I think my shocks are blown

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 03:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation I think my shocks are blown

My ride quality feels really shitty tonight, im feeling all the bumps and after going some uneven roads on the fwy the ride feels somewhat bouncy. I think after going pretty fast down on the 5 fwy south around irvine spectrum blew it, since there is a few dips around the area. I can feel my stomach go down and then quickly back up in those parts of the fwy.

So when i got back home i opened the trunk of my car and my dads 2000 E430 and pressed down on the trunk edge. on the e class i can push down more with ease than mine plus it feels smoother, while on my car it feels very stiff and doesn't go down easily. Im thinking im riding on the springs and on my way home i thought buying springs was the dumbest thing i've done.

So im thinking about getting those koni shocks asap and put it in the softest settings hoping the ride quality will be close back to stock or will that be a bad idea? and what can i do to verify my shocks are blown?

Thanks in advance
Old 07-11-2005, 07:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by VelfarreClubber
My ride quality feels really shitty tonight, im feeling all the bumps and after going some uneven roads on the fwy the ride feels somewhat bouncy. I think after going pretty fast down on the 5 fwy south around irvine spectrum blew it, since there is a few dips around the area. I can feel my stomach go down and then quickly back up in those parts of the fwy.

So when i got back home i opened the trunk of my car and my dads 2000 E430 and pressed down on the trunk edge. on the e class i can push down more with ease than mine plus it feels smoother, while on my car it feels very stiff and doesn't go down easily. Im thinking im riding on the springs and on my way home i thought buying springs was the dumbest thing i've done.

So im thinking about getting those koni shocks asap and put it in the softest settings hoping the ride quality will be close back to stock or will that be a bad idea? and what can i do to verify my shocks are blown?

Thanks in advance

How many miles do you have? If your shocks are blown you will know. In a lot of cases it will get very floaty and bouncy. another way to know is if you hit a man hole that is below the surface or any pot hole the tire will stutter and go up and down really fast and sound ind of like a jack hammer noice. I have 15k on my comptechs and mine feel fine.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you can test your suspension against the E class. that car is designed to be more of a cruiser than sport sedan. the suspension will travel easier and be softer. the TL's suspension is stiffer and i am pretty surprised as how stiff it was compared to most oem sport suspensions. i had a 3 series before this and the ride was softer when on the oem shocks than the TL. i of course "upgraded" to a sportier suspension and it was a nightmare as the stiffness drove me mad. since your TL is fairly new get it checked out at the shop before you go spending bucks on suspension parts.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro

Get the Koni Sports. I did and their great! if you want a ride, come up to El Segundo and I'll show you.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:55 PM
Burning Brakes

just check for fluid (oil) from the shock.. squeeze it and compare to the other shocks.. one thing you can look for is dirt that is around the shock/spring area.. usually the oil leaks and dirt gets stuck.. and since it's oil that is leaking, the dirt gets stuck more easily and harder to wash off.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks GoBig and the replies guys, after a day of driving i determined that the shocks are fine. I probably freaked out since that night back home i had a horrible headache and the next morning woke up to some food poisning.

GoBig i would definately like to see how the car rides, i'll contact you sometime soon
Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by GoBig
Get the Koni Sports. I did and their great! if you want a ride, come up to El Segundo and I'll show you.
These shocks don't yet exist for the '04/5 TL according to Koni's web site.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by DMZ
These shocks don't yet exist for the '04/5 TL according to Koni's web site.
Same shocks as what the 03 and up Accords are using. The Accord and TL share the exact same suspension configuration. They are Neuspeed/Koni Shocks and are adjustable according to spring and ride heights. Trust me, I have them and they are a great improvement.

You can find out more here Neuspeed Koni Shocks
Old 07-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey GoBig...

Did you end up going with the Koni Sports or the Neuspeed Konis with your Goldline spring setup?
Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by special-ed
Did you end up going with the Koni Sports or the Neuspeed Konis with your Goldline spring setup?
Neuspeed Koni's. They're essentially the same neuspeed vs. sport except the Neuspeeds have more ride height adjustability.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Yo GoBig

Hey thanks for the response back. Based on the link you provided, looks like I'll be ordering the following:

PN :. 8041.1322LSP3 for front left
PN :. 8041.1322RSP3 for front right
PN :. 8041.1329SP3 for the rears

And you haven't had any problems with them even though they're spec'd for the accord (but knowing the TL and Accord share the same chassis)?

Also, did you end up going with ingalls or spc for the camber since Gold Line drops 1.75" ?

Thanks for the help. Probably looking at the same exact setup less the springs since I went ahead and cheaped out and got the Teins but should see a similar drop. Plus I'm on 19's so that may change everything.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:04 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by special-ed
Hey thanks for the response back. Based on the link you provided, looks like I'll be ordering the following:

PN :. 8041.1322LSP3 for front left
PN :. 8041.1322RSP3 for front right
PN :. 8041.1329SP3 for the rears

And you haven't had any problems with them even though they're spec'd for the accord (but knowing the TL and Accord share the same chassis)?

Also, did you end up going with ingalls or spc for the camber since Gold Line drops 1.75" ?

Thanks for the help. Probably looking at the same exact setup less the springs since I went ahead and cheaped out and got the Teins but should see a similar drop. Plus I'm on 19's so that may change everything.
No problems at all...trust me, it's a huge improvement.

Yes, I've got Ingalls Camber Kit...just for the rear. The front's not a problem.

I've got 19's as well.

Contact this guy KONI You can buy from him direct and if you are in Cali you'll get them within a day or two.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 AM
Instructor

So....I should forget about getting the S techs and go with the coilover setup?