Just Bought A Spec Suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just Bought A Spec Suspension...

Well, I just bit the bullet and bought the suspension off Ebay...

Can someone please assure me that this can be installed without the rest of the A Spec kit (ie 18 inch wheels, brake pad upgrade) with NO issues? Don't know why, but I just got nervous that maybe the kit isn't supposed to be installed piecemeal...

I know many have done the suspension alone, I guess I just want to be assured that this is ok per Acura.

I may do the wheels or body kit later, but for now I'm just looking at having the suspension installed.

Oh yeah, one more thing....for those of you that have installed the suspension only, how much did your dealer charge? Thanks.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
definatly get the rest of the kit right away...well worth it :-)
Old 02-24-2005, 07:32 PM
SSH
Advanced

Congrats! You won't regret the purchase. The A-Spec suspension is magic -- it transforms the car.

I had mine installed on Saturday, no issues with the dealer. He was more than happy to take my money

I called six dealers and all had different pricing. I got mine installed for $456 with a four wheel alignment -- the top quote was $1100
Old 02-24-2005, 08:18 PM
信是寶

Originally Posted by SSH
Congrats! You won't regret the purchase. The A-Spec suspension is magic -- it transforms the car.

I had mine installed on Saturday, no issues with the dealer. He was more than happy to take my money

I called six dealers and all had different pricing. I got mine installed for $456 with a four wheel alignment -- the top quote was $1100

I just ordered mine, also on eBay from a dealer in Cali (aofeparts) great service. I called my local dealers and also received many different prices quotes?!?

I have the 6MT and just ordered the wheels and suspension. It is difficult to find a dealer that will give you the pieces, as they all want to sell you the entire package for $5k+when all I want are the wheels and shocks. I hope the shocks are worth the extra grand installed. All my friends are busting my balls for the suspension, saying it is not worth it - it's not a Porsche. Only time will tell I guess ...
Old 02-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
[QUOTE=EMF213]Well, I just bit the bullet and bought the suspension off Ebay...

Can someone please assure me that this can be installed without the rest of the A Spec kit (ie 18 inch wheels, brake pad upgrade) with NO issues? Don't know why, but I just got nervous that maybe the kit isn't supposed to be installed piecemeal...p/QUOTE]

Yes, it can. This is how it is on my car. It's no problem from Acura itself, just with dealers who want to sell you the whole kit.

Oh yeah, one more thing....for those of you that have installed the suspension only, how much did your dealer charge? Thanks.
My dealer charged $250, but I get all my service done there, so I got a break. YMMV, can't hurt to ask.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tecciztecatl
I just ordered mine, also on eBay from a dealer in Cali (aofeparts) great service. I called my local dealers and also received many different prices quotes?!?

I have the 6MT and just ordered the wheels and suspension. It is difficult to find a dealer that will give you the pieces, as they all want to sell you the entire package for $5k+when all I want are the wheels and shocks. I hope the shocks are worth the extra grand installed. All my friends are busting my balls for the suspension, saying it is not worth it - it's not a Porsche. Only time will tell I guess ...
That's who I bought from. The service appears excellent!! They already sent me the UPS tracking number.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:34 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So how much was

PARTS:

LABOR:

TOTAL:

For aspec suspension???
Old 02-24-2005, 09:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
My dealer charged $250, but I get all my service done there, so I got a break. YMMV, can't hurt to ask.
Bob, When you say "it's no problem from Acura itself" did you get any type of confirmation from them, or did your dealer say it was ok?

BTW, I read your review of the suspension and it was very informative.
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by EMF213
Bob, When you say "it's no problem from Acura itself" did you get any type of confirmation from them, or did your dealer say it was ok?

BTW, I read your review of the suspension and it was very informative.
Thanks.

what is the URL to his review?

I'm interesting in doing it..

how does it change the ride quality?

i know it drops the car .5 inches all around...
Old 02-24-2005, 09:38 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jerky
So how much was

PARTS:

LABOR:

TOTAL:

For aspec suspension???

Who are you asking? I just bought the parts ($660 shipped from cali to NJ)...I haven't gotten an instal quote from my dealer yet...
Old 02-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Racer

what is the URL to his review?

I'm interesting in doing it..

how does it change the ride quality?

i know it drops the car .5 inches all around...

Look under his last post. You can click to read his review...
Old 02-24-2005, 09:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SSH

Do you just have the suspension or the whole kit?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:37 PM
SSH
Advanced

Do you just have the suspension or the whole kit?
I've got the body kit and suspension now, wheels are next up.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:56 AM

Who are you asking? I just bought the parts ($660 shipped from cali to NJ)...I haven't gotten an instal quote from my dealer yet...

who did you get the parts from thats a good deal?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:29 AM
Racer

who did you get the parts from thats a good deal?
Acura of Escondido. They have a couple more on Ebay right now. Buy It Now price of $600 + $60 for shipping and insurance. Your shipping will probably be cheaper though...
Old 02-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SSH
I've got the body kit and suspension now, wheels are next up.
Nice! Would you mind fiving me a brief review of the suspension? In other words, when you say it totally transforms the car, can you elaborate?

