Does the TL have a Tire sensor that detects low pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Love my TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the TL have a Tire sensor that detects low pressure?

My right rear passenger tire had a nail in it and I drove 120miles on a tire that was very low. This ruined the tire and scratched my A-spec wheel. I can't believe I didn't feel the tire problem while driving.
With all of the gadgets in the TL, I expected the car to let me know the tire pressure was extremely low. A lot of cars have this feature now days. If the TL has this feature my car needs service.
thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TL does not have a tire pressure monitoring system, though I believe it will be required of all new cars at some near future date.

Regards,
Old 07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As alot of people would say, Read The Fine Manual (RTFM).

No, the TL is not equipped with low pressure tire monitors but those can be purchased in the aftermarket for around $200USD, see the following site;

http://www.smartire.com/

Sorry to hear about the wheel damage but low profile tires are notorious for wheel damage when you have low pressure or a flat and since the ride is usually harsh with these type of tire, a low pressure condition will not be notice until it is too late.

Best Regards

frenchnew
Old 07-26-2005, 10:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The G does not have bluetooth, but then it does have a tire pressure monitor... For 06 the G will have both.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:16 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
The G does not have bluetooth, but then it does have a tire pressure monitor... For 06 the G will have both.

I think I read that TPMS will be required for all cars in 06. About time the G got bluetooth, they are only a few years behind.

The TL should have come with TPMS from day one though. But I hear the the system can be troublesome.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:18 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by frenchnew

frenchnew
My how polite, when did the manual become fine? I always heard it a little different.
The following users liked this post:
mp3car (05-11-2024)
Old 07-26-2005, 03:14 PM
Love my TL

Thank you to everyone who replied. I guess the good news is my car doesn't need service but the bad news is I have to live with a scratched wheel (I hope its not bent) and I have to special order a $200 tire to replace a tire that only had 2500 miles on it.
It really pisses me off that laws have to change before Acura/Honda chooses to add simple safety features like this.

Aside from the safety hazard, this is a must have feature if you have nice wheels and low profile tires on your car. Way to go Acura!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rs808
Thank you to everyone who replied. I guess the good news is my car doesn't need service but the bad news is I have to live with a scratched wheel (I hope its not bent) and I have to special order a $200 tire to replace a tire that only had 2500 miles on it.
It really pisses me off that laws have to change before Acura/Honda chooses to add simple safety features like this.

Aside from the safety hazard, this is a must have feature if you have nice wheels and low profile tires on your car. Way to go Acura!
Cool Off rs808.

While imposing tire pressure monitors might be a good thing in your opinion, please realize that the Manufacturers will choose the least expensive options most of the time.

What it could mean for us down the road is we end up with the same piece of crap that comes standard on some GM cars (Buick) that have proven more troubles then their worth. Those system give out false warnings all the time at which point the driver simply ignores the message on the dash.

I personally would invest in a good tire pressure monitoring system instead of having a crappy one supplied with the car.

It's only a $200 option with the Smartire (really not much when I look at your signature).

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 07-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Advanced

My right rear passenger tire had a nail in it and I drove 120miles on a tire that was very low. This ruined the tire and scratched my A-spec wheel. I can't believe I didn't feel the tire problem while driving.
With all of the gadgets in the TL, I expected the car to let me know the tire pressure was extremely low. A lot of cars have this feature now days. If the TL has this feature my car needs service.
thanks
I'm curious. How do you know that you drove 120 miles on a low tire? Couldn't it have been 5 miles or 200?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:32 PM
A-Spec'r

From someone who had a 350z with a TPMS that was highly reguarded in many magazines, let me tell you that it's a disaster. I had nothing but problems with it. It rarley worked correctly. I am happy my TL does not have it. But that may have been due to a poor experience in the past...
Old 07-26-2005, 07:45 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by frenchnew

No, the TL is not equipped with low pressure tire monitors but those can be purchased in the aftermarket for around $200USD, see the following site;

http://www.smartire.com/

Sorry to hear about the wheel damage but low profile tires are notorious for wheel damage when you have low pressure or a flat and since the ride is usually harsh with these type of tire, a low pressure condition will not be notice until it is too late.

