HT-Spec Tuning - Function&Form Type-2 Damper - TL Specific Application

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Originally Posted by ILLustriousUA6
i would love to see how low these go..
Low enough that you won't be able to drive the car. Literally on the ground.
Old 10-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
Hi! Both kits are great. Let's see if we can narrow it down at all.

The HT-Spec dampers are going to have a better range in height than the SS, especially if you want it in the lower range. The dampers in the Tein kit are more refined in how they control the body movement of the car, but it is sort-of a thin line between the two. The HT-Spec kit is very smooth and controlled as well. The HT-Specs are designed to fit as many needs as possible across the TL driver's spectrum including bang for the buck and ease of installation. The Teins might have a tad more damping refinement, but what they gain there is not worth the cost to many, since unless you are a more discerning and experienced driver you might not even be able to tell the difference.

The kit F2 has is SIMILAR to the EDFC, but not the same. The F2 unit is mostly wireless (MUCH better than running wires all over the place as with the Tein kit). Also it supposedly has 5 memory settings for the ride versus 3 on the EDFC.

We have not had an opportunity to test it yet, but F2 has and it seems like it has been working flawlessly for years for them.

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm in the process of saving up, hopefully can afford these soon. Also I'll hopefully be able to read some more reviews as more people get them installed!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 PM
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 123 Posts
just installed yesterday!

extreemeely easy to install and adjust height..

these are my first set of coils so I can't compare to others.. but I have tested out eibach springs, ground controls (on other cars) and these by FAR are the most comfortable cruising on freeway, streets, and over small-medium size bumps. Large bumps throw me around a bit (but im sure all coils will do that i assume?)

handle wise - these things are amazing! freeway on and offramps =x turning onto streets without stopping, it has given me more confidence in taking it with higher entry speed (than I did with stock setup) and it keeps the car pretty stable.

I have them set at almost the highest stance (bottom of sleeve threaded at 3/4" all the way around) with a drop of about 1" in the front and 1/2" in the rear (it's pretty low for me.. i had to remove that vertical plastic piece under the car because it kept scraping Haha!

overall impressions - I WAS going for an even higher stance (yes, higher) because I didn't want my dad to find out I lowered the car, but at the highest posssible settings (that i felt comfortable with at 3/4" - instead of 1/2") I lowered 1" in the front and 1/2" in the rear... it sounds like a little but I will post pics sooon. I love the way it handles.. I would never expect a big-ish car like a TL taking turns the way I was. There is a knocking in the rear passanger.. but Marcus assured me it was gna happen with all aftermarket suspension and that it'll be ok (although I would want to get that checked/looked into for other users) These feel great, going as low as you want is not a problem, and I hope to hear other people's reponses once they install!

-Jeff
Old 10-07-2010, 06:03 PM
Chapter Leader (Central New Jersey)

Received 220 Likes on 202 Posts
^^^thanx for taking the time to tell us what you think.....sounds like heeltoe came through for us aziners on this project...as soon as i get a lttle more money saved im making my order..cant wait.....post some pics soon man !!

Last edited by 07tl-s6spd; 10-07-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Chapter Leader (Central Florida)

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0ng626
i had to remove that vertical plastic piece under the car because it kept scraping Haha!
Put that back on!! it is necessary for engine cooling.

There is a knocking in the rear passanger
go back over your swaybar endlinks, its really easy to have one not tightened completely and can cause a clunking knock
Old 10-08-2010, 02:33 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by LostSol_FoundTL
Put that back on!! it is necessary for engine cooling.

oh crud i'll do that tmw

go back over your swaybar endlinks, its really easy to have one not tightened completely and can cause a clunking knock
is this for the rear? I drove it for a few miles and it knocked really hard.. and I went back to retighten the bolts and they felt like they were as tight as they'll go =\ I mean its not that bad now...

if I can find someone w/ experience w/ coils to drive my car and see if thats normal that'll be cool.. but I think I can live with it for now

haha thanks for the advice!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I HAVE THE KNOCKING TOO! It's a loud thud over tall bumps. Turns out that when I took the rear driver's side wheel off to test fit my 19's, with the suspension not loaded, my spring was wiggling in the back (I was only getting the knock from the rear-driver's side). So I called Function and asked them, and they told me that even when the suspension is NOT loaded, the spring shouldn't wiggle at all. They said sometimes from the factory or during shipping the locking nuts will come loose. Preston told me to move the bottom spring perch up about an eight of an inch. So I did... I loosened the locking nuts (man that was a bit*h! As I am sure you guys found out that the wrenches they gave us suck), moved the bottom spring perch up about an eight of an inch and re-locked. The thud isn't as bad, but still there. I did have a little play when I moved the perch up, but I didn't want to keep going because I thought it would alter the characteristics of the pre-load. BUT, it looks like I will have to move the bottom perch up some more. Maybe another eight of an inch to get it real snug. Anyways, take your wheel off and wiggle the spring. If you feel it move at all, then that might be your problem. For my car, all other corners are solid over the bumps. It's just this one side. And I too thought I didnt tighten the tophats enough, but I did. Try this and let me know if it solves your problem. If it does, let me know how far you moved the perch up.

