Why does the fuse kept blowing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 11:52 AM
TEAM_SONIC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does the fuse kept blowing??

I have an automatic 04 TL. My left low beam headlight and the fogs light were not working, so I checked the fuse. I found that the fuse were blown. So I purchased new fuse (20A fuse made from Buss Fuses) and installed it (the ATM type not sure what that is). I followed the Amp ratings in the car manual and did the following. I took my key out and replaced the fuse. After installing it, I turned on the car and hit the switch, nothing was working. So I replaced it again and still no results. Can someone please tell me the correct way to replace the fuse and what type of fuse I should purchase?
Thank you.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:15 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by Sondinh
I have an automatic 04 TL. My left low beam headlight and the fogs light were not working, so I checked the fuse. I found that the fuse were blown. So I purchased new fuse (20A fuse made from Buss Fuses) and installed it (the ATM type not sure what that is). I followed the Amp ratings in the car manual and did the following. I took my key out and replaced the fuse. After installing it, I turned on the car and hit the switch, nothing was working. So I replaced it again and still no results. Can someone please tell me the correct way to replace the fuse and what type of fuse I should purchase?
Thank you.
So you replaced the fuse twice and it blew both times?

From your other thread, you said you have LEDs hooked into the fog light circuit. I'd start there. Disconnect the LEDs and then see if the fuse still blows.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-11-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:33 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
So you replaced the fuse twice and it blew both times?

From your other thread, you said you have LEDs hooked into the fog light circuit. I'd start there. Disconnect the LEDs and then see if the fuse still blows.
Yea it blew twice. But I connect the LEDs to the fog light wires, not the low beam headlight. Nothing is connected to the low beam, it remained stock.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Race Director

Yea it blew twice. But I connect the LEDs to the fog light wires, not the low beam headlight. Nothing is connected to the low beam, it remained stock.
OK, maybe I'm confused. Your fog lights don't work and fuse #10 (20amp) that controls the fogs keeps blowing, correct?

Not sure why your left low beam isn't working, did you check fuse #1 (15A)? Could be coincidence they both quit...

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-11-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 04:59 PM
TEAM_SONIC

OK, maybe I'm confused. Your fog lights don't work and fuse #10 (20amp) that controls the fogs keeps blowing, correct?

Not sure why your left low beam isn't working, did you check fuse #1 (15A)? Could be coincidence they both quit...
I checked both fuses and they were both blown. But when I replaced them with new fuses, they blew right away when I activate it.
I got the fuse labeled with the correct rating of Ampere. There were two choices, one labeled ATC and one labeled ATM. I chose the ATM one. Not sure what the difference was.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:29 PM
Race Director

I'm pretty sure our fuses are ATM. At any rate, if the fuses were the same physical size as the fuses you replaced, they are the correct type of fuse.

And I don't think an ATM fuse will fit in an ATC socket and vice/versa.

Totally disconnect the LEDs, replace the fuse/s and see what happens...
Old 12-11-2010, 05:43 PM
TEAM_SONIC

I'm pretty sure our fuses are ATM. At any rate, if the fuses were the same physical size as the fuses you replaced, they are the correct type of fuse.

And I don't think an ATM fuse will fit in an ATC socket and vice/versa.

Totally disconnect the LEDs, replace the fuse/s and see what happens...
I will do that in about two weeks. Since I will be busy with final. I will keep you updated. Thank you for the help.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Race Director

I will do that in about two weeks. Since I will be busy with final. I will keep you updated. Thank you for the help.
OK, good luck on the finals
Old 12-11-2010, 07:33 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Thank you.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:29 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Let just say I disconnect the LEDs wire and replace the fuse, and the fuse blown again, what might be the problem? Could it be the bulb or the ballast? correct?
Old 12-12-2010, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 170 Likes on 150 Posts
When a fuse breaks or "blows", then too much current is flowing through that circuit.

And I almost missed this.. Fog lights don't come factory installed on an 04 TL. So, something sounds fishy already.

If you try to run fog lights on the headlight circuit, it may be way too much current for that circuit when both are ON at the same time.

What I would do is disconnect the fog lights and try your headlights by themself. If it works after you disconnect the foglights, then try moving your fog lights to a power supply like the battery and switch them on and off using a relay. A relay can be operated by another relay or another switch.(that's a hint)

The only other reason why you would blow a factory specified fuse, is if there is a short from positive to ground. Such as in the case of a tightly clamped positive wire that has broken through the insulation and is touching a ground wire or the chassis. So, if you have a bolt holding the wires secure, try loosening the bolt. If that doesnt work, disconnect the fog lights altogehter and try the headlights alone... At least get your headlight working by themselves first. Isolate the problem through process of elimination. Then redesign the installation of the fog lights.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-12-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:31 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by Chad05TL
When a fuse breaks or "blows", then too much current is flowing through that circuit.