Best Regards

frenchnew
What he said. I feel your pain. I bent a rim on my BMW driving on a low pressured tire. Cost a lot of money for new rim and tire. I decided to invest in the TPMS that frenchnew refers to above. It works great. Monitors pressure and temperature. Also keeps an eye on pressure variance. Let's you set warning levels for pressure and temp and sounds an alarm to notify you.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Love my TL

Originally Posted by TBnDFW
I'm curious. How do you know that you drove 120 miles on a low tire? Couldn't it have been 5 miles or 200?
Before I left Cape Coral I stopped at a construction site to see a house my father's company is building. I'm almost positive this is where I got the roofing nail stuck in my tire.

I'm praying the new tire mounts and seals correctly.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Cape Coral? Do you live in Cape Coral??
Old 07-27-2005, 11:37 PM
Instructor

Wow...

Why don't you start complaining about the lack of Pre-collision Safety system?

Why don't you start complaining about the lack of Active Body Control? Active braking? Knee air bags? Active Head Restraint?

There are MANY safety features that are not available on the TL. If you want more safety features, then go buy a 100k-dollar Mercedes. I suppose the government should mandate all these safety systems, and drive up the cost of cars in general, huh? I even find it ridiculous that the TPMS will be mandatory in the near future. How dumb people could possibly be, to not notice a flat tire?

Honestly, if you can't notice a flat tire, then you are not paying attention. Last time I picked up a nail, I found it before my tire even lost any pressure at all. Unlike some people (stupid people who need TPMS) I actually listen to my car for unusual noises and make sure everything is in proper working order on a regular basis. People don't realize that their lives depend on the working condition of their cars every time they hop in. Yet they don't take care of their cars, and they are so quick to blame the lack of mandatory safety features.
Old 08-22-2005, 03:54 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno about you guys, but I can feel if any of my tires are off pressure by more than 5psi. It's a little more difficult with the rear tires but I still notice it after a few miles.
Old 08-24-2005, 11:29 AM
Racer

Not to sound too critical but I find it strange that someone who thinks a TPMS is a "must have" and and a "simple saftey device" did not bother to find out whether the car had it and investigate adding it prior to having a flat. Looking at the list of mods you've done it seems you've spent a fair amount of money on what many would call frivolous items (X-Box, DVD player, screens) but not a safety related item you feel is so critical.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:16 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
Not to sound too critical but I find it strange that someone who thinks a TPMS is a "must have" and and a "simple saftey device" did not bother to find out whether the car had it and investigate adding it prior to having a flat. Looking at the list of mods you've done it seems you've spent a fair amount of money on what many would call frivolous items (X-Box, DVD player, screens) but not a safety related item you feel is so critical.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:29 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by BloodFart
Wow...

Why don't you start complaining about the lack of Pre-collision Safety system?

Why don't you start complaining about the lack of Active Body Control? Active braking? Knee air bags? Active Head Restraint?

There are MANY safety features that are not available on the TL. If you want more safety features, then go buy a 100k-dollar Mercedes. I suppose the government should mandate all these safety systems, and drive up the cost of cars in general, huh? I even find it ridiculous that the TPMS will be mandatory in the near future. How dumb people could possibly be, to not notice a flat tire?

Honestly, if you can't notice a flat tire, then you are not paying attention. Last time I picked up a nail, I found it before my tire even lost any pressure at all. Unlike some people (stupid people who need TPMS) I actually listen to my car for unusual noises and make sure everything is in proper working order on a regular basis. People don't realize that their lives depend on the working condition of their cars every time they hop in. Yet they don't take care of their cars, and they are so quick to blame the lack of mandatory safety features.
Come on, you know there is no such thing as personal responsibility anymore...just a society of people who depend on someone else to do everything for them. Pay my own bills? Use discipline on children? Not use the hairdryer in the shower? Check to make sure everything on my car is ok? Riiiiiiiiiight...