TL going through too much Antifreeze. Possible leak? Weather related?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:59 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Zigma
I spoke them today, was unable to get a hold of the service manager as he's on the phone. I was only able to get ahold of the service writer :/ Her name is Evet. I told her about the issue with the power steering and how I believe there isn't a problem with the pump itself and its due to the oring/leak in air that causes the wierd noise... Funny thing is, this isn't even what i took my car in for but informed them to do the recall, I guess they're trying to make $. I told them to do the recall and make sure to replace the oring.

They will be doing the pressure test today as they didnt do it.
They said your cooling system is okay and they didn't do a pressure test.. that is B.S. and very scary.. btw.. they don't want you to talk to the service mgr.. they never do.. you need to be persistent.. when they come to greet you say "no, I'll wait"..

well anyways.. let us know what they say and if I were you I'd decline whatever parts they try to push until you get back to us or get some informed advice.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
majofo dude ur so right man always be cool with them....ive encountered some pricks myself and guess what they lost their jobs not because of me but im sure because of other people complaining and telling them not to deal wiht that guy. ive always been nice n professional...except this one time at band camp lmao ok lemme stop

Last edited by Tripnbeats; 01-23-2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it sucks too because its costing me $40 a day for the rental that I have. I'm going to demand to speak with the service manager when they call me back. I also want to make sure they don't stiff me on the pump and make sure they REPLACE the o-ring. How can I make sure they do this and not try to stick me to go back and spend the money on the pump. I should be looking for an orange tab correct?
Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 AM

it sucks too because its costing me $40 a day for the rental that I have. I'm going to demand to speak with the service manager when they call me back. I also want to make sure they don't stiff me on the pump and make sure they REPLACE the o-ring. How can I make sure they do this and not try to stick me to go back and spend the money on the pump. I should be looking for an orange tab correct?
The newer o-rings are orange for the inlet which is what they need to replace as part of the hose recall. Why are you in a rental? They should give you a loaner.. or at least give you a ride if none are available. With a recall order, they are req'd to give you an available loaner.. They should comp you since you have a rental car.. free oil changes or something.. talk to the mgr about that.

Last edited by Majofo; 01-23-2009 at 11:10 AM.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Majofo
The newer o-rings are orange for the inlet which is what they need to replace as part of the hose recall. Why are you in a rental? They should give you a loaner.. or at least give you a ride if none are available. With a recall order, they are req'd to give you an available loaner.. They should comp you since you have a rental car.. free oil changes or something.. talk to the mgr about that.
No idea, I asked and they said they aren't available...

I appreciate everything you guys are doing. I'll keep you all informed. They need to give me a call soon.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:33 AM
Safety Car

zig which dealer did u go to? manhattan acura??PM me
Old 01-23-2009, 12:05 PM
Racer

Valley Stream Acura.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Racer

They called me back. they said that all my fuel injectors need to be replaced... I spoke to Norman, the Service Manager. I informed him that I won't be able to afford to keep the car at their dealership because $40 a day for a rental is just too much.

I asked if there was any way they could at least provide a discount, if not, then unfortunately I would have to go somewhere more local. They will give me a call at the end of the day.
It really sucks but I might have to do that. I hope they can provide some type of loaner. Hopefully they can if not then I'm gonna have to go to another dealership.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:49 PM
Burning Brakes

They called me back. they said that all my fuel injectors need to be replaced... I spoke to Norman, the Service Manager. I informed him that I won't be able to afford to keep the car at their dealership because $40 a day for a rental is just too much.

I asked if there was any way they could at least provide a discount, if not, then unfortunately I would have to go somewhere more local. They will give me a call at the end of the day.
It really sucks but I might have to do that. I hope they can provide some type of loaner. Hopefully they can if not then I'm gonna have to go to another dealership.
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......?
I think its time for a second opinion....i dont think ive ever heard a car needing all its fuel injectors replaced.........

try running down the gasoline tank and refilling with good premium gas you trust....Could be the comp is slightly confused and threw a code due to a bad batch of gas.
Throw in a bottle of techron too. I would.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:56 PM

I'd take your car out of there immediately.. definitely doesn't seem right.. I'll try to find a reasoning between the DTC, your coolant level dropping and the fuel injectors but something doesn't seem right.. if it was the PGM-FI system it seems more sensor related then bad FI.

btw.. do you use 93 octane.. I clean out my FI with a can of Berryman's B-12 every once in a while. Just stick that or a can of seafoam in your gas tank when you fill up and it will clean up your fuel system and FI.

PM 01tl4tl or another knowledgable member if you don't get feedback here.. they will probably have some real insight.. I'm definitely missing the connection..
Old 01-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Let's think about this. You're losing coolant. You have a bad 02. Coolant kills 02s. Blown headgasket...
Old 01-23-2009, 05:13 PM

Blown HG.. well Zigma.. you may not be inclined but I'd open that puppy up and check it out.. check the plugs.. check your oil level.

Ask the stealership if they'll check your compression levels..
Do you notice a foul smell when you turn on the heater? Good call IHC.. It wouldn't have occured to me.. I've never seen a thread on 3G with someone who has a blown HG.

Definitely take it out of there if they're not willing to check without tacking on $$$
Old 01-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Racer

It sucks that my knowledge of cars isn't as that good. I don't know whats going on. I'm gonna go down there tomorrow morning and figure out whats going on face to face. They're up to $220 which is the diagnostics fee. They haven't found anything wrong witht he radiator. They did the compression test and said that the pressure was okay. They said they did a pressure test on the fuel injectors, they said going in was good, but coming out, there was a difference of psi by .2 or so.