And I almost missed this.. Fog lights don't come factory installed on an 04 TL. So, something sounds fishy already.

If you try to run fog lights on the headlight circuit, it may be way too much current for that circuit when both are ON at the same time.

What I would do is disconnect the fog lights and try you headlights by themself. If it works after you disconnect the foglights, then try moving your fog lights to a power supply like the battery and switch them on and of using a relay. A relay can be operated by another relay or another switch.

The only other reason why you would blow a factory specified fuse, is if there is a short from positive to ground. Such as in the case of a tightly clamped positive wire that has broken through the insulation and is touching a ground wire or the chassis. So, if you have a bolt holding the wires secure, try loosening the bolt. If that doesnt work, disconnect the fog lights.. At least get your headlight working by themselves first. Isolate the problem through process of elimination.
I have an 04 TL and the fogs used to be in the headlights, but I disconnect that and moved it down to the bottom fogs. So basically I took that wire and spliced it so that I can connect to the bottom fog. Within that wire I have LEDs running as well. But now the LEDs and the bottom fogs does not work and every time I replaced the fuse it keep blowing. Nothing was modded to the headlight wiring. The weird part is that both of my blinkers work, and only the low beam on the passenger side works. The fuses for low beam on driver side and the fogs kept blowing. Hope I clarified the situation, so that you can help me solve the problem. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:49 PM
Drifting

ok ok .. right the fog lights are in the top on the 04's and the 05's.. right. I forgot. I was thinking the bottom.

When you say you "spliced the fog light wire" and moved it to the lower fog lights, it sounds like now you dont have that fog light wire running anything but a few LED's and the lower fog light... One wire for the passenger side and one wire for the drivers side... correct?

And Tell me the fuse position you are changing. Is it Fuse #10? The book says that is a 20amp fuse.

I have the helms schematic.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-12-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:58 PM
TEAM_SONIC

ok ok .. right the fog lights are in the top on the 04's and the 05's.. right. I forgot. I was thinking the bottom.

When you say you "spliced the fog light wire" and moved it to the lower fog lights, it sounds like now you dont have that fog light wire running anything but a few LED's and the lower fog light... One wire for the passenger side and one wire for the drivers side... correct?

And Tell me the fuse position you are changing. Is it Fuse #10? The book says that is a 20amp fuse.

I have the helms schematic.
That is correct. Since the low beam on driver is not working and the fogs were not working, I decided to change both fuse and saw that they were both blown. On each side there is the LEDs wire attached to the aftermarket HIDs fog wire and that wire is connected to the OEM wiring (the wire that used to be OEM fog wiring). Hope that make sense. lol.
For the fuse I changed Fuse #10 (20A) and Fuse #1 (15A)

Last edited by Sondinh; 12-12-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:37 PM
Drifting

take the LEDS's off the circuit. Leave only the fog lights.

My guess is that you have the LED's in parallel with the fog lights. That would be like connecting the + side of the LED's to the + of the fog lights. *and* your - terminal on the LED's is connected to the chassis ground.

If you have it in "series or serial", the + end of the LEDs would be connected to the + wire from the OEM wiring harness, and the - lead on the LEDs would be connected to the + lead on the Fog light.. and then the - foglight wire would be connected to ground.

So if you are in parrallel, and since current takes the path of the least resistance, I am pretty confident the least resistance would be the LEDs.. So with such low resistance compared to the fog lights, most the current is shooting out fast through the LED's.

Plus, if you recalculate the new resistance of the entire circuit from the OEM wire, as it "see's both LED's and Fog light"... The resistance is greatly reduced because when loads are in parrellel, you add the resistance values inversely.

What happens when you put 2 items in parrallel, the total resistance is always a little less the the SMALLEST load. In this case, the smallest load are the LED's.
for example. if the LEDs are 5 ohms. and the Fog lights are 50 ohms.

In series, the resistance is 5+50 = 55ohms. Thats not much difference.. and you may not see any problems.

But in parrallel.. The new resistance is added light this:
1/5 + 1/50 = 1/x
.2 + .02 = .22 then take the reciprocal of that. which is 1/.22
new total = 4.5 ohms.

So just like I thought, you basically reduced the resistance in the circuit by placing the LEDs in parrellel with the foglight.. So current is spiking really high, like a a short. And so it pops the fuse. So, basically you either have to remove the LED's or you may be able to greatly increase the resistance on the LED string so much so, that most the current flows through the fog light instead of the LEDs. And in order to do that, it would take more calculations. Best thing to do is find an alternate place to power the led's. Like your parking lights. probably.

