Tranny is slipping what should i do please advise...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Tranny is slipping what should i do please advise...

So i noticed my tranny starting to slip about a month or two after i got this car with 75k. I did the 3x3 as soon as I got a chance. Hoping it would take care of the issue or at least hold me over for a while. Unfortunately now three weeks later I am getting some slipping again especially 2nd and third.

Question is should I get one of those extended warranties, I did some research and made some calls. I found some for around the 1k range that would cover my powertrain only for 50k miles or 3 years. I also checked around and see that I can get a tranny with about 20k miles from an 05 for under a grand. I have changed trannies before so I would do it myself if need be but it is obviously a hassle. Also I will be living 8 hours from home during this summer. So if it decided to go while I was away from home I would pretty much be forced to pay someone to do the work for me. So do I take the gamble that is is going to go in the next three years and basically pay for a new tranny now or hold out and hope for the best.

The choice seems pretty clear to me but I want to see what other guys here think and also if I have any other options. Does anyone have experience with these things.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:29 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Search is your friend, there is lots of reading for the cure. Change to synthetic fluid and change out switches.

Last edited by lariat; 04-02-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Change to Redline Racing ATF and replace your 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Instructor

Ive changed the 3rd and 4th gear pressure sensor, changed the atf filter, and switched to redline type f already, still slipping.

I did find another option today though. I talked to a friend who is a mechanical engineer for a company that makes transmission rebuild kits he said there are couple guys he works with who rebuild transmissions on the side. He said they will do it for $1200 including pulling the transmission all the parts and fluid. He said the guy has done a few of these transmission before and said he knows his shit. He said he would definetelly trust him with his car. So it may be a very good option for me.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Fluid change and trade in.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Has anyone on this thread even read my posts, or just read the title and immediately made a comment just off of the title. Everything that can possibly be done to save the transmission besides a full rebuild has been done and it has not worked. Why would I trade in a car that is perfectly fine when I can get the transmission rebuilt. Even if i did trade it in and bought a new car the taxes I would be paying on the new car would be more than a new transmission. Plus I would have no clue I am getting a good transmission on the new car, at least with a rebuilt transmission I know for relatively certain I am getting a transmission that will last 100-200k miles.

I like this forum a lot and have gotten a lot of great info from here but for some reason which I cannot understand there seems to be a lot of people that post on here that make absolutely no sense. I posted this thread on two other forums and got ten times more responses and better answers on both of them.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:14 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You didn't give any details till post #4, other than you did a 3x3 change!. What else do you expect ?, looks like rebuild time!.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:46 AM
Instructor

yeah i'm not faulting you i was really mostly referring to this guy that just made that last reply. When I said I did the 3x3 I thought people would assume type f.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
You know red text means it's a joke right? Good luck with your rebuild.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:06 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
You could try Acura and see if they will goodwill the car (the powertrain warranty is good to 70K), and if that fails, use a transmission shop (like AAMCO where you might pay more for the repair, but will get warranty coverage after the work is done). I don't know if I would do the $1200 transmission option with the engineer who allegedly knows his stuff, unless there was a warranty offered for the work.

Buying a warranty after you're having issues with the transmission, and then expecting the warranty to cover it may not work either. You have to read the fine print, as I'm sure others have tried this in the past (the companies don't want to be victims of fraud).

Last edited by erdoc48; 04-03-2011 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by erdoc48
You could try Acura and see if they will goodwill the car (the powertrain warranty is good to 70K), and if that fails, use a transmission shop (like AAMCO where you might pay more for the repair, but will get warranty coverage after the work is done). I don't know if I would do the $1200 transmission option with the engineer who allegedly knows his stuff, unless there was a warranty offered for the work.

Buying a warranty after you're having issues with the transmission, and then expecting the warranty to cover it may not work either. You have to read the fine print, as I'm sure others have tried this in the past (the companies don't want to be victims of fraud).
How do I get in contact with acura? But I would trust this guy he has done it for his whole life it is his hobby and job, it's not like he is your every day garage mechanic he designs transmissions and components. The warranty companies do have some a wait period where you can't make a claim for 3 months and you have to have receipts that prove your were driving it over those three months (oil change receipts specifically). I am shying away from that idea though everything I have heard about those warranties is bad after I asked around for peoples experiences.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:37 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
You would probably have to start by going to the nearest dealership and have them find out what's wrong.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
If you did the racing (type F) fluid and switches, I hate to say it's time for a rebuild.

I would take it into Acura, tell them it's toast and ask them what they can do for you. They may come back with a good offer.

If you can't get it good willed, your friend sounds like the best bet.

An auto trans rebuild is only $200-$300 in parts, the rest is labor and "warranty". $1,200 is more than enough to get a quality rebuild assuming someone will take a cut in labor. Many people are afraid of the Honda 5at so they charge more in case it comes back under warranty.

If he's in the industry and understands these things you will probably get a better job from him than from the reman units Honda will put in. If the offer Honda gives you is anywhere near his $1,200 I would go with him instead.

Make sure you check to see if Transgo makes a "shift improvement" kit or an "update" kit. This is not a traditional shift kit, it corrects shifting, lube, and other oddball problems that the factory got wrong. The kits are to improve the life of the trans and very important (and cheap) during a rebuild.

Once it's rebuilt, I would drive it for 100 miles and then switch over to the Type F fluid again. As long as it's rebuilt correctly, with this fluid and new switches every 3 years you should never have to worry about the trans again.

Oh, and don't take it to Aamco or Cottmans. Worst shops out there.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Instructor

Thanks I hate Cars, I was hoping you would chime in on this. That is exactly what I plan on doing. The only thing is it has really had one out burst of slipping, which was Friday when I left work it has been fine since then. Given the fact I can reproduce the problem taking it to a dealership will be pointless. Do you think I should wait until it gets worse/does it more frequently. If I were living at home I would wait for sure, but what worries me is if it does it while I am living 8 hours from home over the summer. I will have to either pay a small fortune to get it fixed in D.C., or haul it back to Ohio to be fixed which will cost a lot either way.

Basically my question is 6 weeks from know I will be moving, if in 4 weeks or so it is still slipping very rarely should I just have it rebuild, since I am sure an Acura dealership won't do anything about such an intermittent problem. Or should I assume it won't get much worse over three months and take the risk of driving it 8 hours away from home.