Thanks!!!!

is this for the rear? I drove it for a few miles and it knocked really hard.. and I went back to retighten the bolts and they felt like they were as tight as they'll go =\ I mean its not that bad now...

if I can find someone w/ experience w/ coils to drive my car and see if thats normal that'll be cool.. but I think I can live with it for now

haha thanks for the advice!
Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Former Sponsor

To clarify, I was not trying to say the noise was coming because aftermarket stuff does that, I was trying say that aftermarket stuff is more likely to have variations in noises and such that stock stuff won't. Also, more expensive parts will tend to be quieter as well. I did assume a bit that a $600-$900 F2 option would be more popular than a $1300 Tein option which would be even better.

I get some little noises from mine as well, but I never considered it an "issue." Maybe that was a mistake. I have been messing with this stuff for so long it becomes easy to forgive stuff like this over time, especially when you get it at a great price.

All in all, I am pretty happy with how these turned out. I am not sure it would really be possible to come up with one kit that does well for 90% of people, but I think 90% of people would be pretty happy with these!
Old 10-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Drifting

sac I did raise the tension on the spring 1/8" higher.. but the knocking continued so i raised it another 1/8" and there was still knocking but the ride was getting too stiff i tihnk so I dropped it back down an 1/8. Its helpful if u have a friend that can help u hold the wrench they gave us, and use a hammer and screwdriver to hit loose the plates to adjust them

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
To clarify, I was not trying to say the noise was coming because aftermarket stuff does that, I was trying say that aftermarket stuff is more likely to have variations in noises and such that stock stuff won't. Also, more expensive parts will tend to be quieter as well. I did assume a bit that a $600-$900 F2 option would be more popular than a $1300 Tein option which would be even better.

All in all, I am pretty happy with how these turned out. I am not sure it would really be possible to come up with one kit that does well for 90% of people, but I think 90% of people would be pretty happy with these!
I am happy with these coils it doesnt bother me anymore, it just did when I FIRST installed them because to me.. it was an extreme change from no noise to some knocking. I have driven about 100 miles on these within the past few days and i'm starting to enjoy these more and more everyday haha
Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmmm.... That's interesting....

So let me ask you, when you raised it the 1/8" the second time, did the spring still wiggle ever so slightly?

Well, I don't have the knock on one side and I do on the other, so I am going to compare my sides when I get a time and see if I can pin-point the culprit. I did call Preston again today and he told me that the distance between the bottom of the top hat and the top of the lower rubber mount on the spring should be in the 220mm - 215mm range for the proper pre-load. He said it should be NO MORE than 215mm. I am going to measure when I get time.

At the other end, when I first called Function and talked to Rob (this is when I did not know my spring wiggled), ROB said he has recieved a few complaints with the TL kit for this knocking. He said they are going to investigate it over the next few weeks and told me to call back. He said rest assured everything is working properly, but there could be a slight thing causing this noise.

Who knows.... It's a mystery to me! HAHA! Like I said, I will compare the side that makes no noise to the one that does when I get a chance to raise both sides up and take the wheels off. There is obviously something different between the two. In the meanwhile JWR if it's easy for you, can you measure you distance between the bottom of the top hat to the top of the lower rubber mount for the spring. I am curious if it is indeed 215mm-220mm.

Regardless, they are nice coils. The noise may just be what it is. Interestingly enough, my noise goes away after driving for a while. Who knows what it is? All this theorizing is driving me up the wall. My next move is to measure, compare the two sides, tighten a bit more and leave it. If it's still noisy then oh well...

sac I did raise the tension on the spring 1/8" higher.. but the knocking continued so i raised it another 1/8" and there was still knocking but the ride was getting too stiff i tihnk so I dropped it back down an 1/8. Its helpful if u have a friend that can help u hold the wrench they gave us, and use a hammer and screwdriver to hit loose the plates to adjust them

I am happy with these coils it doesnt bother me anymore, it just did when I FIRST installed them because to me.. it was an extreme change from no noise to some knocking. I have driven about 100 miles on these within the past few days and i'm starting to enjoy these more and more everyday haha
Old 10-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Drifting

^ the spring didnt wiggle at all anymore.. and it was hard to raise the plate.. I had to use the wrench. I had the same prob.. only knocking on passenger rear, but owell. I dont know when i'l have time to measure it..hopefully I can do it on monday.