Also, I'm a little worried about the drop, as I think the TL is low enough...I know it's only half an inch, but how noticable is it? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Instructor

"Acura of Escondido. They have a couple more on Ebay right now. Buy It Now price of $600 + $60 for shipping and insurance. Your shipping will probably be cheaper though..."

Can you post a link for this >>>>> I can't seem to find it on ebay, or there phone number>>>>

Thanks
Old 02-25-2005, 09:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ZQQM
"Acura of Escondido. They have a couple more on Ebay right now. Buy It Now price of $600 + $60 for shipping and insurance. Your shipping will probably be cheaper though..."

Can you post a link for this >>>>> I can't seem to find it on ebay, or there phone number>>>>

Thanks
They must have ended. Here's a link to an auction for the suspension PLUS rims...Just email them, they will respond quickly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33590
Old 02-25-2005, 11:30 AM
SSH
Advanced

Nice! Would you mind fiving me a brief review of the suspension? In other words, when you say it totally transforms the car, can you elaborate?

Also, I'm a little worried about the drop, as I think the TL is low enough...I know it's only half an inch, but how noticable is it? Thanks.
The best way I can describe the suspension is "BMW-esque". It’s firm but not harsh and never jarring. Greatly reduced body roll with better turn-in. TL is now more stable at high-speeds. IE the car is more fun to drive.

I've had no problem with the drop so far but then again I've always been a little careful because of the body kit.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:38 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I wonder if this adds a lot more firmness if you have the 18" rims with low profile tires. My car rattles enough as it is, don't need more road feel to vibrate more But I do want the added performance...

Jerky, we should both get them and have them installed.
Old 02-25-2005, 01:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SSH
The best way I can describe the suspension is "BMW-esque". It’s firm but not harsh and never jarring. Greatly reduced body roll with better turn-in. TL is now more stable at high-speeds. IE the car is more fun to drive.

I've had no problem with the drop so far but then again I've always been a little careful because of the body kit.

Ahh, Beautiful!! Just what I wanted to hear!! Thanks!
Old 02-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Licking Platters Clean

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
definatly get the rest of the kit right away...well worth it :-)
I highly disagree. Just get the suspension and some nice 18 or 19 inch aftermarket rims of your choice. No need to tack on the extra plastic driveway plow body kit and ricey steering wheel with blue thread. What you will end up with is a very nice handling car that retains its original elegance.

I paid $650 for the kit from Curry Acura on eBay and paid $425 to have it installed at my local dealer after a bit of negotiating.

Good luck!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
I highly disagree. Just get the suspension and some nice 18 or 19 inch aftermarket rims of your choice. No need to tack on the extra plastic driveway plow body kit and ricey steering wheel with blue thread. What you will end up with is a very nice handling car that retains its original elegance.

I paid $650 for the kit from Curry Acura on eBay and paid $425 to have it installed at my local dealer after a bit of negotiating.

Good luck!
$425?? YIKES!!!!
Old 02-26-2005, 11:33 AM
信是寶

$425?? YIKES!!!!

Yup ... mine is being shipped right now and I have been calling different dealers to get quotes. They say from 1.2 hrs per shock to 1.5 or 4-6 hours for the entire car, depending on what dealership you call. @ $90/hr ...you do the math! ...
Old 02-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, performance shops should be able to handle that for a lot cheaper. I'd say no more than $150. Here in Socal, it's around $60-100 for all 4 corners.

They don't have to compress the springs, they just need to remove the original shock assy, then install the a-spec assy, that's it. Even a DIY can handle it without much difficulty.
Old 02-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Racer

Yup ... mine is being shipped right now and I have been calling different dealers to get quotes. They say from 1.2 hrs per shock to 1.5 or 4-6 hours for the entire car, depending on what dealership you call. @ $90/hr ...you do the math! ...
See that avitar of yours? That's me right now! lol
Old 02-26-2005, 04:26 PM
信是寶

Originally Posted by 260 HP
Actually, performance shops should be able to handle that for a lot cheaper. I'd say no more than $150. Here in Socal, it's around $60-100 for all 4 corners.

They don't have to compress the springs, they just need to remove the original shock assy, then install the a-spec assy, that's it. Even a DIY can handle it without much difficulty.

I heard that they also have to remove the back seats for the rear two? I am not sure, just what I have heard ...I will find out when I receive the shocks and read the directions :-)
Old 02-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Racer

I heard that they also have to remove the back seats for the rear two? I am not sure, just what I have heard ...I will find out when I receive the shocks and read the directions :-)
I believe that's correct.
Old 02-27-2005, 12:46 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

They not only have to remove the back seat but also the C-pillars and rear shelf deck in order to get to the rear springs. That is a lot of extra work involving interior panel removal, which is hard if you don't have the right tools. I'd be scared of letting a performance shop do it if they can't order the Acura parts if they damage something.