06 TPMS problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
06 TPMS problems?

Anyoe else with a 06 encounter problems with the new TPMS? Mine just starting to act up and it reads one of the tires at 58PSI and after driving around for a bit. It flags it as malfunctioning, After some more driving. It come back to normal and reads all tires fine. Here's bacially what happens.

1: start car and all system checks okay.
2: look in the tire pressure system and 1 wheel reads 58 while others at 33PSI.
3: no malfunctions until I drive it around for a little while.
4: cancel the malfunction status screen and the dash TPMS remains lit.
5: some more driving and everything goes back to normal with a quick check and all wheels now at 33PSI.

Once I shut the car and start it again, The process starts all over.

Anyone have some insite on how this system works so I can get a better understanding of it? I know it's sensor base but where is it and how does it read the tires PSI's.

Thanks
Old 11-28-2005, 05:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the TPMS in the RL and the only time it has gone up to 58 or anything that high was when I swapped out the tires. It was resetting the system because the TPM sensor lost contact with the antenna in the car. I would suggest going to your dealer to have it checked out and possibly replaced.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:21 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
When you make the tire change, watch carefully the guy that does it. It's very easy to f*ck up the system.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:06 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
The sensor is built into the valve stem and sends the information to the receiver. Think of it as a mini tire pressure meter built in.

I would suggest taking it to the dealership to have the crazy sensor checked. I got nothing on what could be causing the problem.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:32 PM
Still a Noob!

Ah cool, So it's the stem itself thats the antenna so to speak that relays the readings to the receiver in the car. Good to know. I'll get it to the dealer as soon as I can. Thanks all!
Old 12-24-2005, 06:01 PM
Still a Noob!

Welp just a quicky update. I haven't gotten a chance to go back to dealer for them to look at this problem. Anyways, It's been quite warm the last 2 days or so and now the problem sensor seem to be working perfectly fine. No signs of the pass experience as far as the problem is concern. So to me it seems like the sensors are a little sensative so since we are still in the middle of winter and more than sure the temp is gonna go down south again. I'm going to hold off till it acts up again till I have the dealer take a look at it.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should take it to the dealer to get it checked out since the TPMS light is on which means theres something wrong with it. My only shows 58 psi right when the car is started and changes to the right reading after a couple of seconds.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:14 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by whatjones911
You should take it to the dealer to get it checked out since the TPMS light is on which means theres something wrong with it. My only shows 58 psi right when the car is started and changes to the right reading after a couple of seconds.
My tire readings are a little messed up when I first start the car. But after warming up the car and driving a little bit the tire readings become accurate.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Still a Noob!

Originally Posted by XtraKrispy
My tire readings are a little messed up when I first start the car. But after warming up the car and driving a little bit the tire readings become accurate.
My issue was that on start. my right front would read 58PSI and after driving. My TPMS light comes on and MID says TPMS malfunction.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:29 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by HenryNYC
Anyoe else with a 06 encounter problems with the new TPMS? Mine just starting to act up and it reads one of the tires at 58PSI and after driving around for a bit. It flags it as malfunctioning, After some more driving. It come back to normal and reads all tires fine. Here's bacially what happens.

5: some more driving and everything goes back to normal with a quick check and all wheels now at 33PSI.

Anyone have some insite on how this system works so I can get a better understanding of it? I know it's sensor base but where is it and how does it read the tires PSI's.

Thanks
Henry, my 2006 is exhibiting the exact same behavior... Did this issue ever come back again?
Old 07-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HenryNYC

Thanks
How long has this been going on?
Old 07-03-2007, 06:31 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by nhousepro
How long has this been going on?

Well now it's fine again. I restarted the car 3 times yesterday and the error came back every time. Let it sit overnight, and it's working like a charm again. I pulled the fuse to verify it wasn't blown, perhaps that reset it...

I guess the system is like Microsoft... It just needs a hard reboot every once in a while
Old 07-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
yea i used to get the 58psi all the time after i swapped rims, or sometimes in the mornings. it usually goes back to normal after some driving. i never got an 'error' though
Old 07-05-2007, 05:36 PM
All the world's a stage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know what the problem is but that's what a warranty is for.

Bring your car into Acura and have them figure it out instead of causing more undo stress.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:00 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by -sNaFu*
I don't know what the problem is but that's what a warranty is for.

Bring your car into Acura and have them figure it out instead of causing more undo stress.
Umm... Yeah.

1) I prefer to NOT be without the car that I make a monthly payment on.

2) I prefer to NOT have the dealer monkeys breaking 2 things trying to fix one.

I would prefer constructive advice and experiences rather than running off to my incompetent dealer...
Old 07-05-2007, 10:53 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not every one is having such bad experience from their local dealers.

The Acura TPMS systems also uses the diagnostic tools that only the dealer has access to.

If there is a malfunction of the TPMS sensor, it should be covered under the basic warranty.

Also, please note that some tire dealers are refusing to work on any cars equipped with TPMS for the fear of breaking a sensor and having to pay for an expensive repair.

It is better to have someone properly trained to unmount and install tire on TPMS equipped wheels then some grease monkey who has no friggin idea.

Originally Posted by Kennedy
Umm... Yeah.

1) I prefer to NOT be without the car that I make a monthly payment on.

2) I prefer to NOT have the dealer monkeys breaking 2 things trying to fix one.

I would prefer constructive advice and experiences rather than running off to my incompetent dealer...
Old 07-06-2007, 12:25 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
when you rotate tires, does the position of the malfunction also change? if so, the problem is with the transmitter in the wheel, if it doesnt, its the receiver.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:48 AM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Originally Posted by leedogg
when you rotate tires, does the position of the malfunction also change? if so, the problem is with the transmitter in the wheel, if it doesnt, its the receiver.
Frenchnew, Sure... I'm aware the dealers possess the proper scanning hardware to diagnose hardware problems. The purpose of my post was to solicit input on a home fix... which is the purpose of this forum. If the response was "run to the dealer" for every rattle and quirk, then why bother posting here. There would be no need for a problems/fixes forum in that case...
My home fix seems to be effective... Pull the fuse, reset the system, and the problem is solved. If the problem becomes recurrent, or comes back and won't go away

Lee, the sensors are not position specific. Rotating the tires has no affect. The problem I had was not with the sensors(transmitters). The entire "system" failed for one afternoon.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Burning Brakes

i got 58 after switching wheels/tires. it happened a few times , temporarily and never again.