It just hasnt been bothering me lately tho so I guess I wont try to fix something thats not broken? right? haha
Old 10-12-2010, 03:56 PM
'06 NBP TL 6spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overall impressions - I WAS going for an even higher stance (yes, higher) because I didn't want my dad to find out I lowered the car, but at the highest posssible settings (that i felt comfortable with at 3/4" - instead of 1/2") I lowered 1" in the front and 1/2" in the rear... it sounds like a little but I will post pics sooon. I love the way it handles.. I would never expect a big-ish car like a TL taking turns the way I was. There is a knocking in the rear passanger.. but Marcus assured me it was gna happen with all aftermarket suspension and that it'll be ok (although I would want to get that checked/looked into for other users) These feel great, going as low as you want is not a problem, and I hope to hear other people's reponses once they install!

-Jeff
Hahaha, that's awesome. I really need to get these soon.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by realfresh
Hahaha, that's awesome. I really need to get these soon.
hahah forsure these are legit! i'll upload pics in a couple hrs!
Old 10-13-2010, 12:52 AM
Drifting

ht spec type 1 install pics

OK! FINALLY SOME PICS A WEEK LATER! this is gna be a long process... so if I screw up anywhere or unclear about anything juss lmk

so incase anyone didn't know.. heres a pic of my car at stock height

this is rear driver side - stock at about 14 1/4"

rear passanger - stock at about 14 1/4"

these are the rear, with about 3/4" threaded on

RIGHT after install with only 1/4" drop reading.. im sure it settled havnt measured that tho

NOW to the fronts - at about 14 5/8"

stock front vs coil

after pic w/ coils - sitting at about 13" HUGE DROP!

right after installation ( it was raining this day so my car is filthy)

front vieww

sexy view

i like this shot

and thats it! i know this was long and i probably got too picture-happy.. but owell. haha! enjoy
Old 10-13-2010, 01:10 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
looks awesome
Old 10-13-2010, 01:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by h4qq
looks awesome
Thanks! how do u like yours?
Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 PM
3.5L...enough said

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
1 worried HT customer here...UPS supposedly delivered my type 2s to my house, apparently someone swiped them off my porch!!!! what the hell!!!! I did speak to marcus on the phone a few hours ago and it seems like he's gonna make things right! Good customer service so far...pleasure to deal with.

Last edited by 07TLTypeS420; 10-14-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 03:40 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by 07TLTypeS420
1 worried HT customer here...UPS supposedly delivered my type 2s to my house, apparently someone swiped them off my porch!!!! what the hell!!!!
if that's true then man...i feel bad for you.

UPS is pretty good about their deliveries tho. did you physically talk to someone at UPS, and they said that they dropped off the package?

did you get it insured before delivery?
Old 10-14-2010, 04:36 PM

hey jwrong you car is sitting perfecly imo.....thats the kinda drop i like...i call that kinda drop "the nosebleed"...just looks amazing on a tl with the front slighty lower than the back....so you set the thread 3/4 of an inch on all corners???
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the response Marcus. I'll email you the next time I have a question. Looking forward to whatever tips you're getting together for the install.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:35 PM
3.5L...enough said

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
if that's true then man...i feel bad for you.

UPS is pretty good about their deliveries tho. did you physically talk to someone at UPS, and they said that they dropped off the package?

did you get it insured before delivery?
Yes I did speak with someone from UPS. Apparently they did drop off the package, but they left it on my porch. Or they left it on the wrong porch, I dunno. No one signed for it though. They shoulda put a sticker on my door so I could of went the 3 miles to UPS to pick it up! Sucks really bad though!

When I spoke to marcus at HT he says that it was insured. So have to wait and see what happens...
Old 10-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 07tl-s6spd
hey jwrong you car is sitting perfecly imo.....thats the kinda drop i like...i call that kinda drop "the nosebleed"...just looks amazing on a tl with the front slighty lower than the back....so you set the thread 3/4 of an inch on all corners???
thanks man! yessirr 3/4" on all corners
Old 10-14-2010, 11:21 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks! how do u like yours?
I'm digging it, 2" drop at all corners make sure you get that alignment done!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by h4qq
I'm digging it, 2" drop at all corners make sure you get that alignment done!
haha i know.. sucks that i JUST had one done cause i got new tires like 2 months ago
Old 10-15-2010, 08:02 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Yes I did speak with someone from UPS. Apparently they did drop off the package, but they left it on my porch. Or they left it on the wrong porch, I dunno. No one signed for it though. They shoulda put a sticker on my door so I could of went the 3 miles to UPS to pick it up! Sucks really bad though!