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-12-2010 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:47 PM
TEAM_SONIC

take the LEDS's off the circuit. Leave only the fog lights.

My guess is that you have the LED's in parallel with the fog lights. That would be like connecting the + side of the LED's to the + of the fog lights. *and* your - terminal on the LED's is connected to the chassis ground.

If you have it in "series or serial", the + end of the LEDs would be connected to the + wire from the OEM wiring harness, and the - lead on the LEDs would be connected to the + lead on the Fog light.. and then the - foglight wire would be connected to ground.

So if you are in parrallel, and since current takes the path of the least resistance, I am pretty confident the least resistance would be the LEDs.. So with such low resistance compared to the fog lights, most the current is shooting out fast through the LED's.

Plus, if you recalculate the new resistance of the entire circuit from the OEM wire, as it "see's both LED's and Fog light"... The resistance is greatly reduced because when loads are in parrellel, you add the resistance values inversely.

What happens when you put 2 items in parrallel, the total resistance is always a little less the the SMALLEST load. In this case, the smallest load are the LED's.
for example. if the LEDs are 5 ohms. and the Fog lights are 50 ohms.

In series, the resistance is 5+50 = 55ohms. Thats not much difference.. and you may not see any problems.

But in parrallel.. The new resistance is added light this:
1/5 + 1/50 = 1/x
.2 + .02 = .22 then take the reciprocal of that. which is 1/.22
new total = 4.5 ohms.

So just like I thought, you basically reduced the resistance in the circuit by placing the LEDs in parrellel with the foglight.. So current is spiking really high, like a a short. And so it pops the fuse. So, basically you either have to remove the LED's or you may be able to greatly increase the resistance on the LED string so much so, that most the current flows through the fog light instead of the LEDs. And in order to do that, it would take more calculations. Best thing to do is find an alternate place to power the led's. Like your parking lights. probably.
By the way, these are LEDs strips that was placed inside the headlights. I am just curious to why they work for 6 months, but now the HIDs fogs and the LEDs strips stopped working about a month ago. Now the low beam on driver side stopped working about a week ago. I thought the low beam headlights has its own wire?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Drifting

well, that was going to be one of my questions about how long.. And to be honest.. I nor anyone else can really only guess what's happening. I've seen GM circuits and its some amazing engineering they have used to reduce the number of compoents (for cost effectiveness) and I am sure Acura does similar things. So you never know.. I may be totally wrong.!

maybe a short
maybe a bad wire
maybe the contact points are burned up in a relay? (after 6 months of use)

no telling.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:56 PM
Race Director

... On each side there is the LEDs wire attached to the aftermarket HIDs fog wire and that wire is connected to the OEM wiring (the wire that used to be OEM fog wiring)....
Sounds to me like they're in series....
Old 12-12-2010, 09:58 PM
Drifting

tell him to draw a picture then

he didnt mention where his negative wires are connected .. that matters

Last edited by Chad05TL; 12-12-2010 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:55 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Sorry for any confusion, but I will try to figure this problem in about two weeks. I will update with info. Thanks you for helping me out guys.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:11 AM
Race Director

Sorry for any confusion, but I will try to figure this problem in about two weeks. I will update with info. Thanks you for helping me out guys.
As I said in your other thread, you really need to take it back to your installer and have him look at it. Very difficult to diagnose a non-standard modification from afar. Good luck...
Old 12-16-2010, 01:21 AM
Intermediate

check if the ballast connection got wet i used to have a 2 gen tl and the right headlight didn't work. I replaced the fuse and it blew so i removed te ballast and it was filled with water probably because of high humidity so i got a new pair of hid's and did the conversion and problem solved so check if it got wet an let me know.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:52 PM
TEAM_SONIC

Originally Posted by jr-type-R
check if the ballast connection got wet i used to have a 2 gen tl and the right headlight didn't work. I replaced the fuse and it blew so i removed te ballast and it was filled with water probably because of high humidity so i got a new pair of hid's and did the conversion and problem solved so check if it got wet an let me know.
I will let you know within a week. Thank you for the help.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:58 PM
TEAM_SONIC

So I bought a set of fuse Radioshack. This is what it says on the label:

Fast Acting
20-Amp
32- Volt Fuses

Not sure what the 32-Volt Fuses meant. Any idea?
Old 01-01-2011, 06:49 PM
TEAM_SONIC

I have discovered the problems. The fog lamp were hooked up to HIDs and found that the ballast had water in it. So I decided to run everything to OEM wiring, which solved the problem. As for the the headlamp, a piece of the wire inside the headlight came off which was the reason why the fuse kept blowing. So after solving those problems, and replacing the fuse, the problems were solve. Thank you for those who helped me with tips and hints.