Transmission question-please help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission question-please help!!!!!

hi guys i been thru 3 transmissions on the past couple months, when the shop fix the 1st one they ask me to bring the oil and i get the redline so i used 11 qts of the redline. same with the second, now im using the 3rd transmission and i don't know if is because the oil im using or if is the shop who is not working on my car the right way, so my question is...is fine if i use straight redline atf or do i have to mixed half and half with the oem. please help thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd bet it's the shop. What kind of crappy shop sends the customers shopping for materials?
Old 04-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The problem is probably some $50 solenoid, switch, or sensor, not the transmission itself. Most likely an incorrect diagnosis. It's very possible an electrical problem can toast a transmission but I bet they were all fine at least when installed. I wonder when the shop will realize its not the transmission at fault, number 10?
The following users liked this post:
Chuck77083 (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Cruisin'

they told me that the problem was the tc the 1st time. but when i drove the car it had this buzzing sound after 2 days my car Down shift really bad. i was doing 60 and it down shift to 1st so imagine. i took it back to the shop and they told me the case was toast because one of the clips come off and ruin the tranny. they said never touch the tranny they just replace the tc. soeven when they support chance the internal filter and reseal the tranny. so they charge me again. finally i got my car back and i was driving my car home when i notice any of my steering wheel control was working. so they mess the clock spring, when i call them about that they said never touch the steering wheel even when the wheel is not align like it was before. so anyways i just eat it and buy an steering column and fix it my self. couple weeks after i lift my car to do an oil change and i notice all the bolts on the plastic cover under the tranny were lose and some ones had missing bolts, one of the tranny mount bolt were missing also, it had an small oil leak and one of the solids was lose too. so i fix all that, check the oil level and it was over filled, i was like well maybe i need to warm the car, so i leave it like that, the day after i was on the middle of nowhere and i was cruising when i was passing this car up the hill i notice the car wasn't going any faster suddenly lost all the power and i saw this smoke coming of the back of the car and the rpm were really high. i pull over and it was leaking at really bad. i try to call a tow truck but i didn't had any signal so i try to drive my car a little further and the car wasn't moving, 20 min after and after i check every single sensor and hoses to make sure everything was fine, and find nothing wrong or disconnected i jump on the car and start moving again. so i just keep moving on my trip. i drove the car for 10 straight hours with out a problem, by the way i check the oil level and it was perfect after a least 3 qts i trew on the freeway. so i took it back to the tranny guy and i told them everything what happen and he said they leave the oil level over because if something leak the customer can see the leak and took it back to the shop with oil still. i was like 3 qts? be said yes, he said the oil smelled burn and they need to pull the tranny again to see what the problem was, after 2 weeks and after he told me they were going to charge me for wherever parts they need i pull my car out of that shop. im very frustrated and im thinking on sue those guys for all the money i spend with tow trucks 22 qts of redline. filters and tow trucks. but i don't know how to do it or if is worth it, right now the car runs good except for this little hard shift from 1st to second. so im very frustrated now. so im wondering if i get some of that oil out and put some oem atf
Old 04-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Lol we put extra oil so when the car leaks it out they still have fluid left... Hahahah that sounds like they are expecting the car to fail. Better business bureau .... Look into that.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Intermediate

Hey guys Dont mean to Jack the thread but im a newbee and i cant post New threads.

I see above in Post #3 you mention a 50$ solenoid.....I JUST PURCHASED a 2004 TL and the dang tranny is acting up. I had Codes P0741 and P0721.

Basically what happens is the car drives ok untill it warms up. and then it acts as if the car is in nuetral and when i press the accelerator the engine just REVS....if i turn the car off for a few seconds it will drive for a little but then it goes right back to Neutral.

I checked the Tranny fluid and it looked good. not discolored or Low. WHAT COULD BE MY PROBLEM!???

Thanks in advance for ur help.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck77083
Hey guys Dont mean to Jack the thread but im a newbee and i cant post New threads.

I see above in Post #3 you mention a 50$ solenoid.....I JUST PURCHASED a 2004 TL and the dang tranny is acting up. I had Codes P0741 and P0721.

Basically what happens is the car drives ok untill it warms up. and then it acts as if the car is in nuetral and when i press the accelerator the engine just REVS....if i turn the car off for a few seconds it will drive for a little but then it goes right back to Neutral.

I checked the Tranny fluid and it looked good. not discolored or Low. WHAT COULD BE MY PROBLEM!???

Thanks in advance for ur help.
Welcome to the forums.

There is nothing to prevent you from starting a new thread in this forum. Click on the "New Thread" button near the top of the forum page.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:21 AM
Cruisin'

Angry

thats excactly what happen to my tranny the 1st time, thats a faulty tcc. anyways i remove the solenoids on my car today to clean them, i removed the oil filter and guess what? those mother f#//#% never replaced the filter. it was like 10 years old and it was falling apart, now im pissed :-@
Old 04-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts
techincally you never have to change the filter