When I spoke to marcus at HT he says that it was insured. So have to wait and see what happens...
if you're insured, you'll be just fine. shitty you have to wait even longer now, but in the end it'll work out.

haha i know.. sucks that i JUST had one done cause i got new tires like 2 months ago
firestone lifetime alignment, $149 n a $15 coupon off makes it $135. also got a $25 off coupon in supersaver book so its really $110 for a lifetime alignment.

not sure if you have those in your area, but that is what i'm going with. call around to diff locations and see if they will do alignments on lowered cars. some will, some wont, worth a try tho. hth.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM
3.5L...enough said

if you're insured, you'll be just fine. shitty you have to wait even longer now, but in the end it'll work out.

firestone lifetime alignment, $149 n a $15 coupon off makes it $135. also got a $25 off coupon in supersaver book so its really $110 for a lifetime alignment.

not sure if you have those in your area, but that is what i'm going with. call around to diff locations and see if they will do alignments on lowered cars. some will, some wont, worth a try tho. hth.
Yea it does suck. Pretty bad!! But it is what it is...according to the president of the company it was insured so there shouldn't Be any problems.

Damn that's a good deal...150 for lifetime alignments! Doesn't get any better then that. I got a buddy at a STS by my house, I pay $50 per. But there's a firestone a few miles away I'm about to check and see if they mess with lowered cars. Thanks for the tip bro I had no clue any place offered lifetime alignments!
Old 10-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Drifting

coool thanks man ill look into it
Old 10-16-2010, 10:05 AM

thanks man! yessirr 3/4" on all corners

ill have to remember that for when i order mine
Old 10-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Former Sponsor

Yea it does suck. Pretty bad!! But it is what it is...according to the president of the company it was insured so there shouldn't Be any problems.

Damn that's a good deal...150 for lifetime alignments! Doesn't get any better then that. I got a buddy at a STS by my house, I pay $50 per. But there's a firestone a few miles away I'm about to check and see if they mess with lowered cars. Thanks for the tip bro I had no clue any place offered lifetime alignments!
Well, insurance will cover you under most circumstances. We filed a claim (actually F2 had to since they technically were the shippers) and we'll find out what is going on soon.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:20 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hey heel-toe... sorry i cant pm im still a newb on here...im looking to lower my car, what is the difference between your type 1 vs a ground control coilover w/ eibach srings and koni yellows??... i mean if you add the eibachs to your set its almost the same price while with the GC you can adjust the koni's... or im thinking of going with h&r race springs and koni's later on..... thanks in advance
Old 10-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't want PMs anyway man, take me too long to answer. Email is really best.

The main difference is obviously the cost. The Konis/GC are going to cost close to $1000 if not a bit more. But beyond that you'll get a lot more height flexibility with the HT-Spec kit. Also they come with upper mounts which the others do not.

The konis are a great choice if you are looking for more performance, but the HT-Specs will give a better ability o dial in your stance.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Aired Out TLS

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts
I placed my order Friday.
Hurry up Mr Heeltoe lol.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:08 PM
riding low and steady

Received 80 Likes on 76 Posts
you guys wanna post what type and springs you got, that would help everyone out also for that deciding factor on which one to get. Im gonna get the type 2's with eibachs shortly here and just wanted to know if anyone has gotten the eibachs?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:53 AM
Drifting

nope. got the type 1 w/ the regular springs. I would go with the type 2 (adjustable dampening) if I could reorder hahah
Old 10-28-2010, 11:17 AM
riding low and steady

how do you like the ride with the standard springs?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:46 PM
3.5L...enough said

3 weeks later...ZZzZZZzz
Old 10-28-2010, 03:08 PM
riding low and steady

bro that sucks you still havent gotten a new set sent yet. best of luck
Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 PM

^^^yea that does suck.....whats the status on that 07tltypes420???
Old 10-30-2010, 01:47 AM
riding low and steady

got my order in type 2's w/eibachs.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:30 AM
Drifting

^lmk how u like those!

the freeway I take to school is a POS but other than that..everythin is pretty much smooth sailin' and I love em haha

Quick Reply: HT-Spec Tuning - Function&Form Type-2 Damper - TL Specific Application