Dropping the Front...??

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Dropping the Front...??

I have the A-Spec suspension on my 8 1/2 18" A-Spec rims.

After the suspension install, I cannot get over the lack of drop in the front.
Back looks great but the front did not have the same effect. Would like to drop the front 1" more.

Suspension gurus, What do you think of this:

1. Could I change just the springs on the front (replace the a-spec springs & keep the shocks)?

2. I would now need a front end camber kit right?

3. Would the a-spec shocks work with an aftermarket spring thus keeping the current feel of the a-spec suspension?

4. What springs will drop 1" below the current a-spec front end suspension?

I have changed just springs before and not the shocks on other cars (the last was a Mustang Cobra) and was extremely dissatisfied with the suspension afterwards..

Any ideas? Want to minimize my costs here. I know I could put TEIN's all around but want to see if I can manage with just doing the front and be happy..
Old 01-28-2005, 05:35 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Good question and I would like to know also.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm wondering how Acura gets away with zero camber adjustments yet they'll drop the stuff with A-Spec, but apparently very very little on the fronts.

Any, I repeat, any drop on the suspension throws off camber! You'll need a camber kit.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Need More HP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Acura says different about the camber kit. But that is a different subject.

Originally Posted by Acura_Kid
I'm wondering how Acura gets away with zero camber adjustments yet they'll drop the stuff with A-Spec, but apparently very very little on the fronts.

Any, I repeat, any drop on the suspension throws off camber! You'll need a camber kit.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
gman, what you are proposing negates the advantage of the A-Spec: improvement in handling over the stock TL without significant loss of comfort. The drop on mine is 0.5", front and back, barely enough to notice--a plus for me.

If you want to drop the front further, you will need to use a different, complete--front and rear--spring (and, preferably, shock) set such as the Tein coilovers, or the Comptechs + Koni Yellows. My understanding is that it's better to use a complete, similar set. If someone else more in the know can correct me, please do.
Old 01-29-2005, 01:08 AM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by Acura_Kid

anything less then an inch and a camber kit isnt "required"....
now, would it be good to have? i belive so. but dropping it less then an inch, 1/2 inch in the case of the aspec, the changes in camber will be minimal. anything more an inch and i would strongly recommend a camber kit
Old 01-29-2005, 01:15 AM
professional TL driver

Originally Posted by neuronbob
gman, what you are proposing negates the advantage of the A-Spec: improvement in handling over the stock TL without significant loss of comfort. The drop on mine is 0.5", front and back, barely enough to notice--a plus for me.

If you want to drop the front further, you will need to use a different, complete--front and rear--spring (and, preferably, shock) set such as the Tein coilovers, or the Comptechs + Koni Yellows. My understanding is that it's better to use a complete, similar set. If someone else more in the know can correct me, please do.
i too would not recommend changing the suspension setup.... the aspec kit was designed together as a package, it would be very bad to mix and match parts....

you could keep all four stuts and change springs and it wouldnt be so bad, but changing just the front and your looking for problems.
Old 01-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Team NightHawk VP

if you drop your car with comptechs, YOU DO NEED CAMBER KIT!!! like onager said, youll pretty much need a camber kit with any kind of springs besides the aspec drop, because i believe that the aspec is the only kit out there that drops .5"
Old 02-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Hondaholic

Ahhhhh.....so this topic get discussed over here as well! I have the A-Spec suspension for my TSX; it is a significant improvement over stock. It doesn't drop the car much, but then it's not really designed to drop the car.

If you drop the car another 1" in the front, then you will have given up a good percentage of your suspension travel; close to 50% I'd guess. At that point, any spring you are using will have to be pretty stiff to keep from bottoming out. So there goes your factory ride. This is true for all cars-you can't be slammed and have a plush ride.

Koni Sport struts set to full soft and Comptech springs are the next step- a little lower, a little stiffer.

Don't change just the springs on the A-Spec strut-not only will you get a bouncy ride, but the strut will wear much faster.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
dropping the front more than the back may affect weight distribution...

Also.. having say Comptechs in the front and Apec in the back, you're putting 2 diff suspension setups, i.e. different spring rates and that really messes the feel and handling of the car. You're betting off purchasing Teins, and dropping the front lower than the back. that would work.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:04 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gman44116
I have the A-Spec suspension on my 8 1/2 18" A-Spec rims.

After the suspension install, I cannot get over the lack of drop in the front.
Back looks great but the front did not have the same effect. Would like to drop the front 1" more.

Suspension gurus, What do you think of this:

1. Could I change just the springs on the front (replace the a-spec springs & keep the shocks)?

2. I would now need a front end camber kit right?

3. Would the a-spec shocks work with an aftermarket spring thus keeping the current feel of the a-spec suspension?

4. What springs will drop 1" below the current a-spec front end suspension?

I have changed just springs before and not the shocks on other cars (the last was a Mustang Cobra) and was extremely dissatisfied with the suspension afterwards..

Any ideas? Want to minimize my costs here. I know I could put TEIN's all around but want to see if I can manage with just doing the front and be happy..

That is the reason why I am going with H&R racing springs that will lower our TL 2inches front and 1.7 rear. Planning on ordering them soon.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:29 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I too have the A-Spec suspension and wouldn't mind having the front a bit lower or at least to have the gap in the front match the rear.

Since I'm happy with the ride quality and the handling I too was thinking about only changing the front spring to something aftermarket (ie. comptechs). However with further consideration and everyones comments on the issue, I may have to think twice about it first.

I just have to ask, are the stuts on the A-Spec suspension different than the non A-Spec, and if so, how? I know a lot of TLers are putting lowering springs using their non A-Spec struts so why not put aftermarket springs on the car using the A-Spec struts?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:35 PM
Racer

Also maybe someone can claify for me, is the A-Spec susension different for the 6MT vs. 5AT, if so how?
Old 02-25-2005, 02:05 PM
VTEC HoooA

Originally Posted by chusteveb
Also maybe someone can claify for me, is the A-Spec susension different for the 6MT vs. 5AT, if so how?
No the suspension parts within the A-Spec kit are the same. The only difference between the 5AT and 6MT is the inclusion of high perf brake pads for the 5AT.

The stock suspension is different between the models though, more specifically the size of the front upper strut, and rear anti sway bar are both larger on the 6MT.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Nodoze2004
No the suspension parts within the A-Spec kit are the same. The only difference between the 5AT and 6MT is the inclusion of high perf brake pads for the 5AT.

The stock suspension is different between the models though, more specifically the size of the front upper strut, and rear anti sway bar are both larger on the 6MT.
Thanks for that info. I'm still left trying to figure out how to make the front gap a bit less to match the rear. Do I need to change out the whole suspension or even just the springs? Has anyone ever used the A-Spec shocks with aftermarket springs?