after calling them, they don't know where it is either.

So then I have two options:

1) Try to get a replacement key from McGard. Problem: I didn't get an ID card, since I bought the wheel lock key set directly from the dealer back in 2010. It sounds fishy, I know, but to make a long story short, they had a hard time removing my wheels for service once so they had to break off the lug nuts, and so the mechanic offered me a new set of Honda (aka McGard)-branded wheel locks to make up for it. It was clearly an older set (unused), but it has served me well.

I know in the past their replacement key policy was to, in extreme cases, to just take a picture of the wheel lug nut and they could determine the replacement, but it looks like that policy is a not in effect anymore.

2) Just buy a new set of wheel locks. $20 isn't bad, so I'm ok with this option, especially since it will bring an ID card for the future. The problem I see is that because our TLs are ball-seat (as you mentioned), that means that I can't find that specific type anywhere. The results on the McGard website are all cone seat-style, and since I have OEM wheels, it says "see dealer". Really?

If anyone has some guidance on that direction, that would be great...obviously I want this to be figured out ASAP because if I end up getting a flat or something as I drive, I would be absolutely SCREWED. And I want to avoid that from happening.

Thanks guys!
Since the lock set you got was a Honda branded one, go to a Honda dealer and tell them you lost the key, they will check it with their master set and they can sell you just the key, probably $15-$20. You'll need to show them proof that you own the car, like your ID and registration.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
Dealer:
08W42-SEP-200 WHEEL LOCK KIT $50.25 $37.69

TM Engineering 12x1.5, $29.95, you'll need to know the length:
http://www.tmengineering.net/wheels/...all_locks.html

Check over on ebay:
Chrome Wheel Locks Lug Nuts for Acura (M12 X 1.5 Thread Size) R12 Ball Seat
$18.95 free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_saca...+locks&_sop=15

Last edited by Turbonut; 05-08-2014 at 05:59 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Ok, update:

Just got off the phone with the only Honda dealership in town. They don't have a master set available. So I called another one in Salt Lake (two hours south) and they do have two sets- they cannibalize from the one set while they keep the other one complete for service. If they haven't sold that particular key to someone, they can sell it to me on the spot and my price basically goes towards ordering a replacement for them. Kinda weird, because they would be charging me $35-40 for the KEY ALONE.

That seems a bit outrageous, seeing as how I can order a new set + key for $20 from the website Turbonut shared. And they said it might take two weeks to get a new one anyway if this dealer doesn't have it on hand.

So this is my plan: I will go down there while I'm town (for other reasons) and get the specifics on what my locks are. If they have the key, and if they drop their price, I might bite. Otherwise, I will just walk out of the dealer and order the closed-end nuts on the page TurboNut shared, since that's the kind I currently have on my TL and they are perfect. I have no need for bolts or open-ended ones, which are too small anyway.

I did tell the tech that I could get a new set for $20, which he was dumbfounded by- he said "wow, even I can't get them at that price." So maybe there's some room for me to negotiate there.

I'll let you know how it goes. The interesting part will be breaking the old ones off if I have to get a new set. Yikes.

Last edited by DuoDSG; 05-08-2014 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:19 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Take Your car to a local wheel shop. They can take your locks off with a tool that reverse threads them and takes them off. Just make sure you have another set to go on.