Has anyone had rim/tire damage from potholes? seeking reimbursement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 12:54 PM
05' WDP A-SPEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had rim/tire damage from potholes? seeking reimbursement?

i got the 18' chrome look a-spec wheels and hit a pothole yesterday that actually threw me into the steering wheel! the wall of the tire blew a bubble and the inside of the rim is bent to hell. im looking to get reimbursed from my city due to lack of maintenance on the roads. i have pics and documentation out the ass to support my claim. has anyone else hit a pothole that caused damage? did you seek reimbursement? i know each citys laws are different but im just curious how others have handled this kind of situation.

i wouldnt cry if i hit a pothole and and had to suck up the cost of a wheel balance and an alignment (around $70) but this is a $700 estimate from acura to replace! why should i have to pay that outta pocket for something that my is citys fault for being neglagent.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
I know that in illinois you can talk to IDOT and seek reimbursement. Good luck, cause I understand they make it a PITA to get the money.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by edsonfire
i got the 18' chrome look a-spec wheels and hit a pothole yesterday that actually threw me into the steering wheel! the wall of the tire blew a bubble and the inside of the rim is bent to hell. im looking to get reimbursed from my city due to lack of maintenance on the roads. i have pics and documentation out the ass to support my claim. has anyone else hit a pothole that caused damage? did you seek reimbursement? i know each citys laws are different but im just curious how others have handled this kind of situation.

i wouldnt cry if i hit a pothole and and had to suck up the cost of a wheel balance and an alignment (around $70) but this is a $700 estimate from acura to replace! why should i have to pay that outta pocket for something that my is citys fault for being neglagent.
At mile 362 on my M5 (the day after delivery), I managed to slice a sidewall on a front tire in a construction area. Believe me, seeing your new car on a flatbed truck the day after delivery is enough to make you cry. (By the way, no spare in that car, and no run-flats, either.)

The dealer price on the tire was $350 + install; Tire Rack was about $75 less, but would take several days. I sucked it up, paid, and got my car back.

Somebody at work suggested I file a claim with the town. I told her it was pointless. She said it would cost me a few minutes and a stamp. What did I have to lose?

I figured out where to mail it, wrote it up, copied the RO, and sent it. I got a letter saying it was a state project, so they'd forwarded it to the appropriate agency, and gave me contact info. I called. The normal limit for claims was $250, so they needed a few more days to get an additional approval. About a week later, I got the reimbursement check.

I was stunned, but the woman at work was right -- I had nothing to lose, and almost $400 to gain!

Go for it -- the worst that happens is they say no.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:12 PM
Intermediate

I bent one of my wheels a while ago in a newly developing neighborhood. There was no sign, they were only half way done paving the road. So there was a 2in rise in the road. Wrote a letter to VDOT (virginia). They replied saying they sent somebody out there to look at the road and that it wasn't a public road. It was a private road that belonged to the developer and since they didn't have a warning sign, VDOT held there building permit until my issue was resolved. I sent an invoice to the builder and received a check two weeks later. $535 new wheel and tire. You can't lose anything if you try.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Phoenix takes the position they can't fix what they don't know about so if the pothole had been reported and they failed to fix it in a "reasonable time" they pay. If it has never been reported no $$$$. They keep a data base on reported road problems for liability reasons. I would file a claim.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Myself and my uncle most definetely feel your pain. We're the only folks in the family that ride on low profile tires - I have an S2k with stock 17's and he has a 3.2TT that comes stock with 18's. So far I've been lucky, but he's had his TT for a year and has already lost two tires to potholes in Philly. My advice: when you see one on the road, slow the F$@k down and try to avoid it at all costs. I stopped giving a shit about people honking behind me when I slow down for a pothole because they aren't going to pay for a $200 tire when I hit a pothole. I take my time and slow down, and weave around the pothole. If I have to go through it, I go as slow as I can. Most of the time, people behind me actually appreciate me slowing down, because it means that they don't damage their cars either, but occassionally you have some impatient individual who's upset because they have to slow down for a few seconds.

If you don't have time to react, hope for the best. I'm pleasantly surprised at Mbrown's story of reimbursement in the case of his M5, and will surely go that route should it happen to me.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Advanced

I think most states have the same rules/laws as tmitch2315 says. However, i experienced a nasty rim bender pothole one night and It threw the alignment completely off on my 2004 Odyssey. The road had lots of construction signs and all. I called the local government office and they stated they were not working in that area. I went back to the site and notice a sign of the company doing the work. First call on Monday 10 AM- car repaired by Wednesday 1:30 PM with no out of pocket expenses at my Honda dealership.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:56 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tmitch2315
Phoenix takes the position they can't fix what they don't know about so if the pothole had been reported and they failed to fix it in a "reasonable time" they pay. If it has never been reported no $$$$. They keep a data base on reported road problems for liability reasons. I would file a claim.
Same here in Indiana.

I've filed tort claims with the City of Indianapolis three separate times and each one was denied. Pictures, recounts, letters, etc... - nothing helped.

Shtuff happens time and time again.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:32 PM
Advanced

any1 know what r the chances tirecare insurance will reimburse me for a sidewall rip on a tire thats not spec size ?
Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 PM
Instructor

VDOT is sending me a check in the mail now for a huge hole in Richmond which got my tire and wheel. had to argue alot for it though.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:57 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Big bump

Originally Posted by ACURAFANANTIC
any1 know what r the chances tirecare insurance will reimburse me for a sidewall rip on a tire thats not spec size ?
What is tire care insurance?
Old 03-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Advanced

tire hazard insurance
Old 03-26-2010, 12:27 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
It should. Those policies are usually pretty liberal in what falls under the coverage.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:08 AM
Fear and Loathing in my

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
$700 to replace one a-spec and tire?!?
Old 03-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
hmm. so i need to put the exact place where the pothole was where it messed up my wheel?

been awhile... but i might give this a try.