TL/Manual Transmission/3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may shock alot of you but I had to have third gear sync. replaced on my first 04 TL that at that time had only 1800 miles on it! I have an 05 now and it is nice to know that there is a fix. Anyone tried Amsoil's Synchromesh MTF yet?
Old 04-03-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dubojr1
Meow meow 1800 miles on it! meow meow~! I have an 05 now and it is nice to know that there is a fix. Bling bling.... Anyone tried Amsoil's Synchromesh MTF yet?
Are ya stupid?

A fix?

That is not a fix. That's like using a fever reducer when your body always carry cold virus. They are always there, you are just using the Aspirin or Thera-Flu to "reduce" the pain "TEMPORARILY". This last paragraph is the most important information for the entire world wide web. Very very valuable and very direct. Study this and memorize it please. Not many people even know how to explain it. Well, I answered, good.......
Old 04-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by acford
... I realize there are many people on here that have been using the GM fluid for "thousands of miles", but nobody has tested it long term(5+ years/100,000 miles or greater). That was my initial concern.

I agree with you now though. It's not like I'm switching out my gears with aftermarket parts or something like that. All I'm doing is using a different oil. I'll be changing mine out for the GM as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the input.
Well, it's not 100,000 miles, but I'm a bit more than halfway there...

I replaced my tranny fluid at 3,500 miles on my car with the GM Friction Modified Synchromesh fluid. 52,000 miles later the tranny is as smooth as butter without even one bad shift from 2nd to 3rd. It has never popped out of 3rd gear. PROBLEM SOLVED.

In all the threads I've read on this issue:
a) I can't recall one person saying the GM FM Synchromesh fluid doesn't solve the problem 100% after trying it.
b) There are several posts claiming that their Acura service department actually replaced the Acura fluid with the GM fluid.
c) No one has reported a transmission failure warranty claim that has been denied by Acura because they used the GM fluid. (and if transmission work were necessary, just change out the GM fluid with the Acura fluid before you brought it in for service.)
d) Heck, no one has reported the need for transmission work after putting in the GM fluid.
e) The GM FM Synchromesh fluid was endorsed by Road Rage, God rest his posts. Road Rage was the most articulate, knowledgeable and informed board member ever. If you have doubt, read his posts. (Ok, you can pretty much ignore his floorjack posts).

Has ANYONE who has tried the GM fluid found it to be less than a perfect fix???
Old 04-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dubojr1
This may shock alot of you but I had to have third gear sync. replaced on my first 04 TL that at that time had only 1800 miles on it! I have an 05 now and it is nice to know that there is a fix. Anyone tried Amsoil's Synchromesh MTF yet?
My dealer tried replacing the 3rd gear synch as well to no avail. They actually made it worse. The next step for them was to replace the transmission at about 3000 miles.

I tried Amsoil and it shifted better but it was not as good as it should be. There is little reason to try anything other than the GM stuff.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:48 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckDu
Has ANYONE who has tried the GM fluid found it to be less than a perfect fix???
I've not heard of one. It only seems the people that don't try it say it won't work. Personally, with the GM stuff, I've tried to really stop worrying about what might happen sometime many years from now and focus on what works today. I'm not saying ignore long term risk but analyze it and don't let it paralyze you.

Perhaps not truly a "fix" (repair: restore by replacing a part or putting together what is torn or broken) but perhaps a "cure" (bring around: provide a cure for, make healthy again).
Which brings me to...
Originally Posted by meowcat
That is not a fix. That's like using a fever reducer when your body always carry cold virus. They are always there, you are just using the Aspirin or Thera-Flu to "reduce" the pain "TEMPORARILY". This last paragraph is the most important information for the entire world wide web. Very very valuable and very direct. Study this and memorize it please. Not many people even know how to explain it. Well, I answered, good.......
"Reduce" and "Temporarily"? Which part of "eliminates" and "has never come back" have you missed in all the member's postings?

Your still being a "wet blanket" about this (Are you Elmer Higgins come back to haunt in the form of a cat? [inside AZ joke]). The fluid in a synchromesh system plays a major roll that is well beyond, and is not characterised as in your other posts as, just being "super slippery" and "ultra fresh"? MTF is just as much a "part" of the system as a metal gear. Sure, it would be great if the TL's MT could run on any old crap laying around the garage. I'd love it, it doesn't, get over it. Besides, didn't I see you say that you lease your car? If so then WTF are you holding back for ? Time's-a-tickin and the clock on your enjoyment is running out ! All the benefits, none of the (supposed) risk. Perfect !
Old 04-04-2007, 07:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by meowCat
Are ya stupid?

A fix?

Why do you keep posting on subjects that you know very little about?

You were wrong on where the engine is built.

You were wrong on where the transmission is built.

You are wrong on the effects of GM fluid. Every post about using the stuff has come back the same "problem solved" You have not tried it and you don't know enough to speak intelligently on the subject, so don't!
Old 04-04-2007, 08:20 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckDu
The GM FM Synchromesh fluid was endorsed by Road Rage, God rest his posts. Road Rage was the most articulate, knowledgeable and informed board member ever. If you have doubt, read his posts. (Ok, you can pretty much ignore his floorjack posts).
Most importantly, its also endorsed by Da Head a Da Family.......SO DEAH !
Old 04-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bmaczo6
Why do you keep posting on subjects that you know very little about?

