What to do with my blown motor/car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013 | 11:19 AM
Study

What to do with my blown motor/car?

Car has 200k miles with a blown motor, the car is sitting in storage until I can figure out how I can get the most out of it money wise. I'm going to go ahead and file a claim on it but it probably wont pay out because it was a road hazard not a collision. I really do not want to fix it up, this car has been a curse since I got it. Now, I dont expect to make a profit or anything just dont want to "donate" it for $90.

What are your suggestions? I would try parting it out but the car is in a different state lol. Clean title in hand!

2004 base tl WDP

I believe the reason the motor was blown was due to a hole in the oil pan.

Last edited by GIXXERDK; 08-05-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-05-2013 | 11:21 AM
Registered Bike Offender

What to do with it depends on what kind of car it is I suppose. What is it?
Old 08-05-2013 | 11:24 AM
Study

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
What to do with it depends on what kind of car it is I suppose. What is it?
2004 base WDP TL
Old 08-05-2013 | 11:25 AM

and what happened to it?

you're expecting answers/help but we cant help if there isnt information for us...
Old 08-05-2013 | 11:27 AM
Study

Originally Posted by justnspace
and what happened to it?

you're expecting answers/help but we cant help if there isnt information for us...
Hole in oil pan, I must of hit something
Old 08-05-2013 | 11:32 AM

^any other info?
or do we have to beat it out of you???
Old 08-05-2013 | 11:37 AM
Study

Originally Posted by justnspace
^any other info?
or do we have to beat it out of you???
I dont know what you want to hear/know?

This was my post a few hours after
Im sitting in a gas station out of town on a business trip and this very same thing happened to me couple hours ago. I'm glad my run with the 04 is over with lol. I had 220k miles loads of small issues here and there, most worrisome was prob my tranny.

Heard clicking/oil light flashing. Decided to get off next exit, clicking got louder and louder and eventually knocking. I coast to a stop where the car turns off by itself. A very nice highway patrol gave me a lift to the gas station to buy some oil. Come back to car, she fills it for me(haha?). Has trouble starting but eventually started very roughly. Decided to crawl to the exit until I lost all power and now the engine wont turn over. I'm assuming the engine locked up. From point of clicking to oil light to knocking was under 2 min, im dumbfounded over that. It was fine all day today until the clicking started.

Highway patrol gave me a lift to the gas station again and just waiting here for my brother to pick me up.
Old 08-05-2013 | 11:41 AM

^thanks for the detailed info!!!
Old 08-05-2013 | 01:14 PM
Registered Bike Offender

I would try and sell it to someone who would fix it. I picked up my first car from a mechanic who got it from a person like you: motor was destroyed. You won't get much, but at least you can use it as a down payment for another car.

To repair it would be much more than it's worth at this point. Time to start shopping.
Old 08-05-2013 | 01:59 PM
Study

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
I would try and sell it to someone who would fix it. I picked up my first car from a mechanic who got it from a person like you: motor was destroyed. You won't get much, but at least you can use it as a down payment for another car.

To repair it would be much more than it's worth at this point. Time to start shopping.
Yea I think this is my best route. What would be a reasonable asking price? I'm thinking around $1500 but I'm no expert.

I picked up a new car few months ago got me a es350 I feel like I'm driving a cloud.
Old 08-05-2013 | 02:37 PM

recently, the government gave my parents $1000 for one of their old cars. Its called the CAP, california assistance program. its there to give people money for their old cars to help them buy newer cars that are more environmentally friendly. its $1000 minimum no matter what, and that old junker probably wouldnt even sell for that much, so my parents definitely came out ahead. however, I assume this program is only in california hence the name....

its not super easy though, the car has to meet a couple requirements. try searching if your state has something like this

honestly though I would do a part out if I were you,not sure what you mean by your car is out of state, why dont you just wait until you have the car with you then part it out? or have a friend help you make the part out transactions

Last edited by paperboy42190; 08-05-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 08-05-2013 | 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
recently, the government gave my parents $1000 for one of their old cars. Its called the CAP, california assistance program. its there to give people money for their old cars to help them buy newer cars that are more environmentally friendly. its $1000 minimum no matter what, and that old junker probably wouldnt even sell for that much, so my parents definitely came out ahead. however, I assume this program is only in california hence the name....

its not super easy though, the car has to meet a couple requirements. try searching if your state has something like this

honestly though I would do a part out if I were you,not sure what you mean by your car is out of state, why dont you just wait until you have the car with you then part it out? or have a friend help you make the part out transactions
Don't believe the TL would be in line for this program:

CA Vehicle Retirement
To qualify for the program your vehicle must fail its biennial smog check. The program will offer $1500 per vehicle as long as funds are available. You must first apply to CAP and obtain approval prior to receiving payment from a CAP-authorized dismantler. Contact the California State Bureau of Automotive Repairs.

As one can't check the drivetrain, selling a non-running vehicle is a tough job unless the right person comes along. If the car is in good shape and a replacement engine is all that's needed, get one installed for @ 1.5-2k and then sell the vehicle. If it's in poor condition just unload it as-is.
Old 08-05-2013 | 03:55 PM
Study

Originally Posted by paperboy42190

I live in atlanta and I was in nashville for business. On my way down the car got stopped near chattanaooga TN which is 1 hr 40 min from where I live. Towing is too expensive and not cost efficient, it just doesnt make sense to spend 300+$ towing it.
Old 08-05-2013 | 04:25 PM
Instructor

its a bad situation since its not close to you. but honestly people are going to low ball you alot since its not running.

if it was me i would buy a used engine for like 800. and have it installed and then sell the car for like 6-7k..

or if you thats not possible..put the car for sale for like 3500 needing an engine and im sure someone will buy it..its still an acura..and if they put a new engine they can get another 100k out of it easily
Old 08-06-2013 | 10:33 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Originally Posted by kibbles906
if it was me i would buy a used engine for like 800. and have it installed and then sell the car for like 6-7k..
If you have the money and time to do this, you'll probably come out with more cash in the end. You just need to have quite a bit up front and have the time to do the legwork. It's a tradeoff to consider. Good luck! Let us know what happens.
Old 08-06-2013 | 04:31 PM
Drifting

I'd take Kibbles advice.

And for the future, if your oil light ever blinks, pull over immediately. 2 minutes is a looooooooooooooooooong time for an oil light to be blinking and plenty of time (as you now know) for an engine to go from completely functional to a big hunk of useless seized metal.
Old 08-07-2013 | 02:18 PM
Team Owner

Agreed. We don't have a low oil level light, just a low oil pressure light. The second that light comes on, damage is being done. I'm impressed it went 2 minutes with no pressure.

What area are you in? If it were me I would rebuild it unless you can find a used engine for under $1,000. Replace the timing belt, maybe even the rear main seal and valve cover seals while it's out of the car which will add value when you sell it for little additional cost.

Last edited by I hate cars; 08-07-2013 at 02:20 PM.