Whats an 02? I'll have them check the headgasket. The problem is, I don't have another place to bring my car. I think the best place I can bring it to is the independant shop I talked about but I wish I could bring it to Acura... It's really frustrating but more dissapointed. I lvoe my Car but the more I spend time with it, in and out of the shop. It really feels like a lemon.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Racer

Blown HG.. well Zigma.. you may not be inclined but I'd open that puppy up and check it out.. check the plugs.. check your oil level.

Ask the stealership if they'll check your compression levels..
Do you notice a foul smell when you turn on the heater? Good call IHC.. It wouldn't have occured to me.. I've never seen a thread on 3G with someone who has a blown HG.

Definitely take it out of there if they're not willing to check without tacking on $$$
No foul smell when I turn on the heater.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 PM

There are a lot of good independent shops that do quality work at a fraction of the cost, which your warranty company will like. Zigma the good thing about you is there is a whole bunch of real good shops in NYC and better yet.. There's a lot of very experienced well-to-know Azine members in your area..

PM Tripnbeats.. he may be able to give you some local advice. You did the right thing taking the car back (you did right?.. sounds like you did anyways). I went back and looked at your posts and I missed a whole bunch of stuff.. smoke coming out your exhaust when you turn on the heater.. bad o2 sensor (o2 = oxygen)..

I have always gotten great advice from 01tl4tl and I Hate Cars.. Looks like they followed your symptoms and already had in mind what it could be.. My opinion, find a reputable honest shop that does quality work on Honda / Acura and get a 2nd opinion and estimate.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Coolant when burned in the engine coats the 02 sensor and ruins it. This would cause the lean reading. You can have them use an emissions analyzer at the radiator with the cap off to see if there are any hydrocarbons in the water.

Compression tests don't always show a leaking headgasket. The sure way to tell is to pull the spark plugs and see if one or two are super clean compared to the rest.

Check under the oil fill cap to make sure water isn't mixing with the oil and there's no condensation on the bottom of the cap.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Racer

There are a lot of good independent shops that do quality work at a fraction of the cost, which your warranty company will like. Zigma the good thing about you is there is a whole bunch of real good shops in NYC and better yet.. There's a lot of very experienced well-to-know Azine members in your area..

PM Tripnbeats.. he may be able to give you some local advice. You did the right thing taking the car back (you did right?.. sounds like you did anyways). I went back and looked at your posts and I missed a whole bunch of stuff.. smoke coming out your exhaust when you turn on the heater.. bad o2 sensor (o2 = oxygen)..

I have always gotten great advice from 01tl4tl and I Hate Cars.. Looks like they followed your symptoms and already had in mind what it could be.. My opinion, find a reputable honest shop that does quality work on Honda / Acura and get a 2nd opinion and estimate.
I'm going tomorrow morning to pick it up and get it the hell out of there. Tripnbeats recommended Acura of Manhattan. I don't know o any good independant shops. Most of them really don't know how to work on Acuras. I looked in the phone book and unfortunately could not find any honda repair shops around here. I would LOVE one but can't find one.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Coolant when burned in the engine coats the 02 sensor and ruins it. This would cause the lean reading. You can have them use an emissions analyzer at the radiator with the cap off to see if there are any hydrocarbons in the water.

Compression tests don't always show a leaking headgasket. The sure way to tell is to pull the spark plugs and see if one or two are super clean compared to the rest.

Check under the oil fill cap to make sure water isn't mixing with the oil and there's no condensation on the bottom of the cap.
I will def keep this in mind and bring it up tomorrow. The information i've gotten so far from you, 01tl4tl, Majofo, Tripnbeats and ankur914 have given me confidence to not just take their word for it but ask questions.

To recap:

Car has been using a large amount of coolant lately, no leak found. Water pump is okay.
Car has been producing heavy white smoke when heater is set to high
Power steering moan/whine is there, Oring, not Power steering.
Valley Stream said all fuel injectors need to be replaced which sound like a misdiag, especially at 54,000 miles right?
Blown HG? I will have them check this if they actually allow me to go to the car and talk to a tech...

Am I able to get Acura Care warranty with these many miles and year?

Last edited by Zigma; 01-23-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Racer

I got the car back from Acura, The check engine light is off. I drove for about 20 miles and no light, good!

They did both recalls, (wipers, power steering pump hose) and it looks good. I don't hear the whine anyore but I'll have to wait to start the car from a cold start.

As far as their test... I had to pay $234 dollars for the test they ran which found nothing.

The error code that the car was throwing was 0174. After that, I took it to the only independant shop that has done right by me and he looked at the report and asked me if I put gas in the car while the engine was still on. I looked down and remember that I did it twice when I was at a full service stop... He told me thats prob what happend and that I can't do that.

He told me to continue driving and see if it pops up again, if not to bring it to his shop and he'll do right by me.

I still have a half tank of gas. I'll go to the local autozone and pick up what was recommended, Berryman's B-12. Do I just pour it in and thats it?
Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Berryman's B-12 by Chemtool. Get the fuel system cleaner.. It's about $6. Be careful because that stuff will definitely strip your paint.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 PM
Racer

Berryman's B-12 by Chemtool. Get the fuel system cleaner.. It's about $6. Be careful because that stuff will definitely strip your paint.

I wasn't able to find Berrman's B-12, So I got Techron Fuel System Cleaner. It was the most expensive one there so I figure it was the best one.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:28 PM

Most expensive? I put that in my tank every fill-up.. j.k. Techron is good stuff and it is expensive. I haven't heard anything bad about it. How much did you pay for it?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Racer

Most expensive? I put that in my tank every fill-up.. j.k. Techron is good stuff and it is expensive. I haven't heard anything bad about it. How much did you pay for it?
16 dollars or so with tax. I asked for b12 but unfortunately they didnt have it. My inexperienced way decided to get the best one they had as far as price/brand since I guess you can't go wrong.