You were wrong on where the engine is built.
Instead of just telling me it's *wrong* tell me where the 3rd gen TL engines are built. Why don't you tell me that? Hope you know the answer otherwise you wouldn't be in the situation to tell me I am "wrong".

You were wrong on where the transmission is built.
Again, son, tell me where the transmission is built. Tell me.

You are wrong on the effects of GM fluid. Every post about using the stuff has come back the same "problem solved" You have not tried it and you don't know enough to speak intelligently on the subject, so don't!
It's a f#@kin OIL, read OIL. It is using OIL to temporarily reduce/remove the problem people are experiencing. Once the oil gets degraded, the 3rd gear problem comes back. Watch your mouth........ you little punk.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned

It doesn't f#@k ass matter whether the GM fluid "reduces" or "TEMPORARILY" (read this word one hundred times) removes the problem. YOU SHOULDN'T BE using it in the first place. I have talked to the service department and human relations at Acura regarding this and they said DO NOT USE GM Fluid. Get this through your head, bmaczo6.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:27 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
[directed to meowcat]Why do you keep posting on subjects that you know very little about?
So I'm not the only one that thinks the same thing. Tiring, isn't it.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:36 PM
Racer

It doesn't f#@k ass matter whether the GM fluid "reduces" or "TEMPORARILY" (read this word one hundred times) removes the problem.
Not one forum member has reported that it only fixes it "TEMPORARILY". Again, only post about things you know about, although that could significantly impact your number of posts.

I have talked to the service department and human relations at Acura regarding this and they said DO NOT USE GM Fluid.
Sure you have, we believe you.

It has been reported on the forum by several members that there have been Acura/Honda dealers using the GM stuff. The last service advisor that I spoke with at my local Acura dealer said it is well known that the best way to smooth out shifting in Honda transmissions was to use the GMFM fluid.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
It doesn't f#@k ass matter whether the GM fluid "reduces" or "TEMPORARILY" (read this word one hundred times) removes the problem. YOU SHOULDN'T BE using it in the first place. I have talked to the service department and human relations at Acura regarding this and they said DO NOT USE GM Fluid. Get this through your head, bmaczo6.

consider this your first and last warning meow.

the next insult I see you throw out in 3G you get a vacation...
Old 04-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Stop the bickering kids. I opened this thread to tell people that I finally switched to the new fluid.

If you cant post without getting out of line then dont post. This is the last warning Ill hand out...
Old 04-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Banned

Not one forum member has reported that it only fixes it "TEMPORARILY". Again, only post about things you know about, although that could significantly impact your number of posts.

You still haven't answered the questions. Do you know which one they are? Hint: Engine and the Transmission. Those two things. I am still waiting to hear from you. I'd like to hear what you gonna say about that.

I have talked to the service department and human relations at Acura regarding this and they said DO NOT USE GM Fluid.
Sure you have, we believe you.

It has been reported on the forum by several members that there have been Acura/Honda dealers using the GM stuff. The last service advisor that I spoke with at my local Acura dealer said it is well known that the best way to smooth out shifting in Honda transmissions was to use the GMFM fluid.
Are you telling me I'm making this up?

Why don't you call Acura dealer at Ed Martin Acura at 317-846-3800. That is the number to Gabe Greene. Also talk to the Customer Relation and have them ask the Honda/Acura Engineers to see if GM Modified Synchromesh Transmission Oil is allowed to use on Acura TL without getting warranty voided. Ask that. They are already aware of this problem and give you an answer by now since I have already talked to them about it. They have the report for 2006 models and it has been posted regarding the 3rd gear problem and that they cannot do anything about it at the moment. It is being trended and there is no real fix to it. Why the hell do I even say "real fix". It's either a fix or no fix. No ghey oil stuff that hide the problem. They have admitted that this is a known design problem. Give them a call and talk to them. Then you come back and talk to me and see who is right.

Oh yeah... let me quote you again.
I really hope you aren't making this up. Find out what members say that. The Acura corp is saying that the use of GM Synchromesh MTF will void the warranty so do not use it. Now you tell me the other Acura dealers are using GM MTF???????? If that is the case, we have a big federal case here. That is a violation. I really hope you aren't making this up.
Old 04-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Recap of the stuff EVERYONE knows:
1) The transmission has a problem with the stock fluid installed.
2) The new Acura fluid helps, but not totally.
3) The GM fluid cures the symptoms, but may void the warranty.
So you can choose to take the risk and install the GM fluid.
Or, you can live with the performance as is.
Those are the only 2 choices.
So, what are we arguing about? Too much catnip?
Mods, when are you going to close this thread?
Old 04-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandynmike
Recap of the stuff EVERYONE knows:
1) The transmission has a problem with the stock fluid installed.
2) The new Acura fluid helps, but not totally.
3) The GM fluid cures the symptoms, but may void the warranty.
So you can choose to take the risk and install the GM fluid.
Or, you can live with the performance as is.
Those are the only 2 choices.
So, what are we arguing about? Too much catnip?
pardon me.....

The recap #3 is more like this. 3) The GM fluid removes the problem for "long term", but not "permanently", but it will void the Acura Warranty.

This also divides into two:

- The "improved" Honda/Acura "help" "reduces" the problem "temporarily". This is a "short-term" fix.

- GM Modified Synchro MTF removes the problem in "long-term", but not "permanent".

Now that's more like it.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by sandynmike
sooner or later he's going to hang himself..

meh, its not worth leaving open....