Tough problem.... Professional opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Supraru, no sexual acts talked about on this pubic forum.
The following users liked this post:
Undying Dreams (01-25-2013)
Old 02-01-2013, 02:11 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
rotors cut....no more vibrations! thanks guys!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question "I'm pickin' up brake vibrations"

There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people checking this thread, so here goes...

I replaced my OEM brakes (fronts & rears) at 65k miles with the XRL8 Acurazine brake package of Stoptech slotted rotors and Stoptech performance pads. They now have two years/22k on them with no issues whatsoever.

I had my clutch/flywheel replaced at a stealership about 3 months ago, which would require them to take apart most of the front wheel/brake/drivetrain components. I've put at least 2000 miles on the car since, but just now am getting a lot of brake vibration coming to a stop from almost any speed except parking lot cruising.

What could cause this? I'm sure they used a air gun to tighten the lugs, so yesterday I loosened and re-tightened them to 80 ft/lbs. Inspection of the rotors seemed like uniform wear. Is there any other piece I should check (caliper pins, etc) to try to diagnose. The car is my DD, but not driven or braked overly-aggressively. Would "resetting" the lugs make the problem slowly go away if that was the issue?

Anyone else had problems with Stoptech stuff? Seems too soon to have the rotors go bad. Plenty of pad left too. Could the rotors be wearing down and the slots are creating the vibrations?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:24 PM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by gilla_monster
There seems to be a lot of knowledgeable people and a single idiot checking this thread, so here goes...

I replaced my OEM brakes (fronts & rears) at 65k miles with the XRL8 Acurazine brake package of Stoptech slotted rotors and Stoptech performance pads. They now have two years/22k on them with no issues whatsoever.

I had my clutch/flywheel replaced at a stealership about 3 months ago, which would require them to take apart most of the front wheel/brake/drivetrain components. I've put at least 2000 miles on the car since, but just now am getting a lot of brake vibration coming to a stop from almost any speed except parking lot cruising.

What could cause this? I'm sure they used a air gun to tighten the lugs, so yesterday I loosened and re-tightened them to 80 ft/lbs. Inspection of the rotors seemed like uniform wear. Is there any other piece I should check (caliper pins, etc) to try to diagnose. The car is my DD, but not driven or braked overly-aggressively. Would "resetting" the lugs make the problem slowly go away if that was the issue?

Anyone else had problems with Stoptech stuff? Seems too soon to have the rotors go bad. Plenty of pad left too. Could the rotors be wearing down and the slots are creating the vibrations?
Hokay, so:

First question: Did you notice the vibration right after your clutch replacement?

Does the car pull to a certain side while braking or any other noises that might indicate a problem other than brakes? My thought here is a possible compliance bushing concern.

I just want to point out to you that when they replaced your clutch,they at least partially removed the axles (left the outboard joints in the knuckles), unbolted the lower ball joints,removed the front subframe COMPLETELY,and proceeded with the actual clutch replacement.
Also, i use an impact gun to run down my lugs and haven't had a rotor warp..yet. obviously i don't run them down forever, just a couple of quick bursts usually has them snug enough. Now,who's to say the technician that performed your clutch replacement isn't quite as careful? or that he is super anal, there's a tech at my dealer that goes around the car checking the torque on the lugs of every car he works on at least 2-3 times.

If i were you, go back to them. Tell them the vibration started right after the clutch replacement and you want to know what the cause is. If they determine it's a bad rotor, they should know the runout and be able to give you the specs.

Last edited by Project_CLean; 07-03-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:11 PM
10th Gear

just posting for the sake of it

I need a few more postings to get picture upload privileges, lol
Old 07-03-2013, 02:31 PM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You can't post while possibly being productive/helpful?
Old 07-25-2013, 02:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Project_CLean
Hokay, so:

First question: Did you notice the vibration right after your clutch replacement?

Does the car pull to a certain side while braking or any other noises that might indicate a problem other than brakes? My thought here is a possible compliance bushing concern.

I just want to point out to you that when they replaced your clutch,they at least partially removed the axles (left the outboard joints in the knuckles), unbolted the lower ball joints,removed the front subframe COMPLETELY,and proceeded with the actual clutch replacement.
Also, i use an impact gun to run down my lugs and haven't had a rotor warp..yet. obviously i don't run them down forever, just a couple of quick bursts usually has them snug enough. Now,who's to say the technician that performed your clutch replacement isn't quite as careful? or that he is super anal, there's a tech at my dealer that goes around the car checking the torque on the lugs of every car he works on at least 2-3 times.

If i were you, go back to them. Tell them the vibration started right after the clutch replacement and you want to know what the cause is. If they determine it's a bad rotor, they should know the runout and be able to give you the specs.
Thanks for the reply. It really didn't start until about 2-3 months after, so I can't directly blame it on them. I also didn't notice any lugs much tighter than others when taking them off most recently to re-torque them at 80 ft-lbs.
I don't get any side to side movement during braking at any speed. Just very substantial vibration (it rattles my house keys in the ignition!)
Wild idea, since the brembo calipers are so easy to pop the pads out, what if I rotated them to the other side?? I think I might go to the dealer tomorrow and see if they can take a look at the rotors. They likely won't want to resurface since they are slotted, but as you said, they can at least let me know if that is the problem.
While on the subject, is it normal for brakes to drag slightly when first driving the car in the morning? I can hear the pads scraping for the first 1/2 mile or so, or until I make a hard stop.