VSA light on after bearing replacement! do I need an ECU reset?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
VSA light on after bearing replacement! do I need an ECU reset?

Hey guys been a while since I've been on here. So today I finished re-doing the front suspension and some of the steering on my 04 MT TL. I installed new lower ball joints, control arm and strut mount bushings, and new hub bearings; on both sides. Everything went smoothly, the car drives great but I have the VSA and yellow triangle light on. the code that keeps coming up is 84-1,Logic failure I think. I'll double check in the morning.
My scanner pics up even speed on all 4 wss, but once i hit about 40 mph the scanner stops communicating and the VSA light sets a current code 84-1. This was not happening before all the front end work. And I still have a f-ing scrapping noise under light acceleration it's driving me nuts. I read on another old post that Acura has to do a reset and calibration of the ABS. Is this true? or can I do a battery hard reset to completely clear the memory? I did that on a Land rover today for an air suspension problem that wouldn't clear with a scan tool. That fixed the land rover, I'm wondering if that's what my TL needs. Any thoughts or advice are welcome. Glad to be back on here!
-ps some of the people on here that know me know I'm a competent auto technician..i don't think I damaged the new bearing or sensor, and NO the bearings are not in backwards lol.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:14 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
You might have to take it to the dealer for them to use the HDS to reset the system. I would try driving it for some miles and see if it resets itself..kind of like a learning procedure.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:04 PM
performace tl-s

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by NJAcura2004
Hey guys been a while since I've been on here. So today I finished re-doing the front suspension and some of the steering on my 04 MT TL. I installed new lower ball joints, control arm and strut mount bushings, and new hub bearings; on both sides. Everything went smoothly, the car drives great but I have the VSA and yellow triangle light on. the code that keeps coming up is 84-1,Logic failure I think. I'll double check in the morning.
My scanner pics up even speed on all 4 wss, but once i hit about 40 mph the scanner stops communicating and the VSA light sets a current code 84-1. This was not happening before all the front end work. And I still have a f-ing scrapping noise under light acceleration it's driving me nuts. I read on another old post that Acura has to do a reset and calibration of the ABS. Is this true? or can I do a battery hard reset to completely clear the memory? I did that on a Land rover today for an air suspension problem that wouldn't clear with a scan tool. That fixed the land rover, I'm wondering if that's what my TL needs. Any thoughts or advice are welcome. Glad to be back on here!
-ps some of the people on here that know me know I'm a competent auto technician..i don't think I damaged the new bearing or sensor, and NO the bearings are not in backwards lol.
just do this and you be fine (

perform the neutral position memorization: 1.Park the vehicle on a flat level surface.
2. With the ignition switch off, ground the Brown wire in terminal #9 of the OBD-II connector.
3. Turn the ignition switch on and do not depress the brake pedal. 4. The ABS indicator turns on and then goes out after 2 seconds.
5. After the ABS indicator goes out, the press and release the VSA off button once within 0.5 seconds.
6. After the ABS indicator turns on again, the press and release the VSA off switch once within 0.5 seconds.
7. The VSA activation indicator should sound blink 2 times and go off in one second, then the system completes the neutral position memorization. If the lights do not go out repeat the procedure again.

I got this out my repair manual it let me know if it work. And if you have any code question just pm.
The following users liked this post:
NJAcura2004 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rubenders
just do this and you be fine (

perform the neutral position memorization: 1.. After the ABS indicator goes out, the press and release the VSA of.

thanks rubenders! I found the same procedure on our identifix system at work and i did the reset and everything works great1 Car rides like friggin brand new i love it!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:57 PM
performace tl-s

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
thanks rubenders! I found the same procedure on our identifix system at work and i did the reset and everything works great1 Car rides like friggin brand new i love it!
Good news men
Old 09-02-2013, 10:36 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I was wondering if you could help me out with this same thing. I replaced the wheel sensor and wheel bearing My ABS light went out but both VSA lights stayed on. So I grounded terminal 9 by placing a wire in the terminal and going through the steps in the manual, but the VSA light doesn't blink or go off. Im not sure if Im doing something wrong
Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
did you follow post #3 ?

If not, head to your local Autozone / Pep boys and ask them to let you use their ABS scan tool.
You will need to reset the VSA light
Old 09-03-2013, 09:56 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by flyromeo3
did you follow post #3 ?

If not, head to your local Autozone / Pep boys and ask them to let you use their ABS scan tool.
You will need to reset the VSA light
Yes I did follow step 3 and it doesn't work. Before I replaced my bearing, the ABS light and both VSA lights were on. Now that I replaced the bearing, the ABS light turned off. Now when I start my car, only the VSA triangle light is on. But when I start driving, the VSA middle light turns on as well. So you think autozone will be able to reset the VSA?
Old 04-09-2014, 12:05 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was easy, I did it in less than 5 minutes and now my car is running great! So happy for these forums, I hate going to the dealership!
The following users liked this post:
Stufflebeme (09-17-2020)