Bridgestone EL-42 Dealer Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridgestone EL-42 Dealer Replacement

As everyone knows there have been many reports of faults in EL-42s. My TL has 12000 miles on it and the tires are already shot. For everyone who got there tires replaced by the dealer for free, how many miles did you have on it. My mom called today to complain and ended out cursing out the service department manager. THe manager said Acura makes cars not tires and that the tires aren't waranted through Bridgestone. So any chance of getting them replaced from a dealer?? If not any recomendations on new tires that will last long!!
Thanks
Old 11-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Instructor

No offense, by why don't you call ? Having your mom do it sounds pretty silly.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Michael A
Maybe I should have my mom call and complain to.
I know my mom will win the battle cause she will not give up (she once argued over $1 for an hour at Wal-Mart). But yea the front tires are dead and rear are close but auto shop told her the back tires have bumps in them and they need to be replaced.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Burning Brakes

No offense, by why don't you call ? Having your mom do it sounds pretty silly.
well it isn't really my car it is hers, but she lets me drive it some. and she called when I was at school w/o my knowledge
Old 11-09-2004, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
I know my mom will win the battle cause she will not give up (she once argued over $1 for an hour at Wal-Mart). But yea the front tires are dead and rear are close but auto shop told her the back tires have bumps in them and they need to be replaced.
Doesnt she have anything else to do. Isnt her time worth more than $1hr ?
At 12k miles if your front tires are "dead" your probably driving the car pretty hard. My TL has almost 8k miles and the tread on the EL42's isnt even worn 10%. I would fully expect to get at least 30k miles possible closer to 40k.

I had 18k on my Evolution before the tires needed to be replaced. When most kids where replacing the tires under 10k miles simply because they where driving the car very hard. I had 22k miles on my S2000 before replacing the rear tires when most kids barely got over 10k miles. Again because the car was driving hard. When I was a kids most of the cars I had, had to have the tires replacement at under 15k because I beat the pants off of them.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Doesnt she have anything else to do. Isnt her time worth more than $1hr ?
At 12k miles if your front tires are "dead" your probably driving the car pretty hard. My TL has almost 8k miles and the tread on the EL42's isnt even worn 10%. I would fully expect to get at least 30k miles possible closer to 40k.

I had 18k on my Evolution before the tires needed to be replaced. When most kids where replacing the tires under 10k miles simply because they where driving the car very hard. I had 22k miles on my S2000 before replacing the rear tires when most kids barely got over 10k miles. Again because the car was driving hard. When I was a kids most of the cars I had, had to have the tires replacement at under 15k because I beat the pants off of them.
The car hasn't been drivin very hard. I drive it somewhat hard but mom mom drives it easy and she put on almost all of the miles. 12k on a set of non-extreme performance tires on a family sedan is just crazy though. My dads s2k gets similar ware but he is wearin potenza so2's. I am gonna get my mom 2 call bridgestone and ACS and bridgestone 2mmarow
Old 11-09-2004, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tennisjon2002
The car hasn't been drivin very hard. I drive it somewhat hard but mom mom drives it easy and she put on almost all of the miles. 12k on a set of non-extreme performance tires on a family sedan is just crazy though. My dads s2k gets similar ware but he is wearin potenza so2's. I am gonna get my mom 2 call bridgestone and ACS and bridgestone 2mmarow
I had an S2k (S2000) I got 22k miles out of the REAR tires and over 30k on the front tires. Alot of people in the S2K community get alot less tire life (<12k) which is simply due to them driving the car harder. 12k miles on the EL42 is crazy but tires wear out from driving hard. I have heard alot of bad comments on this board about the EL42 but I personally don't think their that bad. Dry traction is definitely not a stong suit but I am also comparing it to my former Mitsu Evolution and Honda S2000 where both basically had street legal racing tires. People have complained about cold weather flat spotting and vibration which is why their getting tires replaced. You have worn out front tires, which is going to be an up hill battle that frankly I would be shocked if Acura or Bridgestone did anything for you no matter how loudly you mother screams at them.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Layoff the guy's mom. It just seems to me that she's one of those value conscious consumers. I'm sort of the same way. I'm reading a bit more before going to meet with the factory rep in about an hour. Seriously, you give people an inch they'll take a mile. Everyone should be fighting for that every inch when it comes to service or the quality of a product.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Well i am happy. Went to the dealer today to get the new door handle on that had fallen off. I told them about a rattle in the back when the sub was on and about a creaking noise from the sunroof. Also mentioned tires were worn out after 12000 miles. I looked at the TLs out side the dealer when I first came in and saw one had michilans and the other had potenzas. The lady tried to play it all off and said oh that is bad but we have not had any complaints of this before and the normal BS and said it could be driving style etc. Then I pulled out the knowledge I learned at this site and tore the bitch up I said so u are saying there have been no problems with these tires. and she was like yea and then i said i knew a lot of people who have ahd problems with these tires and then I said why do all the TL's out front have different tires. and she went on oh maybe they were changed with the VIN and shit and I was like well why would they change them if there wasn't a problem? then I asked her how the lawsuits were doing against acura for these tires and she said she didn't know of any. well then she said she would have the technition look at them. I was expecting them to be like oh 2 bad, but my mom called back and they had just finished putting the new tires on and were getting ready to wash it!!! all for free!!! It turns out the new handle they had was scratched so i didn't really get that fixed but they orderd a new visor for the sunroof and new parts for the rattle in the back. I was very impressed by the service. It was done at Performance Acura of Chapel Hill, NC. They put more turenzas on but they were free so I don't care. How do I check if they are the new reformulated ones? Just wanted to thank everyone on this site casue with out it would have been stuck buying new tires.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How do I get my EL42s replaced w/Micheline Tires?

I called the dealership yesterday and spoke with my salesperson who informed me that Acura was replacing the EL42s with Michelin tires on TL w/Navi but not on TL without. I asked her why were navi owners special and she had no idea and I told her that this was totally unfair and I would continue to complain because I know this has been an issue. I then asked her were navi owners better and why would Acura continue to put EL42s on the TL when they know they have a problem? She had no idea and she agreed with me. What are the proper steps to getting my tires replaced with the knowledge that I obtained from my saleswoman?
Old 11-18-2004, 10:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tiger2471
I called the dealership yesterday and spoke with my salesperson who informed me that Acura was replacing the EL42s with Michelin tires on TL w/Navi but not on TL without. I asked her why were navi owners special and she had no idea and I told her that this was totally unfair and I would continue to complain because I know this has been an issue. I then asked her were navi owners better and why would Acura continue to put EL42s on the TL when they know they have a problem? She had no idea and she agreed with me. What are the proper steps to getting my tires replaced with the knowledge that I obtained from my saleswoman?
Be aggressive with the dealer and don't take their crap