Whine from Engine Compartment

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whine from Engine Compartment

Hello,

I am getting a whine from the engine compartment when my 04 6MT gets up to operating temperature. Checked the power steering fluid, no bubbles, does smell burnt and is black. When I turn the wheel, the noise does not change pitch, only when I turn off the ignition the pitch gets higher just as the engine is stopping.

The noise sounds the greatest when I put my head next to the passenger front wheel well.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old 01-15-2009, 11:57 AM
3rd Gear

If this happens at certain speeds in lower gears, then it's normal. Ie. if there is a whine between 30-35mph, it's just normal tranny noise. I have had this checked by my dealer, a Acura/Honda Transmission Guy, and this forum. If this happens all the time, then I have no idea. =)
Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 AM
4th Gear

I only notice it at idle, noise is getting worse. If I put car into gear noise does not change.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
From you description about it being from the passenger wheel well..

Does the noise aggravate when you turn your wheel? - possible culprit: P/S

Does your noise aggravate when you accelerate? - possible culprit: Alt. Belt

If P/S is suspected.. is it cold where you are?.. and does it go away once the engine compartment has come to operating temps?

If Alt belt is suspected.. engage your A/C, does it get louder?.. check the alt. pulley, any belt shavings (black soot)? Are the belt ridges sharp or flat? Any noticeable wear?

.. I put my bet on the P/S especially if it whines when you move the wheel. Look for any P/S fluid seeping from the pump.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 AM
3rd Gear

There is a recall on the High Pressure P/S hose from Acura - maybe the power steering. Does it get louder when you turn the wheel? Does the steering feel hard to turn?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:28 PM
4th Gear

Noise stays the same when turning wheel, when reving engine it doesn't get louder, or I just can't hear it. The sound doesn't start happening until engine is up to temperature, no sound when cold. When engaging AC sound stays the same.

I will check the belt ridges today and reply back.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
From you description about it being from the passenger wheel well..

Does the noise aggravate when you turn your wheel? - possible culprit: P/S

Does your noise aggravate when you accelerate? - possible culprit: Alt. Belt

If P/S is suspected.. is it cold where you are?.. and does it go away once the engine compartment has come to operating temps?

If Alt belt is suspected.. engage your A/C, does it get louder?.. check the alt. pulley, any belt shavings (black soot)? Are the belt ridges sharp or flat? Any noticeable wear?

.. I put my bet on the P/S especially if it whines when you move the wheel. Look for any P/S fluid seeping from the pump.
Originally Posted by mullinsb79
There is a recall on the High Pressure P/S hose from Acura - maybe the power steering. Does it get louder when you turn the wheel? Does the steering feel hard to turn?
omgoodness THANK you for pointing this out, because up here at school it hovers around 0-12 degrees F. Upon start up the whine is loud, and when I turn the steering wheel the noise is INSANELY loud.

So I need to get my power steering check out, yes? I never went for the recall. Let me know asap; it's starting to worry me more and more.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by bforbrian
omgoodness THANK you for pointing this out, because up here at school it hovers around 0-12 degrees F. Upon start up the whine is loud, and when I turn the steering wheel the noise is INSANELY loud.

So I need to get my power steering check out, yes? I never went for the recall. Let me know asap; it's starting to worry me more and more.
are you being sarcastic? lol.. well if not.. don't forget that under recall they are obligated to give you a loaner.. even for a lowly p/s hose.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by seemach1
Noise stays the same when turning wheel, when reving engine it doesn't get louder, or I just can't hear it. The sound doesn't start happening until engine is up to temperature, no sound when cold. When engaging AC sound stays the same.

I will check the belt ridges today and reply back.
hmm..

1. sound near left engine compartment where belts are.
  2. only starts making noise at op temp
  3. sound doesn't increase / decrease at RPM, engaging A/C clutch / compressor pulley, turning wheel

let us know if you see belt residue on the alternator housing and the condition of the belt overall.. could be something leaking on the belt after the engine has turned on like p/s fluid from your pump which may make your belt squeal / whine and could damage your drive pulleys (rust & corrosion). If you don't notice anything.. take it in soon and have it checked out.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 134 Likes on 77 Posts
Damn, and the nearest acura dealer from my school is in syracuse (crest) which is 1 hr away. What a waste of time.

Btw, I wasn't being sarcastic lol, this problem is new to me.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:41 PM

lol.. my bad.. I figured that you've been on Azine so long that it would've come up. You can check your VIN as a sanity check to see if the recall has been done or not.. just in case they did the recalls when you last took it in for service.

The VIN check is below:

http://owners.acura.com/Maintenance/Recalls.aspx

call them and see if they can arrange to pick it up and deliver it.. otherwise it shouldn't take long to replace.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Brian ive told u my horror stories with my rack n pump..... do it do it! lol

what wheel well is it coming from see? if u press the clutch pedal down does the noise go away?
Old 01-27-2009, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bforbrian

There is TONS of info on this problem on AcuraZine. The noise is caused by a missing or incorrectly installed O-ring. Read the following tread and it will answer all your questions: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/04-tl-5at-power-steering-whine-695741/
Old 01-27-2009, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

if it was missing the car would be pissing fluid all the time if it was incorrectly installed it would be pissing fluid as well... this piece is actually the wrong piece they didnt calculate the part correctly and they just put something in that didnt mate with the surface correctly....they probably ran more tests after my 4th rack and pump was changed to see what they f***ed up lmao now im in for my 6th i hope they can figure out what it is now
Old 01-29-2009, 06:32 AM
4th Gear

OK, checked belt, grooves look ok, outside of belt is turning like a tan color, and has some facial cracks on it. Car has 85K miles on it, time for new belt? How much would it cost, I have to go anyway for the wiper recall.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
if it was missing the car would be pissing fluid all the time if it was incorrectly installed it would be pissing fluid as well... this piece is actually the wrong piece they didnt calculate the part correctly and they just put something in that didnt mate with the surface correctly....they probably ran more tests after my 4th rack and pump was changed to see what they f***ed up lmao now im in for my 6th i hope they can figure out what it is now
wow.. I'd be seriously annoyed after the 2nd.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by seemach1
OK, checked belt, grooves look ok, outside of belt is turning like a tan color, and has some facial cracks on it. Car has 85K miles on it, time for new belt? How much would it cost, I have to go anyway for the wiper recall.
eww.. sounds like you're on some original parts.. definitely get a new one. If you want to do it yourself it's not a big deal. Just release tensioner - swap and tighten. Otherwise, take it in and it'll cost you about $100.
Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Safety Car

dude after my 3rd they found out the parts were trashed from the factory and storage facility they had a flood or something and the parts were corroded so they gave me a new rack off of a type s and its still shot... im just waiting for the weather to be a lil better and im gonna drop it off at acura to have it taken care of
Old 01-29-2009, 04:51 PM
2009 g37s 6mt

gook luck TRIPN
Old 01-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Safety Car

lol thanks