Whistling noise at low rpm's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 11:00 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whistling noise at low rpm's?

Guys i've taking it to 2 local dealers where i stay at and also one dealer in atlanta.I keep on getting this whistling noise right around 2300 rpms.The mechanics tell me its a normal thing. At this point i'm so frustrated that i dont know what to do. Seems like its coming from the intake or something on the driver side of the engine.Someone please help if u have had the same problem.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Team NightHawk VP

maybe its the comptech edition TL..(supercharger included)

the car does whine a little bit....i have the same thing and it seems normal to me..
Old 06-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
A nice Mod is going to come along shortly and move this thread for you, but don't worry, life will go on...

If you're talking about a whining noise between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm (give or take), it could be a warped heat shield. Mine was warped and therefore it kept coming loose...after trying to fix it twice, the dealer just replaced the whole heat shield...haven't heard the noise since. If you do a search for heat shield, I believe there is a thread or two on it...
Old 06-28-2005, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by chill_dog
A nice Mod is going to come along shortly and move this thread for you, but don't worry, life will go on...

If you're talking about a whining noise between 1,500 and 2,000 rpm (give or take), it could be a warped heat shield. Mine was warped and therefore it kept coming loose...after trying to fix it twice, the dealer just replaced the whole heat shield...haven't heard the noise since. If you do a search for heat shield, I believe there is a thread or two on it...
Yeah they tighten all the heat shield screws and it still doing it.So this noise is a normal thing?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

No, it is not nomal! They tightened mine once...the noise came back a couple of weeks later...they tightented it again...the noise came back a few days later...they replaced the entire heat shield...I haven't heard it since.

If you hear nothing up to 2k rpm, then hear a whining sound at 2k, then it's gone once your drop back below 2k or go well past 2k, then your heat shield is warped and needs to be replaced.

Other people have discussed other whining noises, but this seems to be the only one that's tied to rpm's and occurs consistantly at the same rpm in multiple vehicles (some other members had the same issue). If the dealer identified the heat shield as having an issue already, it is very likely it is still the issue. You should not hear a loud whining noise at any time for any reason (unless something is wrong).
Old 06-28-2005, 11:34 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lol...I thought it was going to turn out to be another CAI story...my TL makes this noise at low RPMS noticeable due to the cold air intake, never noticed it before...anyway it may be the air noise being sucked into the intake manifold ...
Old 06-28-2005, 11:39 AM
Advanced

No, it is not nomal! They tightened mine once...the noise came back a couple of weeks later...they tightented it again...the noise came back a few days later...they replaced the entire heat shield...I haven't heard it since.

If you hear nothing up to 2k rpm, then hear a whining sound at 2k, then it's gone once your drop back below 2k or go well past 2k, then your heat shield is warped and needs to be replaced.

Other people have discussed other whining noises, but this seems to be the only one that's tied to rpm's and occurs consistantly at the same rpm in multiple vehicles (some other members had the same issue). If the dealer identified the heat shield as having an issue already, it is very likely it is still the issue. You should not hear a loud whining noise at any time for any reason (unless something is wrong).
I'm takin it in this friday again, it just seems like the dealer thinks i'm a dick for always telling them about the problem and that there the pro's so they know wassup with the car.I told them i'm the one thats driving it and its starting to annoy the hell out of me.They recognize the noise and still say its a normal noise. My buddy has the same yr TL and his dont make that noise.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Just tell them the heat shield is warped and you want it replaced. Remember, it's much easier for them to just tighten it and . If it's warped, no amount of tightening will work.

What they think of you is irrelevant. The fact is your car makes a noise it shouldn't (I can see the rattle crowd itching to chime in...)...there's a reason it makes the noise and there's a way to fix it...do not let them tell you it's normal. Since they replaced my heat shield, the only noise I hear are from the EL42's...
Old 06-28-2005, 03:46 PM
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 33 Posts
Sweet...I have the same problem and was wondering what it is. Now I know...thanks!
Old 06-28-2005, 04:46 PM
Advanced

Just tell them the heat shield is warped and you want it replaced. Remember, it's much easier for them to just tighten it and . If it's warped, no amount of tightening will work.

What they think of you is irrelevant. The fact is your car makes a noise it shouldn't (I can see the rattle crowd itching to chime in...)...there's a reason it makes the noise and there's a way to fix it...do not let them tell you it's normal. Since they replaced my heat shield, the only noise I hear are from the EL42's...
I remember telling that the second time when i brought it in. Which heat shield would u be talking about, cuz the mechanic told me there's alot of them.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:07 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by 05ATL40
I remember telling that the second time when i brought it in. Which heat shield would u be talking about, cuz the mechanic told me there's alot of them.
I honestly have no idea. The tech told me they put the car on the lift...he was underneath while another tech got the car to 2k rpm...guess he tracked it down from that.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:08 PM
8 Foot Asian

Exactly, What heat shield

I have an AEM CAI that I installed this past weekend. My whistling is out of control in the 2200 to 3200 RPM range. It sounds like a bunch of crickets. What can I do to stop this whistling, my intake did not come with a heat shield??????